Nova or NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need pros and cons for NYU and Nova because I can't decide. Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Grats on both schools!!!!

Do you want to study on the beach drinking an iced tea or do enjoy wearing 4 layers of jackets and stepping through slush for six months of the year?

@Incis0r Haha Thank you! You make a valid point, but which is better in terms of the future? Is it easier to specialize/get a residency position in either of the two places?
Also, is it easier to graduate in either of the two places?
I've heard some worrisome rumors about NYU, but people around the world know the name, so it might be beneficial in the future.
Can anyone clear up the bit about the rumors? I've called NYU, and of course they deny that students are dropped/weeded out (idk why I even bothered calling about it, not like they would tell me otherwise). Although, part of me does believe that it's just mudslinging from other dental schools/students, but who really knows, right?
So, any advice/ideas?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm is there a significant cost difference?

Last edited:
Hmm is there a significant cost difference?

Also, this is a thread with the same comparison that got 29 replies- maybe it'll help some!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/nyu-or-nova.1053913/
Thanks! I took a peek at this thread earlier and it was super helpful, but I was wondering if anyone had any additional input.
As for cost, NYU and Nova are both private institutions, but cost of living is significantly more expensive in NYC than Davie, FL.
Aside from weather and cost, is there any academic, financial, or any type of future benefit/advantage/disadvantage to attending one school over the other?

Sorry I couldn't help more :( Don't know anything about those two.

Sorry I couldn't help more :( Don't know anything about those two.
No no, you were a great help! Thanks so much for the time and info. Always helpful to mull it over with someone. :happy:

Hi Kavity. I'm the author of the thread mentioned above. I had the exact same decision to make last year. I chose Nova and never looked back. If you have any questions about NYU or Nova please let me know.

Reactions: 2 users
In dentistry, school prestige isn't really a factor ... in almost anything.

The way I see it, the lower the COA the better. Both schools will prep you well for GP and decent for specializing.

Next is the location. If you really like NYC then choose NYU. If you like sunny beaches and Miami and hurricanes then go to Nova.

Reactions: 1 users
Nova. Nyu is more money and more stress. I would choose Nyu if i was from NY tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cost of living is significantly more in NY and at NYU you rent your instruments whereas at Nova you buy them. Also 125 seats is more preferable than 350+

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, all! Keep the advice coming! :)

Current D2 at NYU here. Go for the school that's cheapest to attend. NYU has a huge class size (350+) so if you're a bit of a slacker, you'll like it (you'll get away with not going to lecture for big classes at 8am). But this also makes for a less personal experience with the professors and all that unless you're super personable/pretty. NYU is all about money... charges you for really dumb things like vitalbook (online textbook that you rarely use) but stingy on essentials at times. Plus costs of living in the city are one of the highest in the nation. First two years at NYU are rough but after that, it seems to be pretty much smooth sailing with clinic in the 3rd and 4th years. NYU's got one of the highest written board pass rates... also something to consider. We make great clinicians once we're out of school and it's cause we're graded pretty strictly in labs. So many pros and cons to consider. Good luck.

Current D2 at NYU here. Go for the school that's cheapest to attend. NYU has a huge class size (350+) so if you're a bit of a slacker, you'll like it (you'll get away with not going to lecture for big classes at 8am). But this also makes for a less personal experience with the professors and all that unless you're super personable/pretty. NYU is all about money... charges you for really dumb things like vitalbook (online textbook that you rarely use) but stingy on essentials at times. Plus costs of living in the city are one of the highest in the nation. First two years at NYU are rough but after that, it seems to be pretty much smooth sailing with clinic in the 3rd and 4th years. NYU's got one of the highest written board pass rates... also something to consider. We make great clinicians once we're out of school and it's cause we're graded pretty strictly in labs. So many pros and cons to consider. Good luck.
All in all, Nova is cheaper than NYU and cost of living is definitely cheaper in Florida.
The clinic in NYU is incredible, but Nova graduates don't seem to be having any issues finding work post-graduation.
I really appreciate all the info!

I loved nyc/nyu but chose nova bc its cheaper in coa and living, smaller class size, proximity to home, and just got an overall better vibe during my interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Excited to say that there's a 99.9% chance I'll be seeing you there! Congrats on the acceptances!!

Reactions: 1 users
Nova class of 2014 grad here. Go to nova. People will find reasons to complain about anything, and there has been an anti-nova sentiment on here for years. I'm very happy I went there, I got a great education, met people who will be friends for life, and lived in ft laud/Miami for four years. I wouldn't trade me experience there for anywhere. I'm a third generation dentist and didn't go to the school my dad and grandpa went, and I'm completely fine with that. Hit me up if you guys have questions.

Reactions: 2 users
Any particular reason why?
Great location, awesome opportunities to specialize, a great clinical approach to the education plus a high passing rate for the boards. I was fortunate enough to tour the campus and meet with students and faculty. They're definitely gonna get my application come June.

Yes. Go to the chapter school, without question. Some schools that charge lots of money will talk about how their clinical experience is comparatively great or their boards passing rate is really high as if any of this means anything. The reality is that your clinical educatuon is highly dependent on your motivation regardless of school and I find it highly suspect that any single person can comment on the relative strength of their program's clinical education without ever having gone to another dental school. Additionally, I would be absolutely floored if any school has a boards passing rate lower than 90%. Passing boards is incredibly easy and 99% of people disregard everything from their first two years of didactic curriculum and use the same exact source material to study as every other dental student in the country, namely Dental Decks or First Aid.

Go to the cheaper school.