Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the reply. Any other non-regional applicants that heard back, or any non-regional ones still waiting on a reply?

I'm trying get a timeline of where they are w.r.t. the OOS applicants.
I'm from NJ complete 9/11 and have yet to hear anything

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. Any other non-regional applicants that heard back, or any non-regional ones still waiting on a reply?

I'm trying get a timeline of where they are w.r.t. the OOS applicants.

CA. Secondary submitted 8/9. II 9/2. Interview 11/6. Accepted 11/21. There were a lot of other states there on interview day. You have just as likely a chance as others. I think they're just slowing down for the holidays/finals/break. They said the chair of the committee wanted all those interviewed to know by thanksgiving break so I'm assuming they're slowing down and will pick back up soon

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted off of the waitlist! Just wanted to let everyone know. Keep your head up! :)

Reactions: 2 users
submitted in october havent heard back since :p 3.7 cGPA (3.6sGPA and 3.95 nonscience GPA) with 26 MCAT (9/9/8). OOS from california...ton of ECs so im hoping they just slowed down for thanksgiving. anyone else in the same boat? and anyone who goes here do u think i have a realistic shot at an ii? i have a ton of ec in the tutoring and hospital volunteer areas...

submitted in october havent heard back since :p 3.7 cGPA (3.6sGPA and 3.95 nonscience GPA) with 26 MCAT (9/9/8). OOS from california...ton of ECs so im hoping they just slowed down for thanksgiving. anyone else in the same boat? and anyone who goes here do u think i have a realistic shot at an ii? i have a ton of ec in the tutoring and hospital volunteer areas...

I'm in the same boat. Haven't heard anything

Can anyone currently at NOVA or NOVA alums comment on the rotations at their NY site? I'm torn between NOVA and NYIT-COM, mainly because of this reason. I want to end up back in NY for residency, and I know that at NYIT-COM I'll be able to rotate and make connections during my 3rd and 4th years in NY hospitals. Have any NOVA alums had experience with this (getting residency in NY)?

Is this reason enough to pick NYCOM > NOVA? I LOVED nova other than that, and being really far away from home.

We almost lost our rotation spots at Southampton Hospital because it just recently became an official hospital for the SUNY system. We managed to negotiate with them and keep 7 spots for next year, but there's no guarantee that there will still be spots for future classes. Just fyi.

So I've been waitlisted at NSU and I'm in the process of sending a letter of intent to them to let the school know that they are my top choice. I have also be fortunate to be accepted at KCUMB and Touro-NY. Do you guys think it's not too brash to mention the fact that I've been accepted at other schools in my letter, but that I would prefer to attend NSU?

Accepted student here. About the mandatory rural rotations:

Can I do all the mandatory rural rotations after my audition rotations 4th year? For example, let's say I'm interested in EM. I would want to do my required EM rotation and then an audition at the beginning of 4th year, as to have enough time to get quality SLoEs and stuff. Can I effectively push the mandatory rural rotations till the end?

So I've been waitlisted at NSU and I'm in the process of sending a letter of intent to them to let the school know that they are my top choice. I have also be fortunate to be accepted at KCUMB and Touro-NY. Do you guys think it's not too brash to mention the fact that I've been accepted at other schools in my letter, but that I would prefer to attend NSU?

I think if you mentioned it in your letter I would say something like this: "NSU-COM is my top choice and would love the opportunity to be apart of the 2015 class. At this point, two other schools I have been accepted require a deposit by December 15th....then say something clever and smooth about how you just want to go to Nova and cannot afford to pay the deposit to the other schools in the off chance you don't get off the wait list"

Obviously re-word what I wrote bc I did so quickly. Don't make it sound like you are pressuring them to accept you or threatening them in anyway.

Best of luck and I hope we both get off the alternate list!

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted off of the waitlist! Just wanted to let everyone know. Keep your head up! :)

Can I do all the mandatory rural rotations after my audition rotations 4th year? For example, let's say I'm interested in EM. I would want to do my required EM rotation and then an audition at the beginning of 4th year, as to have enough time to get quality SLoEs and stuff. Can I effectively push the mandatory rural rotations till the end?

When did you guys interview if you dont mind me asking? Congrats on the acceptances! @WaKha12 When were you put on the WL?

Last edited:
What's going on man? Were you the UF or UM alum? I loved NSU COM. All the applicants in our group were really impressive.

I was the UF alum with a blue tie. I'm assuming you were the JD who practiced for like 6 years before applying to med school based on your screen name haha. I hope we get our decisions soon

Seems like Nova has been doing a lot of shuffling with regards to the waitlist. I haven't received an interview but this program was pretty high on my list. Think there's still a chance to get called by early spring? I was complete 10/07.

Hi everyone, what do you think regarding facial hair on men and interviews? Would it be okay if it is styled and nice?
Thank you

did anyone else get an email last night about them receiving the code of conduct and dress code waivers? i turned them in about 2 weeks ago but just got this confirmation

No. Two months will be assigned to you at a specific site. The last rural/under served you can set up yourself, and use that as an extra EM rotation. Unfortunately the reality is that some people get screwed by the assignment of their rurals at the wrong time of year, but statistically it is unlikely to happen to you.

Last edited:
Has anyone recieved an II recently?? It seems like this school has been extremely quiet over the last month.

Accepted. I feel very fortunate to be admitted to such a great place. Best of luck to everybody else applying.

ACCEPTED!!!!! finallly got some love as a reapplicant

Reactions: 2 users
For the people who go here or interviewed here, the tuition paper from interview day said $8301 of books and supplies fee. Is this mandatory? Why is this so high? I'm comparing among other schools and they all seems be to under $2000ish..?

Anybody have any idea??

For the people who go here or interviewed here, the tuition paper from interview day said $8301 of books and supplies fee. Is this mandatory? Why is this so high? I'm comparing among other schools and they all seems be to under $2000ish..?

Anybody have any idea??

From what I've heard (a current student can correct me if I'm wrong), the numbers were all inflated to reflect the maximum budgetary needs for international students (since they'd typically spend the most), this goes for all the other costs too (housing, food, etc.). The actual numbers are likely much lower.

Can any current students send me a copy of your calendar for fall? I've tried to find one specific for the osteopathic program but I couldn't. o_O Thanks in advance.

NSU and hca announced the approval of the new hospital. So research center/hospital on its way. WOW!

Has anyone paid their deposit yet? Did it work smoothly? I'm planning on doing it this weekend closer to the deadline, but I'm worried I'll have a technical glitch and since it's the weekend I won't be able to get in touch with someone from admissions to help me. Yes, I know I'm neurotic.

11/18 interviewee here - accepted on Friday! Excited to meet you all :highfive:

So I'm curious if anyone knows if NOVA updates the students that have been waiting since September to hear about a possible ii? I would almost appreciate a rejection at this point since I'm trying to figure my whole life situation out as soon as possible for next year.

Nope, their admissions process was a mess last year and it's even worse this year.

Do you know if they respond favorably as far as requesting an update on where you are in the process?

I tried calling once to update my address and that was a miserable experience. I really hope the teaching faculty and administrators handle stuff better than the admissions office.

Do you know if they respond favorably as far as requesting an update on where you are in the process?

I tried calling once to update my address and that was a miserable experience. I really hope the teaching faculty and administrators handle stuff better than the admissions office.

I'm in the same boat as you Clinicall, and also made the mistake of calling today about updating my address and asked about my status afterwards. all they said was have patience its normal to not have heard yet..

So I'm curious if anyone knows if NOVA updates the students that have been waiting since September to hear about a possible ii? I would almost appreciate a rejection at this point since I'm trying to figure my whole life situation out as soon as possible for next year.

Unfortunately, waiting is just part of the application process and there's no real way to know when you'll get that II, or if you'll even get it at all. If you need to move forward with your plans and can't wait on Nova, then I encourage you to do so.

Submitted way back in the summer. 3.8 gpa 28 mcat. still no II from nova. anyone else in the same boat?

I believe December 14th is when first deposit is due.

I'm confused on both the amount due and the due date -- I read on the acceptance letter we have until January 5th to submit the deposit. I've seen that $1,250 is due on some paperwork, and I've also read that the full $2,000 is due in other places. Can someone clear this up?

I'm confused on both the amount due and the due date -- I read on the acceptance letter we have until January 5th to submit the deposit. I've seen that $1,250 is due on some paperwork, and I've also read that the full $2,000 is due in other places. Can someone clear this up?

According to the acceptance packet:

December 14th is for $1250 (acceptance fee)

March 15th is for pre-registration fee $750

Combined for $2000 as a deposit. I believe the first fee holds your seat.

Edit: it may have a later date for those accepted at a later time.

Hey @NekoBeats do you remember when you submitted all your vaccinations, background check, and other last paperwork last year?

My vaccinations were done late, right before school started. I don't remember when I did the background check. I never received the original acceptance package, so they sent me another one only after I emailed them. I probably sent the rest of the paperwork sometime in early spring but I'm not super sure on that.

Submitted way back in the summer. 3.8 gpa 28 mcat. still no II from nova. anyone else in the same boat?

Same boat. I submitted early september though. I've now offically heard back from 75% of the schools I applied to, but still waiting on Nova.

I'm with ya. Complete 9/20/14, and still no word. 3.96 GPA 31 MCAT
I'm still holding out hope; this place looks awesome.

Officially declined my acceptance here after much debate and cutting very close to the deadline haha. I really hope it goes to you guys! Best of luck!