Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Verified on 5/27. Received and Submitted Secondary! That was the easiest secondary ever.

Reactions: 1 users
On their website, it says that they do not consider January MCAT scores. Are they talking about the new MCAT? Because my best mcat score came from January of this year.
I see a few questions on mine...

Does anyone know if there is a character or word limit on these?

EDIT***** I just tried to move on after answering the questions and it didn't let me due to character count. It has to be 2000 characters or less.
what were the essays?

Reactions: 1 user
what were the essays?
I only saw one that needed a longish response. It was the question that asked how you came to find out about osteopathic medicine. (Not the one that asked you to list ways you have heard of it)

what were the essays?
I don't see any essays in the secondary.

I submitted and their system doesn't let me see full application anymore which is kind of annoying, but as you click "continue" while you check stuff off through the application, you will encounter a window with a few questions: (Not word for word due to not being able to copy and paste from the secondary)

"How did you learn about osteopathic medicine?"
"List any paid employment not including summer jobs, responsibilities, and hours per week"
"List and briefly describe your health care related volunteer activities since high school."

Obviously the only one I answered in paragraph format was the first one. So maybe they aren't "essays" but that's how I interpreted it.

I only saw one that needed a longish response. It was the question that asked how you came to find out about osteopathic medicine. (Not the one that asked you to list ways you have heard of it)
Yeah I didn't think I saw any questions that I would classify as "essays". Just the one you mentioned and then two asking for resume formatted answers.

I submitted and their system doesn't let me see full application anymore which is kind of annoying, but as you click "continue" while you check stuff off through the application, you will encounter a window with a few questions: (Not word for word due to not being able to copy and paste from the secondary)

"List any paid employment not including summer jobs, responsibilities, and hours per week"
"List and briefly describe your health care related volunteer activities since high school."

Obviously the only one I answered in paragraph format was the first one. So maybe they aren't "essays" but that's how I interpreted it.
Okay, phew... I thought I had an application different from everyone else or something ha

Members don't see this ad :)
So is there anywhere that shows our status as far as "letters received" or anything like that? I don't see where it has the letters requirements. I think from their website I remember it being one from a DO/MD and 2 science and 1 non-science if you don't have a committee letter.

For admission requirements, it says "Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) with scores no more than three years old prior to the date of matriculation (entering medical school). For example, applicants wanting to matriculate in August 2016, must have taken the MCAT no later than August 2013."
Shouldn't it be "later than August 2013" at the end??? I hope I'm not misinterpreting because I took my MCAT in 2014.

Sounds like an awesome school, except I do not have non science LOR :(
Did not realize they require one while submitting my primary.

For "list and briefly describe your health care related volunteer activities since high school", are we supposed to re-list the ones from AACOMAS or additional ones?

So I volunteer in the Hispanic community and work as an ESL tutor for a school that helps hispanic immigrants learn english for jobs or to complete the English proficiency test. It doesn't involve medical work but I have learned several issues between them and the healthcare system and have learned about some of the leading medical problems within this community. Could I link that to healthcare related volunteer activities? If not I've only got shadowing experiences.

Are they asking for multiple paragraphs? Seems like this is kind of a 3-5 sentence answer... no?

They take their letters via interfolio, so if you have a professor that might remember you, just ask them to write one for you.

Are they asking for multiple paragraphs? Seems like this is kind of a 3-5 sentence answer... no?
I was doing 1-2 paragraphs just in case.

I would call them.
I feel like if you had a third letter (another science, volunteer coordinator, employer) they might be willing to take that.

Is there like...not a character limit to these responses? lol

What do they mean by healthcare related volunteer activities? Does shadowing count towards that? Or any kind of volunteer work that can be associated with healthcare?

^I'm wondering this as well. Also would an academic advisor count as a non science letter? It is technically faculty and definitely non-science. Maybe I'm grasping for straws. I haven't taken a non-science class since freshman year.

I wrote two sentences lol.

So I should probably give them a call to confirm if they've received my application?
If AACOMAS says it has been verified for NSU then they most likely received it. But it doesnt hurt to call and check

So for the question "have you ever applied to NSU before" are they speaking strictly of the med school or any program? Because I applied for the undergrad when I graduated highschool

For the "List and briefly describe your significant health care-related volunteer activities since graduation from high school" point, did you guys write the same descriptions that you had in your primary? I don't plan on writing it verbatim, but obviously the descriptions won't change. I feel like its redundant to do so, but idk what else I would write.

For the "List and briefly describe your significant health care-related volunteer activities since graduation from high school" point, did you guys write the same descriptions that you had in your primary? I don't plan on writing it verbatim, but obviously the descriptions won't change. I feel like its redundant to do so, but idk what else I would write.

Good question- wondering the same thing

I'm also thinking... Isn't it a little unnecessary since they have this stuff in the primary already already...

Yep, so many schools do stuff like though, I'm not sure of the logic haha

So for the question "have you ever applied to NSU before" are they speaking strictly of the med school or any program? Because I applied for the undergrad when I graduated highschool

I would say it's probably any program that Nova offers. Chances are they just want to know if you are already in their system. This is what we do at the admission's office I work in.

Just submitted! I'm assuming as long as our LORs are submitted to AACOMAS that they'll already have them or access them?

For "list and briefly describe your health care related volunteer activities since high school", are we supposed to re-list the ones from AACOMAS or additional ones?
also are you guys listing dates for when you voluneteered?

Secondary submitted, wow that was so much simpler than the others I have completed so far!

Reactions: 4 users
May I ask you a question? I tried to send an email to their admission office to ask a question but my email was returned. I sent to their email address list on CIB book, [email protected].

It looks like the only way to contact them is to go to this website and fill in the form. http://www.nova.edu/contactus/index.html then submit.

Do you know any email address which can reach to admission office directly? So far, I think this is the only DO school which does not have a direct email address or phone number to its admission office.

I did not see an answer to this question. This came from last year's secondary request, "Please feel free to contact the Health Professions Division (HPD) Office of Admissions at 1-877-640-0218, or email at [email protected], if you have any questions."

It scared me at first that they had a call center for things like this but I called the number to get a few answers and they really helped me. Now I am starting there August 3.

I also wrote 2 paragraphs.

I only wrote about a paragraph for the first question. My longest response was the employment one just because of the description. I don't really know if the answers should be nice long essays or if 1 paragraph will suffice. :shrug:

I only wrote about a paragraph for the first question. My longest response was the employment one just because of the description. I don't really know if the answers should be nice long essays or if 1 paragraph will suffice. :shrug:

I wrote just enough to fit the space they gave me. It wasn't too long. Just two short paragraphs.

So, is anyone having issue with the payment option?

I don't even see a box verifying my credit card information. They don't even have the pay later option. Is there something wrong with my computer? I have Google Chrome.

How are you guys writing multiple paragraphs on "How did you learn about osteopathic medicine?" Seems like a two sentence answer at most, unless you are discussing other things the question doesn't ask.

How are you guys writing multiple paragraphs on "How did you learn about osteopathic medicine?" Seems like a two sentence answer at most, unless you are discussing other things the question doesn't ask.
Thats what I am saying. My answer was a bit less than 400 characters. I dont want to write unnecessary things and have them yawn, but I dont want to look like I didnt put any effort into my answers either.