NOVA vs UMaryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dents19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Need advice!!
its a blessing to even have the oppotunity to actaully choose where i want to go and its a very TOUGH decision. -
I fell in love with the facilities at Umaryland. Everyone was very friendly and I got a nice vibe. I sent out the deposit and have already been searching for apartments. My problem now is that I keep getting my doubts ( i have until the end of the week to send out my nova deposit)- im from FL and it would be very " convenient" to stay here and go to Fort Laud. Weathers great and Id be close to family.
Is it worth leaving? Would it make that big of a difference in my education if i were to choose one school over the other?
The only reason Im contemplating whether or not itd be a good idea to go to Nova is because ive heard some negative things about their clinics and how many seats they have for patients. But then again, I deeply believe that you get out of your education what you put in. If you have passion for what you do, then you can become very successful.
Im really interested in just doing General Dentistry and perhaps doing a 1 yr residency after ( i know a lot could happen between now and then, and i could change my mind) but from what ive seen so far from shadowing, this is what i can gather.

Any advice or thoughts would be of great help!
Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

idk where nova is in FL, but if you can commute to nova, and its cheaper, then go there...but if the prices are the same, then just go with what you want. Do you want to be around your family? or do you want to experience a new area?

I suggest stay at your home state. Close to your family and the good weather.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, if i were u, i would really lean towards umd!

NOVA (so far) is my first choice for a dental school. But I live in VA, so i've seen the AMAZING dental school umd is (hopefully i too will have to make a tough decision like you one day! :)) *fingers crossed* :xf:

Butttt the reason i say u should go with umd is because this is ur time to go out and see what it's like to live elsewhere. U make connections outside of your state (u will if u stay in state too, but more if u go elsewhere) It's four years that u are going to be living in a diff area. Go somewhere different and have fun with it. Personally, to me both are really great schools! I've never been to nova, but to umd mannnyy times, but i know for dentals schools, i personally want to go somewhere different.

With that said. Look into other things, like cost, area, type of school, the things they offer, student/teacher ratio, facilities, opportunities etc. and see which best suits ur needs!

Good luck!

the only issue ive heard about nova would be their clinical setting. i heard from many other schools that they do not have not enough seats for their class and it is extremely difficult to get a chair and a patient. Maybe im wrong, also i have never heard anything good or bad about umd.

Nova is a great school but thats the only knock on it in my opinion.

good luck, you really cant go wrong. You will be a dentist in 4 years either way.

the only issue ive heard about nova would be their clinical setting. i heard from many other schools that they do not have not enough seats for their class and it is extremely difficult to get a chair and a patient. Maybe im wrong, also i have never heard anything good or bad about umd.

Nova is a great school but thats the only knock on it in my opinion.

good luck, you really cant go wrong. You will be a dentist in 4 years either way.

We got seating issues in Maryland too, I am D1 student at UMB.