Not sure what to identify as for AMCAS help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dcnetsfan77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am 100% Turkish, with ancestry from ancient Assyria (also technically making me aramaen) ...now I think I should put down white on AMCAS but at the same time Turkey is considered to be Asia...

Only reason I am thinking about this is that last year there were 25000 white applicants and 9000 Asian applicants, give or take...

So I have 2 choices (and I really am not trying to fool the Adcoms):

1. White
2. Asian (other) - Turkish
3. Other- Aramaen

Anyone have advice on this? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If someone came upto you with a street survey, what would you say? What box did you check off for college? Voter registration? Census? Just because this is an application does not change the group you identify with. Don't overthink it, just answer honestly.

If you look white, just put white.

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't being Asian worse than being White with regards to applying to medical school?

Nonetheless, as mentioned above, just list whatever you've been listing in the past.

You are not Asian. Turkish people are not considered Asian, they are middle eastern.

Don't do yourself a disfavor by checking Asian box. If you check Asian most people would be surprised to see a Turkish person show up.

Reactions: 1 users
Middle easterners are considered white when it comes to census polls and applications.

Reactions: 1 user
you're white

Yes, it's on the Asian continent, but you're Caucasian (the Caucasus are also on the Aisan mainland.)

Hey guys,

I am 100% Turkish, with ancestry from ancient Assyria (also technically making me aramaen) ...now I think I should put down white on AMCAS but at the same time Turkey is considered to be Asia...

Only reason I am thinking about this is that last year there were 25000 white applicants and 9000 Asian applicants, give or take...

So I have 2 choices (and I really am not trying to fool the Adcoms):

1. White
2. Asian (other) - Turkish
3. Other- Aramaen

Anyone have advice on this? thanks