Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey sorry to hear that but hope you had a nice vacation though! Did you interview and got the letter or just got the letter?

Thank you! And I got a post-secondary pre-interview rejection letter!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So I didn't realize I got my NSU secondary until today... a month after I got the invite. I don't know how I missed it. Would it be late to send it in by this weekend? I know people already have interviews for this school. My stats are 3.44 cGPA and 3.55 sGPA and 510 MCAT if that helps in anyway
Nah I think you are good!

Put it in by this week :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
I held my breath so hard today when I checked my mail. I hope I have survived this rejection wave!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would agree with the group to wait.

If you submitted in June with that mcat score I could see you getting by to a II with a smaller applicant pool but now it's getting to the MD caliber apps coming in and a 28 equivalent will be required

Disagree with you slightly. Most of us who got rejections submitted first thing. I submitted the first day secondaries were available. For anonymity, I have above a 3.6 GPA and MCAT in line with the school.

Disagree with you slightly. Most of us who got rejections submitted first thing. I submitted the first day secondaries were available. For anonymity, I have above a 3.6 GPA and MCAT in line with the school.
Sorry to hear that friend. Had the same thing happen to me for a couple other schools. Its hard to understand the rationale of this admissions cycle sometimes.

Agreed guys. I'm a third time reapplicant and I just want this to be over with. The one thing I learned through this process is that stats cant be compared.

Agreed guys. I'm a third time reapplicant and I just want this to be over with. The one thing I learned through this process is that stats cant be compared.

I agree. I got interviews other places where my GPA was WAY lower than there 10%. There has to be a holistic view besides the numbers at some schools.

"Keep an eye on the mail for a rejection letter from Nova. Thanks mom."

-Me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who have interviewed so far, would you say it's more of a chill or a grill?

For those of you who have interviewed so far, would you say it's more of a chill or a grill?

My interview group had a mixed bag of interview style. Some people (including me) felt it was more of a relaxed interview (20 minutes max). Several others mentioned that they had a good cop, bad cop type of interview.

Know your app, know why medicine/DO, Why NSU.

Just received my snail mail rejection. The NSU purge continues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Today was great. For anyone interviewing in the future, just relax. The staff is awesome, and the students are so much fun. You'll have a great day.

Today was great. For anyone interviewing in the future, just relax. The staff is awesome, and the students are so much fun. You'll have a great day.

Its a great experience. I loved everything about the school when I interviewed last week.

Does anyone have any idea what the post-interview acceptance rate is? The 19th can't come soon enough!!

The school was amazing and the faculty seemed very committed to making sure everyone succeeds. Students seem genuinely happy and supportive of each other. The Practical Experience part of the interview was really interesting!

Does anyone have any idea what the post-interview acceptance rate is? The 19th can't come soon enough!!

The school was amazing and the faculty seemed very committed to making sure everyone succeeds. Students seem genuinely happy and supportive of each other. The Practical Experience part of the interview was really interesting!

Wait did you just interview and will get a response on admission status by 9/19?

Holy...that's quick. I interview next week so I wonder if it'll be just as soon

Its nice! The only thing that stinks about the quick turnaround is trying to give TY letters.

You might wanna have 2 prepared so you can throw those bad boys in the mail immediately afterwards.

Its nice! The only thing that stinks about the quick turnaround is trying to give TY letters.

You might wanna have 2 prepared so you can throw those bad boys in the mail immediately afterwards.

I've heard that many schools don't really care for thank you letters but is NSU extremely receptive for them?

Interview Days
August 17th
August 23th
August 25th
August 30th
Sept 1st

There's more days scheduled in the near future but I don't actually note it down until the day of ... Seeing u guys in the lecture halls or cafeteria helps me remember to add a date onto the list

I've heard that many schools don't really care for thank you letters but is NSU extremely receptive for them?

I never sent thank u letters I did an email instead but the interviewers never replied ... I got accepted two weeks post interview

Reactions: 1 users

For the current M1 class they told us on the first day that there was 8000 primary applications they offered 600ish interviews and they accepted about 400? For our class of 270 (20 seats which are given to the master students) so it's 250 open seats for u guys .... I think those numbers are right or at least as close as my memory serves me

Just a lowly premed here but if admissions goes out of their way with contact info ( they give you a contact sheet and the interviewers gave business cards), then it would probably be in your best interest to at least send an email

Just a lowly premed here but if admissions goes out of their way with contact info ( they give you a contact sheet and the interviewers gave business cards), then it would probably be in your best interest to at least send an email

Good point. Thanks!

I sent a thank you email to both my interviewers. One responded very positively and the other one didn't reply. I was accepted a bit after.

For the current M1 class they told us on the first day that there was 8000 primary applications they offered 600ish interviews and they accepted about 400? For our class of 270 (20 seats which are given to the master students) so it's 250 open seats for u guys .... I think those numbers are right or at least as close as my memory serves me

Oh wow your OMS1 class size is 270 kids? That's pretty large isnt it?

Oh wow your OMS1 class size is 270 kids? That's pretty large isnt it?
Yeah but most of the mandatory attendance classes we are split into 2 so about 125 ... The masters pple don't count since they are the lab fellows they took the science classes already so they walk around and help us during labs

Are any of you guys having issues with accessing the secondary website? My internet is fine but it seems like I'm unable to connect to that site specifically.

Are any of you guys having issues with accessing the secondary website? My internet is fine but it seems like I'm unable to connect to that site specifically.

I remember someone mentioning a similar issue using a specific internet browser.

Sorry I don't remember but I had zero issues with safari.

I remember someone mentioning a similar issue using a specific internet browser.

Sorry I don't remember but I had zero issues with safari.

It was working before and now it isn't. Was using Chrome. Tried IE and it still isn't working =/.

II just now for me too. ^_^

Reactions: 3 users
congrats to you guys getting IIs! and sorry to those who got the rejection letters in the mail :/ this process is unpredictable... I'm surprised they're already sending them out so soon

EDIT: To those who got IIs, when are your interviews?

Still waiting to hear back from nova. I was complete July 19.

When were you guys complete and did you receive a complete email/phone call?

was complete mid july I think. Actually got a call a few weeks back to see if i could interview in a week, but schedule conflicts; this time got a email for the II

My timeline of events might not be too accurate since I had some issues with a document I accidentally forgot to sign (The signature page). As a result, it took an extra few weeks for me to get the "complete" email. I received the II via email.

Timeline:
- Submitted supplemental app: Jul 20th.
- "complete" email: Aug 11th

congrats to you guys getting IIs! and sorry to those who got the rejection letters in the mail :/ this process is unpredictable... I'm surprised they're already sending them out so soon

Interviewing on Nov 3rd

Just got a call from Miami. Got super excited. Answered. Nobody was there.

EDIT: In hindsight, I shouldn't have been excited. Last time they called me it said Ft. Lauderdale.

Last edited:
Just got a call from Miami. Got super excited. Answered. Nobody was there.

EDIT: In hindsight, I shouldn't have been excited. Last time they called me it said Ft. Lauderdale.

Yea lol. If it's from Nova, the number should start with a 954 area code. 305 is more for FIU or UM.

Does anyone know how strict of a requirement the recommendation letter from a physician is?

I have 5 recommendation letters (2 undergrad science faculty, 2 MPH faculty, and 1 from my supervisor who is faculty at a medical school [but he's not a physician]).

I briefly spoke to someone from NSU on the phone who said the school would never accept an applicant who did not submit a LOR from a physician. I was just wondering how accurate of a statement that was; does anyone know of someone who was accepted without the physician LOR?

I was complete August 24th, interviewing on Nov 3rd. Really excited!

II today! Complete 8/15. Soooooo excited my number 1 choice! Interviewing Nov 3 too !

Does anyone know how strict of a requirement the recommendation letter from a physician is?

Extremely. Even if you could get a BS LOR from your PCP or something, that would be better than none. Have you not shadowed or had any clinical exposure?

Sooo the portal says I'm complete and have been for about a month but I never received a complete call. Are they just calling some people and leaving the rest to question their existence or what...

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile