Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So does this hospital (seems like a small community teaching hospital) have a leg up on other hospitals in the region? I know that one of the big differences between MD and DO education is the quality of rotation sites/education that students receive. I believe that Ohio's DO school has a teaching hospital, thus making it a competitive school with a great clinical curriculum attached with it. How does this new teaching hospital compare with schools that have their own teaching hospitals as well?
How does this new and upcoming hospital compare with a bigger bed hospital but isn't a "teaching" hospital? I'm sure it's hard to compare as well.
I'm just unsure of where and how this new 200-bed teaching hospital compares with other hospitals. I will probably try to apply for a spot to rotate there and maybe apply for PGY-1 positions there, but want to know what the other options and the quality of those options are.

You will get a good education no matter where you go for rotations. They will most likely not have any residencies initially. The DO school will also share this with the MD school in 2018. This is going to be a good thing and just add to making NSU a more prestigious school. They will still keep the other rotation sites they have. I wouldn't worry about the quality of your education. You will get a great education and have options for a good residency in whatever you decide to do. Do well on your boards and lots of doors open. The 4 years fly by so enjoy yourself!

Members don't see this ad.

To be clear it's replacing plantation that already existed. Nova already rotated at plantation I don't think moving it physically on campus will all of the sudden turn NSU into Harvard. It's a nice move though.
So is the plantation hospital already a teaching hospital? Reading the press release, it doesn't seem so. Regardless, having the hospital to be more integrative with the research facility and classified (soon to be) as a teaching hospital right on campus is awesome.
Any unofficial word on whether or not PGH will be another spot to rotate at, specifically for emergency med since PGH will be a standalone ER? That would be cool too, but I wouldn't know anything about the quality there.

You will get a good education no matter where you go for rotations. They will most likely not have any residencies initially. The DO school will also share this with the MD school in 2018. This is going to be a good thing and just add to making NSU a more prestigious school. They will still keep the other rotation sites they have. I wouldn't worry about the quality of your education. You will get a great education and have options for a good residency in whatever you decide to do. Do well on your boards and lots of doors open. The 4 years fly by so enjoy yourself!
Hopefully, the new hospital will set up some affiliated residency programs, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Since you're both osteopathic med students, would you pick to rotate or even apply for a PGY-1 at the new and upcoming PGH or another hospital, which isn't a teaching hospital, but around the same number of beds, such as Westside Regional Medical Center (215 bed)?
I know residency positions are also based on each applicants' location and desired field preferences as well.

So is the plantation hospital already a teaching hospital? Reading the press release, it doesn't seem so. Regardless, having the hospital to be more integrative with the research facility and classified (soon to be) as a teaching hospital right on campus is awesome.
Any unofficial word on whether or not PGH will be another spot to rotate at, specifically for emergency med since PGH will be a standalone ER? That would be cool too, but I wouldn't know anything about the quality there.

Hopefully, the new hospital will set up some affiliated residency programs, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Since you're both osteopathic med students, would you pick to rotate or even apply for a PGY-1 at the new and upcoming PGH or another hospital, which isn't a teaching hospital, but around the same number of beds, such as Westside Regional Medical Center (215 bed)?
I know residency positions are also based on each applicants' location and desired field preferences as well.

I just matched through the ACGME match and I was looking for something specific so I don't know if I would take a residency position there. I guess it depends if they had what I was looking for. I would definitely rotate there though. I did rotations through the Florida hospital system and got the same education as everyone else in my class and who rotated through broward, palmetto, Larkin, largo, etc. Every place will have good and bad rotations. I guess in the end time will tell!

Members don't see this ad :)

They can't find researchers for the research facility so that's a problem. Lots of empty labs. It's a good move but don't get to blinded by it.

I just matched through the ACGME match and I was looking for something specific so I don't know if I would take a residency position there. I guess it depends if they had what I was looking for. I would definitely rotate there though. I did rotations through the Florida hospital system and got the same education as everyone else in my class and who rotated through broward, palmetto, Larkin, largo, etc. Every place will have good and bad rotations. I guess in the end time will tell!
Awesome and congrats! I guess I did ask a loaded and unfair question.
I'll be starting this upcoming fall and am just trying to get a feel for some of the rotation sites since I'm not from the Florida area. Glad to hear that the rotations sound great though!
As for the bad rotations, glad to hear there's opportunities for me to grow, I suppose.

They can't find researchers for the research facility so that's a problem. Lots of empty labs. Yes plantation taught students. It's a good move but don't get to blinded by it.
Any reason(s) as to why they can't find researchers?
Yep, I agree with you hence why I questioned the news. Is this NSUCOM's first teaching hospital?
If you already can't tell, I'm pretty new to this.

Awesome and congrats! I guess I did ask a loaded and unfair question.
I'll be starting this upcoming fall and am just trying to get a feel for some of the rotation sites since I'm not from the Florida area. Glad to hear that the rotations sound great though!
As for the bad rotations, glad to hear there's opportunities for me to grow, I suppose.

Any reason(s) as to why they can't find researchers?
Yep, I agree with you hence why I questioned the news. Is this NSUCOM's first teaching hospital?
If you already can't tell, I'm pretty new to this.

They can't get them because they don't pay very much money. NSUCOM is affiliated with a bunch of teaching hospitals. This is their first one on campus. They had broward health and largo. It's a good move don't get me wrong. Very exciting to see them investing into their program.

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!!!! Complete in August, interviewed March 3, LizzyM 65

I'm so excited :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Unfortunately the school was very vague, but they confirmed that they expect more acceptances to go out this month.

were you able to find out how many more acceptances may be going out?

Members don't see this ad :)
so if you interviewed on the 3rd/10th and didn't get the acceptance email, does that mean you're definitely waitlisted/rejected?

Same, I hope that we still have a shot at an acceptance. I want to know how many spots are available!
Judging by the caliber of interviewees, I hope that everyone from the 31st gets an acceptance.

Accepted! Interviewed 3/3, IS, LizzyM 67.

Now I'm trying to decide whether to go here or LECOM-B....decisions, decisions.

Reactions: 3 users

i originally said that LECOM-B would be better but honestly im choosing NOVA now. I have multiple friends who also got accepted, and with this new hospital, and research, it would be my #1 easily.
congrats! im peanut butter and mad jealous

i originally said that LECOM-B would be better but honestly im choosing NOVA now. I have multiple friends who also got accepted, and with this new hospital, and research, it would be my #1 easily.
congrats! im peanut butter and mad jealous

I was happy to be accepted to LECOM-B in November and put down a deposit there. After interviewing at Nova in January, and accepted in February, I decided Nova was definitely a better fit, despite the much higher cost. I just figured my happiness at Nova is better than being in less debt and semi-miserable at LECOM-B.

Good luck making a decision!

so if you interviewed on the 3rd/10th and didn't get the acceptance email, does that mean you're definitely waitlisted/rejected?
I hope not! I interviewed on 03/10 and felt really good about it. If this doesn't pan out- looks like another application cycle for me! :/

I hope not! I interviewed on 03/10 and felt really good about it. If this doesn't pan out- looks like another application cycle for me! :/
literally exact same position, I feel your pain :/

And as far as classes go, the only mandatory ones are OPP and labs right? All other lectures can be watched from home I would guess

Reactions: 1 users
God this wait is KILLING me. Does anyone suggest emailing? I interviewed March 10th and they said the latest we would hear back is April 18th but I know people from my interview date have found out already. Is an email too desperate or should I just wait until the 18th? :(

And as far as classes go, the only mandatory ones are OPP and labs right? All other lectures can be watched from home I would guess

This is correct if nothing is changed from last year. Will be probably studying in my pajamas all day :heckyeah:

God this wait is KILLING me. Does anyone suggest emailing? I interviewed March 10th and they said the latest we would hear back is April 18th but I know people from my interview date have found out already. Is an email too desperate or should I just wait until the 18th? :(

Maybe you're better off calling? I know it's scary but at least you'll know right away instead of waiting for an email response which may never come.

I emailed a couple days ago. Maricela got back to me, said that i MAY get a decision on or before the 18th. back to square one lol

if you're really trying to get in touch, i recommend giving them a call. other than that, just gotta wait it out. same boat:/

There's also FACR, Humanism, PDX lecture and sometimes professors do take random attendance but that's rare.

I would greatly appreciate advice from current M1/MBS students regarding my situation…

I’ve recently been invited to interview for the MBS program at NSU. I’ve also been accepted to another DO program as a first year med student, located out of the state of Florida (I’m a FL resident). The school where I have been accepted only has one hospital clinical site in FL. Their other clinical sites are located within the State of the school. I would like to know if this jeopardizes my chances of receiving a residency spot in FL due to the lack of exposure and auditioning time during my clinical years.

From my understanding a FL residency spot certainly isn’t an issue for NSU-COM graduates given they’ve earned it. Because of this, I am seriously contemplating whether or not I should become an MBS student and suck up the extra year in lieu of becoming an M1 at the out-of-state school.

So, at the end of the day my questions are:
1. Is my thought process with respect to residency correct and am I thinking this over rationally?
2. Would I have just as good of a shot in securing a FL residency spot regardless of school?
3. Has anyone, or know of anyone, that has given up an acceptance as a first year to go through NSUs MBS program because of this reason?

I was in your same situation last year.
I am from ny.
Got accepted to a ny school but wanted desperately to continue my career in florida.
To do that I knew I needed to go to school in Florida since Florida residencies favor in state students.
So I deferred my acceptance to NY and reapplied again to nova.
I did not do the mbs program I just retook my mcat. Secured a 31 and with that was granted an early interview and subsequently an acceptance.

I recommend doing the mbs program or retaking your mcat if it's under a 29.

I would greatly appreciate advice from current M1/MBS students regarding my situation…

I’ve recently been invited to interview for the MBS program at NSU. I’ve also been accepted to another DO program as a first year med student, located out of the state of Florida (I’m a FL resident). The school where I have been accepted only has one hospital clinical site in FL. Their other clinical sites are located within the State of the school. I would like to know if this jeopardizes my chances of receiving a residency spot in FL due to the lack of exposure and auditioning time during my clinical years.

From my understanding a FL residency spot certainly isn’t an issue for NSU-COM graduates given they’ve earned it. Because of this, I am seriously contemplating whether or not I should become an MBS student and suck up the extra year in lieu of becoming an M1 at the out-of-state school.

1. Is my thought process with respect to residency correct and am I thinking this over rationally?
2. Would I have just as good of a shot in securing a FL residency spot regardless of school?
3. Has anyone, or know of anyone, that has given up an acceptance as a first year to go through NSUs MBS program because of this reason?

If you have a guaranteed acceptance to another DO school, I would go as long as you can see yourself at that school. The MBS program is expensive and there really is no absolute guarantee that you will be accepted to the DO program next year. It COULD be a waste. Maybe not, but why chance it? I cannot really comment on the residency aspect of your question, but from what I understand is if you do well on boards and rotations, you should have no problem getting residency spots where you want them as long as you understand where you are competitive. Getting one in FL should be a non issue.

Any body know if it looks bad to not take classes or have a research job during a gap year?

Any body know if it looks bad to not take classes or have a research job during a gap year?

I'd be doing something. Have a good answer ready for interviews as to why you didn't do either of those things.

I'm about to graduate from Nova. If you have a spot secured at another school you should take it! Dont give up that opportunity for the MBS program, which as someone previously said won't guarentee your acceptance into Med school at NSU. What residency were you looking into in Florida? You can get a residency in Florida without living here. Do your audition rotations here and do well on your boards. Especially if you are going for a primary care field and you express your interest to live here you should have no problems getting a residency here.

Revoking my acceptance here! Got into one of my top choice schools! God is good!!

I fell in love with Nova though so I know anyone who takes my seat will be thrilled.

Thanks for the support everyone and maybe we'll cross paths someday as practicing physicians!

-Not OMS1/MBS student; am an accepted NSUCOM student-

1. I personally think you're over thinking it. Just work hard, study hard, do well, be proactive in showing that you want to practice in FL and you should be fine. Your FL residency may give you an edge as well.
2. Yes, regardless of school, you should be able to apply for FL residency spots.

If you have an acceptance, I'd take that as there's no guarantee that you'll get in after finishing the MBS program. There are also check boxes/questions that ask you if you've been accepted to a medical school in the past. Add on the fact that you'll be a reapplicant and you're facing an uphill battle moreso than if you just go to the DO school you were accepted at and try to fight for a FL spot. Transfers are hard, but not impossible, though I doubt this is a feasible option for you. More of a FYI.
The opportunity cost of waiting 1 year and taking on more debt before you even start med school is pretty high. You lose out on a year's worth of physician money not to add on to any investment losses such as not contributing to a Roth IRA/401k/403b during that year.
If I were in your shoes, I'd fight the uphill battle of coming back to FL from the other DO school than fight an uphill battle of getting into a DO school again, specifically NSUCOM, and then fighting another battle for residency spots in FL. With the latter, you have 2 things to worry about rather than 1.
What's the other DO school btw? Feel free to message me.

Any current students have information on financial aid stuff? I'm trying to find the estimated cost of attendance/etc. so that I can figure out this whole loan business (which is going to be a pain in the a** coming from out of state and planning a huge move!). Thanks - I greatly appreciate it!

For those of you still waiting to hear from Nova/stressing about the interview/possibly facing a rejection - I think 99% of the people on SDN have been/are in similar positions (I know I am at several other schools - they're all looking like rejects.) Keep your heads up & keep chasing the dream my friends!

Reactions: 3 users
We all have a good chance of garnering an acceptance, especially considering the number of applied versus interviewed.

What was it again? Like 12000 to 500?
Close. 11,000 (roughly) to 400(ish). To get an interview alone places those among us into less than 5% of total. To be accepted is less than 3% of applicants.