Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does Nova send a complete email? My letter finally got there on monday but I haven't been told I'm complete. Thank you!

Letters aren't needed to be considered for II's, but they should've called you at some point in time after you submitted your secondary.

Members don't see this ad.

Just a heads up, Nova is reinstituting a 70% attendance policy starting this year. Minimal mandatory attendance was a huge factor for me in choosing this school last cycle, so this development is...extremely disappointing, to say the least.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How are the rotation sites here?
Pretty solid. Better than most DO schools. It's based on a lottery system though. The popular hospitals are Jackson memorial, Mount Sinai and Broward. But ask NeuroLax for more info on this

Reactions: 1 user
Just a heads up, Nova is reinstituting a 70% attendance policy starting this year. Minimal mandatory attendance was a huge factor for me in choosing this school last cycle, so this development is...extremely disappointing, to say the least.

That was a quick turn back to mandatory attendance.

My class had one year of non-mandatory attendance and now with the new change, a lot of us are trying to adjust and pretty much reformulate the entire way we study. If you ask me, they should have left your class out of it at least. I don't think it's fair for the people who enrolled at Nova with the impression that the classes were non-mandatory. I guess we're just going to have to deal, since chances of anything changing at this point are slim to none.

My class had one year of non-mandatory attendance and now with the new change, a lot of us are trying to adjust and pretty much reformulate the entire way we study. If you ask me, they should have left your class out of it at least. I don't think it's fair for the people who enrolled at Nova with the impression that the classes were non-mandatory. I guess we're just going to have to deal, since chances of anything changing at this point are slim to none.
I feel for those of you who are disappointed in the mandatory class attendance being at 70%. Personally it doesn't matter to me tho, I will be there probably 95%+ if accepted, ADD and all. Quite frankly the fact that you can skip 30% (or 50%) of your classes in medical school is somewhat mind-boggling to me. In my nursing school, you missed three classes and they dropped you.

Anyway, I am excited about this school. Who knew I had one of the best D.O. schools hiding out in my backyard in Florida. Once I get an answer on my LOR, I am submitting. Ty to you m1,2,3 etc's posting here, its nice to read about the program.

I feel for you guys. I really do. It's unfortunate, but it must have been something that administration felt strongly about.

To everyone else: I wouldn't want anyone to get the impression that Nova's administration consists of a bunch of rogue bullies that don't value student input. On the contrary, the ability of a Class to collectively and professionally communicate their wishes and desires allows you, as students, to influence policies that directly affect your education, whether they be academic or extra-curricular in nature. SGA might not be able to win all the battles or get exactly what the students seek, but it does positively impact the educational experience by giving students a voice. If it is any consolation to your class (and future classes), SGA was successful in helping change certain aspects of the M2 curriculum for the better.

I feel for those of you who are disappointed in the mandatory class attendance being at 70%. Personally it doesn't matter to me tho, I will be there probably 95%+ if accepted, ADD and all. Quite frankly the fact that you can skip 30% (or 50%) of your classes in medical school is somewhat mind-boggling to me. In my nursing school, you missed three classes and they dropped you.

Anyway, I am excited about this school. Who knew I had one of the best D.O. schools hiding out in my backyard in Florida. Once I get an answer on my LOR, I am submitting. Ty to you m1,2,3 etc's posting here, its nice to read about the program.

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to learning. For instance, I'm far more efficient with my time when I can go at my own pace (faster, mind you) than when I'm forced to spend 8 hours at school listening to lectures at 1x. Still, policy is policy and we have to follow the rules. Med students are some of the best complainers, though!

Best of luck to you this cycle. It is a great school with many opportunities within HPD and the surrounding areas of South Florida. If Nova doesn't have something, don't be shy- look for it elsewhere. Nova might not have all specialties represented on campus, but that doesn't mean you'll be SOL. You just have to take more of an initiative to find it (FAU, FIU, UMiami- three allopathic schools that might have what you're looking for).

The new attendance policy can also effect the people who actually learn by going to class. First of all, we have to swipe in every hour. The card readers are at the front of the lecture hall. We usually use the 10 minute break between lecture hours to go to the front and swipe in. However, there a lot of people that either forget to swipe during break or that come in late. It's distracting when you're listening to the professor and then see three people run down the stairs to swipe in. It's also distracting that since the card readers are in the front of the classroom, those who come late have to enter from the front doors instead of the back. Moreover, there are a ton of people that are on Facebook, sleeping, talking to their friends, or just fidgeting in their seat when the professor is talking. It's obvious that so many people don't want to be there- and it's distracting for people who actually do want to be there.

I think the hardest part of this will be figuring out how to study for class and boards if we get out at 3:00 or 5:00 everyday. Ahh

:: positive thoughts:: :: positive thoughts::

Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to learning. For instance, I'm far more efficient with my time when I can go at my own pace (faster, mind you) than when I'm forced to spend 8 hours at school listening to lectures at 1x. Still, policy is policy and we have to follow the rules. Med students are some of the best complainers, though!

Best of luck to you this cycle. It is a great school with many opportunities within HPD and the surrounding areas of South Florida. If Nova doesn't have something, don't be shy- look for it elsewhere. Nova might not have all specialties represented on campus, but that doesn't mean you'll be SOL. You just have to take more of an initiative to find it (FAU, FIU, UMiami- three allopathic schools that might have what you're looking for).

Its more than just med students, the healthcare field sometimes seems like it caters to the negative sometimes. I have to make a concerted effort to keep positive or change subjects when I am on the floor, and others are complaining (some nurses make a career out of this). Yes our jobs/school sucks sometimes, but that's all part of life and we each have to deal with it. Focusing on the positive is a much better way to deal with it.

It sounds like you have the right mindset about policies. Hospitals and schools love to change them, and if your not some sort of president or head of something, you really don't have much say. Its best to just take it for what it is and move on. Besides, sometimes the changes are good.

Anyway, lots of good feedback coming in this thread. Good vibes for the program.

The new attendance policy can also effect the people who actually learn by going to class. First of all, we have to swipe in every hour. The card readers are at the front of the lecture hall. We usually use the 10 minute break between lecture hours to go to the front and swipe in. However, there a lot of people that either forget to swipe during break or that come in late. It's distracting when you're listening to the professor and then see three people run down the stairs to swipe in. It's also distracting that since the card readers are in the front of the classroom, those who come late have to enter from the front doors instead of the back. Moreover, there are a ton of people that are on Facebook, sleeping, talking to their friends, or just fidgeting in their seat when the professor is talking. It's obvious that so many people don't want to be there- and it's distracting for people who actually do want to be there.

I think the hardest part of this will be figuring out how to study for class and boards if we get out at 3:00 or 5:00 everyday. Ahh

After reading your post, I feel like what you said about pacing is really valid. I do take frequent breaks when I study also, and being able to do that with class is good (hourly breaks/70 minute breaks work great for me).

But at the same time, if I was a professor and I was up there lecturing with hardly anyone in attendance, I would feel bad. Also there is no replacement for being able to ask questions when listening to a lecture. I always have extra questions (yes, I am that guy, not the dumb questions tho, I don't ask for repeat I know how to listen, I ask for expounding).

Keep thinking positive, its one of the few things we can control.

Just an FYI, I spoke with Mrs. Linda this morning, and she informed me that no interview invites will go out till they receive references. And the reference has to have an actual signature on it, electronic is not acceptable for letter requirements although they will look at it (sad for me, my adviser gave me an electronic sig, and is on Sabbatical).

Members don't see this ad :)
Just an FYI, I spoke with Mrs. Linda this morning, and she informed me that no interview invites will go out till they receive references. And the reference has to have an actual signature on it, electronic is not acceptable for letter requirements although they will look at it (sad for me, my adviser gave me an electronic sig, and is on Sabbatical).
The people who called said you dont need LOR yet.

The people who called said you dont need LOR yet.
She told me this morning that they just changed their policy for this year. I would call and check. Perhaps I misunderstood. Either way, my references went out this morning.

Question for everyone: When your letters went up, were they posted on the secondary app portal?

this is my biggest problem too. nsu was my dream school until I just read about the mandatory attendance policy.

They're one of the most competitive DO schools to get accepted to, but their board performance seems to be below national average from what i see. I hope i'm wrong on this. :(

Im not really sure why so many people are upset about a mandatory attendance policy. I mean I was planning on going to every class like I did for my whole undergrad, but I guess a lot of people dont.
I mean dont you want to utilize every source of information you can to succeed in medical school?

Reactions: 3 users
Im not really sure why so many people are upset about a mandatory attendance policy. I mean I was planning on going to every class like I did for my whole undergrad, but I guess a lot of people dont.
I mean dont you want to utilize every source of information you can to succeed in medical school?

Streaming lectures at 1.5x speed and self studying is a more productive option for me, but everyone is different.

She told me this morning that they just changed their policy for this year. I would call and check. Perhaps I misunderstood. Either way, my references went out this morning.
Would this mean that letters sent via Interfolio are unacceptable? ... because that would suck...

this is my biggest problem too. nsu was my dream school until I just read about the mandatory attendance policy.

They're one of the most competitive DO schools to get accepted to, but their board performance seems to be below national average from what i see. I hope i'm wrong on this. :(
I would advise everyone considering Nova to seriously consider whether 8-5 class five days a week is going to benefit them. I am definitely the type who learns traditional lecture material best on my own time, so this is a tough pill to swallow.

I would advise everyone considering Nova to seriously consider whether 8-5 class five days a week is going to benefit them. I am definitely the type who learns traditional lecture material best on my own time, so this is a tough pill to swallow.
to me, looking at vague powerpoint slides with like 4 words on them with no context has no benefit at all.

which means to chance to ask questions, which means no interactive learning.
but hey, whatever floats your boat im not judging

I'm usually good about attendance, but that was undergrad. I see what theyre saying; Some lectures and/or lectureRS just won't be worth the time. 30% may still be enough to avoid the worst (hopefully)

Would this mean that letters sent via Interfolio are unacceptable? ... because that would suck...
No, but ones where the author chose to 'electronically sign' will not count for requirements. You can still submit with interfolio.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves here. The curriculum is not 8-5pm 5 days per week. Monday afternoons are typically lighter (out at noon or 3 pm depending on what's going on). Tuesday afternoons during M1 and first part of M2 are free due to IGC where you go to a physician's office a few times per semester. Friday afternoons are free. Lab days (Wednesday/Thursday) are the days where you're there from 8-5 pm, with labs being from 1-5 pm. You'll always have OPP and Physical Dx lab, but the lab days lighten up a little once you're done with Anatomy and Histology (first semester M1) and Neuroanatomy (second semester M1).

Reactions: 4 users

People seem pretty convinced that this new attendance policy is going to show a drop in board scores. I guess we'll see next year lol

which means to chance to ask questions, which means no interactive learning.
but hey, whatever floats your boat im not judging

I guess this wasn't mentioned: most people are upset about the attendance policy because we were sent an email by administration that it was happening literally days before our summer session started. By this time, people who commute had already renewed housing contracts because they had assumed that they didn't need to be on campus at 8 AM everyday. Others had already solidified family obligations (have enrolled children in a school far away and have to drive them). It felt like it came from left field, and we were caught off guard. That's the big issue most of my classmates have.

Secondly, going to class and asking the professor questions may be considered interactive learning for some people and that's fine, but for ~200 people in my class, it doesn't work. That's why those students don't go to lecture to begin with. Luckily, the professors at Nova are great with answering questions outside the classroom too, so if there's something I really need answered and I didn't get to ask the prof in class, I can just shoot them an email or set up an appointment to meet with them. Therefore, I wouldn't consider not going to class as a lack of utilizing resources. But like you said, whatever floats your boat.

People seem pretty convinced that this new attendance policy is going to show a drop in board scores. I guess we'll see next year lol

I guess this wasn't mentioned: most people are upset about the attendance policy because we were sent an email by administration that it was happening literally days before our summer session started. By this time, people who commute had already renewed housing contracts because they had assumed that they didn't need to be on campus at 8 AM everyday. Others had already solidified family obligations (have enrolled children in a school far away and have to drive them). It felt like it came from left field, and we were caught off guard. That's the big issue most of my classmates have.

Secondly, going to class and asking the professor questions may be considered interactive learning for some people and that's fine, but for ~200 people in my class, it doesn't work. That's why those students don't go to lecture to begin with. Luckily, the professors at Nova are great with answering questions outside the classroom too, so if there's something I really need answered and I didn't get to ask the prof in class, I can just shoot them an email or set up an appointment to meet with them. Therefore, I wouldn't consider not going to class as a lack of utilizing resources. But like you said, whatever floats your boat.
thanks for clarifying it, makes more sense why some people would be upset for other reasons.

Damn, was really hoping II's would go out this week...

Just wondering... If I have a 29 mcat but am registered to take it again, will the school even look at my application for an II? Or will it wait until the new scores come in?

So I applied to MD schools but was also considering applying to nova this cycle. If I haven't finished my acomas application yet would you guys say it's too late? I would also be missing my physician letter. How does the verification work as compared to amcas?

So I applied to MD schools but was also considering applying to nova this cycle. If I haven't finished my acomas application yet would you guys say it's too late? I would also be missing my physician letter. How does the verification work as compared to amcas?
It is still early in the game. Verification works the same way. 2-6 weeks I believe. But you do need a physician letter M.D or D.O

I got the call last week saying everything was in for review. Checked my portal a few days later and all my letters are listed as received, and I'm fairly certain at least 1 of them chose to do the electronic signature because she submitted it directly on Interfolio rather than scanning a copy of it.... I'll have to look into that and see if they are good to go or if I need to get back on my game!

I got the call last week saying everything was in for review. Checked my portal a few days later and all my letters are listed as received, and I'm fairly certain at least 1 of them chose to do the electronic signature because she submitted it directly on Interfolio rather than scanning a copy of it.... I'll have to look into that and see if they are good to go or if I need to get back on my game!
I got an email stating they had received my letters of reference. Anyone know, on avg. the turnaround to see about interviews after everything is received? I can't remember reading this thread if anyone has received II's yet, but if anyone has, what was the turnaround for you?

I got an email stating they had received my letters of reference. Anyone know, on avg. the turnaround to see about interviews after everything is received? I can't remember reading this thread if anyone has received II's yet, but if anyone has, what was the turnaround for you?
The guy that called me said it was generally about 3 weeks for an application review. I was very impressed to see that they were calling applicants to let them know their apps are complete and make me confident that they have a very responsive administration.

Anyone received their secondary application ?

The mandatory attendance policy has been cancelled (for now)!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a little confused about the osteopathic application cycle. My primary application was just verified. What comes next? Do I wait for an email from the school or start sending in my letters? All of my letters are done electronically at my school, so is this unacceptable?

I'm a little confused about the osteopathic application cycle. My primary application was just verified. What comes next? Do I wait for an email from the school or start sending in my letters? All of my letters are done electronically at my school, so is this unacceptable?

No it's fine. Give your pre health advisor a list of the osteopathic schools you're applying to and they will give
Them the letters electronically.

You can use inter folio but it costs
Money.

Hey future Class of 2019,
I'm starting school next week, and I thought I'd give some last minute advice since I will be beyond busy.

I'll start with secondaries:
1. Fill it out as soon as you get it. It's easy and quick, and don't overanalyze every word in the directions. By all means, it is important to follow directions, but some of you have been dissecting each word like it's the Verbal Reasoning section. Relax, and don't overthink. Just do what they ask and send that in asap!

Interview Invite:
1. should be coming soon, you will get an email with a link to a calendar to book your day.
2. you can choose whatever date you want, and you can switch whenever you want. Seriously, I must've switched dates like 3 or 4 times. Pick a date that works for you, but don't feel bad if you need to change it.

Interview Day:
1. Oh man, where do I begin? I would eat breakfast since lunch isn't until 1PM. I know it's easier said than done when you got the "jitters" or "butterflies," lol but make sure you're at least hydrated and comfortable.
2. The interview itself is a panel of 1-3 faculty/staff/doctors. It was super non-stress. Probably one of the most comfortable interviews I've been at. Just be yourself and don't sound rehearsed. DO NOT ramble on and on, or go off tangents. If you don't know how to answer a question, either ask that question to be repeated/rephrased or stay silent to think about what you're going to say. You don't need to answer a question the second it's asked. It's OKAY to spend a minute to think about answering it.
2b. Be prepared to answer questions about your hobbies and things that are NOT in your application. I can't stress this enough lol.
3. The campus tour and HPD tour was great. You get to see the building where you will study at, as well as the beautiful campus.
4. Be sure to thank everyone before you leave (staff, interviewers, students who led your tour, etc.).

Follow up:
1. Thank you cards or emails needs to be done asap. I wrote my interviewers a thank you email as soon as I got to my hotel room. Don't write anything generic. Make it formal, but also personal with details that you and the interviewer would know about.
2. You can ALWAYS add additional letters of recommendation, letters of intent, letters of interest, and even a letter describing your updates.
3. If you don't hear back from Nova within the given time frame, call them. But I would avoid calling before the estimated time frame.
If you don't hear back within a couple months, this is NORMAL. You might see someone on SDN who interviewed weeks after you get an acceptance before you...this is also normal.

I think this is all the stuff I have to say. For those of you that are concerned about the mandatory attendance policy, I have no idea what's going on with that. You can ask NeuroLax or NekoBeats for more info on that. Hope this helps :) I will be available to answer any questions up until next Monday 8/4 (when classes start). Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Lets not get too ahead of ourselves here. The curriculum is not 8-5pm 5 days per week. Monday afternoons are typically lighter (out at noon or 3 pm depending on what's going on). Tuesday afternoons during M1 and first part of M2 are free due to IGC where you go to a physician's office a few times per semester. Friday afternoons are free. Lab days (Wednesday/Thursday) are the days where you're there from 8-5 pm, with labs being from 1-5 pm. You'll always have OPP and Physical Dx lab, but the lab days lighten up a little once you're done with Anatomy and Histology (first semester M1) and Neuroanatomy (second semester M1).
What was the attendance rate this past year NeuroLAX? I remember on my interview day the faculty I interviewed with disliked the non-mandatory attendance and expressed it, so I'm not surprised by this. Im just wondering how dismal the rate had to have been for them to change it.

What was the attendance rate this past year NeuroLAX? I remember on my interview day the faculty I interviewed with disliked the non-mandatory attendance and expressed it, so I'm not surprised by this. Im just wondering how dismal the rate had to have been for them to change it.

It depended on the course. Friday mornings were mandatory (along with the mandatory labs and small groups on other days), so the attendance reflected that. Systems lectures... not so much.

Hmm I haven't received a phone call. I submitted on the 17th, and everything is shown as received.

Weird - my committee sends a committee letter and individual letters as part of a packet and my individual letters are marked as received, but not the committee letter. Weird. Oh well, my individual letters meet the requirements anyway.

Applying here: 3.8 nonscience GPA, 3.5 sGPA, 25 MCAT (7,8,10), 60 shadowing hours, 100 clinical volunteering hours, 300+ nonclinical volunteer hours, 10 leadership positions, 10 awards, and 100 hours with research w/publication.

Applying here: 3.8 nonscience GPA, 3.5 sGPA, 25 MCAT (7,8,10), 60 shadowing hours, 100 clinical volunteering hours, 300+ nonclinical volunteer hours, 10 leadership positions, 10 awards, and 100 hours with research w/publication.
cool...

Reactions: 10 users