Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed March 3rd and haven't heard anything (email or snail mail). But someone was accepted who interviewed on March 5th so I'm assuming that I'll be getting a letter someday soon. :(

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to interviews, the most vital thing is to know your primary and secondary applications down right cold, because they will pull from it.

For anyone with upcoming interviews, just to piggy-back off of what Knickstape21 said, be prepared to elaborate on anything they ask you about. I was asked how I learned best and I said something along the lines of first by seeing the material on paper then by performing some form of action to reinforce it (It sounded better during the interview I promise). They asked for an example of this and I found myself talking about some specific physics lab from two years ago. Just make sure if you are going to bring something up, be ready to talk a little more in-depth about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewed March 3rd and haven't heard anything (email or snail mail). But someone was accepted who interviewed on March 5th so I'm assuming that I'll be getting a letter someday soon. :(

Don't get so set on this...

The exact same thing happened to me. People who interviewed after me were receiving their acceptance emails and I was left to worry. Sure enough about two weeks letter I received my email as well. Don't lose hope!

The exact same thing happened to me. People who interviewed after me were receiving their acceptance emails and I was left to worry. Sure enough about two weeks letter I received my email as well. Don't lose hope!
When they sent you the acceptance email was it past the expected deadline outlined by Monica (the admissions counselor for the HPD)? Monica told the Mar. 5 interviewers that we should hear back Mar. 20th at the latest...

That's super encouraging! I just figured I'd be getting a letter since they said we'd know by March 20th. Thanks for the info though! I'll be keeping my head up since no news is better than bad news!

When they sent you the acceptance email was it past the expected deadline outlined by Monica (the admissions counselor for the HPD)? Monica told the Mar. 5 interviewers that we should hear back Mar. 20th at the latest...

That's super encouraging! I just figured I'd be getting a letter since they said we'd know by March 20th. Thanks for the info though! I'll be keeping my head up since no news is better than bad news!

It was past the expected deadline. I interviewed January 13th and was told we should find out in four weeks at the latest. People began receiving their acceptances somewhere around the 30th of January. Even some people who interviewed on the 15th of January were posting that they received their acceptance (SDN has truly caused me a lot of stress with that situation). The four week mark would have put the deadline somewhere around Feb. 10th. I sent letter to reemphasize my interest the 13th of Feb. I received my acceptance early Monday morning on the 16th.

Keep up the hope! I kept thinking no news is good news. Don't get too caught up with everyone else posting on here.

Reactions: 1 users
It was past the expected deadline. I interviewed January 13th and was told we should find out in four weeks at the latest. People began receiving their acceptances somewhere around the 30th of January. Even some people who interviewed on the 15th of January were posting that they received their acceptance (SDN has truly caused me a lot of stress with that situation). The four week mark would have put the deadline somewhere around Feb. 10th. I sent letter to reemphasize my interest the 13th of Feb. I received my acceptance early Monday morning on the 16th.

Keep up the hope! I kept thinking no news is good news. Don't get too caught up with everyone else posting on here.
Thanks for the assurance.
Schools should honestly stop putting expected deadlines in their decisions if they are not going to be met on time; it just causes added stress on both parties needlessly...

Hey all, just got an interview invite today (3/23). I know it's pretty late, are there many spots open? Just trying to decide whether it is worth it to spend money on flying down and such. I do like the school so if I still have a shot maybe it's still worth it?

Hey all, just got an interview invite today (3/23). I know it's pretty late, are there many spots open? Just trying to decide whether it is worth it to spend money on flying down and such. I do like the school so if I still have a shot maybe it's still worth it?

What day is your interview for?

And would you care to give out your stats? I was just told today after meeting with admissions that they will be interviewing up until mid-April.

Members don't see this ad :)

They are getting full, but when I interviewed they still had seats. My guess is they are only taking the top tier applicants and waitlisting the rest at this point. So not impossible, but decreased odds overall just because of the time. They are only interviewing a small amount of people though, so a waitlist could easily turn into an acceptance.

And would you care to give out your stats? I was just told today after meeting with admissions that they will be interviewing up until mid-April.

26 MCAT, 3.8/3.7 GPA/sGPA, both DO and MD shadowing, moderate extracurriculars

I just signed up for the March 31st even if it's late at least it's more interview experience

Thanks for the assurance.
Schools should honestly stop putting expected deadlines in their decisions if they are not going to be met on time; it just causes added stress on both parties needlessly...

Where would be the fun in that? :)
Kidding...
Just need to keep your head up! Goodluck to you and everyone else still waiting!

For anyone who got accepted, does your WebStar account change status?

When I interviewed at the end of last week, they said that the class is only about 2/3 full. If they offer you an interview (they are offering only below 600 for the roughly 7500 applications they got this year), that means you have a decent shot. Especially if they're only about 2/3 full, I would say you have about as good of a chance as interviewing a couple of months ago.

Got rejected today. Interviewed 3/05. Letter received in the mail.

Still haven't heard anything back since submitting secondary a long time ago. Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 4 users
Still haven't heard anything back since submitting secondary a long time ago. Anyone else in the same boat?
I'm in the same boat as well. Applied the earliest anyone could last year. Thank goodness I already have an acceptance somewhere else but you'd think they'd have the decency to at least send a rejection after a few months. $50 for a secondary isn't cheap for a poor college student!

Reactions: 3 users
Will be withdrawing my acceptance here that I received back in October as I was accepted to my top choice school! Hope one of you all gets it!

Anyone have any last minute interview tips? Flying out tomorrow and interviewing Tuesday morning!

Anyone have any last minute interview tips? Flying out tomorrow and interviewing Tuesday morning!

Everyone is very friendly and happy to have you there. Expect to elaborate on your answers and know your secondary well. You don't feel like you are under a microscope but that doesn't mean people are not watching. Don't say anything you might regret around the ambassadors who run your tour. Last but not least, REMAIN CALM. It is a conversation, not an interrogation. Good luck!

Quick question: I have an interview here tomorrow. I was told to be at the "Terry Building" (across the Shell gas station) @ 8:15 for Check-in. Is this correct?

One last thing (in a colombo-esque voice), how many people interview on a typical day?
I'm not that old, but I did enjoy myself some Colombo reruns on Nick at Nite.

Interviewed here today. I love this school. Best of luck to all.

Got the waitlist letter today. I'm still confident I will get off the waitlist as I was told the school cut down on the number of interview spots this year. And it doesn't hurt to have good stats ;)
P.S. I interviewed on Mar. 5th

Got the waitlist letter today. I'm still confident I will get off the waitlist as I was told the school cut down on the number of interview spots this year. And it doesn't hurt to have good stats ;)
P.S. I interviewed on Mar. 5th

I actually heard they increased interview spots this year

Nah was told at the interviews that they interviewed close to 800 last year which was too much so they cut it down to 550 invites out of 7k apps. They also mentioned they accept 450/550 they planned to interview for 230 spots.

I think we'll know around May. Musical chairs kicks in soon. It has already started.

Fun fact: nova just announced they are starting an MD program. Interested to see what that would mean for the reputation of the osteopathic program.

Fun fact: nova just announced they are starting an MD program. Interested to see what that would mean for the reputation of the osteopathic program.
Am I the only one who thinks that is a little weird?lol an MD and a DO school on the same campus?

Am I the only one who thinks that is a little weird?lol an MD and a DO school on the same campus?
MSU has it. I don't think it's weird, if anything its showing that there is a blurring between the two degrees that is further shown with the residency merger.

Here is the announcement: I am proud to share the news that NSU's Board of Trustees has approved the creation of three new colleges and programs, adding to the university's more than 150 degree offerings.

The additions include establishing a College of Allopathic Medicine (M.D. program) to complement NSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O. program), a College of Engineering and Computing, and an undergraduate Farquhar Honors College.

These additions are being made with input from students, faculty and staff for the benefit of current and prospective students and to meet the growing demand and unmet need of providing qualified physicians and engineers to the community and the nation.

These new programs address market needs and keep us on track with NSU's Vision 2020 to become a premier private, not-for-profit research university known for quality and distinction.

NSU's College of Allopathic Medicine
The new College of Allopathic Medicine will help meet the growing need of osteopathic (D.O.) and allopathic (M.D.) physicians nationally and regionally. It also will complement the education currently offered in NSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine along with the university's extensive offerings of health professions degree programs. NSU will be the only university in the Southeastern United States and the first in Florida to house both an osteopathic medical school and an allopathic medical school.

NSU's College of Engineering and Computing
The new College of Engineering and Computing will combine the Ph.D. and master's degree programs formerly housed in the Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences, and bachelor's degree programs across computer science, engineering, and information sciences from the College of Arts and Sciences. The college will offer a new bachelor of science in general engineering that will begin fall 2016.

NSU's Farquhar Honors College
The undergraduate Farquhar Honors College will be comprised of students who meet high academic standards including those who are also part of certain highly competitive scholarship programs. Students who complete the Honors College programs will receive special acknowledgement on their diplomas and transcripts and at commencement ceremonies.

The establishment of these programs coincides with NSU's additional growth plans, including the 2016 opening of a 215,000-square-foot Center for Collaborative Research (CCR) and the future relocation of Plantation General Hospital to NSU's main campus in Davie, Fla., by Hospital Corporation of America (HCA) East Florida. The hospital will serve the surrounding community and eventually be a teaching and research facility integrated with NSU's research centers and clinical trials. With these milestone additions, students in a variety of the health professions, including osteopathic (D.O.) and allopathic (M.D.) medicine programs, as well as engineering students and those pursuing other fields of study, will have expanded opportunities for research and training to prepare them for their careers.

For those interested...here is the link http://nsunews.nova.edu/nova-southe...leges-to-benefit-students-meet-market-demand/
Personally, I was just like why don't you just double or increase the number of seats at NSU-COM if you are trying to address the shortage of physicians...if you have the means of opening another college, obviously you can increase the number of seats too...But then again, what do I know about this process and the goals of the school...I am just a student interested in medicine

I'm very curious as to their thinking behind that move. And does it change anything for the incoming osteopathic medical students?

Does anyone know if Nova has an acceptance day or something similar where accepted students meet?

Does anyone know if Nova has an acceptance day or something similar where accepted students meet?
Was wondering about that also. I know there is a facebook group, but I haven't used that in 2 years so I'm wondering if that was perhaps announced on there.

Was wondering about that also. I know there is a facebook group, but I haven't used that in 2 years so I'm wondering if that was perhaps announced on there.

I am on the facebook page and I did not see any such announcements. Perhaps, I should ask on there. It would be nice to meet people before the orientation and school resumption date.