Note taking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowyDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are you guys planning on taking notes in school? Electronically or old school? If electronic, tablet (iPad or something else), or laptop? I'm torn on what to do. Thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to use a combination of a tablet, laptop, and old school notebook. I plan on using the tablet primarily for taking pictures and recording lectures. I'll decide on whether to use a laptop or notebook once I see how the class is structured. Probably use a laptop for note taking, and the notebook for drawing pictures.

I like the idea of importing slides into an app such as OneNote and being able to add personal commentary on the slides as the professor progresses through the notes. I think...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I like the idea of importing slides into an app such as OneNote and being able to add personal commentary on the slides as the professor progresses through the notes. I think...
I've been doing that in undergrad using an app called Notability, and I'll probably continue using it through PT school. It lets you import slides and write/type/draw on them. It's definitely a lot easier carrying an iPad around vs. multiple binders and notebooks.

OneNote for me. Been using it for a while. I use a Surface Pro 2, so I can do handwritten notes, type, do drawings, highlight slides... It has worked out for me. Here is a good example of typical notes:

6oxsxWw.png

8v4P865.png

Reactions: 1 user
One note if you have surface pro, notability if you have iPad. You can do visa-versa and it still works fine, but I've found that using the note-taking app that was originally designed for your device can be a little more intuitive. I honestly haven't tried it on Android tablets. And there is seriously a plethora of note-taking apps out there, but I've looked at several and I still think the mainstream/most popular ones are probably the best ones.

One note if you have surface pro, notability if you have iPad. You can do visa-versa and it still works fine, but I've found that using the note-taking app that was originally designed for your device can be a little more intuitive. I honestly haven't tried it on Android tablets. And there is seriously a plethora of note-taking apps out there, but I've looked at several and I still think the mainstream/most popular ones are probably the best ones.
Is Notability first party?

Is Notability first party?

Do you mean is it sold directly by Apple? Sorry not familiar with what you mean...but no it isn't distributed by Apple if that's what you mean. But I believe it was intially developed for use on the ipad, and using an ipad that's the notetaking software I've found to be the most intuitive to figure out how to use. But onenote is great and the surface pro gets a lot of good reviews so I figure they are good together. OneNote does have better palm rejection than notability, but they both work great.

OneNote on the iPad however does not have palm rejection, I believe only on the surface pro it does.

OneNote on the iPad however does not have palm rejection, I believe only on the surface pro it does.

One note on my ipad air 2 does have palm rejection, but it can be a little glitchy at times.