Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed today and they told us several times they are interviewing only 400 people.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello future classmates :)
#NSUCOMClassof2020

Reactions: 4 users
did anyone else just get an acceptance email about 30 minutes ago ? I interviewed last week.

Reactions: 5 users
spoiler alert* the video says "congrats you're accepted"

Reactions: 3 users
spoiler alert* the video says "congrats you're accepted"

Haha, true...I guess I misheard and thought she said "probably" or something. I shall delete my prior message to save me from future embarrassment haha. Well congratulations to you!

Good lord, after two application cycles, it feels damn good to have my first acceptance! DAMN GOOD.
I interviewed 1/21 by the way!

Reactions: 11 users
Accepted! I can't believe it yayyyy I was expecting to hear back in March and I heard back today!
Interviewed 1/28! :highfive:

It might be a bit early to ask this but does anybody know when NOVA has the Second Look?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello future classmates :)
#NSUCOMClassof2020

did anyone else just get an acceptance email about 30 minutes ago ? I interviewed last week.

Accepted! I can't believe it yayyyy I was expecting to hear back in March and I heard back today!
Interviewed 1/28! :highfive:
Good lord, after two application cycles, it feels damn good to have my first acceptance! DAMN GOOD.
I interviewed 1/21 by the way!

Congrats everyone!!! Can't wait to meet you all :) there's a Facebook group for the class of 2020 on Facebook if you're interested!!

Can anyone speak to how much support the spouses/significant others get at NSU-COM? Is there some kind of support group or anything? If so, do they seem to be a pretty tight-knit group?

Thanks!

Can anyone speak to how much support the spouses/significant others get at NSU-COM? Is there some kind of support group or anything? If so, do they seem to be a pretty tight-knit group?

Thanks!
I think this question could be better answered by the school

Question:

I already put down my deposit and sent in the matriculation papers. In the acceptance letter Maricela gave us all it was needed for me to turn in my official transcripts from my undergrad institution (as all of us probably had to do). I sent the official transcript out very soon after my acceptance but am worried they will not get to Nova by the date that the decision of the seat acceptance is due. Does this even matter if the transcript is not there before the seat acceptance date or is just the matriculation papers and deposit due on this date? I'll call tomorrow once they open but just wanted to see if anyone else maybe had an answer. I'm becoming irrationally worried haha.

Question:

I already put down my deposit and sent in the matriculation papers. In the acceptance letter Maricela gave us all it was needed for me to turn in my official transcripts from my undergrad institution (as all of us probably had to do). I sent the official transcript out very soon after my acceptance but am worried they will not get to Nova by the date that the decision of the seat acceptance is due. Does this even matter if the transcript is not there before the seat acceptance date or is just the matriculation papers and deposit due on this date? I'll call tomorrow once they open but just wanted to see if anyone else maybe had an answer. I'm becoming irrationally worried haha.
I think only the payment is due for now. I'm in a master's program right now and they said it was fine if I didn't have my transcript sent in until this summer. But I would call and make sure! They called me to ask about my transcript situation, so if anything, they should reach out to you if they do need it soon.

I think only the payment is due for now. I'm in a master's program right now and they said it was fine if I didn't have my transcript sent in until this summer. But I would call and make sure! They called me to ask about my transcript situation, so if anything, they should reach out to you if they do need it soon.
Called this morning and it's all good! If anyone in the future has the same question the transcript is not due at the time the deposit is it is just due before classes start pretty much

Reactions: 1 user
As this is correct, from what I have been told the scholarships are very competitive and one should not bank on getting the last two years paid for. This is not to say OP can not obtain these scholarships as I am sure he will be qualified when the time comes, but no one should plan on getting these when it comes to budget planning.
EXACTLY.

The same person is on both the NOVA and LECOM-B thread telling everyone NOVA is mounds better because of their scholarship. He seriously thinks everyone is going to get a $120,000 scholarship? I have no doubt it's incredibly competitive, absolutely do not do not do not bank on a very high scholarship if money is a deciding factor for you. If given the opportunity I would definitely interview at both schools and research, independently which works better for you (and not simply listen to someone claiming you'll be able to easily snag a 100k+ scholarship)

Woah Woah now.

Read the first part of my statement I said even at 100k this is pennies on the dollar.

Nova is better then Bradenton simply due to residency placement opportunities.
Bradenton offers no benefit in this category.

But if money is your big issue then please be my guest and compare research scholarships and grants.

If your worried about money go into walsteeet you picked the wrong field.
This is a career manifested for those who's ambitions lie helping others, not striking it rich.

Woah Woah now.

Read the first part of my statement I said even at 100k this is pennies on the dollar.

Nova is better then Bradenton simply due to residency placement opportunities.
Bradenton offers no benefit in this category.

But if money is your big issue then please be my guest and compare research scholarships and grants.

If your worried about money go into walsteeet you picked the wrong field.
This is a career manifested for those who's ambitions lie helping others, not striking it rich.
100k isn't pennies on the dollar for people who actually understand the value of hard work. After working 4 jobs before I started med school so that I would use up less loans, I understand that 100k is actually significant.

I don't need you to tell me who this career is for, considering you're not even in medical school yet. If you work hard at Lecom and have good grades, you'll get great year long rotations, if not, then yeah you'll have to set them up yourself. I'm not saying choose one over the other, I think if you have the shot definitely interview at both.

But don't act like 100k isn't a huge deal. It's not like with that amount of debt the difference is "oh great now I can't get a Lamborghini and have to settle for this Lexus", the difference is actually substantial and that debt will loom over your head for a long time. Maybe focus on *actually* starting in the field yourself before you tell them they're in the wrong field, just for trying to make sound financial decisions about their future.

Reactions: 2 users
You posted this on the Bradenton thread Get out of here with your lying self

100k isn't pennies on the dollar for people who actually understand the value of hard work. After working 4 jobs before I started med school so that I would use up less loans, I understand that 100k is actually significant.

I don't need you to tell me who this career is for, considering you're not even in medical school yet. If you work hard at Lecom and have good grades, you'll get great year long rotations, if not, then yeah you'll have to set them up yourself. I'm not saying choose one over the other, I think if you have the shot definitely interview at both.

But don't act like 100k isn't a huge deal. It's not like with that amount of debt the difference is "oh great now I can't get a Lamborghini and have to settle for this Lexus", the difference is actually substantial and that debt will loom over your head for a long time. Maybe focus on *actually* starting in the field yourself before you tell them they're in the wrong field, just for trying to make sound financial decisions about their future.

Im proud of you for working four jobs.
But whether you have 500,000 in loans or 100,000 in loans.
you pay the same amount back per year via income based loan repayment.
you pay 10% of your discretionary (post taxes) salary.

Im proud of you for working four jobs.
But whether you have 500,000 in loans or 100,000 in loans.
you pay the same amount back per year via income based loan repayment.
you pay 10% of your discretionary (post taxes) salary.
The question is, if you're graduating with the exact same degree, is it really worth an extra $100,000 in debt? People think physicians make bank, but they don't take into consideration you don't make much during residency (when your loan repayment kicks in), and starting off physicians don't make the same as ones who have been in the field long), then there's malpractice insurance, it all really adds up. If you're simply going into primary care, is the 100 k extra debt worth a little more hand holding year 3 and 4? Up to the individual to decide.

Like I said if your worried about money marry a rich spouse.

You're in medicine for the love of the field not the money.

Stop this malarchy talk about money lol

Like I said if your worried about money marry a rich spouse.

You're in medicine for the love of the field not the money.

Stop this malarchy talk about money lol
*You're.

If you managed to not act like a ***** during your interview and actually got in somewhere, then good luck on your journey, truly. With the attitude that "knowing someone" is going to get you into a competitive residency rather than actually achieving a great board score like you claimed on the other thread and that racking up an extra 100k in debt is just "pennies" then you're gonna need some luck in life to actually get by. Again, start medical school first before you tell people what they should go into the field for.

When you can't even pay your rent because you didn't plan ahead financially, I'm sure your "love" will pay for that roof over you head and electricity :D

Proving a point is about portraying a meaningfull message in as few words as possible.

I believe that you have the makings of a novelist in you.
Annnnd you have the Grammer down pat, so I'd day you're on the right path!
Keep up the good work kiddo :D

Proving a point is about portraying a meaningfull message in as few words as possible.

I believe that you have the makings of a novelist in you.
Annnnd you have the Grammer down pat, so I'd day you're on the right path!
Keep up the good work kiddo :D
Hey maybe you could nightlight as a comedian to pay off those extra loans!

Woah Woah woah.

Just cause I got a good head on my shoulders doesn't give you an invitation to ask me to pay off your future loans....

That's all on you muchacha.

Someone get Danny Tanner in here and cue the end-of-episode, heart-to-heart music to fix this mess.

Currently about 170 people are accepted maybe a bit more.
It was about half full when I interviewed

Hey just curious about where you got these numbers from? Did you call in after your interview to ask?

I didn't call but the counselors told us during our interview orientation!

Thanks!

I think there's a group that's made up of classmates' spouses and they get together for activities and stuff especially when exams are looming close by. I'm honestly not sure how tight knit or active they are though.

More shots were fired in the last page than in the last GOP debate... Riveting stuff.

Called this morning and it's all good! If anyone in the future has the same question the transcript is not due at the time the deposit is it is just due before classes start pretty much
The email said that they don't accept transcripts sent from aacomas but that's the only transcript I sent and was told by two different people that it's fine. So if you were one of the people who got the official transcript has been received email, you're fine! By the way, is there anything else that has to be done?? Deposit, the three signed forms and transcript ? Until we get the health forms and background check info that is?

The email said that they don't accept transcripts sent from aacomas but that's the only transcript I sent and was told by two different people that it's fine. So if you were one of the people who got the official transcript has been received email, you're fine! By the way, is there anything else that has to be done?? Deposit, the three signed forms and transcript ? Until we get the health forms and background check info that is?
Nope nothing else at this point in time! I'm getting so antsy I want to start haha...but then again I want to enjoy my time before all our future studying

Nope nothing else at this point in time! I'm getting so antsy I want to start haha...but then again I want to enjoy my time before all our future studying
Okay great thanks! Haha me too!! 6 months feels like so far away, but it'll go by fast!

Just paid my deposit last night. I already have a seat in LECOM-B's class, but I think after interviewing at Nova, this school just felt so right to me. I'm hoping I made the right choice. Can't wait to be a shark!

Reactions: 2 users
Just paid my deposit last night. I already have a seat in LECOM-B's class, but I think after interviewing at Nova, this school just felt so right to me. I'm hoping I made the right choice. Can't wait to be a shark!
I was in same boat as you. Can't wait to meet ya in fall!

anyone recently get any II?

I was there for the 2/11 interview and they said at that time, the class was a little over 2/3 full. They are doing about 6 interview session left.

For anyone that interviewed today February 16th can you message me a copy of the email list (picture off a smartphone is fine) that was given to us after our interviews, checking my backpack at the moment and believe I have misplaced it.

Thanks.

II on Monday!! I also have a deposit down at LECOM-B, but I am really excited to check out NSUCOM and would not be afraid to forfeit the money to go to Nova (IF accepted!)

Reactions: 4 users

I was in same boat as you. Can't wait to meet ya in fall!

I was in the same position as both of you all and ultimately decided on NSU. I haven't re-thought my decision since and am super excited!

I was in the same position as both of you all and ultimately decided on NSU. I haven't re-thought my decision since and am super excited!
Same, I don't have one second thought or regret:) SO excited!

Hey guys, I'm a current M2, soon-to-be M3 starting in July. There are a good number of current students on SDN that'll be around to answer questions throughout the application cycle. My advice for applying to NSU is to submit your app as soon as possible. Earlier app => earlier secondary => earlier interview invite => earlier interview. The interview dates fill up really quick here, so if you get an interview invite, make sure to select a date right away instead of waiting a day or two. As for the interview itself, it's usually 10-15 minutes long with a panel consisting of at least 1 physician. Know your app, prepare good answers, be yourself, etc.

The app cycle is stressful, but we all survived and you'll get through it too. Good luck!

Hi there,

Thanks for your post. I have recently been accepted to NSUCOM, and am very much looking forward to starting medical school in August.

I am wondering if you know about the average USMLE scores, and the resources students have to prepare for boards (COMLEX and USMLE). I hear that 2nd year students finish quite late in the year, and that can be an issue in preparing for boards. Being a 1st year, how do you feel about your preparation for boards, resources, time etc.

Thanks and good luck!

Regards