NRMP Email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Burnt_toast

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all so I'm very excited to have matched. I applied to an "R" physician only position, a few advanced, and 2 categorical positions. The email I got Monday said "Congrats, you matched."

Does this mean that I either matched to the R position or one of the categorical positions then? Or does it mean I could have matched anywhere, since I did not list prelim programs and I would be considered fully matched even if I matched to an advanced position, given that no prelims were listed? I am not sure if I would be considered fully matched if I did not list prelim programs.

Does that make sense? If anyone knows and can provide clarity it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know, but my guess is that it could mean any of the programs, given what you've told us. Sorry I can't be of any help. Congratulations on matching though. I hope you get the program you wanted.

I don't know, but my guess is that it could mean any of the programs, given what you've told us. Sorry I can't be of any help. Congratulations on matching though. I hope you get the program you wanted.

Thanks! I am totally dying now to find out where I matched! I really don't know whether me listing no prelims would have the system consider me matched fully even if it's just a prelim, or whether I matched categorical or "R". I felt a huge sense of relief on Monday after I learned I matched but now that I know a bunch of people know where they matched, I feel left out of the loop and super anxious!

I don't know where I'm going either, so you're not alone. Just a few more days. Good luck!

It means you have matched into either a categorical or physician-only ("R") program. Congratulations!

Question #3 in the FAQ section below goes through the wording of the 6 possible emails that were sent out yesterday.
http://www.nrmp.org/faq-sections/non-u-s-senior-faqs/

Normally, yes, but I did not list prelim programs, so I could not have matched to a prelim program. I think that's only for US seniors. I'm not a US senior, so not entirely sure it applies to me. So what's driving me nuts is whether by me not listing prelims, the system would still consider me matched. I honestly would find it hard to believe that I matched either at the R program or the categorical programs. Man this really sucks to not know!

My hunch would be that it doesn't matter if you listed a prelim or not. If you were to match advanced only the system would still give you the "You matched advanced" message since it can't tell the difference between someone who elected not to list prelims and someone who couldn't list prelims due to not having enough interviews. The messages are the some for non-US seniors and US seniors.

So I'd be willing to bet that it means you matched either R or categorical. Good luck and let us know what it turns out to be!

Normally, yes, but I did not list prelim programs, so I could not have matched to a prelim program. I think that's only for US seniors. I'm not a US senior, so not entirely sure it applies to me. So what's driving me nuts is whether by me not listing prelims, the system would still consider me matched. I honestly would find it hard to believe that I matched either at the R program or the categorical programs. Man this really sucks to not know!

Not listing a supplemental list for advanced programs is irrelevant. The NRMP does not know your current status as a resident. They only know you're not currently in medical school.

Take a closer look at the FAQ link I posted, it's from the non-US senior section. You have matched into either a categorical or physician-only ("R") position.

Reactions: 1 user