Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently pre-writing secondary so hopefully they do not change too much.

From last year,
1. "How did you learn about osteopathic medicine?"
2. "List any paid employment not including summer jobs, responsibilities, and hours per week
3. "List and briefly describe your health care related volunteer activities since high school."

Hello future Sharks!

I am entering my third year at NSU, please feel free to PM me with questions.

Questions I can't give you a good answer on: If your application will be competitive for NSU, what questions they ask on the interview, when interview invites and/or secondaries will go out
Questions I CAN give you a good answer on: The school itself, the curriculum, the Davie/Fort Lauderdale/South Florida area in general, information about clinical rotations, and why I personally chose to go to Nova

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello future Sharks!

Questions I can't give you a good answer on: If your application will be competitive for NSU, what questions they ask on the interview, when interview invites and/or secondaries will go out
Questions I CAN give you a good answer on: The school itself, the curriculum, the Davie/Fort Lauderdale/South Florida area in general, information about clinical rotations, and why I personally chose to go to Nova

Hey thanks for help. I have a couple questions.

1. I heard a rumor about testing problems on the iPads and several students were pretty unsatisfied. Do you think we will have that problem in the future?
2. The M1/M2 curriculum looks a little excessive. A lot of classes for 2-3 credits compared to other schools. Some of them even look a little weird (Tobacco Use and Dependence (0.5 credits)???). How did you handle this kind of curriculum?

Hey thanks for help. I have a couple questions.

1. I heard a rumor about testing problems on the iPads and several students were pretty unsatisfied. Do you think we will have that problem in the future?
2. The M1/M2 curriculum looks a little excessive. A lot of classes for 2-3 credits compared to other schools. Some of them even look a little weird (Tobacco Use and Dependence (0.5 credits)???). How did you handle this kind of curriculum?
Great questions.

1. The iPad testing issues are resolved, as far as I know. We had an issue last year and went back to paper, but resumed iPad testing this semester and have had no problems. It makes taking the test a lot quicker.
2. The M1 year is definitely a heavy load. Our SGA did some research and found out that we had the most class hours first semester (mandatory and non-mandatory) out of any school...anywhere. After that, it tapers off to normal. I don't see the M2 schedule as excessive. Tobacco Use and Dependence is a one week thing where you attend 4ish hours of lecture (i.e. study quietly for other stuff while in attendance), then spend a day presenting to elementary and middle school kids on tobacco. It's...interesting. The school gets money for it, so it is what it is. It was not placed close to an exam when I was an M1.

Hello future Sharks!

How extensively are you taught OMM? Which year(s)? I had trouble finding it looking through the curriculum. Thanks!

How extensively are you taught OMM? Which year(s)? I had trouble finding it looking through the curriculum. Thanks!
OMT is taught as a class throughout years 1 and 2, as it is everywhere. We have one (occasionally two) hours of lecture and two hours of lab each week, for a total of 3 hours per week. Attendance to all OPP classes is mandatory. The exams and practicals require preparation, but I didn't see it as a particularly difficult subject.

Can anyone explain how one matriculates into the DO/DMD program?

Last edited:
Anybody get an email regarding secondaries?

Admissions site says it opened today.

Does this school favor in state applicants?

Have anyone received a secondary ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow this is crazy. Secondaries supposedly opened June 1st and no-one has received anything :eek:

Wow this is crazy. Secondaries supposedly opened June 1st and no-one has received anything :eek:
I called yesterday and they said that emails will be send out at the end of this week

Reactions: 1 users
Matriculation averages last year were 3.5 / 503
Emphasis on BOTH sGPA and cum GPA being around a 3.5

A higher MCAT warrants a lower GPA to be considered strongly competitive.

Mcat average for last class was 505-506

Roughly a 29 old score

Matriculation averages last year were 3.5 / 503
Emphasis on BOTH sGPA and cum GPA being around a 3.5

A higher MCAT warrants a lower GPA to be considered strongly competitive.

How about the opposite- higher GPA and lower MCAT- is that that still considered strongly competitive?

App received/secondary link email received!

Got mine too.

Is anyone writing an essay for the "How did you find out about osteopathic medicine?" I was looking at last year's thread and there were some who write essays and some who didn't? My answer is initially two sentences, but I'm having trouble thinking if that's too lazy or if I'm sparing the adcoms from reading another essay.

Got mine too.

Is anyone writing an essay for the "How did you find out about osteopathic medicine?" I was looking at last year's thread and there were some who write essays and some who didn't? My answer is initially two sentences, but I'm having trouble thinking if that's too lazy or if I'm sparing the adcoms from reading another essay.
Oh whoops I wrote a whole essay. I think they expect somewhat of an essay because the character limit is 2,000.

I just answered the question. If they wanted an essay they would specifiy

Just submitted. Mine was 500 characters. Figure they won't deny me a II based on that.

For me, going anything over that would feel like bull****ting.

I wonder how many people reply no to the "Interested in primary care ?"question :laugh:

That brave soul would definitely stand out from the applicant pool...

Just submitted. Mine was 500 characters. Figure they won't deny me a II based on that.

For me, going anything over that would feel like bull****ting.
True...but why would the character limit be so high then?
Oh whoops I wrote a whole essay. I think they expect somewhat of an essay because the character limit is 2,000.

:eek:I totally did not see a character count when I did it and only wrote a two (long) sentence answer!!! Do you think that's ok? Can I go back and change my answer?:dead:

Secondary submitted! Good luck everyone!!!

Secondary submitted. Hopefully, the early bird gets the worm this time.

Does anyone have experience with fee waivers for the NSU secondary? Their website seems to infer that they will be automatically processed based on a list that have from AACOMAS, but I'm suspicious...

Got a "complete" phone call from nova!

Got a "complete" phone call from nova!
Did you submit your LOR together with your primary? cuz I did and was wondering if AACOMAS released to the school, ,I got an email from NOVA that they have received my secondary but I don't know if they have the letters

I got a call to talk to me about my application. Left a voicemail but didn't say anything about it being complete. Oh no! D:

(side note - this uni has A LOT of extensions, Lord. Just was rerouted 5 times even with the call back number).

Hey all,

Current M4 here preparing for the residency application process. I'll be around to answer questions about Nova. Some general advice that I always give for the application cycle:
- Get those primary and secondary apps in early
- When you get an interview offer, pick a date ASAP. Don't wait around!
- The interview is usually panel, about 10-15 minutes long. Know your application well, especially any weaknesses

I'll defer to the M1s for application specific questions since it's been a while for me.

I also have a blog that I started M1 year: How About A Second Opinion? It gives you an idea of what it's like to be a student here. Of course, everyone's experience will vary. I also try to add helpful tips and advice for current students.

Another thing that may be useful later on if you're deciding between schools: Pros/cons of Nova

Good luck!

P.S.: Not everyone will receive a complete call, if you don't get one it doesn't mean anything- just make sure your application is actually complete

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users