NRMP SOAP violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there. I am posting this for a relative. Apparently he had participated in the residency match 2016 and did not match. He also applied through soap. However, a practising US physician friend of him, not familiar with SOAP rules, emailed a program out of good will to recommend him for which he has gotten reported to NRMP. Now this gentleman who was hoping to apply for 2017 match is being investigated and is supposed to respond to NRMP for this allegation within one week. What approach should he adopt to get minimal damage ( his name may be red flagged in the R3 as a match violator and faces match sanctions frm one to three year). This is mentally very stressful and please advise if somebody has had similar experience and how they dealt wiith it.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there. I am posting this for a relative. Apparently he had participated in the residency match 2016 and did not match. He also applied through soap. However, a practising US physician friend of him, not familiar with SOAP rules, emailed a program out of good will to recommend him for which he has gotten reported to NRMP. Now this gentleman who was hoping to apply for 2017 match is being investigated and is supposed to respond to NRMP for this allegation within one week. What approach should he adopt to get minimal damage ( his name may be red flagged in the R3 as a match violator and faces match sanctions frm one to three year). This is mentally very stressful and please advise if somebody has had similar experience and how they dealt wiith it.

thanks

I once, inadverently, did something that violated an NRMP requirement. They investigated. I told the truth. It was fine.

I have found the NRMP to be one of the most reasonable agencies that I have to deal with in my work. They are not out on witchhunts. As PD I get copies of NRMP adverse actions on anyone who has applied to my program. Their decisions on who to sanction (and they have a range of sanctions) usually looks fair.

Reactions: 1 user
Great advice. Be upfront and honest about what happened. NRMP will probably side with the program if you (or your "relative") lie and the punishment could be much, much worse including inability to register for NRMP. So be truthful.