Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice answer, solid rotations are a big + in my book. I don't think medical students should have travel all over the country figuring out all of their rotations by themselves. This may work for some, but I prefer a more concrete plan going in - especially with a family.

NSU-COM M1 here. I'll be around to answer questions along with the incoming M1s of this cycle.

Buckle up and Good luck!

NSU-COM M1 here. I'll be around to answer questions along with the incoming M1s of this cycle.

Buckle up and Good luck!

1) Can we get a "day in the life of"
2) reasonable housing near campus?
3) is there anything you wish you would have known prior to picking nova?

And thanks alot!

How well do reapplicants especially people waitlisted in a previous cycle do when reapplying?

1) Can we get a "day in the life of"

Any aspect of student life you're interested in knowing more about?

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays are usually the longest days of the week during the first semester (typically 8am-3pm on Monday, and 8am-5 pm Wednesday/Thursday). Tuesdays and Fridays are pretty chill (8am-12pm: some people have IGC (Interdisciplinary Generalist Curriculum) Preceptorship in the afternoons on Tuesdays while others have it on a different afternoon. The IGC course is NSU-COMs way of getting you into the community to shadow primary care physicians (IM, FM, Peds). You also get to shadow a specialty of your choice as part of an Explore Selective.

Second semester the schedule is a little more free in the afternoons. IGC preceptorships spand both pre-clinical years. You switch preceptors at the beginning of M2 year.

You will have time to do the things you enjoy. This is important to avoid burnout. I'm sure you've heard it before, but the difficulty of medical school is not so much about the material itself, but the pace at which the material is presented. Work hard, play hard (within reason ;)).

2) reasonable housing near campus?

Tons. Here are some helpful links:

http://www.nova.edu/reslife/

Off-Campus Housing Guide, apartments are towards the end: http://www.nova.edu/publications/offcampusguide/index.html#/1/

3) is there anything you wish you would have known prior to picking nova?

I don't have any negative things to say. Yeah tuition is expensive, but it is an awesome school with many opportunities. NSU-COM is huge on community outreach, so if that's your thing then make sure to emphasize this in your interviews. NSU-COM is one of the oldest medical schools in the state and has strong connections within the state, especially the South Florida region. Great specialty representation in the matches.

Luckily my parents were able to support me through the first two weeks with extra stuff: club fees, physical exam equipment. However, I understand that not everyone can be financially supported during this period, so be sure to save money, if possible, for the first two to three weeks. Joining clubs can be expensive, but depends on your interests. Clubs offer many perks, including review packets and extra goodies.

And thanks alot!

Anytime

How well do reapplicants especially people waitlisted in a previous cycle do when reapplying?

I'm not sure that I can precisely answer your question. However, I will say that Nova fills up quickly, so get your primary in ASAP, return the secondary ASAP, and have all LORs ready to go ASAP. If you meet what they're looking for, then applying early gives you the best chance at acceptance. I can't stress that enough. Many quality applicants are not successful, for whatever reason, but one thing that sucks is applying late with great stats and either being overlooked or screwed (you might get a late interview, but this almost ensures an alternate list letter the later it gets).

I'm a Florida resident and NSUCOM is my first choice for DO school!

Just wish tuition wasn't so expensive, it's the only thing making me look more towards LECOM-B. Around a $40,000 difference between the two, and I'm sure the cost of living is higher around Nova too.

Guess it won't matter until we all find out where we're getting accepted.

I'm not sure that I can precisely answer your question. However, I will say that Nova fills up quickly, so get your primary in ASAP, return the secondary ASAP, and have all LORs ready to go ASAP. If you meet what they're looking for, then applying early gives you the best chance at acceptance. I can't stress that enough. Many quality applicants are not successful, for whatever reason, but one thing that sucks is applying late with great stats and either being overlooked or screwed (you might get a late interview, but this almost ensures an alternate list letter the later it gets).

Got it, though we can be invited without LORs in though yes?
I sadly only have 2 in atm--not including my DO letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got it, though we can be invited without LORs in though yes?
I sadly only have 2 in atm--not including my DO letter.

I'll defer to an incoming M1 for a more up-to-date synopsis of the admission process. I wasn't missing any letters when I got the interview invite.

jlang2323 said:

If anyone else knows a detailed answer to the question, please feel free to chime in! I am also interested in this.

How is the secondary for this school?

If you guys are bored check out this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=921888 to see what Nova looks like if you haven't already. And yes it really does look like that in real life :D

Indeed--I removed Touro NY from my list due to the pics. I just can't see myself being a good "fit" there.

Edit: I should add--I'm not hating on the school. I'm sure they graduate great Docs--I just don't think I'd be comfortable in New York.

Last edited:
Indeed--I removed Touro NY from my list due to the pics. I just can't see myself being a good "fit" there.

I went on their website trying to find some more pictures but all they have under their facilities section is a generic picture of a cadaver room. Definitely not 'selling it' on their website..

Edit: I should add--I'm not hating on the school. I'm sure they graduate great Docs--I just don't think I'd be comfortable in New York.

Personally, I would love the grittiness of it. It screams "New York". I have family history there. Plus, let's be real. I'd rather go here than no where next year.

For LORs- I have 2 science, 1 primary care MD, and an employer. My only concern is the employer, I know they ask for 2 science and 1 non science so can my employer substitute for this?

For LORs- I have 2 science, 1 primary care MD, and an employer. My only concern is the employer, I know they ask for 2 science and 1 non science so can my employer substitute for this?

Best bet would be to call admissions and ask.

'lo folks!

Stoked on NOVA!

My undergrad roommate goes to the Puerto Rico Pharm school Nova has.

I know Nova is an MCAT slut school but if you have a high GPA to compensate for a slightly low MCAT, would your chances be good? I'm OOS btw.

I suppose it depends on how high the GPA and how low the MCAT. But I think yeah it would compensate as long as you are in the reasonable range, like a point or two below Nova's average.

Definitely doable, would require above average EC's though.

They allowed me to use my employer as non-science...I was accepted without one and then they said that the employer would suffice. Never hurts to shoot them an e-mail though. My situation was that I thought I had a non-science, which they ruled as a 3rd science instead of non-science so I was providing a 5th letter post-acceptance.

I plan on updating NOVA post summer classes where my sGPA should go from 3.2 to about 3.25. I also want to send a DO LoR with that as well. Is there any formal process to updating schools?

Or do we just email them and say:

I have successfully retaken so and so course and have continued to shadow X doctor. I have also sent Nova another LoR yadda yadda??

Tied for one of my number one schools.
cGPA 3.54/sGPA 3.43
Won't take the MCAT until July 2 though. Hopefully early August isn't too late.

The outside is hideous..but the inside is state of the art. They are also going to be the first med school in the country with a virtual anatomy lab available as a resource. I am def bias because I am going there but I declined my NOVA acceptance for Touro because it will become a top school..just because it is in NYC. It already is drawing in a crazy amount of applicants, 6k this year. Their latest match list was also amazing. But on the other hand, NOVA has apartments with year long access to swimming pools, miami right next door, and it is a solid school.

Tied for one of my number one schools.
cGPA 3.54/sGPA 3.43
Won't take the MCAT until July 2 though. Hopefully early August isn't too late.

You'll be fine with a good MCAT. I submitted my secondary early August and got an interview for November. One thing I noticed about Nova in the past cycle is that interview slots fill up fast, meaning you could get an invite but won't interview months later, even into the next year. Drives you nuts waiting for that moment!

#1 school here as well.

Definitely will have my app in around June 1st :thumbup:

MCAT Check
GPA/Class Check
LOR (including DO letter) Check

The only thing thats hurting me (though won't stop me from going here) is the tuition. I have heard if you apply early enough, people have gotten in around Aug and September.

Hello all! I am applying as well! Good luck!!

Last edited:
Hey guys! Good luck to you all this cycle. I was a successful applicant last cycle at Nova. Just a few thoughts:

1. Have your primary and secondary in EARLY. I was lucky to get an interview in January after submitting my secondary in October. Most that interviewed with me got acceptances, but the very next group of interviewees almost all got wait listed. That was early February, and it's getting more competitive every year.

2. I did not have all my letters in when I got an interview invite. Don't hold off on turning in your secondary until they're in. I was still missing a DO/MD and non-science at the time.

3. The school and the people there are really friendly. Interviews are more like conversations to get to know you. Once you get an interview, they know you have the right "numbers". Relax.

4. The campus is beautiful, and it's part of a rapidly growing private university. I seriously loved it when I interviewed there, and so did the others in my interview group.

5. My stats:

cGPA 3.48
sGPA 3.56
MCAT 26P 8 bio, 8 phys, 10 vr

Good luck!!

Yep Nova is my number 1 as well. Hopefully things fall into place for me.

cGpa: 3.15 sGpa: 3.0 ( Iknow they are low)
MCAT:27

Above average EC's, FL resident (30 minutes from school)
Good luck everyone!

Does Nova have a strong regional bias? and If so what kind of stats do I need to still be competitive? I'm OOS (absolutely no ties to the area, but I wouldn't mind settling down in FL) 3.77 cgpa, 3.70 sgpa, 24 MCAT, average-above average ECs.

Last edited:
Does Nova have a strong regional bias? and If so what kind of stats do I need to still be competitive? I'm OOS (absolutely no ties to the area, but I wouldn't mind settling down in FL) 3.76 cgpa, 3.65 sgpa, mcat pending, average-above average ECs.

Here are the class of 2016 stats from their website:

51% in-state
49% out-of-state
Avg Undergrad GPA: 3.42
Avg Science GPA: 3.32
Avg MCAT: 27

So no strong regional bias. Many people come from literally all over the country to Nova. Also, supposedly Nova has been said to prefer good MCAT scores over good GPAs. Your GPAs are almost identical to mine. With an MCAT at a 28 or higher, I'd say the only thing you need to get in is to put on your best interview face.

That kinda sucks that sculpting a good gpa for 3-4 years means nothing. Particularly when the MCAT feels more like a crap shoot with each passing year. Oh well, I'm doing SN2ed and studying my balls off, so if I can't get a 28+ after this then I must not belong there.

That kinda sucks that sculpting a good gpa for 3-4 years means nothing. Particularly when the MCAT feels more like a crap shoot with each passing year. Oh well, I'm doing SN2ed and studying my balls off, so if I can't get a 28+ after this then I must not belong there.

Don't worry, you got this :thumbup:

Est. Room, Board, Books & Living Costs: $41,172/year

Is that accurate?

Est. Room, Board, Books & Living Costs: $41,172/year

Is that accurate?

That sounds about right. The numbers are very inflated though to ensure students have enough money to get by with no problem.