Not sure which schools are a good fit for me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sai111394

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently retook the MCAT (old one 27) got a 509. I am currently a Fulbright ETA in Spain, and just wanted some help as to where i should apply. I am a CA resident (I know huge disadvantage).

Stats: MCAT 509
sGPA: 3.87, overall GPA: 3.9
Majored in Biology, minored in Spanish.
Graduated with honors, 1 publication (4th author) in Nature genetics.
Extensive shadowing, worked as a Spanish translator/ medical assistant in underserved clinics!
Years of dance, teaching, etc.
Fulbright recipient for an ETA to Spain, am teaching biology and english, as well as volunteering with the Red Cross here to help recent refugees.
Would anyone be able to help me focus my search for MD programs? I know I wouldn't be very competitive at the top 50 or even most UCs, so I'm looking an OOS schools that take people from CA. What do you all think?

Thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest the following:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons. Start your list with Touro-CA, both Westerns and PacNW

UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Recently retook the MCAT (old one 27) got a 509. I am currently a Fulbright ETA in Spain, and just wanted some help as to where i should apply. I am a CA resident (I know huge disadvantage).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Goro! Do you think the Fulbright/publication would somewhat makeup for the bad MCAT?
I suggest the following:

Rush (note: very service/experience oriented with a 150hr service requirement. Avg student has 800 hours of community service, and >1800 hours of health care exposure.)
NYMC
Creighton
Albany
Rosy Franklin
Drexel
Temple
Loma Linda (but read their list of don'ts)
MCW
St. Louis U
WVU
Jefferson
Tulane
Loyola
U Miami
Wake Forest
VCU
Netter
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, LUCOM or Wm Carey, for different reasons. Start your list with Touro-CA, both Westerns and PacNW

UCI
UCD
UCR IF you're from the Inland Empire

Have you looked at the MSAR to find schools that accept at least 15% oos, have a median MCAT around 30 and receive <10K applications?
Yes I have, but I'm wondering as to whether I should concentrate solely on DO because of my MCAT.