Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know anything about NY track for rotations? I read somewhere you do the core rotations at both Good Samaritan and Southampton. Don't know if it's true and was just wondering if anyone had extra info.

Members don't see this ad :)
when's the due date for the final enrollment deposit? i'm sure we'll see some movement after that date

It'd be wonderful if someone could answer this. Trying to figure out what to do in terms of job / re-applying and would like some sort of timeline haha.

Reactions: 3 users
It'd be wonderful if someone could answer this. Trying to figure out what to do in terms of job / re-applying and would like some sort of timeline haha.
This would need to be answered by somebody accepted recently I believe anybody accepted before March 1st had until March 15th for the final deposit ... This same group has until July 1st to get the background and immunization a submitted

This would need to be answered by somebody accepted recently I believe anybody accepted before March 1st had until March 15th for the final deposit ... This same group has until July 1st to get the background and immunization a submitted

Gotchya. I would guess it'd be June 1st then for the final deposit for the people accepted after March 1st. Would like a confirmation from someone though.

Gotchya. I would guess it'd be June 1st then for the final deposit for the people accepted after March 1st. Would like a confirmation from someone though.

I think those accepted after the March 15th deadline have two weeks for the full deposit.

I did not interview. I received an email from Nova a while ago saying I wasn't rejected but that they put my application aside to look at at a later date.

Accepted this morning by email at 9:53.

Congratulations!

Has anyone else who interviewed on 4/12 heard back yet? I believe Maricela said we would hear back by today but just checked my mail and haven't received anything.

EDIT: Got the letter in the mail the next day. Waitlisted

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

Has anyone else who interviewed on 4/12 heard back yet? I believe Maricela said we would hear back by today but just checked my mail and haven't received anything.

EDIT: Got the letter in the mail the next day. Waitlisted

A lot of waitlisting going on here lately.

Reactions: 1 user
could anyone provide guidance/a list of apartments near NOVA where medical students typically live? i am looking specifically for a 1 bedroom/ studio apartment. it does not have to be near the school. i am more concerned about affordability.

also, can any of the second year students provide a list of books/ equipment needed for first year? do we need to buy a stethoscope before out first day? when will we be provided with a list of things to buy?

thanks so much for your help in advance.

could anyone provide guidance/a list of apartments near NOVA where medical students typically live? i am looking specifically for a 1 bedroom/ studio apartment. it does not have to be near the school. i am more concerned about affordability.

also, can any of the second year students provide a list of books/ equipment needed for first year? do we need to buy a stethoscope before out first day? when will we be provided with a list of things to buy?

thanks so much for your help in advance.

Most just live around NOVA such as One plantation, Centro, Royal Grand, Rolling Hills, Sunforest and Palm Trace. These places are not cheap though so If you're looking for something affordable, I would suggest you rent from a private landlord. Get in touch with a realtor down there or use Zillow to find some places.

Don't buy any books.

If your curriculum is the same as ours, you won't need a stethoscope (and b.p cuff) the first day but will need one for physical diagnosis which starts the 2nd week I believe. You will however need OPP shorts and shirt the first week of school. If you go to the bookstore after the first day, you can just buy them there but I think they're lenient the first week. They should send out a list approximately one month before school starts that lists all of the supplies you will need for physical diagnosis (opthalmoscope, otoscope, tuning forks and some other small stuff). It's all sold in one pack by a supplier and I think most people just buy that.

And for those of you who currently work in the healthcare field, "borrow" ppe gowns and nitrile gloves (and masks if you want) for anatomy lab. << Major key

Most just live around NOVA such as One plantation, Centro, Royal Grand, Rolling Hills, Sunforest and Palm Trace. These places are not cheap though so If you're looking for something affordable, I would suggest you rent from a private landlord. Get in touch with a realtor down there or use Zillow to find some places.

Don't buy any books.

If your curriculum is the same as ours, you won't need a stethoscope (and b.p cuff) the first day but will need one for physical diagnosis which starts the 2nd week I believe. You will however need OPP shorts and shirt the first week of school. If you go to the bookstore after the first day, you can just buy them there but I think they're lenient the first week. They should send out a list approximately one month before school starts that lists all of the supplies you will need for physical diagnosis (opthalmoscope, otoscope, tuning forks and some other small stuff). It's all sold in one pack by a supplier and I think most people just buy that.

And for those of you who currently work in the healthcare field, "borrow" ppe gowns and nitrile gloves (and masks if you want) for anatomy lab. << Major key

thanks so much!

Best/recommended date to start first months rent? My guess would be July. Since boards are in June, that means you can worry about moving your stuff out after in July for when you start rotations.

Best/recommended date to start first months rent? My guess would be July. Since boards are in June, that means you can worry about moving your stuff out after in July for when you start rotations.
I never thought that ahead myself but I think July is wise. A month is more than enough time to get accustomed.

I never thought that ahead myself but I think July is wise. A month is more than enough time to get accustomed.

so students typically take their boards in July? When is the final day of classes for second day students? also when do rotations start? thanks for your help!

Hey! Long-time lurker, first-time poster (I've always wanted to say that!)

So, it wasn't an easy decision, but I've decided I'm moving to Fort Lauderdale, and I was wondering if you all could help me connect with fellow members of NSUCOM Class of 2020. Is there a Facebook group or something?

Also, I'm coming all the way from way up north, and I don't know anyone, so I was wondering if I should just live on campus. Do students typically bring their cars? Any advice? When should I plan on moving?

And are they sending out info as to how to activate our emails, etc.?

Sorry if this is a ton of questions--if someone could at least point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

:)

Hey! Long-time lurker, first-time poster (I've always wanted to say that!)

So, it wasn't an easy decision, but I've decided I'm moving to Fort Lauderdale, and I was wondering if you all could help me connect with fellow members of NSUCOM Class of 2020. Is there a Facebook group or something?

Also, I'm coming all the way from way up north, and I don't know anyone, so I was wondering if I should just live on campus. Do students typically bring their cars? Any advice? When should I plan on moving?

And are they sending out info as to how to activate our emails, etc.?

Sorry if this is a ton of questions--if someone could at least point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

:)

I would join the class of 2020 Facebook page. Lots of great info on there!

so students typically take their boards in July? When is the final day of classes for second day students? also when do rotations start? thanks for your help!
No, boards are taken from late May to mid or maybe even end of June. This would mean that taking care of moving and stuff would be in July, which is after you're done boards.
Final day would prob be in end of April to mid May I assume. I think they're the average time since all second years at all schools have to take boards.
Rotations would prob start mid July to early Aug. I assume it would depend on the hospital as well. Second years prob don't even know now.

for accepted students, how long do you get to let them know whether or not you'll be matriculating?

for accepted students, how long do you get to let them know whether or not you'll be matriculating?
They'll send you a date you have to pay your deposits by and if you don't pay then they assume you're not interested

Does anyone think it would be okay to e-mail Maricela asking about the waitlist? I understand that they said not to, but honestly I can't figure out why (besides pure laziness / not wanting to deal with us). I'm just craving some sort of info about where on the list I fall.......... The next cycle is open for submission in less than three weeks and I really want to know my chances before I drop hundreds / thousands of dollars on applications again.

Does anyone think it would be okay to e-mail Maricela asking about the waitlist? I understand that they said not to, but honestly I can't figure out why (besides pure laziness / not wanting to deal with us). I'm just craving some sort of info about where on the list I fall.......... The next cycle is open for submission in less than three weeks and I really want to know my chances before I drop hundreds / thousands of dollars on applications again.

Feel the exact same way... I think one of us should contact her. I don't see how it could hurt.

When I was taken off the wait list it was mid-late June. Waiting game sucks but you are still in it for a class spot. We also had a few people drop out mid first week of school to go to other schools. So people are also taken after school starts. Best of luck.

Anyone know if NOVA offers spots for next year's class to people on the WL?
I've read that some schools such as WVSOM and VCOM do this...

Hey guys have a quick question. Admissions is taking a while to respond so I figured maybe you guys know.

I am a non-traditional applicant (Graduated in 2013). I was wondering if NOVA would accept my supervisor LOR as a replacement for the non-science LOR requirement.

Thanks a lot, :)

Hey guys have a quick question. Admissions is taking a while to respond so I figured maybe you guys know.

I am a non-traditional applicant (Graduated in 2013). I was wondering if NOVA would accept my supervisor LOR as a replacement for the non-science LOR requirement.

Thanks a lot, :)
you'll have to call admissions and ask

They'll send you a date you have to pay your deposits by and if you don't pay then they assume you're not interested
how far out is the deposit date from the acceptance offer? I heard like 2 weeks?

Well, I e-mailed Maricela asking about waitlist movement. Hopefully I'll get a response!

I called and left a message a few days back. Still waiting for a response.

Reactions: 1 users
Right now is about that they are prepping for the new application cycle and they aren't going to answer any messages until late July if someone drops and they need a quick replacement.
They usually pick that person based on how close they live to nsu

Right now is about that they are prepping for the new application cycle and they aren't going to answer any messages until late July if someone drops and they need a quick replacement.
They usually pick that person based on how close they live to nsu
where on earth do you get your info? students who have been admitted from the waitlist have repeatedly said that most movement happens in June. secondly, the waitlist was ranked this year. it has nothing to do with where you live.

Reactions: 3 users
where on earth do you get your info? students who have been admitted from the waitlist have repeatedly said that most movement happens in June. secondly, the waitlist was ranked this year. it has nothing to do with where you live.

^This. Although I'm not sure about the ranked part. I thought my WL letter said it was unranked, but I'll double check when I get home today.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

^This. Although I'm not sure about the ranked part. I thought my WL letter said it was unranked, but I'll double check when I get home today.

I can say that I know this on good authority. unfortunately I can't comfortably say any more than that.

The letter said it's unranked, but Maricela said at our interview day that the dean might rank it this year.

Also Tiffany Wong, please stop answering in this thread. All of your responses have been both negative and not grounded in any sort of facts.

Reactions: 5 users