Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just called admission and apparently they never got my MCAT score. I received the completion call in early August so I'm pretty frustrated. :/

Members don't see this ad :)
NSU is really letting me down with their application procedure. I received the phone call back in July and still have not heard anything about interviews. By what criteria do they review complete applications? Have I been silently rejected (if so, why not just give a full out rejection)? Would be nice to know where I stand with this school....

Reactions: 4 users
What did they tell you to do about it?

They told me to re-release my score to AACOMAS and then get AACOMAS to update everything. Then, I could call admissions and they would "re-download" my application. I'm so frustrated. AACOMAS isn't available today because there is some sort of meeting going on...

The same thing happened with me a few weeks back, which infuriated me because all the other schools received them!

I called and they said they didn't not have my MCAT scores or official transcripts, but that my application was being reviewed and they would let me know if I needed to do anything. I'm just going to go with it.

Wait...we need to send official transcript? I've called and emailed admissions and they've all said I'm complete. I've never sent in transcripts. What's happening here?!

Btw, I noticed that the curriculum is tri-semester. Do students have summer break here?

Unless something's changed, summer break after M1 year is about 7 weeks if you don't do the anatomy fellowship.

Summer break after M2 year is however long you want it to be. Finals are the last week of April with some random mandatory events sprinkled in the beginning of May. If you take your board exams in early May, you'll have ~2 months until rotations start in July. Most people take the board exams in mid-June though, so they get about 2 weeks of vacation.

I'm an M3 now so I'm not sure what happens at the end of the year, but I'm pretty sure we don't have a break, just rotations back to back with boards again sometime in the summer

I am OOS. Submitted mine the first day. Definitely have been a while!

I just wonder do they silently reject?

Nova doesn't silently reject. You'll hear back, eventually :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They told me to re-release my score to AACOMAS and then get AACOMAS to update everything. Then, I could call admissions and they would "re-download" my application. I'm so frustrated. AACOMAS isn't available today because there is some sort of meeting going on...

Were the unavailable all day? How did you find out- phone/email? I'm having issues with AACOMAS too...

Were the unavailable all day? How did you find out- phone/email? I'm having issues with AACOMAS too...

They were unavailable when I called at 2pm-5pm(and their business hours end at 5pm). At 2pm was when I heard from Nova, so maybe they were available earlier that morning. They were available this morning though!

AACOMAS phone number: (617) 612-2889

Got the complete phone call this morning! 502 MCAT 3.81 GPA....hoping for an II!

Interviewing here... any suggestions on places to visit or eat at in Fort Lauderdale? :)
If you like chicken look for any of the La Granja locations ... they have at least 10 in the eastern south florida area =] yummy

Hey, does anyone know how much of the curriculum is lecture and how much is case-based/pbl/small group here?

Pretty much all lecture. There's a case-based class on Fridays where a lecturer will go through cases and ask follow-up questions. People just shout out what they think. The only small group thing is in PCM (principles of clinical medicine), which is a class during M2 year. You get split up into a group of 8 people or so and every week someone will interview a standardized patient in front of the group. Then there's a discussion about how the person did and what kind of labs you'd order/what your differentials are based on what the patient said.

OOOOOOoooooo looks like NOVA is opening up their allopathic school soon. They have it on the brochure now lol
Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 11.24.50 AM.png

So if my composite letter has just now been submitted by my pre-health advisor but I was otherwise complete in late July (I got two calls, one to turn in the signature sheet and the other saying my file is complete and ready for review), would you guys think I should do like the others here have done with the missing MCAT scores and call them to re-download my app for their files? I don't want to be an annoyance unless it is necessary so not sure.....

So if my composite letter has just now been submitted by my pre-health advisor but I was otherwise complete in late July (I got two calls, one to turn in the signature sheet and the other saying my file is complete and ready for review), would you guys think I should do like the others here have done with the missing MCAT scores and call them to re-download my app for their files? I don't want to be an annoyance unless it is necessary so not sure.....

I just called them to tell them to re-download my AACOMAS application for my MCAT and they told me next time to email admissions directly or something. I am not exactly sure how to do that/ I am not sure exactly what she meant, but she told me she emailed admissions to "advise them to re-download" my application. The admission process for this school is making me so frustrated :/. I really like this school though.

Last edited:
I just called them to tell them to re-download my AACOMAS application for my MCAT and they told me next time to email admissions directly or something. I am not exactly sure how to do that/ I am not sure exactly what she meant, but she told me she emailed admissions to "advise them to re-download" my application. The admission process for this school is making me so frustrated :/. I really like this school though.
They told me if you got the complete call not to worry even if the score isn't there. :)

Hey! does anyone know what hotel to stay at? I am having trouble finding hotels that are not 30 minutes away! thanks

lets say you were originally complete in August, but you sent updated letters of rec or new mcat scores or whatever this week. The updates you sent moved you to the back of the line in respects to when you will get reviewed. So for anyone that just used the "aacomas academic update" it basically moved you behind everyone else who just received their complete calls in September. AACOMAS is very slow this year and it's causing huge bottlenecks :(

Does anyone know if Nova is receptive to "In the area" emails? Has anyone seen sdn posters mentioning any luck with this in years past? ...asking for a friend.

Anyone here complete with all letters and application towards end of August with an Interview invite?

Just got the dreaded "your letter has no signature" phone call.

I guess if they are taking the time to call me it is a good sign!

Last edited:
They told me if you got the complete call not to worry even if the score isn't there. :)

That's what I thought. Secondary submitted late July. Complete call a week or two weeks into August. Call in early September to tell me they are missing my official MCAT scores. Really they just needed to redownload my primary application, but wasn't going to waste time arguing with them about that. Sent official MCAT scores and transcripts (transcripts just because I didn't want to deal with another unpredictable set back). Got a complete call early to mid September (second complete call). Just send all your MCAT scores and transcripts by mail anyways is my advice.

Yeah I was complete early July still heard nothing back. It's killing me because its my number 1 school, meanwhile I already got an interview offer from every other school I applied to.
I'm just going to cross my fingers and wear my lucky socks for a month straight, hopefully I hear back from them soon so I can just move down there and be happy for the rest of my life lol.

So just got a call on my phone. Before picking it up, I see the call is from Florida. I was thinking hell yes! answered the phone...and some BS advertisement about wireless home phone service or something :rage::punch:

Last edited:
Anyone here have recommendations for hotels near NSU? All the hotels around look pretty expensive and its hard to find one that has a shuttle to NSU

Anyone know who I should email/call to let them know my new mcat scores are uploaded onto my app now?

Throughout the application process, this school has been extremely difficult to work with. Submitted a secondary over a month ago and I am still getting phone calls saying I need to submit letters of recommendation. I have had no issues with any other schools. I have letters of recommendation from an academic advisor, 2 physicians, and 2 science faculty members. I've updated my AACOAMAS application and called them several times to try and figure this problem out. They check in every 2 weeks, via phone calls, to see when I will be turning in my LOR, but then when I tell them what I have done they say it should take 5-10 business days, but I should be set.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Starting to think it is the school's fault and not my own, 12 other DO apps have gone smoothly for me.

Reactions: 5 users
# I should call to update my app with new mcat score?

# I should call to update my app with new mcat score?

I called: 1-877-640-0218 and talked to someone in the health professions divison. They emailed admissions for me to advise them to re-download my updated AACOMAS application. Within a day, I could see they had received my MCAT score on the portal.

I called: 1-877-640-0218 and talked to someone in the health professions divison. They emailed admissions for me to advise them to re-download my updated AACOMAS application. Within a day, I could see they had received my MCAT score on the portal.
Thank you!!!! Do you know what time they close?

Throughout the application process, this school has been extremely difficult to work with. Submitted a secondary over a month ago and I am still getting phone calls saying I need to submit letters of recommendation. I have had no issues with any other schools. I have letters of recommendation from an academic advisor, 2 physicians, and 2 science faculty members. I've updated my AACOAMAS application and called them several times to try and figure this problem out. They check in every 2 weeks, via phone calls, to see when I will be turning in my LOR, but then when I tell them what I have done they say it should take 5-10 business days, but I should be set.

Has anyone else had similar problems? Starting to think it is the school's fault and not my own, 12 other DO apps have gone smoothly for me.

I think everyone has been having problems with admissions, sadly.

Personally, this week they called me to tell they didn't have my MCAT score. So, I had to re-release my score and have them re-download my application. After that, it looks like they re-downloaded all of my LOR, which I thought was weird. A day later I got a phone call saying my physican's letter was not signed. I found it weird that they didn't tell me that originally when I got my completion call back in early August.... Luckily, it was fairly easy to get her to resubmit the letter with a signature. Today I got a voice mail saying my application was forwarded to review, which freaked me out because it was the same voice mail I got when my application was marked complete in August. I'm not sure if they just say the same generic thing each time or what. The process shouldn't have to be this stressful on applicants though.

I had the exact same thing happen, and so did others. We vented about this earlier in the thread.

I think everyone has been having problems with admissions, sadly.

Personally, this week they called me to tell they didn't have my MCAT score. So, I had to re-release my score and have them re-download my application. After that, it looks like they re-downloaded all of my LOR, which I thought was weird. A day later I got a phone call saying my physican's letter was not signed. I found it weird that they didn't tell me that originally when I got my completion call back in early August.... Luckily, it was fairly easy to get her to resubmit the letter with a signature. Today I got a voice mail saying my application was forwarded to review, which freaked me out because it was the same voice mail I got when my application was marked complete in August. I'm not sure if they just say the same generic thing each time or what. The process shouldn't have to be this stressful on applicants though.

Hey, Can you tell me when you resubmitted your physician letter. I went through the exact same thing as you, but I haven't gotten another sent for review call.

Hey, Can you tell me when you resubmitted your physician letter. I went through the exact same thing as you, but I haven't gotten another sent for review call.

I waived my rights to read my LOR, so she submitted it to Nova via email (admissions had said AACOMAS would take too long because they'd have to wait to re-download and such). Admissions had sent me an email that listed my "outstanding requirements" a couple minutes after my phone call. The letter was emailed this Thursday around noon, and by 4:50pm that day I got the voice mail (sadly I had an exam so I missed the call).

Hi all!

On the secondary it asks about " health care-related volunteer activities " would shadowing be under this by any chance?
Thanks!

Hi all!

On the secondary it asks about " health care-related volunteer activities " would shadowing be under this by any chance?
Thanks!

I included it in my answer but typically shadowing doesn't really count as a "community service" so I don't think it counts as a volunteer activity. Lol but I got an interview here so maybe you should follow my wrong example :p

I included it in my answer but typically shadowing doesn't really count as a "community service" so I don't think it counts as a volunteer activity. Lol but I got an interview here so maybe you should follow my wrong example :p

Thanks for the response. Congrats on the II! I think I will add it in, hopefully it works like it did for you haha

Is anyone else interviewing from IS? Got interview offer on 9/16 and headed over there on 10/1 and was just curious if there are going to be any other Floridians. This is my first time posting anywhere, but I always appreciate it when people do this, so: MCAT:32, sGPA3.52, cGPA3.35; geting my master's in biomedical engineering and good (in my opinion) research/volunteering. Can't wait to see everyone else who will be there on the first. This is my first interview and very excited.
Also, I had the same issue with one of my letters not being signed. I had the writer resend and got my interview offer a few days later. I sent everything through interfolio. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users