Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a missed call from NSU at 954-262-7300. Does anyone know who might be calling? I tried to call back but don't know the extension of the person calling.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been complete for what feels like a century here (end of July)

Reactions: 1 user
Just got a missed call from NSU at 954-262-7300. Does anyone know who might be calling? I tried to call back but don't know the extension of the person calling.

It was most likely Monica if you haven't found out already and you should have gotten an email. Maybe?

Members don't see this ad :)
It was most likely Monica if you haven't found out already and you should have gotten an email. Maybe?
I gave them a call back, and they were just calling about my application being completed and is now ready for review. Almost gave a heart attack but now I'm depressed. LOL

Oh! Well, now just sit pretty for while! xD

@NekoBeats or any other current students: Could you explain the current exam schedule here at NSU? It was mentioned earlier that it was a negative aspect of the school...how so?

@NekoBeats or any other current students: Could you explain the current exam schedule here at NSU? It was mentioned earlier that it was a negative aspect of the school...how so?

If that person is an M1, they must be talking about the fact that they have an exam pretty much every week. It's rare to have a weekend off as a first year at Nova (i.e. no exam the following week)- probably happens only ~3 times a semester. The reason why is because some classes have 4-5 exams per semester, like gross anatomy and biochem. The con with this scheduling is that you'll constantly be studying for the upcoming exam(s) that you have the next week and it's easy to burn out. The pro is that there's a lot of forgiveness with the classes that have multiple exams. If you bomb one test it's not a death sentence- you have other chances to make it up. There are some times during M1 year when they schedule something like 7 exams in 2 weeks. It sucks, but that's what the higher ups decided. You kind of just gotta roll with it and tackle it one exam at a time.

If that person is an M2, they must be talking about the fact that the exams are high stakes. When you get into second year, you switch into systems and you have only 2 exams that make up your grade for that system: a midterm and final. The con is that it puts a lot of pressure on you to do well, since you really can't afford to do bad on either exam. The pro is that we get a major exam maybe once a month, so we can actually relax on weekends with some lighter studying. An unfortunate scheduling problem that's true for both M1 and M2 year is that we never get study days before a major exam/finals week. For example, we have an integrated systems exam next Wednesday that covers four systems and we have a mandatory lab we need to go to on Tuesday, the day before. We also are getting new lecture material on Monday, two days before the test that they can pull questions from. Word on the street is that our current SGA is trying to do something about getting us study days for future exams, but I haven't heard any updates on it yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
anyone have an idea of how long it takes to update your letters on the portal? Mine only says they received AACOMAS and MCATs and nothing else. I sent my secondary in about a week ago and also received a phone call saying they recieved my apps. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted two days ago I believe. NSU was quite fast in updating my LORs which were sent through Interfolio.
Did your portal say your LOR were submitted? I got that same call but it doesn't show it on my portal.

I submitted two days ago I believe. NSU was quite fast in updating my LORs which were sent through Interfolio.
Nevermind, I just called them and there was an error and will update it.

I know some schools have time sensitive documents, do any of you already accepted know how long we have to submit our intent to enroll/dress/technical standards documents?

I got mail today saying i was placed on the alternate list. Did anybody get in from the alternate list last year??

Does anyone know how interview invites are sent out? I don't see any where in my application where it says "application status," or anything of the likes. I am guessing that they will either call you or send you an e-mail? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something....

If that person is an M1, they must be talking about the fact that they have an exam pretty much every week. It's rare to have a weekend off as a first year at Nova (i.e. no exam the following week)- probably happens only ~3 times a semester. The reason why is because some classes have 4-5 exams per semester, like gross anatomy and biochem. The con with this scheduling is that you'll constantly be studying for the upcoming exam(s) that you have the next week and it's easy to burn out. The pro is that there's a lot of forgiveness with the classes that have multiple exams. If you bomb one test it's not a death sentence- you have other chances to make it up. There are some times during M1 year when they schedule something like 7 exams in 2 weeks. It sucks, but that's what the higher ups decided. You kind of just gotta roll with it and tackle it one exam at a time.

If that person is an M2, they must be talking about the fact that the exams are high stakes. When you get into second year, you switch into systems and you have only 2 exams that make up your grade for that system: a midterm and final. The con is that it puts a lot of pressure on you to do well, since you really can't afford to do bad on either exam. The pro is that we get a major exam maybe once a month, so we can actually relax on weekends with some lighter studying. An unfortunate scheduling problem that's true for both M1 and M2 year is that we never get study days before a major exam/finals week. For example, we have an integrated systems exam next Wednesday that covers four systems and we have a mandatory lab we need to go to on Tuesday, the day before. We also are getting new lecture material on Monday, two days before the test that they can pull questions from. Word on the street is that our current SGA is trying to do something about getting us study days for future exams, but I haven't heard any updates on it yet.
The sheer amount of required class time is also probably part of what they're referring to. Between Tobacco Cessation, IGC, OPP, Clinical Reasoning, and Humanism in Medicine, we have a LOT of mandatory class time in our first semester.

Last edited:
The sheer amount of required class time is also probably part of what they're referring to. Between Tobacco Cessation, IGC, OPP, Clinical Reasoning, and Humanism in Medicine, we have a LOT of mandatory class time in our first semester.

I loved the school but that sounds pretty terrible. exams every week and 7 exams in 2 weeks? yikes. Thank you both for the detail though!

Last edited:
I just got a hand written acceptance card signed by people from admission in the mail... So much personal touch from this school! hahah I hope this is also how they treat current students!

Reactions: 2 users
I loved the school but that sounds pretty terrible. exams every week and 7 exams in 2 weeks? yikes. Thank you both for the detail though!
It's medical school, what are you expecting? Every school is going to run you ragged. It's definitely not EVERY week, though. I just finished midterms Friday before last and don't have another test until Thursday after next. It's not as bad as it sounds.

It's medical school, what are you expecting? Every school is going to run you ragged. It's definitely not EVERY week, though. I just finished midterms Friday before last and don't have another test until Thursday after next. It's not as bad as it sounds.

I don't disagree they will all be tough. I interviewed at 6 schools before NSU though and they all had 1 test every 3-4 weeks so I assumed most schools were that way but maybe those are the outliers? That's what I was expecting....who knows. Is having tests ~every week the norm at most schools?

Last edited:

It'll get slightly better. Tobacco Cessation goes away mid-semester and so does Humanism. ICG, OPP, and FACR will be mandatory as an M2 also, with the small change being that FACR is 4 hours from 8-12 second year.

I don't disagree they will all be tough. I interviewed at 6 schools before NSU though and they all had 1 test every 3-4 weeks so I assumed most schools were that way but maybe those are the outliers? That's what I was expecting....who knows. Is having tests ~every week the norm at most schools?

When I talked to my med school friends outside of Nova last year about our schedule, they usually responded with a variation of "Wow that sucks". So I would say it's not the norm. At least not from what I've gathered. Again, that schedule is just M1 year though. M2 year has less exams and is more consistent with 1 test every 3-4 weeks.

I called them and they said they don't give out statuses over the phone?

Accepted today via phone call!! Interviewed 10/9. I was definitely not expecting a 2 week turn around.

Reactions: 3 users
Got the phone call as well! Interviewed 10/7! Incredible turn around considering they told us 6-8 weeks!

P.S. For anyone who didn't hear back, they said they haven't finished reviewing everyone so don't worry! Good luck to everyone!

I interviewed 10/7 too...excuse me while I go wait by the phone.

I interviewed 10/7 too...excuse me while I go wait by the phone.

Ahh! Well hopefully you hear back soon! I just got the call maybe an hour ago so I'm sure they're still calling. If not though, Monica said they didn't get to everyone and that they're hoping to in the next few weeks. Sending good vibes your way though :D

Can someone remind me if Nova is P/F the first couple years, what is the grading system like?

I think that the grading system is letter grade for first and second year. Bummer, I know...

Complete last week. LizzyM about 66. Inteeview on thursday
:eyebrow: By complete, I meant when did you complete your secondary application. Also, I thought that you were saying "II" to indicate that you had just received an interview invite...

:eyebrow: By complete, I meant when did you complete your secondary application. Also, I thought that you were saying "II" to indicate that you had just received an interview invite...

Yes I got an interview invite. Also I completed my secondary last month.

Last edited:
Congrats to those accepted!

I submitted in July and I never received the complete phone call so I called and asked my application status. The woman said my file was still "under review"...does NSU do silent rejections? :confused:

Complete 9/23 and haven't heard anything. You think this means rejection?