Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Judging by the language... No, that's not fine. It says at least 2.0/C in ALL courses.

I highly doubt that. "C" in all REQUIRED courses, maybe. That's reasonable and something most medical schools abide by... but a "C" in all courses? That seems ridiculously harsh.

Members don't see this ad.

I highly doubt that. "C" in all REQUIRED courses, maybe. That's reasonable and something most medical schools abide by... but a "C" in all courses? That seems ridiculously harsh.

I meant for all pre-reqs. It was more or less implied in response to the original question but I didn't make that clear, my bad. Anyways the original question was about a chemistry 1 grade, which is a required course.

I meant for all pre-reqs. It was more or less implied in response to the original question but I didn't make that clear, my bad. Anyways the original question was about a chemistry 1 grade, which is a required course.

Ah, gotcha. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in NSUCOM. I plan on getting my application in here soon. I am a TN resident and had 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have over a year of experience (>2000 hrs) as an ER Scribe under my belt and I am about to start as a Medical Assistant at the largest Cardiology Clinic in the city. Any chance at getting in with that MCAT score?

I am interested in NSUCOM. I plan on getting my application in here soon. I am a TN resident and had 3.5 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have over a year of experience (>2000 hrs) as an ER Scribe under my belt and I am about to start as a Medical Assistant at the largest Cardiology Clinic in the city. Any chance at getting in with that MCAT score?

Same answer to your post in the LECOM-B thread... It will pretty difficult with that score. In fact, it will be difficult anywhere with retaking it. Best of luck!

Same as LECOM-B. No retake that MCAT, you need at least a 25 to have a shot.

Anything is possible. You could try, or you could re-take and avoid that chance of wasting a bunch of money on apps. I think you could get in so long as the schools love you in your interviews, but I'd just go for the re-take before the application.

Yeah I am taking it again July 6th and used the Kaplan course so hoping to get my score higher. We will see. Should I go ahead and apply and put that my new score will be coming to them? Or just hold out and wait until score comes back?

Yeah I am taking it again July 6th and used the Kaplan course so hoping to get my score higher. We will see. Should I go ahead and apply and put that my new score will be coming to them? Or just hold out and wait until score comes back?

I will not try to decide your fate and therefore have no answer for you.

If you think you can seriously study with in the time frame of keeping a competitive app then you are showing that you are just not ready to apply yet. Study properly, make sure your test scores are where they need to be then apply.

Watching Miami's game, it's hilarious... I promise I'll go for the finals next year provided I've been admitted to NSUCOM... :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Is knowing spanish almost an unwritten requirement at this school? I see it's an elective in the cirriculum but I was under the impression that it is pretty essential. I'd imagine many of the rotations would be somewhat troublesome without it.

I picked up Rosetta Stone and hope to learn as much as I can by the time I matriculate. I am frequently around a highly hispanic population but I don't know if I can become anywhere close to where I need to be in such a short time to communicate effectively.

Does anybody know if NSU grants interviews without having LORs (if they know they are on the way from the prehealth committee)? I am currently waiting for my pre-health committee to complete my packet, but they are saying it will be September when they send it out. I am debating whether I should just do letters only service or wait for the packet to be complete. Any help is much appreciated.

Somethings are worth spending, I don't have a scorpion in my pocket.

:laugh: You may not have a scorpion in your pocket, but after tuition and living expenses in Davie you probably won't have $400+ for one nose-bleed ticket either.

:laugh: You may not have a scorpion in your pocket, but after tuition and living expenses in Davie you probably won't have $400+ for one nose-bleed ticket either.
I know man, it was just a wish coming from strong excitement :D... I love NSU.

I know man, it was just a wish coming from strong excitement :D... I love NSU.

I know exactly what you mean, I am just bitter the Heat went and won :(.. I'm a Magic fan, and I would have sold my car to go to the finals if they went again :D

Meh... I don't care much for B-ball.... Futbol now that is a game... Euro cup= winning

I feel the same way. In fact, futbol is the only sport I have ever played. Too bad the US men's team didn't qualify for the Olympics.

No it is not ok. You will be rejected if you don't retake that course. Who the hell let you take Chem 2 after you got a D in chem 1

I got a D in Bio 2 and didn't have a problem moving on.

A "D" is passing for some schools.

CCOM's website says anything C- or lower is unacceptable. I emailed the dean to find out how strict about that they are.

So NSU doesn't have a secondary essay, right? Just a general information form?

CCOM's website says anything C- or lower is unacceptable. I emailed the dean to find out how strict about that they are.

So NSU doesn't have a secondary essay, right? Just a general information form?

Yes it's just general information, like the information we already provided on the primary. I believe they ask about our experience with a DO (their institution, alma mater, etc.), but other than that I think it's pretty basic. Someone else please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that I am.

As for the grade concern, it was my previous understanding that you must have a C or better in all required coursework. If you took an elective like Astronomy or Intro to Music or something and got a D it really wouldn't matter (except for the effect it has on your cGPA). However, while in undergraduate most university's require >C- for all classes which will count toward your degree. I'm sorry if that doesn't pertain to you or if you were already aware. I'm with you though; you DO NOT need >C- in all courses to apply to get a secondary or an interview. It will hurt your chances solely because it will show up on your transcripts and thus your application packet. I did see that you said you got a D in Bio II. If that is the case, you might have to retake depending on whether the school requires 6-8 semester hours of biology (most do). It is either retake or replace with another biology course such as Microbiology and/or Molecular Biology. You did the best thing by contacting the admissions office, so all this advice will probably end up being useless. Anyway, I hope that helps a little :/

Yes it's just general information, like the information we already provided on the primary. I believe they ask about our experience with a DO (their institution, alma mater, etc.), but other than that I think it's pretty basic. Someone else please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that I am.

As for the grade concern, it was my previous understanding that you must have a C or better in all required coursework. If you took an elective like Astronomy or Intro to Music or something and got a D it really wouldn't matter (except for the effect it has on your cGPA). However, while in undergraduate most university's require >C- for all classes which will count toward your degree. I'm sorry if that doesn't pertain to you or if you were already aware. I'm with you though; you DO NOT need >C- in all courses to apply to get a secondary or an interview. It will hurt your chances solely because it will show up on your transcripts and thus your application packet. I did see that you said you got a D in Bio II. If that is the case, you might have to retake depending on whether the school requires 6-8 semester hours of biology (most do). It is either retake or replace with another biology course such as Microbiology and/or Molecular Biology. You did the best thing by contacting the admissions office, so all this advice will probably end up being useless. Anyway, I hope that helps a little :/

Well, you may be right for NSU and other schools, but the dean of CCOM just emailed me back saying that they do not make exceptions to their "No C-" policy. All classes, all levels of education. C- = not getting in.

I got a D in Bio 2 and didn't have a problem moving on.

A "D" is passing for some schools.

Wow... Didn't know that.... Ds will get you academic probation from my undergrad and grades less then a C not count towards pre-recs... You would have to retake at my UG....

I am really interested in NSU! Do they have an in-state preference? I have a borderline GPA so I have my fingers crossed that I am going to rock the MCAT in July. Here's to hoping for NSU.

Anyone know what the average stats for last years matriculants looked like?

Well, you may be right for NSU and other schools, but the dean of CCOM just emailed me back saying that they do not make exceptions to their "No C-" policy. All classes, all levels of education. C- = not getting in.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that :( That is the first I have ever heard of something like that.

Well I've taken A&P 1, A&P 2, Microbiology, Genetics, and a few other upper level Bio classes and got A's in all of them. I doubt any human looking at a those As will care much about a D in Bio2 my freshman year. I have an upward trend from ~1.6 freshman year to 3.76 senior year and 4.0 pb. Hopefully that helps :) I'm retaking Bio 1 in the fall, and if necessary Bio 2 in the spring though.

Just paid the $50 we will see!

There's a rumor going around that last year a bunch of students filled out a secondary before getting the invite and all of them were flat out rejected. Just saying.

To the two of you who already submitted the secondary, you are not supposed to do that unless you are directly invited to do so by the university. You may have to do it twice.

To the two of you who already submitted the secondary, you are not supposed to do that unless you are directly invited to do so by the university. You may have to do it twice.
Ha... completely missed your post here UCFKnight... sorry about that....

I doubt you will have to pay again but you may have to send in the paperwork again.... I believe this happened on last years thread but I maybe mistaken....

Yea i was thinking that but it was only a few clicks and a couple of questions no real essays

Hi everyone! I am applying to NOVA too! It's in my top 3 choices. I'm just waiting on my MCAT score. I took it June 21st. AHHHH!!! So nerve wracking!!

I'm a little worried about my academic record because I do still have a C- on my transcript in a freshman biology class along with a D in a chem class that I re-took. I do have a really strong upward trend though. My cumulative is 3.4, science 3.2, non science 3.59. I'm also a non-traditional student just like many of you. I have really good letters of recommendation, the DO that's writing my letter went to NOVA too which is going to really help! My work experience is good too. I'm just mostly worried about my bad grades my freshman year. I submitted my AACOMAS the first day it was open but my MCAT score is the only thing pending. Do you guys know if I'll get a secondary without my MCAT score or do they wait for the score?

Nice to meet you all! Maybe we'll be future classmates! :D

Hi everyone! I am applying to NOVA too! It's in my top 3 choices. I'm just waiting on my MCAT score. I took it June 21st. AHHHH!!! So nerve wracking!!

I'm a little worried about my academic record because I do still have a C- on my transcript in a freshman biology class along with a D in a chem class that I re-took. I do have a really strong upward trend though. My cumulative is 3.4, science 3.2, non science 3.59. I'm also a non-traditional student just like many of you. I have really good letters of recommendation, the DO that's writing my letter went to NOVA too which is going to really help! My work experience is good too. I'm just mostly worried about my bad grades my freshman year. I submitted my AACOMAS the first day it was open but my MCAT score is the only thing pending. Do you guys know if I'll get a secondary without my MCAT score or do they wait for the score?

Did you retake the Biology class that you got a C- in too? On NOVA's website they say you need to score higher than a 2.0 in this course in order for it to count. Unless I am wrong (I don't think I am), a C- is a 1.75, so you may have to retake that course as well. Also, I believe you will need a MCAT score before they will give you a secondary since this is how many schools pre-screen applicants. I may be wrong about that, but, if I am, I know you won't get an interview offer until you get an MCAT score (but you should have it still in plenty of time for that). If I were you I would call the admissions office and ask about the C-. I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but someone needed to tell you ASAP before it is too late. Best of luck!!

You should get a secondary invite without an MCAT score but wow... kind of taking a risk applying without an MCAT. I mean if you get hosed by the MCAT what are you going to tell the medical schools?

Did you retake the Biology class that you got a C- in too? On NOVA's website they say you need to score higher than a 2.0 in this course in order for it to count. Unless I am wrong (I don't think I am), a C- is a 1.75, so you may have to retake that course as well. Also, I believe you will need a MCAT score before they will give you a secondary since this is how many schools pre-screen applicants. I may be wrong about that, but, if I am, I know you won't get an interview offer until you get an MCAT score (but you should have it still in plenty of time for that). If I were you I would call the admissions office and ask about the C-. I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but someone needed to tell you ASAP before it is too late. Best of luck!!

I did not retake that class I got a C- in. That would be really sad if I had to repeat that class. Even if they don't count that class, I have 30 more biology credits of straight A's and if they make me retake a freshman biology course I'd be pretty bummed out. My pre-med adviser didn't see it as a big problem since I did so well in the rest of my biology courses. I guess I need to call to be sure.

You should get a secondary invite without an MCAT score but wow... kind of taking a risk applying without an MCAT. I mean if you get hosed by the MCAT what are you going to tell the medical schools?
I know it's a risk and if I bomb the MCAT then I have some explaining to do. I'm hoping that I don't bomb the MCAT. I was doing fairly well on the practices but you never know I guess.

I did not retake that class I got a C- in. That would be really sad if I had to repeat that class. Even if they don't count that class, I have 30 more biology credits of straight A's and if they make me retake a freshman biology course I'd be pretty bummed out. My pre-med adviser didn't see it as a big problem since I did so well in the rest of my biology courses. I guess I need to call to be sure.

C- in a prerec is a deal breaker.... Retake it. Let them know you are retaking it and report your new grade as soon as you get it.

C- in a prerec is a deal breaker.... Retake it. Let them know you are retaking it and report your new grade as soon as you get it.

You have got to be kidding me. My pre-med adviser didn't think it was a problem. Even after 30 credits of straight A's in upper level biology courses?

I think I'm going to be sick.