Notifying Pending Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gemgrrrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the etiquette is on notifying other schools that you accepted an offer? I am still waiting to hear from two schools, but got accepted by my IS, so I am definitely going there. Can the other schools see that on the VMCAS system, or do you need to notify them individually?

Members don't see this ad.

Notifying them is always best and recommended, especially for the students on the waitlist's sake.

I'm not sure if it's noted on VMCAS but I doubt schools are going to be checking your application. Best bet is to email/call them.

Congrats on being accepted!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I would just call and follow up with an e-mail. I think it is super polite to let schools know that you have accepted an offer so that you get taken out of the system as soon as possible and other people have a better chance of getting in. On the flip side, I think it is super rude if you were to just let it be and not notify them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't think of just letting it ride. I know there are lots of people waiting to get those seats. I just remember one of the admissions people I spoke to saying that they could see an appliants status with other schools on VMCAS.

I would just call and follow up with an e-mail. I think it is super polite to let schools know that you have accepted an offer so that you get taken out of the system as soon as possible and other people have a better chance of getting in. On the flip side, I think it is super rude if you were to just let it be and not notify them.

Just to be clear, these are both schools that don't interview OOS, and I haven't even gotten an offer from either of them at this point. I think that's a little bit different than sitting on an interview spot or an offer that I knew I wasn't interested in. I agree that doing either one would be incredibly rude, and inconsiderate of the other applicants, and would never do something like that. I just wasn't sure if they would see in VMCAS that I had accepted an offer.

@Gemgrrrl I did this with two schools already and both were very polite and wished me the best of luck. I just sent a short and sweet email to the admissions contact email (thank you for considering me, but I am withdrawing my application thank you again for your time). One responded later that day and the other I called to follow up that they had in fact received the email (they did, they were just too busy to reply)

Just to be clear, these are both schools that don't interview OOS, and I haven't even gotten an offer from either of them at this point. I think that's a little bit different than sitting on an interview spot or an offer that I knew I wasn't interested in. I agree that doing either one would be incredibly rude, and inconsiderate of the other applicants, and would never do something like that. I just wasn't sure if they would see in VMCAS that I had accepted an offer.

Honestly, to me, there really is no difference. Like you said, you don't know where you are on their lists. Unless you're on their rejection list, letting them know that you are not going to accept any offer from them would only help others on the waitlists, whether or not you know where you stand with them.

I wasn't saying that I thought you would do such a thing; I was simply voicing my opinion on your question on whether or not you should directly inform the schools by e-mailing them or calling them. I have never heard of schools being informed of an applicant accepting another school's offer through VMCAS. I know that for CSU, they do not look at VMCAS again after they convert all the students' information to their own system, and there are a few other schools who do the same that I know of. I should have added that in my earlier post.

So I call both and withdrew my application. Like ck76 said, they were both really polite and thanked me. One was so nice about it that I almost had second thoughts about waiting to see if I got an offer from them! I didn't ask if they saw it in VMCAS or not, so I don't know what the deal is with that.