Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete before my letters came in. You don't need letters to get an ii.

So I was complete the second I submitted that secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted june and also have heard nothing from them. i was told initially that they were reviewing oos first but in state people have gotten interviews. i'm with u readyornot

Reactions: 1 user
Haven't heard anything hear yet either...anyone mind sharing their stats? I'm applying with 28 (9,10,9) 3.65 cGPA and 3.25 sGPA OOS...also, what are their averages in the past? and is it different for IS and OOS?

Haven't heard anything hear yet either...anyone mind sharing their stats? I'm applying with 28 (9,10,9) 3.65 cGPA and 3.25 sGPA OOS...also, what are their averages in the past? and is it different for IS and OOS?

30 mcat (11,9,10) ), 3.5sgpa, 3.3cgpa, 3.9 post back, oos

Members don't see this ad :)
3.65 c, 3.43 s, 35 (13,11,11), I have a good amount of clinical experience, but minimal volunteering and research, and I haven't heard anything.

Has anyone interviewed here yet? If so, how did it go? And is 6:30 too early to fly out from FLL the day of the interview?

Edit: because my question made no sense

Last edited:
Complete mid july, still nothing. 30 MCAT, 3.6 sGPA, OOS, strong ECs.

Has anyone interviewed here yet? If so, how did it go? And is 6:30 too early to fly out from FLL the day of the interview?

Edit: because my question made no sense

6:30pm flight out of FLL is perfect! The interview ended right before 4pm, and I had an hour to spare back at the hotel before I took the shuttle to the airport around 5pm to catch a flight back to west coast at 6:30 as well.

The interview itself was very very very relaxing. It was only about 10-15minutes, which is good of course, but I feel like I didn't get to sell myself a lot because of the time limit and the type of questions they asked. They actually do read your application prior and ask you specifics from it and make you relate that into practice of medicine. No ethical questions, make sure you know some stuff about obamacare though. The people who interview you are also NOT members of the adcom, but rather advocates of your application, so their role is to extract info from you and pass on what they wrote down about you to the adcom. Great lunch also! haha

glad i'm not alone in not hearing anything. was just concerned since i had submitted it the very first possible day in June. Called a few times but they said it was still under review and they couldn't give out any other information. Provided periodic status updates. Nothing to do but wait. Alas

6:30pm flight out of FLL is perfect! The interview ended right before 4pm, and I had an hour to spare back at the hotel before I took the shuttle to the airport around 5pm to catch a flight back to west coast at 6:30 as well.

The interview itself was very very very relaxing. It was only about 10-15minutes, which is good of course, but I feel like I didn't get to sell myself a lot because of the time limit and the type of questions they asked. They actually do read your application prior and ask you specifics from it and make you relate that into practice of medicine. No ethical questions, make sure you know some stuff about obamacare though. The people who interview you are also NOT members of the adcom, but rather advocates of your application, so their role is to extract info from you and pass on what they wrote down about you to the adcom. Great lunch also! haha
Thanks for the info. Wow that's so short!! Did you stay at the Hampton by any chance? If so, they provide shuttle back from the school and airport shuttle?

Thanks for the info. Wow that's so short!! Did you stay at the Hampton by any chance? If so, they provide shuttle back from the school and airport shuttle?

I actually did stay at the Hampton Inn in Plantation FL!
Yup, shuttle from the airport to hotel, shuttle to the school in the morning on interview day(10-15min), picked me up from school around 4pm back to hotel, stayed in the hotel lobby area until 5pm and took me back to FLL.

Keep in mind that the earliest shuttle service is at 8am and I was worried that I wouldn't get to campus on time at 8:15am, but I was still fine. You actually just sit there and wait until 8:30ish!

Thanks for info! Mine is in two weeks but luckily I'll be able to stay at home and drive down that morning (40 min drive). Glad it went well though and I hope you hear good news soon! =]

Thanks for info! Mine is in two weeks but luckily I'll be able to stay at home and drive down that morning (40 min drive). Glad it went well though and I hope you hear good news soon! =]
Thanks!! Good luck to you too!

hey, @Fargofargo so, did they focus on EC or did they focus on questions like why DO, NOVA, medicine, what would you do to change healthcare, and tell me about yourself? also how many questions did they get to ask in 10-15 minutes?

Thank you in advance.

hey, @Fargofargo so, did they focus on EC or did they focus on questions like why DO, NOVA, medicine, what would you do to change healthcare, and tell me about yourself? also how many questions did they get to ask in 10-15 minutes?

Thank you in advance.

They focused on EC questions for me. I wasn't even asked of why DO, why NSU, why medicine actually haha. But when they asked me about my personal background or EC, they were kind of implying me to relate that into osteopathic medicine( by asking me " how can this relate to your inspiration to become a DO), so I guess I answered those questions indirectly. I definitely started with a tell me about yourself question though. and for the healthcare questions, they just wanted your opinion on whats good and whats bad about it, to see that you are an informed person. Overall, they asked me about 7-10 questions? All of them were straight forward with no follow ups. They were writing stuff down as you talk but don't forget to make eye contact with both interviewers!

btw, I learned that this school likes to be called NSU, not Nova, since it was a merger between Nova college and Southeastern University.

Good luck!

When was the last time someone got an ii here? It looks like it's been over three weeks.

btw, I learned that this school likes to be called NSU, not Nova, since it was a merger between Nova college and Southeastern University.

Good luck!

I'm from that area and even the people I know who went there for undergrad called it Nova. That's super interesting though! And I'll keep it in mind in case it comes up haha

I'm from that area and even the people I know who went there for undergrad called it Nova. That's super interesting though! And I'll keep it in mind in case it comes up haha
Ya the shuttle driver told me that! Then I got to campus and I noticed all the admission staff were calling the school NSU lol.

Good luck!

Not sure if this has been answered here already but does anyone know if NSU offers interviews before teh reference letters are submitted. I have submitted my secondary app but I'm waiting on two of my profs to upload their letters...:/

Not sure if this has been answered here already but does anyone know if NSU offers interviews before teh reference letters are submitted. I have submitted my secondary app but I'm waiting on two of my profs to upload their letters...:/
People on here say no, but the rep I spoke to on the phone was adamant that you don't need LOR to get an ii.

I think it just depends. I have all my letters in but one of them needed to be signed by the writer so after I got the II an admissions rep contacted me about fixing it before my interview. So I'm thinking they at least consider the letters that are in but I'm not sure it's required for an II

Instate, they are private tho, and I don't think they give preference.

They kind of do. A little over half the class is from Florida. The rest is a mixed bag from all over. I want to say that Californians come in second.

Can anyone tell me how many acceptances NSU will give out in total based on past cycles? Does someone still have a good chance of acceptance if they interview in November or December or is that too late? How many acceptances must NSU have given out by now? @NekoBeats

Can anyone tell me how many acceptances NSU will give out in total based on past cycles? Does someone still have a good chance of acceptance if they interview in November or December or is that too late? How many acceptances must NSU have given out by now? @NekoBeats

Nova says they get 5500 applicants for 230 spots. I imagine about 400-500 get accepted. I think nova has given out few to none acceptances so far. Interview dates and acceptance of course depends on stats.

Nova says they get 5500 applicants for 230 spots. I imagine about 400-500 get accepted. I think nova has given out few to none acceptances so far. Interview dates and acceptance of course depends on stats.

If there's such a large number of acceptances, I'm sure interviewing in November or even December is not a big deal. I guess it's iffy from Jan onwards.

If there's such a large number of acceptances, I'm sure interviewing in November or even December is not a big deal. I guess it's iffy from Jan onwards.
Its pretty small considering they get 5500 applications. Its most likely closer to 400. Nova doesn't say how much they accept but its most likely 400. MCAT=28 and GPA 3.45

Last edited:
Its pretty small considering they get 5500 applications. Its most likely closer to 400. Nova doesn't say how much they accept but its most likely 400. MCAT=38 and GPA 3.45

they probably interview 600 and give acceptances to 400 of them. I doubt they will complete the first 400 interviews before November so I think that interviewing November or December should be fine as long as stats and interview went okay.

they probably interview 600 and give acceptances to 400 of them. I doubt they will complete the first 400 interviews before November so I think that interviewing November or December should be fine as long as stats and interview went okay.

Yep. Those are the most likely the numbers. However if you have a 25/26 and are interviewing in December it might not end well.

so 27 is fine? Their average is like 27-28 right?

Average is 28. From speaking with current students and someone in admissions it seems mid twenties to low thirties is the norm. 26+ is normal.

When I applied, there were about 4,500 applications. I believe they interviewed about 600 for 240 spots. The rumor was that it was around a 67% acceptance rate post-interview. One thing that has changed since then is the number of applications. At our most recent Dean's hour, we were told that the number of applications received for the class of 2019 has already exceeded the number of applications from the previous cycle. The application pool gets bigger every year, and since the number of seats doesn't change, it gets a little bit harder to get accepted each year.

I interviewed in December and was accepted a week later. I haven't met a lot of people in my class who have had a later interview day than me. If I had to guess, I would say that a vast majority of the class interviewed before the New Year. An interview before then is pretty safe. Once you start getting into spring and even late winter, the class is already close to being filled, if not already filled, and you need to be a pretty competitive applicant to get straight accepted. At that point in the game it will also help if you're from Florida. Same with the waitlist movement.

I can't really comment on the number of acceptances that have gone out, but I think a good chunk of people who have interviewed already will get accepted. Of course, no guarantees :)

When I applied, there were about 4,500 applications. I believe they interviewed about 600 for 240 spots. The rumor was that it was around a 67% acceptance rate post-interview. One thing that has changed since then is the number of applications. At our most recent Dean's hour, we were told that the number of applications received for the class of 2019 has already exceeded the number of applications from the previous cycle. The application pool gets bigger every year, and since the number of seats doesn't change, it gets a little bit harder to get accepted each year.

I interviewed in December and was accepted a week later. I haven't met a lot of people in my class who have had a later interview day than me. If I had to guess, I would say that a vast majority of the class interviewed before the New Year. An interview before then is pretty safe. Once you start getting into spring and even late winter, the class is already close to being filled, if not already filled, and you need to be a pretty competitive applicant to get straight accepted. At that point in the game it will also help if you're from Florida. Same with the waitlist movement.

I can't really comment on the number of acceptances that have gone out, but I think a good chunk of people who have interviewed already will get accepted. Of course, no guarantees :)

Thank you. By late winter, I guess you mean January-February?

Thank you. By late winter, I guess you mean January-February?

Yeah, maybe a little closer to February. Just keep in mind that after the New Year, the adcom has already accepted a bunch of people and have looked at a ton of applications. They'll be more picky with who they want to accept next. An early interview is always better, at any med school.

So do they call or email for a rejection? Or is it just a silent rejection? I'm just wondering because I got the "application complete" phone call over a month ago and have not heard anything from the school since then.

Is it just me or this school has been really quiet? Hardly any interviews announced on this thread!

So do they call or email for a rejection? Or is it just a silent rejection? I'm just wondering because I got the "application complete" phone call over a month ago and have not heard anything from the school since then.

Takes 6-8 weeks after complete phonecall, they're really backed up.

completed secondary in July and still haven't heard anything.

Last edited: