Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Coming from Oregon, if I have to choose between this school and somewhere in the rain/cold, then let's just say I'll go where the palm trees sway in the breeze

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
California kid applying here!

Reactions: 1 user
Would love to go here!

This is my top choice school...wish they had early decision.

One of my top choices! Good luck to everyone. It's going to be a grind

Hey guys, I'm a current M2, soon-to-be M3 starting in July. There are a good number of current students on SDN that'll be around to answer questions throughout the application cycle. My advice for applying to NSU is to submit your app as soon as possible. Earlier app => earlier secondary => earlier interview invite => earlier interview. The interview dates fill up really quick here, so if you get an interview invite, make sure to select a date right away instead of waiting a day or two. As for the interview itself, it's usually 10-15 minutes long with a panel consisting of at least 1 physician. Know your app, prepare good answers, be yourself, etc.

The app cycle is stressful, but we all survived and you'll get through it too. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Oh my God, we're already talking about the class of 2020- people I won't even ever be in the same building with. It feels like only a few months since I was submitting my application to AACOMAS. Anyway, I'm in the M1-M2 transition state at NSU and I'm bored, so feel free to ask questions.

Applying here this cycle, hoping for some in-state love...good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just submitted my AACOMAS application today. Still have to wait on my transcripts to be evaluated.

3.55sGPA/3.4 overall GPA, 25 MCAT/OOS (7 BS/8PS/10VR (last 120 credit hours=3.64 overall GPA, same sGPA).
Former military/teacher/college athlete, so hoping that my EC's help to overshadow my subpar MCAT.
I am a bit nervous about applying. I was accepted into the big 4 schools in the Caribbean, but I would much rather go the DO route. Good luck to everyone and hopefully I get a secondary and an invite.

Just submitted my AACOMAS application today. Still have to wait on my transcripts to be evaluated.

3.55sGPA/3.4 overall GPA, 25 MCAT/OOS (7 BS/8PS/10VR (last 120 credit hours=3.64 overall GPA, same sGPA).
Former military/teacher/college athlete, so hoping that my EC's help to overshadow my subpar MCAT.
I am a bit nervous about applying. I was accepted into the big 4 schools in the Caribbean, but I would much rather go the DO route. Good luck to everyone and hopefully I get a secondary and an invite.

Good luck! Apply broad and I think you will do well

What's the first date for DO schools to receive applications?

Current m1 here. If you have any questions about the interview process, being a student here or anything else pertaining to NSU-COM feel free to ask. I don't always check this, so if I don't answer, feel free to try my instagram @jennings.gyedu Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Accepted M1 student starting in August. If you have any questions about the application process/interview specifically (haven't started yet obviously) feel free to ask. Just getting out of the process, I know how insane it can be, so hope to be of help like those before me.

Could you explain what your interview was like. Was it group or individual, open file, etc. Thanks!

Individual, open file. Interview really centers on getting to know you and they will pull straight from your file word for word and ask you about it. I cannot stress enough how important it is to know your file. I mentioned chari malformation on my file in passing & was asked about that on the spot (hadn't seen that in 2+ years mind you lol). Other then that it's very conversational.

*Because I know this will come up when interviews start let me state this now: in regards to chances, my group at my interview was told that NSUCOM was interviewing 550 candidates out of 7,000 and was offering acceptances to 450 (12% interview rate) for a class size of 236. So that's an 81% acceptance rate post interview if you do well. So if you get an interview be sure to really sell yourself. Bc if you're called for an interview they already like you on paper. Now it's up to you to make them like you more in person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! Does anyone know when we should expect secondary applications after our application has been verified and paid for?

Hey guys! Does anyone know when we should expect secondary applications after our application has been verified and paid for?
You can open the secondary after submitting the primary. They allow everyone to fill out secondaries and do not screen. I believe there was a link either emailed to me or on the website when I did it. It's very simple, and probably the fastest one you'll do.

Applying here! Good luck everyone! Can't wait to get this cycle on the way!

You can open the secondary after submitting the primary. They allow everyone to fill out secondaries and do not screen. I believe there was a link either emailed to me or on the website when I did it. It's very simple, and probably the fastest one you'll do.
Hi, do you know when do they start interviewing?

Probably not til September but not 100% sure. I interviewed in January.

September was when their interview season began last year.

How long did it take you guys to be verified once the AACOMAS received the transcripts?

Depends when you submit. I did it on October and it took 6 weeks. Earlier the better for you and your chances.

Just submitted mine! Wish me luck and good luck to everyone! :highfive:

Btw, does anybody know if NSUCOM send out to every applicant or do they screen the primaries first?

Just submitted mine! Wish me luck and good luck to everyone! :highfive:

Btw, does anybody know if NSUCOM send out to every applicant or do they screen the primaries first?

They do not screen. Every one gets a secondary.

Reactions: 2 users
I heard NSUCOM has a special track that allows podiatrist to enter as a 2nd yr DO student. Does anyone have info or friends that are in this special track program? How do they complete the OMM requirement if they enter as a 2nd yr? Have they successfully matched? Any info would be greatly appreciated

I heard NSUCOM has a special track that allows podiatrist to enter as a 2nd yr DO student. Does anyone have info or friends that are in this special track program? How do they complete the OMM requirement if they enter as a 2nd yr? Have they successfully matched? Any info would be greatly appreciated

I've honestly never heard of this. I don't think NSU would let someone start M2 year without having completed any M1 OMM, but crazier things have happened. Your best bet for info would probably be to call HPD and ask them.

Hey guys, I'm a current M2, soon-to-be M3 starting in July. There are a good number of current students on SDN that'll be around to answer questions throughout the application cycle. My advice for applying to NSU is to submit your app as soon as possible. Earlier app => earlier secondary => earlier interview invite => earlier interview. The interview dates fill up really quick here, so if you get an interview invite, make sure to select a date right away instead of waiting a day or two. As for the interview itself, it's usually 10-15 minutes long with a panel consisting of at least 1 physician. Know your app, prepare good answers, be yourself, etc.

The app cycle is stressful, but we all survived and you'll get through it too. Good luck!

interview is only 10-15 minutes ?:confused:

Hey Nekobeats, thanks for your response. Did you notice any new students that joined your class as a second year that you didn't see around as a first year? I'll try and contact NSU. Thanks

Is it pretty relaxed? or do they grill you? lol

Their questions are to-the-point so maybe it'll seem like they're grilling you. I don't think they grill people on purpose though. I agree with Knickstape that it's important to know your own application very well. Otherwise you'll look unprepared and there's isn't that much time for redemption since the interview is so short. I haven't really heard any horror stories about the interview. Hard part is usually the waiting that comes after :rolleyes:

Hey Nekobeats, thanks for your response. Did you notice any new students that joined your class as a second year that you didn't see around as a first year? I'll try and contact NSU. Thanks

Yeah there are but usually they're upperclassman that have to remediate the class/year for whatever reason. There were a lot of times during a mandatory class or exam where I'll see someone and think "I've never seen that person before...", but honestly it could be that they've been here the whole time, it's just that there are so many students in each class. Good luck!

What's the weather like in FL? I'm from the Northwest so I'm worried it might be too hot and humid to concentrate on studying.

What's the weather like in FL? I'm from the Northwest so I'm worried it might be too hot and humid to concentrate on studying.
Lol really???
I'm not a student there but I lived in north Miami for a year and it can get darn hot. Study in the AC lol (and I'm from PA) But that's mainly June thru August/September- August is the worst!

It will get pretty hot here in SoFlo, so be prepped! It's usually the humidity that makes it killer. Also prep for rain.

May I ask you a question? I tried to send an email to their admission office to ask a question but my email was returned. I sent to their email address list on CIB book, [email protected].

It looks like the only way to contact them is to go to this website and fill in the form. http://www.nova.edu/contactus/index.html then submit.

Do you know any email address which can reach to admission office directly? So far, I think this is the only DO school which does not have a direct email address or phone number to its admission office.