Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats to those who got the II! Looks like they went from reviewing apps completed in mid July to those completed in early July. Their timeline gives me a headache.
Is that how they are doing it? I just rechecked my app based on all these missing letter stuff and I got the complete call on 7/8.

II today. :highfive:

Hopefully, I get to interview on the same day as sockpupet, so I could give him a sdn punch to the face. :laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call saying I was complete a month ago (7/29). I just called admissions and they said that my transcripts were missing, but I was still under review and if they have any problems getting the transcripts from AACOMAS they will contact me.

Im just going off of what users on this site have posted about when they got the complete call. Its a small sample size so take it with a grain of salt

Congrats! mind sharing your stats/w,hen you were complete?

I was completed in the second week of July. My stats are average to above average for NSU standards.

Reactions: 1 user
II just now! OOS (Tx) complete first week of July!

Reactions: 1 users
For those with II's, what are the interview dates that you guys can see online? I am trying to switch my interview date (Sept 10th) to a later one but I don't see any others available

Can those with II who submit early July let us know if they submit their letters through AACOMAS? I'm still paranoid even though I called today lol

Edit: spelling lol

II! Really excited because I've heard some great things about this school!

October 1st, 6th, and 8th were the days marked as available for me.

Complete: 7/28
OOS, MCAT < 30, GPA > 3.5

Reactions: 2 users
Can those with II who submit early July let us know if they submit their letters through AACOMAS? I'm still paranoid even though I called today lol

I submitted 1 through AACOMAS And 2 through interfolio.

I submitted my committee letter through aacomas and have had no problems there. Hope everything works out for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any FL residents with II?
Seems like these II from NSU have been to OOS candidates lately

Reactions: 2 users
I submitted my letters through AACOMAS as well. No problem here. If you have any doubt, you need to call aacomas to have them check if any of your letters is corrupted.

The posts here have made me paranoid. I keep checking my portal cuz I feel that any second my LoRs on the portal can disappear. Thank you NSU for the ultimate stress-free application cycle. :boom:

Is the overall impression that if the letters show up as received in the portal that means that all is good and I do not need to call and check on them?

got a call today from a random number, i googled it and Ft Lauderdale came up, so I was hoping it was NSU! There wasn't a message, and I missed the call. So I emailed admissions asking if I missed anything vital to the application. I submitted the 2ndary a few days ago

The consensus from students I've spoken to here is that the curriculum and professors are top notch, but their administrative folks are a complete joke. It doesn't stop after admissions either, many stories of students having their financial aid data botched and being forced to take last minute private bank loans to cover tuition.

II! Really excited because I've heard some great things about this school!

October 1st, 6th, and 8th were the days marked as available for me.

Complete: 7/28
OOS, MCAT < 30, GPA > 3.5

Same

wait so we need to send NSU a copy of our official transcripts? Also, I was verified 2 weeks ago and still no secondary invite... anyone have the same issue? should i call them ?

wait so we need to send NSU a copy of our official transcripts? Also, I was verified 2 weeks ago and still no secondary invite... anyone have the same issue? should i call them ?

You do not need to submit official transcripts directly to NSU unless you are accepted.

I received my Nova secondary application a couple days after my AACOMAS application was verified. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call. I am not sure if Nova pre-screens, but make sure you meet their minimum requirements listed on their website :).

It gets even better they told me that even though I received a "my app is complete" call they told me they changed the criteria they use to review for interviews without telling anyone, so technically my app was incomplete until they resolved the stupid glitch about requiring official transcripts.

As for the LORs I have no idea if they will review my app without the LORs, since they still haven't been added to my app (re-sent them today after I sent them AGES ago and they never received). It wouldn't surprise me if NOVA rejected my app bc they didn't see my LORs based off of everything else they've been doing.

If I would have never called they would have never told me my app is incomplete and I'd probably get rejected bc they didn't have all the information.

I strongly recommend everyone calls them if they haven't received a II because there's a lot amiss here.
wow!! thanks for sharing. I might be in the same boat as you...

I cant believe they would make the call for confirmation if there were unresolved issues...

You're welcome. Definitely call them tomorrow and ask them about your application. I normally don't recommend calling med schools bc it's very easy to over-communicate and being known isn't a good thing, but this is a definite exception.

To clarify, your application will not be reviewed if they do not have your letters.

Source: I called and asked.

I've been complete since JULY at this school with letters sent through AACOMAS letter system.

No news.

@Gandy741 same here, I got a call from them in mid July, maybe like the 20th and haven't heard anything since. All my letters show up on the protal and they sent me a PDF of my application but thats it.

@Gandy741 same here, I got a call from them in mid July, maybe like the 20th and haven't heard anything since. All my letters show up on the protal and they sent me a PDF of my application but thats it.

Yep, sounds like me.

Does receiving a phone call mean they have all my stuff? I received the phone call more than a month ago

I emailed them and they said they have the physician letter from the AACOMAS application, even though it isn't reflected in the portal. ARGHHH the miscommunication between departments is so frustrating

Hey, I submitted my secondaries a week ago and had the call from NOVA saying my application is complete for review. But the MCAT Test Scores shown a previous MCAT date from 2012. I took a 2015 MCAT in July and released the scores to AACOMAS. Does anyone know if they will update the portal to the new test scores?

Hey, I submitted my secondaries a week ago and had the call from NOVA saying my application is complete for review. But the MCAT Test Scores shown a previous MCAT date from 2012. I took a 2015 MCAT in July and released the scores to AACOMAS. Does anyone know if they will update the portal to the new test scores?

I would call and ask.

Quick question: For those who submitted a committee letter, did it show received for all three of the recommendation fields, or did it only show received for one with the other two left blank? I am referring to the secondary web portal.

how do you check if you are complete, I did get a phone call saying my application was ready for review.. but today I got an email saying

Dear Prospective Student:

The Office of Admissions at Nova Southeastern University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM) has recently received your application from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Services (AACOMAS). NSU-COM requires each applicant to complete an online NSU Admission Application and to pay a $50 nonrefundable application fee.

Please be aware that you should meet the minimum admission requirements for your application to be considered. These requirements are available for your review on the COM’s website at http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/index.html. Knowing the requirements, if you wish to complete the NSU-COM online admissions application, it is available at https://webstar.nova.edu/pls/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon.

Please feel free to contact the Health Professions Division (HPD) Office of Admissions at 1-877-640-0218, or email at [email protected], if you have any questions.

The Office of Admissions looks forward to receiving and reviewing your completed application in the near future. Early completion of the application process is strongly recommended. NSU-COM receives over 5,500 AACOMAS applications each year, of which 230 students are selected for admittance. Please note that your NSU online application may be submitted prior to AACOMAS receiving your MCAT scores. You will be contacted by email upon receipt of your secondary application.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!

how do you check if you are complete, I did get a phone call saying my application was ready for review.. but today I got an email saying

The Office of Admissions at Nova Southeastern University - College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM) has recently received your application from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Services (AACOMAS). NSU-COM requires each applicant to complete an online NSU Admission Application and to pay a $50 nonrefundable application fee.

Please be aware that you should meet the minimum admission requirements for your application to be considered. These requirements are available for your review on the COM’s website at http://medicine.nova.edu/do/admissions/index.html. Knowing the requirements, if you wish to complete the NSU-COM online admissions application, it is available at https://webstar.nova.edu/pls/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon.

Please feel free to contact the Health Professions Division (HPD) Office of Admissions at 1-877-640-0218, or email at [email protected], if you have any questions.

The Office of Admissions looks forward to receiving and reviewing your completed application in the near future. Early completion of the application process is strongly recommended. NSU-COM receives over 5,500 AACOMAS applications each year, of which 230 students are selected for admittance. Please note that your NSU online application may be submitted prior to AACOMAS receiving your MCAT scores. You will be contacted by email upon receipt of your secondary application.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!
That was the secondary invite email.

Quick question: For those who submitted a committee letter, did it show received for all three of the recommendation fields, or did it only show received for one with the other two left blank? I am referring to the secondary web portal.

Left the other two blank. They did fill my Doctor recommendation portion in the portal.

That was the secondary invite email.

how is my app ready to be reviewed if I didn't submit a secondary. I just checked and I did submit a secondary, I have a receipt in my inbox as well.

EDIT: I paid the 50$

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!!

If you submitted your secondary application and got a phone call from Nova saying you were ready for review, you are complete. If you received another email inviting you to a complete a secondary application after you already completed one, it may be a glitch. If you are nervous about it, you can try to call them and explain your problem to them.

My portal shows the committee letter, as well as all the names of all the letter writers. All the spaces are filled

If you submitted your secondary application and got a phone call from Nova saying you were ready for review, you are complete. If you received another email inviting you to a complete a secondary application after you already completed one, it may be a glitch. If you are nervous about it, you can try to call them and explain your problem to them.
Maybe they meant to send me an II.jk but I'll call tmrw.

Congrats to everyone with II's! Would any current students or applicants who have already interviewed care to shed some light on the interview day itself?

damn I got wait listed for them last year but still no interview invite this year, it's starting to stress me out a bit ><

I'm in the same boat! Interviewed last year very late (March), LOVED the school, waitlisted....no dice. I'd really, really like to interview again and prove to them how I would be an asset to their program. :/

got a call today from a random number, i googled it and Ft Lauderdale came up, so I was hoping it was NSU! There wasn't a message, and I missed the call. So I emailed admissions asking if I missed anything vital to the application. I submitted the 2ndary a few days ago

It may have been. I submitted my secondary a couple days ago as well and just got a call from a FL number. I picked up and it was the office informing me that my file was complete and going for review...

So I just submitted my application, and it shows up under submitted applications, but as far as I could tell there's no location to see what is still required. Should I just submit my LORs through Interfolio or wait to get confirmation?

So I just submitted my application, and it shows up under submitted applications, but as far as I could tell there's no location to see what is still required. Should I just submit my LORs through Interfolio or wait to get confirmation?
If you just submitted your app, I don't think your LORs will show up right away, it took a couple days for mine to show up. Did you send your LORs through the AACOMAS app? If so then your experience might be different than mine since I sent my LORs through interfolio

I submitted my application a while back, received the complete phone call, but I just had a new letter uploaded to AACOMAS, does anyone know how long/if NSU will update the portal with this letter?
thanks!

anyone know how long it takes for adcom to post letters received through inter folio?

anyone know how long it takes for adcom to post letters received through inter folio?

Depends how busy they are. When I submitted at the end of July it took 2 days to show up.

After reading some of your posts, I decided to call NSU as well to check the status of my application. When I called two weeks ago, they assured me that my application was complete and "ready for review". However, I called last Thursday to find out that they in fact had NOT received my D.O. letter yet. They lady who was assisting me told me to resubmit the letter asap. She also mentioned that they will likely be sending letters to individuals who have missing items to their applications.

I would encourage all to call about their application status and not merely rely on the portal.

Just added this school! About how long does it take to get the secondary?