Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted by phone call Nov 13!!!! Interviewed Nov 4th. 3.58 GPA, 27 MCAT, In-State.
Congrats! Just wondering, when were you complete? And how long did it take to hear back for an interview invite? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Just wondering, when were you complete? And how long did it take to hear back for an interview invite? Thanks!

ACOMAS application submitted Jul 17, processed Sep 18. Secondary received Sep 19, secondary submitted Sep 21. Interview invite on Oct 30 for interview on Nov 4.

That's interesting, the members are current M2's and M1's in SGA. I guess they decided to make one for the c/o 2019 after what happened with my class.
Neko, how are class rankings done at Nova?

i.e. - do they just take a straight average of all your 'percentages' in each class and then compare to everyone else's?

Members don't see this ad :)
Neko, how are class rankings done at Nova?

i.e. - do they just take a straight average of all your 'percentages' in each class and then compare to everyone else's?

Yeah pretty much. And if you have the same average percentage as someone, then you both get ranked the same #

Reactions: 1 user
Any of you all want to give advice for interviews? Got one coming up here soon

Sure, I can give some feedback/advice.

So my interview here really only lasted about 15 minutes. They asked me basic questions like "Tell me about yourself" or "Have you applied elsewhere, if so, allopathic and osteopathic?." They also threw me a major curveball asking whether or not I'd close off the borders to immigrants (granted it was in light of this recent ebola outbreak).

Know the general background of the school - they're big on community service, and although their research isn't huge, there are a couple of PI's who are doing some interesting work, that may be worth mentioning.

Overall however, my interview was such smooth sailing. I felt so comfortable, was laughing throughout the whole day (point being that I felt relaxed, and not under the microscope). I also had such an awesome time having lunch Dean Silvagni - he's so charismatic, and sat down with us for about an 1.5 hours and made us laugh the whole time.

This is why I fell in love with NOVA, the students, faculty, and staff were SO SO SO nice. Like literally went out of their way to throw snacks, granola bars, and what not at us throughout the day to make sure we were kept well hydrated and fed. It honestly felt like we were students already, and the interview was just a formality (which may very well be the case, considering they only are interviewing ~450 kids for 230 spots, and by educated guess I assume they would hand out at least 400 acceptances to ensure that they meet their enrollment).

OH and make SURE you send a thank you note to your interviewers, Monica, and Maricela - it's just a nice gesture that may help you.

If you have any other questions, PM me.

Yeah pretty much. And if you have the same average percentage as someone, then you both get ranked the same #
Just a followup, do you know what kind of percentage you would have to average to be in say the 50th, 75 percentile etc.

Just a followup, do you know what kind of percentage you would have to average to be in say the 50th, 75 percentile etc.

It'll vary by class. Our exam averages are usually in the 80 range with some outliers here and there. I would guess that to be in top 50% of the class (i.e. ~rank #120 - #1), your average needs to be about an 85%. Top 25% I would guess ~90%+.

It'll vary by class. Our exam averages are usually in the 80 range with some outliers here and there. I would guess that to be in top 50% of the class (i.e. ~rank #120 - #1), your average needs to be about an 85%. Top 25% I would guess ~90%+.
Thanks man, if you have taken step 1, how well did you feel they prepared you for comlex?

Thanks man, if you have taken step 1, how well did you feel they prepared you for comlex?

Haven't taken the step yet so I can't really comment on it. But I can tell you what they'll give you: At the end of M1 year, you get a copy of First Aid for the USMLE. Your class reps can also also work with prep companies to get you guys good discounts on question banks and other materials. The school also gives you DIT (Doctors In Training) M2 year, which is basically a series of videos that go through First Aid with some more elaboration. Apparently it also comes with a workbook.

Our OPP department is really strong and throughout M1 and M2 year, the profs make sure to test us on old material (both written and lab) so we don't forget it. In other words, all the exams in OPP are cumulative. As a result, our school usually does pretty well on the OMM parts of COMLEX because it's drilled in to us so often.

You also get about 7 weeks from the end of M2 year to when rotations start for dedicated study time.

Accepted on 11/14!!!
Complete: 9/15
II: 10/14
Interviewed: 10/23
Acceptance email: 11/14

I was not expecting to hear back from them so soon. At the interview, they gave a decision timeline of 8-10 weeks since Dean Silvagni was traveling. I loved the school so I'm very excited about this acceptance!

Reactions: 6 users
I called and they said my app had been reviewed, but I havent heard anything yet. Does this mean I was rejected?

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't taken the step yet so I can't really comment on it. But I can tell you what they'll give you: At the end of M1 year, you get a copy of First Aid for the USMLE. Your class reps can also also work with prep companies to get you guys good discounts on question banks and other materials. The school also gives you DIT (Doctors In Training) M2 year, which is basically a series of videos that go through First Aid with some more elaboration. Apparently it also comes with a workbook.

Our OPP department is really strong and throughout M1 and M2 year, the profs make sure to test us on old material (both written and lab) so we don't forget it. In other words, all the exams in OPP are cumulative. As a result, our school usually does pretty well on the OMM parts of COMLEX because it's drilled in to us so often.

You also get about 7 weeks from the end of M2 year to when rotations start for dedicated study time.
Thanks, this is really what I needed to know, for some reason I didn't figure it out during the interview. Might have just gotten excited.

Accepted on 11/14!!!
Complete: 9/15
II: 10/14
Interviewed: 10/23
Acceptance email: 11/14

I was not expecting to hear back from them so soon. At the interview, they gave a decision timeline of 8-10 weeks since Dean Silvagni was traveling. I loved the school so I'm very excited about this acceptance!
would you mind sharing your stats?

would you mind sharing your stats?

I'm happy to share since I know that I'm the classic "underdog" in this situation. A lot of people get caught up in the SDN hype, but I am here to tell everyone that stats are not everything. This place will make you feel like you are less than zero if you score lower than 35 on the MCAT! God forbid you score less than an 30 because the consensus on here will make you feel like you should just hang it up, lol.

I will be the first to admit that my stats related to my MCAT score are not stellar. However, aside from that, I have a very well-rounded, strong application and a very interesting story to tell about my journey into medicine. Here are my stats:

OOS Applicant (Georgia Resident)
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.86
Post Bacc Pre-Med GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 25 (8PS, 9V, 8BS)---> Like I said, anything is possible!!! Guys, don't get caught up in all the SDN hype.

ECs: I have many healthcare experience working with the underserved population as an RN in a level 1 trauma center and in various volunteer projects. I also taught middle school in Title I (low income, disadvantaged, high ESOL population) schools before going into nursing. While working as an RN, I shadowed docs in the ER, Family Practice, OB/GYN, and Cardiology for over 200 hours. I don't have any research experience. This list is not inclusive, but it will give you an idea about my background.

I applied very strategically and broadly to about 30 schools (DO and MD). My initial goal was to shoot for 5 interview invites and at least 1 acceptance. In the end (and it's still not over yet), I have received 8 interview invites (DO and MD), 3 acceptances, and 1 possible scholarship offer (I have to write and submit an essay to be considered). I ended up cancelling one interview and I still have 2 more interviews to attend (1DO and 1MD).

Anything is possible, if you believe in yourself!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'm happy to share since I know that I'm the classic "underdog" in this situation. A lot of people get caught up in the SDN hype, but I am here to tell everyone that stats are not everything. This place will make you feel like you are less than zero if you score lower than 35 on the MCAT! God forbid you score less than an 30 because the consensus on here will make you feel like you should just hang it up, lol.

I will be the first to admit that my stats related to my MCAT score are not stellar. However, aside from that, I have a very well-rounded, strong application and a very interesting story to tell about my journey into medicine. Here are my stats:

OOS Applicant (Georgia Resident)
cGPA: 3.86
sGPA: 3.86
Post Bacc Pre-Med GPA: 3.95
MCAT: 25 (8PS, 9V, 8BS)---> Like I said, anything is possible!!! Guys, don't get caught up in all the SDN hype attachFull187087

ECs: I have many healthcare experience working with the underserved population as an RN in a level 1 trauma center and in various volunteer projects. I also taught middle school in Title I (low income, disadvantaged, high ESOL population) schools before going into nursing. While working as an RN, I shadowed docs in the ER, Family Practice, OB/GYN, and Cardiology for over 200 hours. I don't have any research experience. This list is not inclusive, but it will give you an idea about my background.

I applied very strategically and broadly to about 30 schools (DO and MD). My initial goal was to shoot for 5 interview invites and at least 1 acceptance. In the end (and it's still not over yet), I have received 8 interview invites (DO and MD), 3 acceptances, and 1 possible scholarship offer (I have to write and submit an essay to be considered). I ended up cancelling one interview and I still have 2 more interviews to attend (1DO and 1MD).

Anything is possible, if you believe in yourself!

where will you be matriculating and how did u come up with that decision if i may ask?

where will you be matriculating and how did u come up with that decision if i may ask?
@heart1 I am technically still interviewing so I haven't made my final decision yet. I honestly never thought I'd be in this position where I would have so many options. I feel so grateful and blessed to have to make these kinds of decision, but it is going to be very difficult. I'm just now starting to go through the pros/cons analyses of each school and look at things like housing and stuff related to family life. All of these factors will weigh heavily in my final decision.

Waitlisted via snail mail. Interviewed on 11/6 and received my letter on 11/17. Anyone know what are the chances of someone getting accepted off the WL?

Reactions: 1 users
Waitlisted via snail mail. Interviewed on 11/6 and received my letter on 11/17. Anyone know what are the chances of someone getting accepted off the WL?

i think they give out about 400ish acceptances for their 230 spots...maybe closer to 350

Has anyone else not heard from Nova yet that was complete a while back? I had my secondary application complete, submitted and payment received all on September 12th. I don't see anywhere on-line where we can check status updates.... I called today and they just said, "it looks like it is still under review." I'm hoping there are plenty of others here in the same boat as I am.

My file is as such:
OOS applicant
3.62cGPA
3.81sGPA
28mcat (9P, 9V, 10B)
PharmD degree
Strong LOR from NSU-COM alumni

Has anyone else not heard from Nova yet that was complete a while back? I had my secondary application complete, submitted and payment received all on September 12th. I don't see anywhere on-line where we can check status updates.... I called today and they just said, "it looks like it is still under review." I'm hoping there are plenty of others here in the same boat as I am.

My file is as such:
OOS applicant
3.62cGPA
3.81sGPA
28mcat (9P, 9V, 10B)
PharmD degree
Strong LOR from NSU-COM alumni

yeah i was complete 9/10. I'm OOS, 3.62 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA 30 MCAT (9,10,11)

you can check status things online on this website https://webstar.nova.edu/pls/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon you just log in with your id and password.

edit: never mind i dont see an actual status on it either just a summary of the app

Last edited:
Okay good. It's always so annoying when you see people complete well after you, that are already accepted when you haven't even heard about an interview decision yet!

Reactions: 2 users
Desperate for an ii, was complete 10/07. Campus is 15 minutes from my house lol :rolleyes:

Any MS3/MS4 on here willing to answer some of my questions regarding clinical rotations? Accepted student here, trying to decide between this school and CCOM STAT!

Wait listed via snail mail yesterday, interviewed 10/14! Lucky for me I got accepted to my top choice last week :)

Reactions: 1 users
I suspect that too, since they are only interviewing so few people this year. I'm very surprised though that I predicted all of my post interview decisions accurately :chicken:

I wasn't complete until 10/31 (it took a while for my committee letters to be submitted) and reading some of these posts makes me assume I'll be waiting for a while.. :(

Rejected. I am shocked. Good luck to those who remain!

Hello Everyone,

I hope the monitors aren't mad I'm venturing out of the pre-med forums. I am preparing my application for medical school and would love to hear the opinions about DO schools from the students themselves. I am curious what you all think about your school's curriculum, location, cost, faculty, reputation, clinical rotations, housing, study areas, social scene, local hospitals, preparation for boards and of course chances for students to attend residencies outside of primary care (if that makes sense). I found hearing the actual students speak about there school is very helpful in getting a real person perspective as oppose to statistical data. Any thoughts are more than appreciated. If the officials of SDN move this to the pre-osteopathic forum, please journey over there to list or explain your opinions. Many thanks!:)

I hope this isn't too much, but I was scavenging the Pros/Cons of DO schools and was wondering if any current NSU-COM students could perhaps give their own review of the school? I know it's probably a super busy time but I though it'd be worth asking lol Thanks :)

@LawToMed21 I think we interviewed on the same day! we were talking about football in the morning

Received alternate via Mail Tuesday but I was accepted via email today! :soexcited:

Don't give up hope alternates. It can literally happen at any time

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Received alternate via Mail Tuesday but I was accepted via email today! :soexcited:

did you send a letter of interest

Congrats, wow that's quick. and strange?

did you send a letter of interest

I just sent thank you emails after my interview. There was no correspondence after I sent those emails until I received the alternate letter 11 days later and acceptance 3 days after that.

Can anyone currently at NOVA or NOVA alums comment on the rotations at their NY site? I'm torn between NOVA and NYIT-COM, mainly because of this reason. I want to end up back in NY for residency, and I know that at NYIT-COM I'll be able to rotate and make connections during my 3rd and 4th years in NY hospitals. Have any NOVA alums had experience with this (getting residency in NY)?

Is this reason enough to pick NYCOM > NOVA? I LOVED nova other than that, and being really far away from home.

Can anyone currently at NOVA or NOVA alums comment on the rotations at their NY site? I'm torn between NOVA and NYIT-COM, mainly because of this reason. I want to end up back in NY for residency, and I know that at NYIT-COM I'll be able to rotate and make connections during my 3rd and 4th years in NY hospitals. Have any NOVA alums had experience with this (getting residency in NY)?

Is this reason enough to pick NYCOM > NOVA? I LOVED nova other than that, and being really far away from home.

~ 10 students (give or take a few) go to the NY site. OOS sites are done differently than the main lottery system, so not everyone will be vying for a spot there. I can't comment on the quality of the site as I do not know much about it. If you end up at the NY site for 3rd year, I think you will be able to make connections. Plus, 4th year is pretty much the same wherever you go: you may have some rotations close to your home institution, but you're responsible for most of it.

You can find where our students have matched in NY here: http://medicine.nova.edu/alumni/forms/

I just called them, and my application is still being reviewed. Ugh, it's been like that for a couple of months now.

Has anyone thats not from Florida, georgia, alabama, recieved any interviews or acceptances yet? If so, when were you complete?

~ 10 students (give or take a few) go to the NY site. OOS sites are done differently than the main lottery system, so not everyone will be vying for a spot there. I can't comment on the quality of the site as I do not know much about it. If you end up at the NY site for 3rd year, I think you will be able to make connections. Plus, 4th year is pretty much the same wherever you go: you may have some rotations close to your home institution, but you're responsible for most of it.

You can find where our students have matched in NY here: http://medicine.nova.edu/alumni/forms/

I think Nova's rotations sites are in the hamptons though. A good 3 hour drive away from the city or 2 hours away from brooklyn. The person that's looking into nycom vs nsu should confirm this though. I'm just going off memory.

Has anyone thats not from Florida, georgia, alabama, recieved any interviews or acceptances yet? If so, when were you complete?

I think Nova's rotations sites are in the hamptons though. A good 3 hour drive away from the city or 2 hours away from brooklyn. The person that's looking into nycom vs nsu should confirm this though. I'm just going off memory.

I'm from MD and I was accepted a couple of weeks ago. I was complete sometime in late June.

I'm from MD and I was accepted a couple of weeks ago. I was complete sometime in late June.

Thank you for the reply. Any other non-regional applicants that heard back, or any non-regional ones still waiting on a reply?

I'm trying get a timeline of where they are w.r.t. the OOS applicants.