NP vs MD? A Highschooler needing opinions!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biga07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a senior in high school and the big decision is coming upon me; where will I attend and what will I major in? I live in Southern West Virginia where the recent economical downfall has impacted my family tremendously, so much that I believe the best option is to attend community college. I always wanted to work in medical field, but felt getting an MD/DO was too difficult for my situation. You see, my parents are unable to help with my schooling and I do not possess a car to drive far off for college. I started looking into perhaps getting an ADN at community college, then moving on to getting a master's degree online. This would best suit my financial situation as after getting my associate's, I could begin working while finishing education. However, I feel that I will eventually regret not going to medical school as I would love to be a doctor, it just doesn't seem to work the best for me. If any, what solutions would you believe there be for me? Would it be possible to get both requirements for a nursing degree and for potential admittance to medical school at the same time? Thanks! (Also, sorry if this post doesn't fit here, I felt this was the best place it would fit!)

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to go to medical school, don't waste you time and $$$ trying to meet the pre-reqs for both. Are there any scholarships you would qualify for? Do you qualify for any loans? Have you talked to your school counselor about your plans?

Make sure you don't settle for something rather than going for what you'd rather do. That is a recipe for unhappiness and dissatisfaction with your job.

Man, you're still young. If you want to become a physician, go for your MD/DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to be a physician and feel you will regret not going then just go for it. Don't waste time getting your ADN or becoming an NP, especially considering you'll probably be taking a seat from someone who actually wants to be a nurse. Besides, you're way too young to start settling on your future already.

Just go to a CC, then transfer to a 4 year (preferably a cheaper state school) and get your Bachelors. You'll have to live off of loans most likely, but you'll have loans for medical school anyway.

If you're worried about CC classes not looking good to an ADCOM, just apply to various DO schools as well. From what I've heard, a lot of them tend to be more open to CC classes vs. MD schools.

Well, consider looking into nurse anesthetist (CRNA). They make very good money, often more than starting PCP,s with little student debt compared to a physician and a much better ROI.

Still, I am uneasy over recommending people to choose something due to financial ability, but you know your situation better. All I can say is, there are student loans to deal with that. Good luck in choosing and you have plenty of time.