NPTE Exam Preparation and Study Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTapp

DPT
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am finishing up my second year in PT school and was just wondering when I should start studying for the NPTE Exam. I am going to go ahead and buy the O'Sullivan's preparation book online, however I just don't know when to start exactly. Any recommendations?

Moreover, I would like to form a study group where we can discuss the examination process, ask each other questions, etc... I think it would be beneficial to all of us to share ideas and experiences in the field. Would anyone be interested? Any other ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Most PTs I know (including myself) didn't start studying until the end of 3rd year or after graduation. I heard they were changing the exam to a "set date" for the exam which ultimately will affect when you should start studying. Each person is different, but I don't think you would need more than a few months to study as long as your school has done a good job of preparing you.

Also, many schools offer a prep course, so you might want to inquire about that.

Most grads I've talked to didn't start studying until the last month or so of their last clinical. And yah, there will be set dates now but they haven't released when they'll be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, things are changing a little bit with the set dates. However, from what I've heard, students at my program typically start studying during our last semester (for us we spend it doing 2 full time internships). Take a little bit of time after graduation too.

I've also been quite curious about "how" to study for this. So far, I've been putting together summary tables for each of my classes. They will be a good reference later so I don't have to rummage through a pile of notes. However, I don't really know what types of questions are asked, what to focus on, etc. I've got a while before I have to worry, but would love to hear from 3rd years/practicing PTs.

Hello dizzy,

Therapy Exam Prep is an online NPTE webinar program that help with exam analysis, types of questions, study tips, strategies, techniques and all helped by licensed PTs. You can visit the website and see what it's all about. You can start your NPTE journey to success and be guided by actual PTs for 3 months!

My suggestion, study one or two of the study guides (O'Sullivan, Giles, etc) as that's all you will need. I only referred to my class notes if something didn't make sense to me.

Afterwards, I took at least 5 practice tests to get used to the wording of questions and to see where I was deficient in.