Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're also not adding in that nova offers scholarships worth 120k+ a piece and lecom-b offers nothing in that sort.
As this is correct, from what I have been told the scholarships are very competitive and one should not bank on getting the last two years paid for. This is not to say OP can not obtain these scholarships as I am sure he will be qualified when the time comes, but no one should plan on getting these when it comes to budget planning.

Members don't see this ad.

Man, am I the only one who's been wait listed? Ha-ha

Can an M1 PM me their schedule? I just want to get a feel for how the classes are set up M-F

Members don't see this ad :)
As this is correct, from what I have been told the scholarships are very competitive and one should not bank on getting the last two years paid for. This is not to say OP can not obtain these scholarships as I am sure he will be qualified when the time comes, but no one should plan on getting these when it comes to budget planning.

What do u mean?
They never had these scholarships before the scholarships just arose with the opening of the research facility.

2 years of part time research or 1 year of full time research pays for 2 years of your medical schooling.

All you need to qualify is a single publication and a B average.

There's also tons of scholarships offered at novas allied hospitals via externships.

Reactions: 1 user
Where did you find this information regarding the research scholarships?

I was informed of them during my interview.
It was one of the questions i asked my interviewer about specifically.

Reactions: 1 users
Also, my google skills are failing me....does anyone have a sample of the academic calendar for MS1 and MS2? I'm just wondering about the "summer semester"...is it like a quarter semester system?

II! Was complete since July....have an acceptance at KCU but I'm excited to see what NSU offers. I really like the clinical education and research offered here.

Any tips for the interview day? What sort of vibe or feel was it?
Why are you interested in KCU over NSU? Legit question. Regional preference?

Also, my google skills are failing me....does anyone have a sample of the academic calendar for MS1 and MS2? I'm just wondering about the "summer semester"...is it like a quarter semester system?
m1 year is somewhat similar to undergrad. Courses start in August and go to December with a weekend off for thanksgiving. Winter semester goes from Jan to mid May with a week off for spring break. Then there is a one month semester in July where you take three classes and then begins your M2 year in August. m1 is all basic courses. M2 is all systems based courses.

Reactions: 2 users
II! Was complete since July....have an acceptance at KCU but I'm excited to see what NSU offers. I really like the clinical education and research offered here.

Any tips for the interview day? What sort of vibe or feel was it?
Was a great interview day. They really take the time to show you the university and what they have to offer. Everything from the admissions faculty to the dean to the food (yes food ;)) impressed me so much. One of the many reasons I chose this medical school.

Idk if this was answered before but can't seem to find this information on the website. Does NOVA accept mainly ISS or is it fairly receptive to OSS esp this late in the cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk if this was answered before but can't seem to find this information on the website. Does NOVA accept mainly ISS or is it fairly receptive to OSS esp this late in the cycle.
I'm not sure what the preference is for at this point in the cycle if there's any change at all, but I do know past classes are about 50/50 on IS and OS students.

I'm not sure what the preference is for at this point in the cycle if there's any change at all, but I do know past classes are about 50/50 on IS and OS students.
oh okay thanks hopefully it's still like that for my case. Its been zero contact since I was complete in October.

m1 year is somewhat similar to undergrad. Courses start in August and go to December with a weekend off for thanksgiving. Winter semester goes from Jan to mid May with a week off for spring break. Then there is a one month semester in July where you take three classes and then begins your M2 year in August. m1 is all basic courses. M2 is all systems based courses.
Cool that makes more sense!

Does anyone have info on the pre-clinical years fellowships/shadowing that I sort of scanned in the previous pages?

If any of you received an II email and then signed up for a spot, but didn't receive an follow-up email with the II details, call them and they will resend that email to you.

Cool that makes more sense!

Does anyone have info on the pre-clinical years fellowships/shadowing that I sort of scanned in the previous pages?
So yu basically do 4x 3 hour long shadowing sessions usually in a primary care setting (FM, IM, OMM) and one elective session (can be like ER, GI, etc) mostly shadowing and occasionally taking some histories on patients if you want. There is also an OMM fellowship that happens between second and third year that is an option

Hello all!

I've been complete since September and have not heard anything or seen any updates on my portal page. Is that normal? Any suggestions? Really hoping for an interview.

Reactions: 3 users
This.
Hello all!

I've been complete since September and have not heard anything or seen any updates on my portal page. Is that normal? Any suggestions? Really hoping for an interview.

I know it's still early, but when should we expect information about vaccinations, start dates and such? I'm going to be travelling out of country for a few months, so I want to plan ahead if possible.

I know it's still early, but when should we expect information about vaccinations, start dates and such? I'm going to be travelling out of country for a few months, so I want to plan ahead if possible.
Looking back at my email, The first email I received about that stuff was May 21.

It's extremely important that you get your immunizations done in time. I think we had some people that were forced to defer because they didn't have theirs done by due date.

Looking back at my email, The first email I received about that stuff was May 21.

It's extremely important that you get your immunizations done in time. I think we had some people that were forced to defer because they didn't have theirs done by due date.
Please listen to this person. I was one of the many that was forced to defer. The new administration will not give you ANY slack on this. They put a lot of people in very tough situations so close to starting school last year and could care less about it. Know who you are dealing with and do every single thing the administration says (even if upperclassmen say its not necessary). If needed, they will kick you out of your spot for any small reason!

I don't mean to bash Nova, I still love the school. Just need to warn the incoming students before its too late for them.
Note: If you couldn't tell, I am still a little salty about this situation lol

Please listen to this person. I was one of the many that was forced to defer. The new administration will not give you ANY slack on this. They put a lot of people in very tough situations so close to starting school last year and could care less about it. Know who you are dealing with and do every single thing the administration says (even if upperclassmen say its not necessary). If needed, they will kick you out of your spot for any small reason!

I don't mean to bash Nova, I still love the school. Just need to warn the incoming students before its too late for them.
Note: If you couldn't tell, I am still a little salty about this situation lol

Agreed here. A few of my friends were very close in needing to defer. It takes longer than you think to deal with all the paperwork, getting the physical, PPDs, lab titers, etc etc.

Agreed here. A few of my friends were very close in needing to defer. It takes longer than you think to deal with all the paperwork, getting the physical, PPDs, lab titers, etc etc.
I just recently had a bunch of Titers completed in September and am now getting the Hep B series done because eventhough I had the vaccines when I was little the Titers said I wasn't immune. Then even more recently I had a two step PPD completed with a physical because I prepared for another school before I got the Nova interview. You think Nova will accept all this past work I've done?

I just recently had a bunch of Titers completed in September and am now getting the Hep B series done because eventhough I had the vaccines when I was little the Titers said I wasn't immune. Then even more recently I had a two step PPD completed with a physical because I prepared for another school before I got the Nova interview. You think Nova will accept all this past work I've done?
Should be ok. You will need to provide documentation for all tests so make sure you have them. You will also need to send a form that will be sent to you to your doctor for them to fill out and have them sent it back to you.

Should be ok. You will need to provide documentation for all tests so make sure you have them. You will also need to send a form that will be sent to you to your doctor for them to fill out and have them sent it back to you.
Saved them all :) and that should be no problem. Thank you!

I apologize if this was already asked, but how long after selecting an interview date did you guys receive a confirmation email? I schedule mine last week and haven't received anything.

I apologize if this was already asked, but how long after selecting an interview date did you guys receive a confirmation email? I schedule mine last week and haven't received anything.
Just curious, what was the earliest date they said was available?

Just curious, what was the earliest date they said was available?
I don't remember the exact date but I know there was one in feb, then the first Tuesday as thrusday of March

After careful consideration, I declined my interview spot at NOVA, I cannot justify the 20-25k difference a year in comparison to LECOM-B, hopefully someone who really wants to attend gets this spot. Good Luck to all of you, and I am sure NOVA is a great school, but just not for me. Have fun, and Thanks for all your help!

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know if the class is full/if they are giving out many more II? I still have not heard back from Nova, and I am about to put my deposit down elsewhere. This was my #1 choice, but I guess they didn't feel the same lol. I've been complete since November, so it seems like a long time now with complete silence.

Has anybody post interview sent thank you notes and not get a reply? (This does not include the dean) just thank you notes to interviewers (faculty)

Has anybody post interview sent thank you notes and not get a reply? (This does not include the dean) just thank you notes to interviewers (faculty)
One of my interviewers replied, the other didn't. Interviewers at other schools I interviewed at did not reply.

I sent some Thank You's for my recent interview. Two of them got back to me about 1 week later.

Does anyone know if the class is full/if they are giving out many more II? I still have not heard back from Nova, and I am about to put my deposit down elsewhere. This was my #1 choice, but I guess they didn't feel the same lol. I've been complete since November, so it seems like a long time now with complete silence.
I was told last week the class is not full when I got my II. I hadn't heard a peep from first week of July! I already put down a deposit elsewhere but am attending the day nevertheless.

Currently about 170 people are accepted maybe a bit more.
It was about half full when I interviewed

I had one interviewer, and she never replied my thank you letter. It really doesn't mean anything at all. So if that happened to you, do not worry about it.

the direct plus gives 47,000k a year?

Last edited:
Can any current student tell me the financial aid that nsu secures for its students in respects to it broken down by Stafford and direct plus?

They didn't go over this too well in the interview.
But I'm assuming the Stafford gives a max of 48,000 a year
And the direct plus gives 47,000k a year?
Yeah that's correct.
Direct plus loan also looks at your credit history, I believe. If you don't have history, I think they need a cosigner or 2.
Disclaimer: Not a current student

Do any current students know when the financial aid package is awarded/given out for NSU? I'd suspect sometime mid Aug, which is just when the gov't disburses loan money.
PSA: This also means that for anyone taking out loans, you'll need some savings for July and beginning of Aug until that award hits your bank account, FYI.

We're good to go!

Last edited:
I just saw in group that we get a cumulative of 114k a year between the stafford and direct plus loans a year.

We're good to go!
I thought you can only take up to the CoA, which if I remember was around 95k?

Direct plus stayed the same

Last edited:
Hey guys, congrats on all the interviews and acceptances. I graduated from Nova last May and I'm a pediatrics intern at the moment. Just wanted to drop in for any questions about 3rd and 4th year or whatever else. Basic info: I'm from out of state, I lived in the Rolling Hills dorm for first and second year (and didn't have a car :p), was at my first choice for core rotations and did none of my elective rotations in Florida.

Do post-interview decisions come out on Wednesdays? It looks like the last big group to be accepted was last Wednesday, and in an effort to grasp at things to look forward to, do we think tomorrow will carry with it some closure for late January interview dates?

If any of you received an II email and then signed up for a spot, but didn't receive an follow-up email with the II details, call them and they will resend that email to you.

Do you need the email? When I called about not receiving it they said that my date is confirmed in their system and not to worry about anything. I went to the links in the original email with the schedule, parking, map, and hotel info. Is there more details in the email??

Do you need the email? When I called about not receiving it they said that my date is confirmed in their system and not to worry about anything. I went to the links in the original email with the schedule, parking, map, and hotel info. Is there more details in the email??
No, nothing otherwise important is mentioned in the email. I just wanted to make sure though that I wasn't missing any important info. I have major FOMO. Haha :D

Just paid the deposit! Such a great feeling to officially and finally commit to a place. SO excited to start here! I feel like a little kid on Christmas:zip:

Reactions: 8 users