Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did she say it casually

Like "your file is now complete"

Or with a malevolent undertone

Like "your file..... is now complete.. you may pass now"

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!! I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!! OMG CONGRATS EVERYONE

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! I totally thought that email was going to be a newsletter but I'm super glad it wasn't. What a pleasant surprise lol.

Interviewed 1/19 OOS

Accepted :joyful:Soo excited and thankful

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Accepted! Interviewed 1/19. OOS

Accepted! Interviewed 1/12. Congratulations everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
does anyone have a link to the 2020 class page?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone!

Could you guys mind sharing how many people were there on each interview day?

Congrats everyone!

Could you guys mind sharing how many people were there on each interview day?
I am not sure of the exact number, or whether it is the same number of students per day, but I believe on my interview day there were about 25 students.

I am not sure of the exact number, or whether it is the same number of students per day, but I believe on my interview day there were about 25 students.
hmmm... so that's about 1000 interviews this cycle, with 2 interview dates each week for 5 months.

hmmm... so that's about 1000 interviews this cycle, with 2 interview dates each week for 5 months.
When I interviewed on 1/12 they mentioned it was the first interview they had done since early/middle November

When I interviewed on 1/12 they mentioned it was the first interview they had done since early/middle November
Is that so??? good then I have more chances here. lol interview on 2/11. Pretty calm, but somewhat nervous cuz I really want this school.

Is that so??? good then I have more chances here. lol interview on 2/11. Pretty calm, but somewhat nervous cuz I really want this school.
You got this! They have been very selective in there applications pulling for interviews they've said so if you have one you have a good shot at getting in

Reactions: 1 user
In my interview, I recall them saying they were only planning on interviewing ~400 students this cycle. Keep your hopes up!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed 1/28 and I got an email on the 30th saying they received my code of conduct ... Is that what everybody is talking about? About the email of documents being received? Anybody else get a similar email from the 1/28 interview day?

I interviewed 1/28 and I got an email on the 30th saying they received my code of conduct ... Is that what everybody is talking about? About the email of documents being received? Anybody else get a similar email from the 1/28 interview day?

I interviewed on 1/12 and also got that same email indicating that they received the signed code of conduct. I got this email about 1 week after my interview. This morning a bunch of us woke up to emails saying that they have received our official transcripts and later this afternoon some acceptances were sent out.

How long after an interview time has been booked do they send you a conformation email ?

How long after an interview time has been booked do they send you a conformation email ?
Had the same problem with the email not coming for days. Called the office and they have the date booked. Just inform the counselor and they will send u an email. Guess there is a delay somehow

I interviewed 1/21 and only received the "We received your Code of Conduct" email on 1/23. Didn't hear anything back today. Did anyone from 1/21 get accepted today?

Congrats to all the new acceptances! Make sure to enjoy your time off/freedom before starting school

Does anyone know how many elective rotations we get for 3rd/4th year? With the exception of the rural rotation.

M3 year has no electives. M4 is all electives minus your two rurals, ER rotation, and audition rotations.

If you want i can PM you the schedule but its pretty much booked all day every day. Only real required attendance things are tuesday mornings for OPP lecture (1 hr), occasional doctoring classes monday afternoon for a few hours, two hours in the morning on friday's and labs in the afternoon for about 2-3 days of the week. The amount of labs vary based on the semester. I am in more lab because we are in gross anatomy, neuroanatomy, OPP and physical diagnosis (whereas last semester we did not have any of the anatomy classes). Lectures are almost all recorded; very rarely are they not, even the ones in the OPP labs, etc. Exams are kinda killer in first year. On average 1 per week but this can go up to 3-4. Like right now I pretty much have exams every week until spring break and then after spring break is every week (sometimes more) until finals which is an exam every day for a week straight. Second year is completely systems based and so you will have exams less often, around monthly. To put things in perspective, we had 26 exams last semester (which includes clinical skills exams and all practicals for the labs).

Grading style is you get a number grade that will go on your transcript which kinda sucks but whatever. Passing the class is usually set at 70%.

Overall atmosphere, I really love this school. I am OOS FWIW and fit in perfectly here. Obviously some people are more competitive than others but I don't think there is really a harsh gunner mentality here. There are ample reviews put on by M2 students as well as M1s that did the MBS program last year.

As far as research, I would say they are definitely not as readily available as at a school with an adjacent associated hospital, but many students do take part in research. This may become better once the research building opens.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! :) If you could PM me a schedule that would be amazing! The thought of living in FL sounds phenomenal, but I'm trying to weigh the options given the high tuition and cost of living.

Does anybody know if Nova gives stethoscopes as gifts to their students? I know some school do but I don't know about nova
Thanks!

Congrats on all of the acceptances! Hopefully I'll be right there with you in a couple of weeks :highfive:

Does anybody know if Nova gives stethoscopes as gifts to their students? I know some school do but I don't know about nova
Thanks!
Unfortunately no. You will have to buy your own cardiology grade stethoscope.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I had a feeling mid winter was a good time to interview
At that point everyone who decided on other schools retracted their acceptances
Thus opening up spots for people who really wanted to go to nova.

This was a really quick turnaround from interview to decision.
Nova is on point this year!

Apologies in advance if this has already been asked. When does Nova's interview season end? Complete since 10/5, IS, LizzyM ~69, MS in biomedical sciences and so far nothing but radio silence

I just got an Interview Invite from here, although Im debating whether I should attend. I have already been accepted to LECOM-B, and paid the deposit, I like the school a lot. I have been waiting on NOVA for a while, but I also see the tuition is like 53k!! which is almost 20,000 dollars more than LECOM-B. Cost of living in NOVA is more expensive than LECOM. Is 100k+ debt worth it? How do I justify the cost, especially if I would be content in doing Primary care.

I just got an Interview Invite from here, although Im debating whether I should attend. I have already been accepted to LECOM-B, and paid the deposit, I like the school a lot. I have been waiting on NOVA for a while, but I also see the tuition is like 53k!! which is almost 20,000 dollars more than LECOM-B. Cost of living in NOVA is more expensive than LECOM. Is 100k+ debt worth it? How do I justify the cost, especially if I would be content in doing Primary care.
Hm it's a hard question if you are looking to go into primary care. I feel like we've been in multiple of the same situations and overall I choose to attend Nova. This school offers a ton for students. Although yes I agree LECOM is a good school too, with the merge I want to be as well rounded as possible. Out of all the places I've interviewed at and sat down to think about, Nova is the one that made me the most excited. I think if you have the funds you should definitely check it out :)

Depends on if you think you'll have 100k worth of a better experience. Some say attend the cheapest school you'll be happy at. I say if you'll be happy at LECOM b, then save your time and money.

Congratz on the II. I am waitlisted from LECOM-B so maybe if you choose NOVA, i might grab the spot. But in all seriousness, this is a tough decision that I was kinda hoping to see myself in. This is kinda my pro/con list for both and maybe it can help a little. it's pretty subjective, I might add.

PRO - LECOM

Very low tuition which is a huge positive
Independence for rotations ( could go both ways but for me it's a plus )
Board Scores
PBL ( for me personally )
Match
Pretty established

CON - LECOM
The school seems unwelcoming. Idk how important that is for you. Very cold-feeling.
Administration is kinda up in the air about rotations. I asked MSII's who were there and they said they don't know how rotations are going to be assigned really for our incoming classes since they are kinda switching policies.
Everyone loves Bradenton, I think it ****ing sucks personally. It's clean but there's nothing to do. Beaches are nice but I've grown up on beaches my whole life so it's boring to me if there are no waves. I have a friend who lives on Lakewood Ranch Blvd and he said all there is to do is go shooting and that's about it.
No research really

PRO - NOVA
Great school, established.
Undergraduate campus as well so there is more life to it.
Rotations are set in stone for you so less worrying on your part.
Students match well and not all in Primary Care
Board scores are great
Attire is scrubs with coat - kinda cool imo
Hospitals associated with school (I think)

CON - NOVA
I don't know there curriculum but I THINK its mandatory attendance ( think lecture style )
Extra tuition money. I think ~$80,000 in the long run
I think the area sucks dick. I heard it's not the best but you're still in Ft. Lauderdale which is kind of a party town
Mandatory rotations means less elective time for you in case you decide you don't want to pursue Primary Care

Things I Think Shouldn't Matter
Dress Code / Administration 'Feel' - honestly who gives a ****. you are in med school. Your success depends on intrinsic values anyway, not this petty ****.
Tuition - yeah it's gonna add up but there are thousands of Docs before you who handled it and there are thousands after that will as well)

Things I Think Should Matter
Rotations. For LECOM, if you want to pursue something non-primary care, you're gonna have to get after it. And you are going to have to compete with others for it. For NOVA, it's kinda set in for you so less on you.
Curriculum. This is super important. A good COMLEX / STEP 1 will do more than you realize. Pick the curriculum that will allow you to fit in BEST and excel as well as give you adequate STEP 1 study material/time.
Happiness. Where do you see yourself fitting in more, and happier with the atmosphere.

What I Would Pick For Me
I think LECOM B > NOVA for me. Rotations isn't much of an issue IF I can set up my own. I like the cold, strict feel of the school. Great scores. Location is closer to home. And i think PBL is very interesting. I'm much more independently driven.

Ask yourself these questions. And give me a LECOM B spot ;)
I kid, Good luck with your decision!

100k is pennies on the dollar in respects to happiness and career satisfaction.
Plus nova offers massive scholarships of you do well and apply for then money is not an issue

100k is pennies on the dollar in respects to happiness and career satisfaction.
Plus nova offers massive scholarships of you do well and apply for then money is not an issue

If the difference was 20k total rather than 100k, I'd agree. But 100k is a huge difference when 'happiness' could be negligible between the two schools. I say the area should weigh into your decision, and do a lot of research on what school will give you the best shot to match into what your interested in. If its primary care or something not too hard to match into, LECOM B won't change your career. Heck, I'd argue if your into PBL LECOM B might put you in a better position to do well than NSU.

I am not sure where anktheonc is getting that info from. Some of the classes, for what I understood during interview day, are mandatory. Some are not. And the area definitely does not suck. it is actually very nice, and it has a LOT of restaurants, bars, groceries around. The area in fact is a big positive about Nova, I would not say its con. I recommend going to the interview and checking it out yourself. Everyone has different opinions and different goals, so my recommendation to you is at least go to the II and check it out. Then if you get accepted you can think of whether or not you should go to Lecom or Nova. Good luck!

Also, you have selective rotations your 4th year. You also have 2 month rural rotations which in my opinion is a great opportunity that is not offered at every school.

U guys worried about loans?
Simple hit a nihs approved area to work in.
For example Kings county will pay back up to thousands of dollars of your loans over 6 years if you work there during that time. We're talking up to 300,000$ dollars.
This is not including your salary that you get.

Loans are of my least concern.
Pick somewhere where you are going to be happy going and satisfied with. Ultimately your mind state does affect your grades.

I wanted to clear a couple things from your post
Attire is scrubs with coat - kinda cool imo
From what I understand, dress code is either scrubs (no white coat) or business professional with white coat

I don't know there curriculum but I THINK its mandatory attendance ( think lecture style )
No mandatory attendance for basic science courses (like Anatomy, Histo, Physio etc.) Mandatory attendance for OMM lecture and Principles of Clinical Medicine lecture. Also Mandatory attendance for Labs (except histo and neuroanatomy)

Mandatory rotations means less elective time for you in case you decide you don't want to pursue Primary Care
No 3rd year electives. Mandatory 2 month rural rotation in 4th year which may or may not fall during Audition rotation months (its random).

Another major pro I would add for Nova is the Research. There already are a few NIH grant programs active at NSU and with the opening of the new Center for Collaborative Research this spring, research opportunities would most likely increase

Finally, check out this very detailed review of NSU that a current 3rd year student wrote @NekoBeats http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pros-and-cons-of-your-do-school.407104/page-28#post-17024600

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys, I appreciate all these responses. I am still debating. I feel like both LECOM-B and NSU have great match list. A lot of people do match into Anesthesiology, which is something I might also be interested in doing. As of Now, I would like to Family medicine, or OBGYN, or Internal medicine. I hear from a lot of doctors, that in the grand scheme of things, Board scores, are what matter the most, and LECOM-B does in fact have the highest board scores in the nation, their average was like 572, which is amazing. I do feel like NSU has a better rep on SDN (from all the threads I have been readings, it is established, good rotations.) But I dont really see a lot of cons for LECOM-B, yes the rotations might not be all organized, I actually like the flexbility. I am from New York, and it would be nice to rotate up North, if I chose to, and get tired of Florida. With NSU, I dont get that option. Also, I like the flexibility 4th year of LECOM-B a lot of electives, I can do. I dont mind scheduling it myself. NSU, does have a greater sense of community, better facilities, but does that stuff really matter in the grand scheme of things?? I feel like both will get me where I want. Also, I come from a poor family, although I have no undergrad debt due to scholarships, LECOM-B would cost me 130k vs 212k (NSU), and thats just tuition. Cost of Living is also expensive in NSU, so factor that in, I am looking at a solid 80-90k COA for NSU, and LECOM B around 50-55k. Thats like 300k vs 200k, and with interest, almost like 120-140k debt.. that is not pennies, thats a lot! Thats a cost of a house in some places. My parents are saying stick with LECOM-B. But NSU, does have a lot going for it. Im so confused, I thought I was done.

You're also not adding in that nova offers scholarships worth 120k+ a piece and lecom-b offers nothing in that sort.

If you are concerned at rotating up north or even going back.
I recommend you look into NYITCOM.
Very high board scores, excellent match rating in speciality zones, and far easier to get into than nova or lecom B
They actually prefer locals.

But you also have to look at student satisfaction rating 10 years post graduation.
Nsu destroys them.

Then let's look at these factors

Nsu has a new multi million dollar research housing where you could potentially pioneer your own genre of study

Nova will have an on campus teaching hospital in addition to direct royalties to a second teaching hospital.
(No other school mentioned before offers this)

Want to match into anesthesiology
Well at nova you might just have that option without even leaving campus!

Woohoo! Just received my acceptance! :clap:

Reactions: 6 users