Nova Southeastern University (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there is an online portal for us to check our status? I haven't heard anything since my complete e-mail forever ago :(
No, you have to call the admissions office. The portal only shows you the documents that they have received or are missing.

Members don't see this ad.

No, you have to call the admissions office. The portal only shows you the documents that they have received or are missing.
Thank you! I think I'm going to just be patient. I was complete 8/19, so I didn't submit super early, but I'm just antsy!

Do you think calling affects anything? I had my application submitted back in July and still have not received any news =/
If I should call, what exactly should I ask? Just "hey what's good how's my app going"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think calling affects anything? I had my application submitted back in July and still have not received any news =/
If I should call, what exactly should I ask? Just "hey what's good how's my app going"?
You can say you want to check your application status. They will pull out your application from their system. I called 2 days ago and they told me.

Reactions: 1 user
You can say you want to check your application status. They will pull out your application from their system. I called 2 days ago and they told me.
Did they basically just tell you your application was complete?

Did they basically just tell you your application was complete?
They will also tell you your application status, like your application is being reviewed now, or you are on the waiting list.

But I got news like a letter in the mail that says your application is still pending thats all it really said though, thoughts?

Same here, just got that letter today. I informed them before that I would be sending them a new MCAT score and a letter from a DO (the latter of which I was told they need for an II). Maybe it's to tell us that we're not their most highly-considered applicants, but we're on their radar and any additional updates that improve the application will grant us an II.

That's my hunch anyways, but I'll call them tomorrow and post any updates I get here.

I got one today but don't know if I got the same letter because it didn't say I was pending or missing anything. It basically said that I'm still being considered but they can't really make a decision yet.

Yeah I just got the same letter. It says I am a pending candidate not really sure what that means.... It says "Applications in this status remain active but are not ranked" Do they rank the candidates to see who gets an II or not?

Any updates on those who interviewed 9/15? They said October 1st at the latest, but I have yet to hear anything.

Any updates on those who interviewed 9/15? They said October 1st at the latest, but I have yet to hear anything.

The school is e x t r e m e l y disorganized. Just give it another week or two

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed on 9/8, still didn't hear anything. So you're fine. Relax

I got the weird WL letter via snailmail today. Bummer. Anyone have stats on post secondary waitlist ---> eventual II?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are pending candidate letters basically nice rejections?

I got the weird WL letter via snailmail today. Bummer. Anyone have stats on post secondary waitlist ---> eventual II?

What are theses letters you guys are talking about? Is there another path other than II or silence after secondary?

I got a call today from NSU saying that I'm missing 2 LOR's. :(

What are theses letters you guys are talking about? Is there another path other than II or silence after secondary?
They sent us letters via snailmail that our applications were "pending"- active but not ranked, and that we should continue to send them updates

For those who interviewed and are still waiting for decision - give it an another one or two weeks. Admin is busy dealing with the hurricane and campus is closed from Wednesday to Friday.

Reactions: 1 users
GPAs are around 3.44. My ECs, PS, and LORs (my strongest aspect) are actually pretty good. I think they are top quality considering my acceptance at LECOM-SH, but again it is hard for me to stay objective since I waived my right.

Dang I had no idea NOVA hovers around a 502, I feel really stupid for not applying back in July. By virtue of being already October puts me at a disadvantage (sending in my apps early certainly played towards receiving my IIs from LECOM and BCOM). However, in my mind, and I could be incorrect, I viewed LECOM-B and NOVA is top tier schools and since I was rejected by LECOM-B, my chances at NOVA are slim to begin with.

I believe my app's PS, LORs, etc. could generate enough interest for an II and I know I interview fairly well too. Anyways, I don't have much time to ponder the what ifs, I start scribing this week!

I applied "late" (November) to 12 schools last year and got one interview and one acceptance (to next year's class at KYCOM), and this cycle I applied early to LECOM-B and Nova. Numbers are just numbers. KYCOM saw something they liked in my application. LECOM-SH saw something they liked in yours. All you can do is toss your hat in the ring and see what happens. Not to get woo-woo, but you ARE more than your stats, and you don't catch any fish if you don't cast the line.

Also, congrats on the scribing gig. I've been scribing for 2 years and I can't begin to tell you how amazing, infuriating, eye-opening, challenging, tedious, and wonderful it has been. Always think about how YOU would want your charting if you were the physician and listen to all the words, and they'll be sad to see you go next year.

GPAs are around 3.44. My ECs, PS, and LORs (my strongest aspect) are actually pretty good. I think they are top quality considering my acceptance at LECOM-SH, but again it is hard for me to stay objective since I waived my right.

Dang I had no idea NOVA hovers around a 502, I feel really stupid for not applying back in July. By virtue of being already October puts me at a disadvantage (sending in my apps early certainly played towards receiving my IIs from LECOM and BCOM). However, in my mind, and I could be incorrect, I viewed LECOM-B and NOVA is top tier schools and since I was rejected by LECOM-B, my chances at NOVA are slim to begin with.

I believe my app's PS, LORs, etc. could generate enough interest for an II and I know I interview fairly well too. Anyways, I don't have much time to ponder the what ifs, I start scribing this week!

But I got news like a letter in the mail that says your application is still pending thats all it really said though, thoughts?

I got the same letter today. What a weird letter!

Same here, just got that letter today. I informed them before that I would be sending them a new MCAT score and a letter from a DO (the latter of which I was told they need for an II). Maybe it's to tell us that we're not their most highly-considered applicants, but we're on their radar and any additional updates that improve the application will grant us an II.

That's my hunch anyways, but I'll call them tomorrow and post any updates I get here.

I got one today but don't know if I got the same letter because it didn't say I was pending or missing anything. It basically said that I'm still being considered but they can't really make a decision yet.

Yeah I just got the same letter. It says I am a pending candidate not really sure what that means.... It says "Applications in this status remain active but are not ranked" Do they rank the candidates to see who gets an II or not?

I applied to Nova last cycle and got an identical letter via e-mail. It essentially means exactly what it says. We're not being rejected, but we're not being queued up for interviews yet either. I ended up not getting an interview, but it was also March, so take that as you will.

I applied "late" (November) to 12 schools last year and got one interview and one acceptance (to next year's class at KYCOM), and this cycle I applied early to LECOM-B and Nova. Numbers are just numbers. KYCOM saw something they liked in my application. LECOM-SH saw something they liked in yours. All you can do is toss your hat in the ring and see what happens. Not to get woo-woo, but you ARE more than your stats, and you don't catch any fish if you don't cast the line.

Also, congrats on the scribing gig. I've been scribing for 2 years and I can't begin to tell you how amazing, infuriating, eye-opening, challenging, tedious, and wonderful it has been. Always think about how YOU would want your charting if you were the physician and listen to all the words, and they'll be sad to see you go next year.

Thanks for sharing your experience! And I totally agree with you, I think each school views and evaluates applicants on very different metrics.

I was going to start my scribing this weekend, but because of the hurricane that will be on hold. I have been told by my friends who did scribe and are now in med school that scribing provided a clear advantage in early clinical interactions. Should be fun and I am interested in EM, so this gig will provide further insight!

I just got the "classified you as a pending candidate for the 2017 entering class" letter as well. :( I was scared to open the envelope, thought it could be a rejection letter. I guess it's better to be "pending" than rejected.

I just got the "classified you as a pending candidate for the 2017 entering class" letter as well. :( I was scared to open the envelope, thought it could be a rejection letter. I guess it's better to be "pending" than rejected.
Its better than a rejection friend. And you are a florida resident so I wouldn't lose faith yet!

Does anyone know if Nova will respond to "in the area" emails or if anyone has had any luck trying this? I am flying into the area in the middle of November and it would be nice to save some money if I ended up getting an interview at this school.

Anyone interviewing next week and concerned about the hurricane...

Does anyone know if Nova will respond to "in the area" emails or if anyone has had any luck trying this? I am flying into the area in the middle of November and it would be nice to save some money if I ended up getting an interview at this school.

M1 at Nova, here. and to answer your question, highly unlikely

I got the pending applicant letter today, pretty bummed as I really like this school. Well, can't win them all.

I got the letter too! but hey it might mean good news?

That's true, gotta stay positive! It seems like they sent that out to a lot of people, I wonder if it means that we're still very much in the running or that they just didn't want to reject us but didn't want to interview us either.

That's true, gotta stay positive! It seems like they sent that out to a lot of people, I wonder if it means that we're still very much in the running or that they just didn't want to reject us but didn't want to interview us either.
I think it just means they are not sure yet cause it's still early in the cycle and they just want to see how the applicant pool shapes up. NOVA has already sent pre-interview rejections. SO I guess we can look at this as good news. All speculation though haha

I think it just means they are not sure yet cause it's still early in the cycle and they just want to see how the applicant pool shapes up. NOVA has already sent pre-interview rejections. SO I guess we can look at this as good news. All speculation though haha

That's true, it is still pretty early in the cycle. I didn't know that they already sent out rejections, in that case I definitely look at this as a positive thing. I'm glad they kept us informed, I'd rather know something than have silence. Well it looks like its time to wait and hope hahaha.

It's a way of putting us on hold, but more like a hold until the next few months. I'm guessing our apps will be re-evaluated around Dec./Jan. after those accepted put their security deposits for Dec. 15th, then more interviews will go out. I'm very thankful to still be in the running!

have two MD interviews and got waitlisted at Nova, anyone in the same boat?

Last edited:
have two MD interviews and got waitlisted at Nova, anyone in the same boat? Don't really understand why at this point

Congrats on the MD II's. But just because you get MD II's/acceptances doesn't mean you'll get DO II's/acceptances.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 6 users
Got that pending candidate letter bs too lol Thats a rejection idc I'm moving on

So based on what they said, an update letter will help?

It couldn't hurt. If it states, provide an update, then provide and update. Let them know you are serious about becoming a Shark and won't take no for an answer.....and BOOM, here's my proof. What's the worst that could happen?! You got this!!!!

It couldn't hurt. If it states, provide an update, then provide and update. Let them know you are serious about becoming a Shark and won't take no for an answer.....and BOOM, here's my proof. What's the worst that could happen?! You got this!!!!
Thanks for the kind words friend. Currently on post-interview waitlist and I was debating throwing them another update (last one was September 1st).

Thanks for the kind words friend. Currently on post-interview waitlist and I was debating throwing them another update (last one was September 1st).

No problem at all. I can't wait to hear the good news that you got in. I have a feeling there may be a little bit more of a delay due to the weather and the people having headed out of town but no worries. Believe that you will get in to the school that is best fitted for you. And next year, when it's my turn to apply, you'll return the favor and give me some insight on life as an M1. If there's nothing to update them on...then, no need for redundancy.

Super late, but also got the pending interview candidate email, haha

Pending and I was like so confused. Whyy? Bc everyone who is waiting for ii is technicaly pending. Why did they have to spend extra money sending me a letter?

Pending and I was like so confused. Whyy? Bc everyone who is waiting for ii is technicaly pending. Why did they have to spend extra money sending me a letter?
Hmm, I think some people get outright rejected after submitting in secondaries but some people don't get rejected and may get consideration later on for II because they are still competitive but not as competitive as others who received one. We are in the latter half.

I do agree notifying us via snail mail is a little antiquated and unnecessary. Could've just sent us an email.

Got the pending application letter. So....uh, did anyone without interviews not get the letter?