NSERC vs Regular Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krnkrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an undergrad and I was wondering whether graduate schools in psych (emphasis on clinical) tend to distinguish NSERC research awards from regular research.

More specifically, I'm being paid by my school for one of my research positions at one of my labs.
If I'm seriously involved in a few labs for a consistent number of years, would I be equally as competitive as someone who held an NSERC position over the summer?

(To clarify, I don't have time to apply for NSERC because I need to take summer courses most years, and I'm involved in a few other labs that I wouldn't want to put on hold/drop)

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

The NSERC undergraduate research award is a definite plus, and may help with your future funding prospects through the Tri-Council Agencies (which is a good thing!). That said, I know a number of students who never had one and still managed to get into great clinical programs with solid SSHRC funding. It will neither make nor break your application-- Just ensure you're getting good quality research experience in other ways. Are you planning to complete an honours thesis?

Yes, I'm in the specialized honours program at my school - so I've already secured a supervisor for next year.
With regards to other research experience, I've been consistently involved with 3 labs - 2 at my university, the other one through the university health network (Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals) where I work independently on projects.
Does the fact that I get paid tow work at one of the labs give me any advantages?

Members don't see this ad :)
The NSERC undergraduate research award is a definite plus, and may help with your future funding prospects through the Tri-Council Agencies (which is a good thing!). That said, I know a number of students who never had one and still managed to get into great clinical programs with solid SSHRC funding. It will neither make nor break your application-- Just ensure you're getting good quality research experience in other ways. Are you planning to complete an honours thesis?

Yes, I'm in the specialized honours program at my school - so I've already secured a supervisor for next year.
With regards to other research experience, I've been consistently involved with 3 labs - 2 at my university, the other one through the university health network (Toronto General and Toronto Western hospitals) where I work independently on projects.
Does the fact that I get paid tow work at one of the labs give me any advantages?

[Sorry I just figured out how to reply haha]

My sense is that paid versus volunteer work doesn't matter too much-- although I'm sure it's nice to be paid! These sound like fantastic experiences. Keep it up!