Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who are waitlisted, do you get any sort of notification from the school on updates, etc?

ALSO, does anyone know how many acceptances were handed out, how many deposits were put in and how many acceptances are remaining?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who are waitlisted, do you get any sort of notification from the school on updates, etc?

ALSO, does anyone know how many acceptances were handed out, how many deposits were put in and how many acceptances are remaining?

I was waitlist early November. They emailed me late in November asking for an update from the last semester of my master's program. I haven't heard from them since.

If it helps, there are 141 people in the accepted students' facebook group. I'm sure a good amount of them are current students though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I can give some details regarding the interview and acceptance process for those interested. I interviewed at NSUCOM on January 20 and was accepted on January 30. On my interview day one of the admissions counselors (Monica) said that the class was about half full (115 of 230 spots). Interviews are Tuesday and Thursday and on my interview day there were 16 applicants. If you do the math (assume 2 interview days per week since then) and assume about 60-75% acceptance rates you can get a good idea of the spots remaining. In terms of last year, she said last year 8 applicants were accepted at the start of orientation because she said she has to fill 230 spots and sent out about 470 acceptances in total.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know anything about the Residency application for Florida residents? Do we have to wait for an email or just send it to the school

Officially accepted into the NSU-COM program. I am VERY excited to earn this acceptance and look forward to attending NSU in the fall. For those who are still waiting, keep your head up, there were plenty of times I thought I was not going to make it! For those that have been accepted and intend on enrolling, I look forward to meeting you all come orientation!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

So I was wondering if I could get some input from people actually accepted here last year:
I just received my mcat scores (8PS, 9VR, 8BS), and am retaking; I have a 3.8 cgpa and a 3.7sgpa. I have shadowed over 200 hours at the Hospital for Special Surgery in nyc, and have gone on various medical brigades to Panama and Honduras where we assist doctors in a clinical setting, as well as an executive board position. I will have some decent LOR (professors/committee), and am in various honor societies at my school. I was wondering about your thoughts on my chances of getting in here, and am worried since my mcat is a little below their average (however my gpa is alot higher). Thanks so much for any input!

Hey everyone,

So I was wondering if I could get some input from people actually accepted here last year:
I just received my mcat scores (8PS, 9VR, 8BS), and am retaking; I have a 3.8 cgpa and a 3.7sgpa. I have shadowed over 200 hours at the Hospital for Special Surgery in nyc, and have gone on various medical brigades to Panama and Honduras where we assist doctors in a clinical setting, as well as an executive board position. I will have some decent LOR (professors/committee), and am in various honor societies at my school. I was wondering about your thoughts on my chances of getting in here, and am worried since my mcat is a little below their average (however my gpa is alot higher). Thanks so much for any input!

Your MCAT is under the average but remember, it's an average- some people will have lower scores and some will have higher scores. Best piece of advice I can offer is to apply as early as possible with a strong application. It blows my mind how much applying early isn't taken seriously, yet it's the single most important factor for grabbing an interview seat. This is notoriously true at NSU, where the interview slots fill up super quick. Not much else to say, other than do better on your retake. Good luck!

ACCEPTED via email today, February 19th after interviewing on February 3rd. This school is AMAZING and I loved everything about it. I plan in sending in my deposit ASAP.

To individuals like @pa8993, please do not give up hope! As an underdog, I can honestly say that NSU looks at your entire application, not just at your MCAT score and GPA. I scored a 21 and then a 24 on my MCAT - which is way below NSU's average. However, like @pa8993, I had a decent GPA (3.70) and a lot of clinical experience locally and abroad. I believe that the admissions committee evaluates the applicants holistically so that even doubtful candidates, like myself, have a chance!

Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted as well. Loved everything about this school. The welcoming atmosphere on my interview day, the campus, the curriculum..literally everything. Beyond thrilled to be accepted here. I will definitely be attending. I agree with @BS1026, your entire application is looked at which says a lot about the school. If you are still waiting, please do not give up. This is coming from an underdog as well.
Good luck to everyone else.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your MCAT is under the average but remember, it's an average- some people will have lower scores and some will have higher scores. Best piece of advice I can offer is to apply as early as possible with a strong application. It blows my mind how much applying early isn't taken seriously, yet it's the single most important factor for grabbing an interview seat. This is notoriously true at NSU, where the interview slots fill up super quick. Not much else to say, other than do better on your retake. Good luck!

Hey everyone,

I had the same stats as you......but once I landed the interview, I made the best of the opportunity. Retake the MCAT if you can.....if not, show them how bad you want the spot. I think I sent them 9 letters of Rec instead of the usual 3 lol

Accepted yesterday 2/19. Interviewed 2/3! Good luck to those still waiting to hear an answer!

I had the same stats as you......but once I landed the interview, I made the best of the opportunity. Retake the MCAT if you can.....if not, show them how bad you want the spot. I think I sent them 9 letters of Rec instead of the usual 3 lol
We're you accepted?

When were you complete? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?
I was complete I believe in mid August, possibly later. Finances were a little prohibitive for me and this was the only DO school I applied to, so I'm afraid it was too late :(
My stats are 28MCAT and 3.6 overall, 3.3 science. I'm really crossing my fingers that NSU gives me a chance and interviews me!

Any current students who live at Rolling Hills A or C who could comment on living in those two graduate halls?

I was complete I believe in mid August, possibly later. Finances were a little prohibitive for me and this was the only DO school I applied to, so I'm afraid it was too late :(
My stats are 28MCAT and 3.6 overall, 3.3 science. I'm really crossing my fingers that NSU gives me a chance and interviews me!

Yeah, those seem like decent stats for a DO school, so maybe they just really got higher-than-average applicants this year or something. I am at a 28, 3.7 cGPA and a 3.3 sGPA with great LORs and significant ECs and haven't heard back from NOVA either-but luckily I have heard back from other schools. Would have been interested in NOVA though. Too bad. I wish you the best in your MD apps and don't lose hope for next year if you don't get in!

First of all Congrats to all of those already accepted and to those still waiting, hang in there guys :). Ok so my question is the following: i will be applying next cycle and my school has a comittee but i was told i am late to start the process of going through them to apply... Can i apply to NSU even if i don't go through the committee, even if my school has one???? NSU is kinda my dream school. Thanks guys :)

My school doesn't have a committee and my premed advisor refused to write one (it was last minute) and I just got 5 letters from professors/a DO and still got in without an issue.

Just received an II! My first of the cycle. Don't lose hope for those of you still waiting!

Reactions: 5 users

Last edited:
Got an interview invite a week ago (02/18/15).
Complete: 02/12/15 - Super late, I know
GPA: 3.91
MCAT: 29

Will be interviewing on Mar. 5th, barring any other acceptances.

Anyone got some interview tips? Is a March interview basically for a waitlist position at this point?

NSU was one of my favorite interviews of the season. Albany Med was my worst (hate MMIs).

For NSU, the interview is very short. Mine lasted 10 mins (15 mins at best). They knew my file very well and asked very specific questions based on my application. In order of things to do for the interview.
1 - Know thy AACOMAS application. I strongly suggest reading and re-reading it.
2 - Read all the resources provided to you by NSU (the booklet about the school etc).
3 - Using the above, have a good explanation of why NSU.
4 - Be ready to talk about volunteer work, shadowing, extracurricular activities, hobbies.
5 - Relax. The interview is laid back.

If you have any specific questions, let me know. Good luck!

Anyone got some interview tips? Is a March interview basically for a waitlist position at this point?

If you get a fee waiver, you can apply to 3 schools for FREE. If you apply to schools that have no secondary fee for fee waiver applicants, your grand total is $0 for the primaries and secondaries.

Any Canadians accepted in this year's cycle? If so, where are you from?

Accepted yesterday 2/19. Interviewed 2/3! Good luck to those still waiting to hear an answer!

Congratulations! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I just received an interview this morning and I'd like to have some insight on how to prepare for it!

Congratulations! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? I just received an interview this morning and I'd like to have some insight on how to prepare for it!
Sure I don't mind at all! 3.4 sGPA, 3.65 cGPA, 27 MCAT. OOS. Interview was great! They know your application inside and out so make sure you remember what you wrote about, and don't make stuff up on the spot when you're nervous! Very laid back interview, my interviewers were nice and smiled the whole time.

Can any current student (or anyone who has knowledge about this) tell me about the international opportunities available? medical missionary trips? I read that Nova has even a masters in Disaster & Emergency preparedness that is part of the College of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Programs. Is Nova really big on disaster medicine? do you think I would definitely benefit from this program in some ways even if I am just a Med student here? I wanna devote part of my career working as a physician in disaster response... Thanks

Does anyone know if Nova accepts updates pre-II? Would love to interview here

Can any current student (or anyone who has knowledge about this) tell me about the international opportunities available? medical missionary trips? I read that Nova has even a masters in Disaster & Emergency preparedness that is part of the College of Osteopathic Medicine Academic Programs. Is Nova really big on disaster medicine? do you think I would definitely benefit from this program in some ways even if I am just a Med student here? I wanna devote part of my career working as a physician in disaster response... Thanks

There are international opportunities: http://medicine.nova.edu/aboutus/outreach_programs.html

I submitted an update letter pre-II after speaking with someone on the phone about it at NSU. I faxed a letter to their Enrollment Services Processing Center @ 954-262-3601 and got an email confirmation that it was received. I'm unsure whether it makes a huge difference, but it's worth a shot in hopes of interviewing at NSUCOM!

Anyone who was accepted do you know if you have to submit the Technical standards, dress code paper work and letter of intent with the first deposit?? And if I submit the letter of intent but get into another school can you still withdrawal?

In regards to the first deposit you do have to submit the required paperwork. Not sure about the withdrawal part though.

I sent multiple updates pre-interview invite and I was legitimately told that my updates were the reason I was offered an interview, so definitely send them in and make it clear that you're working to show them how interested you are!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you do need to submit the other paperwork with the first deposit. And, yes, you can withdraw after putting down a deposit. Just know that you are NOT getting your $1250 back.

Anyone who was accepted do you know if you have to submit the Technical standards, dress code paper work and letter of intent with the first deposit?? And if I submit the letter of intent but get into another school can you still withdrawal?

I sent multiple updates pre-interview invite and I was legitimately told that my updates were the reason I was offered an interview, so definitely send them in and make it clear that you're working to show them how interested you are!

Where/how did you send your updates? I feel that my stats are at or above average for NSU, but have heard nothing since the confirmation call back in August. I would like to make sure to throw my name back in the mix before everything is all over!

Nova's pretty good with medical mission trips. We have a club called IMOC that organizes some of them. This past year they went to the Dominican Republic for a week. I think there was also a trip to India but I'm not sure on the details about that one. In the past they've also had trips to Ecuador.

The school also organizes medical trips you can go on. The most popular one is the Jamaica mission trip. They offer it once in the summer and once during winter break. Depending on when you go, you'll be there for ~1 week-2 weeks staying at a really nice Sandals Resort.

You also have the option of doing rotations abroad if you can organize it.

I don't really know that much about the Disaster/Emergency Medicine degree. I've heard there's a hands-on course you can take that teaches you some skills for disaster response but I don't think you need to be in the Masters program to do it. I would call them for more info about the program.

Nova's pretty good with medical mission trips. We have a club called IMOC that organizes some of them. This past year they went to the Dominican Republic for a week. I think there was also a trip to India but I'm not sure on the details about that one. In the past they've also had trips to Ecuador.

The school also organizes medical trips you can go on. The most popular one is the Jamaica mission trip. They offer it once in the summer and once during winter break. Depending on when you go, you'll be there for ~1 week-2 weeks staying at a really nice Sandals Resort.

You also have the option of doing rotations abroad if you can organize it.

I don't really know that much about the Disaster/Emergency Medicine degree. I've heard there's a hands-on course you can take that teaches you some skills for disaster response but I don't think you need to be in the Masters program to do it. I would call them for more info about the program.
Hi @NekoBeats! Thanks a lot for all the detailed information.... I appreciate that. I am gonna follow your advice and call them to see if they can tell me more about the disaster response thing!