Nova Southeastern University Masters in BioMedical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agill786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Was wondering if anyone is applying to this program this year? I just took my MCAT and I am awaiting results. I have a about a 3.3 ish GPA and I am trying to finish this year strong.

Anyone have any experience as to the difficulty of getting in? How about the actual program itself, is it very difficult to maintain that 3.0 average?

The location is beautiful and I really have heard nice things about the program. I would be truly interested in applying if it really did help me get into Med school (NSU or any other one) after a year.

Any tips would be appreciated. Also, with regards to financing this, did you guys mostly get loans, or is there any type of scholarship available?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping in case anyone has info on it.

Bumping in case anyone has info on it.

I applied to here. Haven't heard a thing and needed to change some stuff on my app and haven't been able to talk to anyone. If you find someone to talk to at that place feel free to mention it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have applied for the program waiting for a interview hope to see you guys there in the fall.

Last edited:
I've applied as well. It was only last week that my application was complete enough to be submitted for review. Have not heard anything else!

I've also applied for this year, and heard it is competitive. The only thing I've heard from Nova is that my application is processed. I'm also curious to know when interviews start and more on the admissions process. Good luck, and lets stay posted

I have also applied. I spoke with the program coordinator personally. Her name is Karen Batcho. She says there focus is not necessarily on test scores, because some individuals do not test well. They want to evaluate your ability to survive the rigors of those M1 courses.

does anyone know if you have done another postbacc at another osteopathic school and performed poorly first semester, does that really kill you chances.
also does anyone know when classes start?

Last edited:
I called yesterday and they said they weren't going to look at the applications til about April 15th.

Hi everyone,
Was wondering if anyone is applying to this program this year? I just took my MCAT and I am awaiting results. I have a about a 3.3 ish GPA and I am trying to finish this year strong.

Anyone have any experience as to the difficulty of getting in? How about the actual program itself, is it very difficult to maintain that 3.0 average?

The location is beautiful and I really have heard nice things about the program. I would be truly interested in applying if it really did help me get into Med school (NSU or any other one) after a year.

Any tips would be appreciated. Also, with regards to financing this, did you guys mostly get loans, or is there any type of scholarship available?

Thanks!

To be honest I am no expert but I haven't heard of any scholarships regarding this program. I know there is financial aid available for many, and student loans. If I learn anything regarding this I will post it =)

Regarding the program: I know personally 2 second year NSU students who attended this MBS program, and are doing fantastic in med school thanks to their first year masters prep. Also I shadowed, and volunteered with 8 of the Nova residents at Mt. Sinai and they seemed to be very well prepared so thats a really good sign =). I wish all of us here at Student Doctor Network the best of luck, and to never give up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
has anyone heard anything yet? I also applied here =). They do take only 17 students total = 5 pharmacy,and 12 medical so it is very competitive. I hope to see you all in the fall.:xf:

what about dental? O_O

what about dental? O_O

Sorry I am not sure how it works =(... It might be they are competing for one 17 spots in general or they might have their own which the lady did not mention. Keep in mind I am a premedical student and did not inquire regarding that field. I am sure there are spots for those interested in pursuing Dental as well i just didn't pay attention. This program seems to be great for anyone interested in advanced science degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
i got an interview!!!!:love: Got the call yesterday!!!!

hey everybody, sorry I have not been on here in a while. Let me answer your questions lol.

1) Dr. Dribin is the MAIN person coordinating the MBS program! With that said, they JUST are having their first round of interviews April 1st (Friday). For the medical tract, it is competitive, but supposedly the whole system is being revamped so a lot of people did not even apply for the program. There are about 18-20 seats and they basically look at POTENTIAL to do well in the classes. They DO have a minimum GPA even though it is not listed anywhere and I do NOT know it. How do I know there is a minimum GPA? Dr. Dribin told me

2) Dental tract is a lot more competitive because this is basically their last shot unlike medical, where they can still go to the islands.

3) If you got an interview, CONGRATS! This program is great. Our first semester, we took Anatomy (6 hours including lab), Biochemistry (6 hours), Physiology (4 hours) and Histology (3 hours including lab). I must say I was surprised at the lack of clinical assessment in the basic sciences in our tests.

The program is not hard at all! The HARD PART is to balance your life. Most of us just study all the time because were so stressed out on trying to get the 80's. I would say that if you got in the program, do not worry about your ablility to pass the classes. They are here to help you and will provide personal tutoring to help you. The only thing is that you have to be putting in the time. The advantage of this program is the extra time that is not spent in various other classes that the M1 students take.

Lastly, Communication SUCKS at NOVA. They will let you know what you need, just be patient. I know its hard, but you really have no choice and you are not missing anything. They will let you know once they get rolling, because they just started looking at APPS this week!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on the interviews. :)
When I called they said that they are not looking at applications until after April 15.....

They told me that last week when I called, and again today 3/28. But congrats on your interview! I guess I will wait and see....

They told me that last week when I called, and again today 3/28. But congrats on your interview! I guess I will wait and see....

Thanks =) this is my 2nd year applying to the MBS so it really means a lot. They are probably just saying that to calm people down,and to not worry them regarding the interview dates. I have heard they interview well into the summer so there is plenty of time for many students to get invites yet.

Hey everybody, tomorrow and Friday are the first rounds of interviews. How do I know? Because they just told us and asked some of us to give a tour. Anyways, just make sure you guys relax and don't get nervous. They are really nice once you get to know them. I have replied to most of your emails but keep sending them if I have more questions. Good Luck!

Thank you HOUBMW, I am trying not to be nervous, thanks for keeping us updated. Hope to get a phone call soon :xf:

Hey everybody, tomorrow and Friday are the first rounds of interviews. How do I know? Because they just told us and asked some of us to give a tour. Anyways, just make sure you guys relax and don't get nervous. They are really nice once you get to know them. I have replied to most of your emails but keep sending them if I have more questions. Good Luck!
I have my interview tomorrow and I am looking forward to seeing the school and hearing from the current students about the program. Is there any other info on the program you can share with me? Maybe I will see you tomorrow!

I got the phone call Friday afternoon around 5:45pm. I got an interview invite!!! So excited & nervous. :xf:

Just curious, is there a particular reason why this school interviews for the post-bac/Masters when other schools just accept you via e-mail?

Are they looking for a "unique" applicant? Am I wrong in my interpretation that this is just for those who want to try and secure a spot at Nova Med?

Last edited:
Hi! My application was completed March 2nd.

ChanceChalky: Hi! My application was completed March 2nd
P.S. sorry for the redundancy!

Just curious, is there a particular reason why this school interviews for the post-bac/Masters when other schools just accept you via e-mail?

Are they looking for a "unique" applicant? Am I wrong in my interpretation that this is just for those who want to try and secure a spot at Nova Med?

Hi! I've been told the program is very competitive. "Only 8 spots for dental", says Dr. Dribin. I'm not sure about medical though.

Hi! I've been told the program is very competitive. "Only 8 spots for dental", says Dr. Dribin. I'm not sure about medical though.

Oh, gotcha! Thanks!

I wonder how competitive dental is though. I was just wondering because typically they just accept people via on-line.

Good luck to all with the flights and interview!

Even though you will not get "official" verifcation on this by their website/contacts, to my knowledge from asking people in the program and reading previous things posted about this program on the board -> they interview you in-person because if you successfully (attain certain marks in each class) complete 1 year of this program you are pretty much guaranteed to matriculate into the professional school that you entered for during the second year of the program (e.g. predents -> nova dental school).

Even though you will not get "official" verifcation on this by their website/contacts, to my knowledge from asking people in the program and reading previous things posted about this program on the board -> they interview you in-person because if you successfully (attain certain marks in each class) complete 1 year of this program you are pretty much guaranteed to matriculate into the professional school that you entered for during the second year of the program (e.g. predents -> nova dental school).

Oh...So I guess this is like a Med School interview kinda?

But other postbac programs/master programs offer the same thing too. From what I gather, that one year is sort of your "interview" in a way and then you formally interview at the Med School.

Good to know this is a genuine program and not a program where they just want your money like TCMC. Good luck guys!

you are all correct:

1) If you have questions ask any of the tour guides...there my classmates and can answer all questions.

2) Even though they DO NOT state this, your seat for the next years class is saved any you just have to get 80's in all of your first 2 semesters.

3) They interview students to make sure they really want to go to medical school and not a MASTER program.

I received a call from Nova today around noon, asking if I could attend an interview tomorrow morning. I'm very excited to have a chance to interview for this program as I was denied acceptance to their DO program after my interview there due to poor scores (24 MCAT).

I'll be sure to post any pertinent information that I might pick up during the day tomorrow.

Woot.

Last edited:
Well, that was fun.

The day was much shorter than my DO interview, but was certainly more enjoyable. There were only 4 other people interviewing for the Medical track, so we got a chance to know one another a little better.

We toured the medical facilities first and then we interviewed. The tour was conducted by 5 current MBS students who gave us a look at the facilities and seemed very knowledgeable of both the MBS and DO programs. I believe that the students were assigned to us as a group so that they could all get a chance to feel us out a bit. We inferred this since after the tour the students left us in the waiting room for some time while they went back to the room where the interviewers were. As a whole they were great and if any of them happen to read this: THANK YOU for your efforts, they did not go unappreciated.

Dr. Dribin came out to chat with us before the individual interviews took place and was quite pleasant. She gave us the basics of the program and explained the interview/admissions process to us. The interview itself consisted of four professors on the panel; Dr. Dribin and 3 others. Mostly they just want to get to know you a bit and figure out if you are going to excel should you be placed in the program. After all, a seat is reserved for you in the next year's Professional Program, though Dr. Dribin and the students both stressed that this only holds if you get your 80% and above in everything and are not a colossal ass-hat to the faculty. They also made it apparent that since the MBS group is much smaller than the Med or Dent group, you are at something of an advantage in that you get more personal time with the faculty and have a chance to get some of your basic sciences out of the way before starting Professional School, so that your first year of Med or Dent will often involve you tutoring some of your fellow classmates as you will have a fair amount of spare time that they will not. As has been previously stated, there are 17-18 seats for Medical and 7-8 for Dental.

Earlier this evening I had a chance run-in with a gal who interviewed for the Dental track. She interviewed later in the day with a different group of students, so the idea is that they separate the Medical and Dental candidates since the program is tailored to your career path.

I hope this helps to clarify things for everyone. Good wishes and good luck to the rest of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody heard anything from the dental side of the program yet?

Has anybody heard anything from the dental side of the program yet?

Nope =( They mentioned something like interviewing everyone and then ranking them mid to late May. Hopefully it is earlier =)

Nope =( They mentioned something like interviewing everyone and then ranking them mid to late May. Hopefully it is earlier =)

Yea thats what they told me as well when I interviewed last week I had my fingers crossed that we might be hearing a little earlier than mid to late May!

Hey! This is my first time using SDN. I have a question. Are you guys talking about the 2 yrs MBS at Nova? I thought it wasn't "connected" in any way with the DO school. Is that true? I just submitted my application last night. Is there really only like 30 spots????

One more question. I can't find any info on how much the program cost. All I found was a flat price of $32,000. Is that for the whole degree? for the semester? year? How expensive are MBS or SMP programs usually?

Hey! This is my first time using SDN. I have a question. Are you guys talking about the 2 yrs MBS at Nova? I thought it wasn't "connected" in any way with the DO school. Is that true? I just submitted my application last night. Is there really only like 30 spots????

Hey Clouds,

I think dna was talking about the medical side but I was talking about the dental aspect of the program but I believe both are connected to professional schools within the University and 30 spots between the two programs sounds about right. As for tuition, I think you got it right with 32,000 and I believe thats per year as well although I don't know how it compares to other programs. Hope this helped a little.

ajhr

One more question. I can't find any info on how much the program cost. All I found was a flat price of $32,000. Is that for the whole degree? for the semester? year? How expensive are MBS or SMP programs usually?

Hello Clouds =),

Yes like Ajhr said I was referring to Medical track MBS but this MBS program serves the same purpose for premedical/Pre-dental students. The tuition is definitely around 32K a year. This is what I found in the MBS catalog available (2009-2010)
Tuition: $29,285
Health fee: $145
Student fee: $750
Lab fee: $100

I hope this can help you. It is a little old but the one they are still showing which makes me think It might not have changed much since then.

Are the dental interviews over for this year?

Are the dental interviews over for this year?

Hey Zeko,

When I interviewed they told us that there would be at least 2 more interview dates approximately 1-2 weeks after the application cycle closed. I don't know if they have scheduled these interviews yet as mine was scheduled last minute. Hope this answers your question.

ajhr