Now that 4th year has effectively melted my brain...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

littlejuan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What would be the best way to get those neurons kicking again before intern year? I am a little nervous considering I feel like I have reverted to pre-3rd year levels of knowledge (if I am lucky). :(

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy your time before residency! You'll have plenty of time to blow out your neurons in residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
I learned EPIC through youtube videos before starting. Seemed to help the transition.

But yes, stay away from the books. Start a new hobby and continue it through residency.

Enjoy your time off.
You will have very little of that over the next 3-4 years.

If you won't listen to that advice, something like the EM Basic podcast would make for a good review.

Any EKG advice? I have always felt weak there and wouldn't mind something like that to review up on from time to time before starting.

I absolutely agree that the best way to get "the neurons kicking again" is the rest them, and hit the reset button. Anything worthwhile that you learned will come back to you without problem, so relax, have fun, and enjoy yourself on as many non-medical things as possible. There will plenty of time for working, when you're back in the game. Pace yourself and you'll be stronger in the long run.

Reactions: 1 user
I learned EPIC through youtube videos before starting. Seemed to help the transition.

But yes, stay away from the books. Start a new hobby and continue it through residency.

LOL, what? You studied an EMR during your time off?

Reactions: 3 users
If you must review things, listen to EM basic while you run or exercise. Those podcasts are a great way to prime your mind to be an EM intern and, to be honest, getting into shape now and setting yourself up to not become a total blob during residency is faaaaarrrr more important than anything you could possibly learn between now and starting residency. I'm half-blob right now and it's tough to find the time to fight it off.

Thanks for the advice guys! I wasn't trying to imply that I want to study hardcore, I just feel like I need a little boost after this year. I swear I am working with half a brain.. :(

Last edited: