Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious, what school(s) won the debate? If you don't mind sharing.

Sure, I decided on KCUMB for multiple reasons that I don't mind discussing over PM if you're going through a similar debate. For reference sake though, my "permanent" home is located 30 min from Nova so I'm familiar with the area and the school. There were just other factors that drew me to KCUMB instead. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Officially accepted my NSU acceptance since October. It took me almost 2 months to decide between NSU and KCUMB but I am glad I made the choice to submit my deposit to NSU. Hope to see you all in the Fall, especially any gators :)

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted way back in the summer. 3.8 gpa 28 mcat. still no II from nova. anyone else in the same boat?
3.65 GPA, 35 MCAT, submitted early August and nothing since. Judging from the previous years' threads, they silently reject and inform you in April/May, so I'm assuming that will happen with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.65 GPA, 35 MCAT, submitted early August and nothing since. Judging from the previous years' threads, they silently reject and inform you in April/May, so I'm assuming that will happen with me.

3.7 cGPA, 3.6 sGPA, 27, 32 retake. Submitted in early July. Nothing here as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, I've been racking my brain over nova, and it's starting to fall off my radar now.

It seems to:
-have no elective rotation in 3rd year
-3 months of rural med scheduled into 4th year, which could happen at prime audition rotation time
-limit of 2 months at one specialty in 4th year.

Any current student able to give an insight on this?

If you don't get in, then I don't have a snowball's chance in hell. cGPA 3.11, Masters GPA 3.5, 30 MCAT, submitted Oct 31.

Might as well forget about Nova. have been complete since July and heard nothing Lizzy M ~70

People need to take a deep breathe- There is still 3 months to find out. Nova does not do silent rejections, as mentioned by many posters here.

3.15 38 here and haven't heard anything. Complete since july...

I have heard from a current student at Nova that they take their time with the interview process, so not to worry for anyone that hasn't heard back yet! My application is also currently pending!

I ended up paying my deposit but I just got accepted into another school yesterday. Any way they'll refund my deposit?

I ended up paying my deposit but I just got accepted into another school yesterday. Any way they'll refund my deposit?

I believe it says they are nonrefundable :( sorry

Accepted by email after interviewing 12/9. My stats are on the lower side so keep your heads up if you're in the same boat. It's been a long, long road!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if my science GPA of 2.93 would automatically screen out my application and give me zero chance of admission? Is Nova super strict on the 3.0 cutoff? My cumulative is 3.11 and my Masters GPA (Biomedical Sciences) is 3.5 and my MCAT score is 30. I'm wondering if they'll take this all into consideration or just outright reject me from the getgo once they see my science GPA. If you know anyone who got in with a sub-3.0 science GPA, please let me know.

Thanks

Just received an II. First one after a few rejections. I am very excited. Among my top choices!

Late Oct/Early Nov (there is a post here from me that says I received a call from them). I applied a day or two before that (or, I should say I was complete a day or two before that. I was complete almost immediately after I submitted my application though). The earliest available interview is Jan 13 (all options that I seem to have are January dates).

Nice. When did you apply? How late are they scheduling interviews for?

Late Oct/Early Nov (there is a post here from me that says I received a call from them). I applied a day or two before that (or, I should say I was complete a day or two before that. I was complete almost immediately after I submitted my application though). The earliest available interview is Jan 13 (all options that I seem to have are January dates).
That's when I applied. Your stats must be terrific to receive an ii so quickly.

Negative on the awesome stats (though I'm sure that would have helped). I'm below their averages. I am a non-trad though with around 10 yrs of health care experience (I was told that would go far with NSU and most of the other D.O. schools at the OldPreMeds conference).

That's when I applied. Your stats must be terrific to receive an ii so quickly.

Last edited:
9/16 interview. Just booked my tickets! Will be staying at the Hampton Inn in Plantation Florida. My plane arrives at FLL at 10AM on 9/15 so hopefully they can accommodate me an early check in. Anyone else also staying at the Hampton Inn down to hang out?!

Ps. Apparently holiday inn express cannot guarantee shuttle to Nova campus so be aware!
Hey would you mind sharing publically or thru PM how your interview went. Also...were you able to get the shuttle from the Hampton Inn to Nova and how long did it take?

Nova is a good school but I couldn't choose it over CCOM. Nova is literally in paradise though so whoever takes my spot, you'll probably love it!

What is the best email to contact them: The portal has one email address listed ([email protected]), the secondary complete email has another email address listed ([email protected]), and the supplemental materials received email has another one listed ([email protected]). Each one says to email them with questions there, not sure which one is best. And then they send emails from another e-mail address ([email protected]). Which one have you guys been using with good outcomes?

Accepted by phone call Nov 13!!!! Interviewed Nov 4th. 3.58 GPA, 27 MCAT, In-State.

I got accepted into FIU and decided to withdraw my acceptance for NSU.
Good luck to you all!! Hopefully that spot goes to one of you :D

Submitted way back in the summer. 3.8 gpa 28 mcat. still no II from nova. anyone else in the same boat?
OOS 3.7 cum GPA 3.64 sGPA 3.84 non science with 26/25 MCAT (9/9/8 first time and then 9/8/8 second time idk what happened lol bad luck me) with a ton of EC and i havent heard anything either

Quick question for anyone who may know. I just recently have been offered an interview, Dec 18th to be exact. I used the link we were sent to sign up for my interview which is coming on the thirteenth of January. The email said we would receive a confirmation email once an interview date was chosen. The problem I am having is that I never received one and when I call to ask, I'm told nobody is available who can access that sort of information. Should I have gotten one right away or will they send them to everyone at the same time once the itinerary is finalized?

Got one around the same time you did and haven't gotten any email other than the II (and the confirmation of interview time),

Quick question for anyone who may know. I just recently have been offered an interview, Dec 18th to be exact. I used the link we were sent to sign up for my interview which is coming on the thirteenth of January. The email said we would receive a confirmation email once an interview date was chosen. The problem I am having is that I never received one and when I call to ask, I'm told nobody is available who can access that sort of information. Should I have gotten one right away or will they send them to everyone at the same time once the itinerary is finalized?

Got one around the same time you did and haven't gotten any email other than the II (and the confirmation of interview time),

When did you guys submit the secondary?

Got accepted here (and paid my deposit) but I'm withdrawing because I got into another school. Best of luck to everyone and hope one of you gets my seat!

hey guys.....congrats to those who have been accepted and good luck to those in my situation lol. Please can anyone tell me what the email mentioned regarding student dress code for the interview. I m contemplating between a gray suit and a black one (I'm biased towards the black lol). I can't wait to meet everyone at my interview. :)

Oh yea, and please can anyone tell me if the Interview is Open/Closed-file. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Oh yea, and please can anyone tell me if the Interview is Open/Closed-file. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Open-file. And I say that you should go with the gray suit (black comes off as way too formal).

Thanks a lot Gladiator89. I ll definitely go with that pick!!

Yeah grey all the way! Also, if you can, stray away from red ties (I've heard it can come off as a power tie). Blue all the way! :)

Yeah grey all the way! Also, if you can, stray away from red ties (I've heard it can come off as a power tie). Blue all the way! :)
I definitely agree. I know NSU's color is blue and grey, so I plan to go with that :)

Just out of curiosity, does Nova include MMI in their interview process?

Just out of curiosity, does Nova include MMI in their interview process?

No, it's a straight one-on-one (or two-on-one) interview with teaching faculty/administration members. Generally ~30 minutes, standard interview questions.

No, it's a straight one-on-one (or two-on-one) interview with teaching faculty/administration members. Generally ~30 minutes, standard interview questions.
Great. Thanks a lot. Appreciate it.

Anyone know of student hosts ?? My interview is jan 15 anyone else then staying at Hampton in. ?

Current M2 at nova here. ACCEPTED PEEPS go ahead and join the Official Class of 2019 Nova Facebook group if u haven't already done so. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1578428752384591/?fref=ts

Also don't fret too much over ur interview attire guys! (Black vs grey suit, red-tie vs blue etc...) As long as you are wearing a suit and its not like disheveled you are good. Wear what looks nice on you and makes you comfortable.

I don't really go on SDN much anymore so if ya have any specific questions for me shoot me a PM since i'm not very likely to keep up in this thread.

Good luck to those that have yet to hear back!

If anyone is going to be interviewing on Jan. 13 and interested in either getting together and doing a mock interview the day before or splitting some costs on room/rental car, feel free to pm me. I plan to arrive on Jan 11 and I'll likely be staying at the Hampton (I can get a decent discount on the room through work). I don't care if you are male or female, black or white, tall or short. Ideally, you'll be well prepped for the interview and are excited as I am about the prospect of going to school here. Good luck to all interviewing and to those waiting for ii, hang in there!

Does Nova silently pre-interview waitlist people? I've been complete since August and haven't heard a single peep from the school other than the initial phone call informing me that I'm complete. I've called twice over this period and both times they just say, "no decision has been made." Thing is, every other school has told me if I've been wait listed pending an interview invite.

I'm assuming yes.

Does Nova silently pre-interview waitlist people? I've been complete since August and haven't heard a single peep from the school other than the initial phone call informing me that I'm complete. I've called twice over this period and both times they just say, "no decision has been made." Thing is, every other school has told me if I've been wait listed pending an interview invite.

I'm assuming yes.
Looking at past threads, they pretty much silently reject people. They'll reject you earlier in the season but send you notice in April or May.

I am also getting worried. Haven't heard anything from the school except for the phone call back in July..

Hi guys! Current M1 here. SDN helped me out when I was applying and I haven't been on since but if anyone has questions I'll be more than happy to answer them.

For those of you who don't keep up with the NSU-COM Facebook page:

DR. ANTHONY J. SILVAGNI STEPS DOWN AS NSU-COM DEAN; DR. ELAINE WALLACE NAMED DEAN EFFECTIVE FEBRUARY 1 - BY NSU President George L. Hanbury II, Ph.D.

After 23 years as a dean of osteopathic medicine at two universities and more than 16 years as dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine at NSU, Dr. Anthony Silvagni has informed me that he feels it is time for him to step down as dean and return to faculty. Dr. Silvagni has lead NSU’s College of Osteopathic Medicine with excellence and enthusiasm and as such NSU’s COM is recognized throughout the nation as a premier medical school whose faculty produces excellent physicians. He has indeed developed a superior faculty that has attracted the best and brightest students, and his personality and professionalism have allowed him to be recognized throughout the state and nation by osteopathic as well as allopathic physicians as a prominent leader in the medical profession.