Not sure what to do Postbacc vs SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

distillation

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in dire need of some help. I am not really sure what to do. To give a recap, I graduated in May of 2014 with a 3.3 cGPA and 3.0 sGPA. I graduated with a double major in Biology and Economics. I am more certain than I ever was that I would like to go for my MD. However, I am 22 years old and do not have the intention on applying directly to medical school. I am slightly concerned with my age; if I cannot improve myself sufficiently over the next two years, I will likely pursue my other preferred career outside of medicine.

Since graduating, I spent the whole summer traveling and returned in September. I began preparing for a January 2015 MCAT test date from September-Jan. And took the test on Jan 23, 2015. I got my results back in February. Essentially, I bombed the MCAT got a 24, much lower than I had expected. It was then I decided to postpone applying to some graduate programs that cycle.

Since March, I began applying to various biology (lab technician, research assistant) and economic-related (data analyst, consultant, etc.) jobs. Unfortunately, I have yet to get an offer although I have had a few interviews.

Now it is the end of May, and I have been officially graduated for one year without doing much. I am enrolled in a MCAT 2015 course scheduled to start in June, which can be adjusted.

My current plan is to retake the MCAT and achieve the best score that I can. To ensure this I would like to give myself as much time as possible to prepare. At the same time, I will continue to apply to jobs and if accepted would work and study for the MCAT simultaneously.

In order to improve myself as a candidate for MD schools, I was strongly considering SMP last year, but didn't perform on the MCAT. I have already researched a few SMP and postbaccs last year. I know some of the SMPs I looked into were Rolling Admissions starting in September. So, it is critical I choose a proper test date where I will have my score back and everything else completed when the cycle opens. Rehashing my current situation, I just was wondering if I could be offered any advice as to whether a postbacc or a SMP would be more beneficial for me? I just want to ensure I am making the proper decision. Once I have a better idea of my plan, I can revisit my previous research and create a list of programs to apply to. I am also open to any other advice one can offer me considering my situation.

Sorry for all the jumble, but I get really anxious when dealing with this. And I hope this is the proper forum for this post.

TL;DR: 22 y.o, May 2014 Econ/Bio grad. 3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA. Trying to determine if SMP or Postbacc is better for my situation. I have already postponed applying to them last year because of mediocre MCAT score. Studying now for retake, need any advice on strengthening myself as a candidate. Whether that would be achieved better through postbacc or smp? Or any other advice on what to do in my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

You have already taken the pre-reqs, hence an SMP would be more beneficial. That being said, what makes you think you can perform in an SMP at the moment? Your lackluster GPA and MCAT score don't bode well for your chances. An underperformance in an SMP will kill your chances at medical school. Not trying to be insulting, just pointing out that you have yet to prove yourself academically. Also, you will need to finish the SMP before applying to med school. This means you are, at a minimum, three years away form matriculating. If I were you I would:
1.) Take a year's worth of classes at a JC and ace them (many will disagree with me on this, but I think it's important to hone your skills as a student before doing an SMP)
2.) Crush the MCAT
3.) Do an SMP and get 3.7+

That being said, medical school is within your reach if you are willing to put in the work, and time, required.

Cheers

You have already taken the pre-reqs, hence an SMP would be more beneficial. That being said, what makes you think you can perform in an SMP at the moment? Your lackluster GPA and MCAT score don't bode well for your chances. An underperformance in an SMP will kill your chances at medical school. Not trying to be insulting, just pointing out that you have yet to prove yourself academically. Also, you will need to finish the SMP before applying to med school. This means you are, at a minimum, three years away form matriculating. If I were you I would:
1.) Take a year's worth of classes at a JC and ace them (many will disagree with me on this, but I think it's important to hone your skills as a student before doing an SMP)
2.) Crush the MCAT
3.) Do an SMP and get 3.7+

That being said, medical school is within your reach if you are willing to put in the work, and time, required.

Cheers
Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. I agree that if I fail to ace a SMP than I will be eliminating my chances of attending medical school. I am not going to create excuses for myself, but I think my GPA isn't reflective of my potential academic performance. Much of the past issues can be attributed to personal issues, which I believe have since been resolved. Ultimately, I wasn't sure if this is what I wanted to do and thus, didn't apply myself for it. However, the MCAT is my issue. I can confidently say that I didn't prep well and can certainly improve. Assuming I can make a vast improvement on my MCAT score (~85-95th percentile) in the upcoming months, it seems you would suggest doing an SMP.

Hello, thank you for taking the time to reply. I agree that if I fail to ace a SMP than I will be eliminating my chances of attending medical school. I am not going to create excuses for myself, but I think my GPA isn't reflective of my potential academic performance. Much of the past issues can be attributed to personal issues, which I believe have since been resolved. Ultimately, I wasn't sure if this is what I wanted to do and thus, didn't apply myself for it. However, the MCAT is my issue. I can confidently say that I didn't prep well and can certainly improve. Assuming I can make a vast improvement on my MCAT score (~85-95th percentile) in the upcoming months, it seems you would suggest doing an SMP.
If MD is what you are looking for, then yes I think an SMP is necessary. Keep in mind you will not be competitive for SMPs without a strong MCAT score.

Cheers