Now is it too late??????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chang12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question
Is it too late to apply??

I'm taking my MCAT end of January and my practice scores have been around 495-500. I might take it again April 1 for improvement...would April be too late?
My GPA is low at 3.0
I was a d1 athlete in college, volunteered 300+hr, havent shadowed yet
3-6 letters of rec from 3 professors, high school teacher, boss, doctor (hhopefullythe one i shadow)

I was wondering if I should apply this cycle or get my MCAT higher in April and apply next cycle.
I would really like to continue my education rather than wait another year
I am a CA resident and would love to go to Samuel Merrit or WesternU, but I'm not picky
Suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll give my two cents... While you do have good extra curriculars, you are lacking in the GPA department. The trend seems to be that if you have a low GPA, you need a pretty good MCAT. I think it will all depend on your MCAT score. If you score really well I think you have a chance at getting in this cycle to a school with a big class size. By really well I mean somewhere around a 30, or 510ish. But if I were you I would just wait and apply at the beginning of next cycle. It won't be as competitive at the beginning and it will probably give you a better shot at getting into a school.

If you get a 500+ on your MCAT, apply early next cycle and you'll be fine. Unless you get a really high MCAT this cycle (like 510 as the previous person stated) you won't have a good chance with your lower GPA. My advice is apply next cycle. In the meantime shadow a lot of podiatrists and maybe even do a podiatry internship this summer. You'll significantly increase your chances that way

I don't think podiatry schools have any bad stigmas towards reapplicants, so I don't think you'll hurt yourself if you apply this cycle anyways. Maybe you'll get in at one of the bigger schools

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Question
Is it too late to apply??

I'm taking my MCAT end of January and my practice scores have been around 495-500. I might take it again April 1 for improvement...would April be too late?
My GPA is low at 3.0
3-6 letters of rec from 3 professors, high school teacher, boss, doctor (hhopefullythe one i shadow)

I was wondering if I should apply this cycle or get my MCAT higher in April and apply next cycle.
I would really like to continue my education rather than wait another year
I am a CA resident and would love to go to Samuel Merrit or WesternU, but I'm not picky
Suggestions?

Basically what the other 2 have stated already.

Applying a cycle later to guarantee a higher MCAT score (think 506-510) is definitely worth it. If you find yourself with an extra year after you take the MCAT, well heck go to work and save a bit of money up, keep shadowing the profession, and really use that year to the fullest.

Point is it can only help you to apply EARLY next cycle with a HIGHER MCAT as compared to applying this late with a contingency plan to reapply next cycle anyways. Focusing on the next cycle will get that load off your shoulders so you can focus better on a higher score and less on trying to "get in" on time with everyone else.

You should call the admissions offices at the podiatry schools you are interested in and ask them how close they are to filling their class. Most likely they will say "we are almost full" (because they want you to hurry and get your app in) but chances are you will still be able to get into a few schools if you apply this cycle. It is much easier to get into pod school than people think, but the coursework is TOUGH - so be prepared. Also, I spoke with a professor at my school the other day and he mentioned that the applications are at a 40% lower rate than they were at this time last year for the podiatry schools (unverified though). So your chances at getting in this cycle are good. You can always call admissions and ask them for statistics about incoming students too.

You should call the admissions offices at the podiatry schools you are interested in and ask them how close they are to filling their class. Most likely they will say "we are almost full" (because they want you to hurry and get your app in) but chances are you will still be able to get into a few schools if you apply this cycle. It is much easier to get into pod school than people think, but the coursework is TOUGH - so be prepared. Also, I spoke with a professor at my school the other day and he mentioned that the applications are at a 40% lower rate than they were at this time last year for the podiatry schools (unverified though). So your chances at getting in this cycle are good. You can always call admissions and ask them for statistics about incoming students too.
what school do you go to?

My GPA is low at 3.0

I re-read this and have another question. You said you haven't shadowed yet. How do you know you definitely want to pursue podiatry as a career?

Reactions: 1 user