NSU acceptance class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
from what I gathered at my interview date, they provide housing for you during rotations that take you out of the city.

Really? I missed that! That is really a plus!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah I got into NSU-COM recently and they sent me their acceptance letter about a week after the phone call.

I loved the campus and the program at NSU. Congratulations to all who were accepted and best of luck to those who are in the process!

Members don't see this ad :)
I missed that too. Any lurking M1 2 or 3 students on this thread that can let us know about housing when on 3rd year away rotations? :)

Thanks!

I remember at my interview, they mentioned that they provide housing. I remember when they were telling us about hte correctional facility rotation, they have trailers or cabins on the edge of the prison for the month that you live there. And I think I remember them saying when they send you for the rural rotations, they provide you with housing, but I'm not sure about the rest of it.

They dont provide housing on ALL your 3rd year rotations...only some places...especially in the rural rotation for sure..... my bro just graduated from NSUCOM in may...n for the most part, he was responsible for gettin his own housing....

I have a question for a Florida resident who has been accepted to NSU....

So in the acceptance package.....if u claim "instate tuition based on my residency"....instead of being a dependent of your parents or spouse.....

To prove your residency, they provided a looooooong list of possible things that we can send in.... Is it okay to just send them a photocopy of my Florida Drivers' License? or do we need to send in more than one kind of proof?
I've been calling the admissions office..but as usual...no luck today..

Thanks

I have a question for a Florida resident who has been accepted to NSU....

So in the acceptance package.....if u claim "instate tuition based on my residency"....instead of being a dependent of your parents or spouse.....

To prove your residency, they provided a looooooong list of possible things that we can send in.... Is it okay to just send them a photocopy of my Florida Drivers' License? or do we need to send in more than one kind of proof?
I've been calling the admissions office..but as usual...no luck today..

Thanks
Hey, I think you might need to send in something like a copy of your tax return or something like that. Im not sure a driver's liscense will do it but I could be mistaken. When I was sending in residency proof to UF that is what I had to do, send in a copy of tax return showing that my taxes were paid in the state of FL.

Also, did you receive that residency form after you reserved your spot or did it come initially with the acceptance letter?

no a DL is not enough..they need a LOT of stuff...and u wont get instate status until pretty much right until school starts..so dont panic...(not instate..but friends are) u have months to get all ur instate crap together..so dont worry..and congrats..i'll see u in aug!

Actually the letter says we only have 30 days :scared:

About the TRI.... I hear that if you just submit a request that you cant do the TRI bec of hardship, then most likely your request will be approved... dont know the stats.. but i've been talking to some NSU alumni...including my brother.. n that's the general opinion that i'm getting...

What I've been hearing a lot is that if there is a TRI located in the same area as where you did your allopathic residency, then you're gonna have a hard time explaining as to why you couldn't do one.

I like our schedule very much..its very rare...maybe once a week max where we stay till 5..normallly get out by 230-3...and every other friday is half day!! this is 11 weeks into 1st year...

I'm just curious about this one...at the interview the student tour guides said they are typically at school until 4 or 5 :)

im now in week 15..and things havnt changed..some ppl stay late to mess around in anatomy lab, it gets way to packed so i go a different time..usually a weekend or 2 b4 the exam...

im now in week 15..and things havnt changed..some ppl stay late to mess around in anatomy lab, it gets way to packed so i go a different time..usually a weekend or 2 b4 the exam...

That's pretty cool. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for pointing that out. Could you further explain it? Thanks.

This means that those that have matched into competitive fields and are doing a traditional internship first then you are only listed as traditional internship. i.e. if you match into plastics or derm and are required to do an internship year first, then the matchlist will not list you as matching into derm or plastics or whatever.

Congrats to all of you that have gotten in.

Just wanted to note here that I have a 2 bedroom/2 story condo one block away from school that I will be renting out next year. I will be a 4th year student on elective rotations so it's likely I will be here for only about 3-4 months the entire year. So if you want a huge townhouse pretty much all to yourself for most of the year, send me a message. Thanks.

I know it's early to think about housing but if you are interested let me know. I'm posting here b/c I would like a medical student to live here.

Hi everyone! I'll be joining the NSU crowd next year. I'm superexcited to be going there. Cheers!

I'm just curious about this one...at the interview the student tour guides said they are typically at school until 4 or 5 :)

Well it depends on what group you are in and how studious you are. They split the class into Group A and B for purposes of labs. For example on wednesday, Group A has Clinical Practicum from 1-3, then Histo lab from 3-5.... group B does the flip. You cannot miss CP at all, but if you want to, you can get away without going to histo lab much (altough I warn you, Dr. Dribin will know you're not there). So in that case, you should be there till 5, but many leave at 3. B group however, must still till 5 because of CP.

All in all though, I think we're normally there till 3 or 3:30 majority of days.

I had a "i:love:Nova" moment a second ago, so I decided to post in the class thread. Anyone thinking of going for another look in the coming months? I know HOD is.

I had a "i:love:Nova" moment a second ago, so I decided to post in the class thread. Anyone thinking of going for another look in the coming months? I know HOD is.
Oh thanks Kuba...let everyone know! lol. Any love from the schools?

I wanted to go for another look. Is there a formal way of asking for it? For instance, are you just going to go on your own and walk around campus, or are you going to request a tour or something?

Thanks!

I wanted to go for another look. Is there a formal way of asking for it? For instance, are you just going to go on your own and walk around campus, or are you going to request a tour or something?

Thanks!
I'd probably do a little of both. Why both? I can not get access to certain areas (labs) without the presence of a medical student or a general tour guide. Plus, if I have questions, they'll be about to answer them. Afterwards, I'd like to tour around myself because you get a different sense for the environment and curriculum when you don't have someone watching your every move. :)

I'd probably do a little of both. Why both? I can not get access to certain areas (labs) without the presence of a medical student or a general tour guide. Plus, if I have questions, they'll be about to answer them. Afterwards, I'd like to tour around myself because you get a different sense for the environment and curriculum when you don't have someone watching your every move. :)

Right on.

You should get a hidden camera and microphone, live internet feed, and let us "go with you on the UNE/NSU tours", so we all can get a second look!

TR: "Hey, HOD!"
HOD: "Yeah?"
TR: "Ask that biochem professor to hop up and down on one leg!"
HOD" "Uh, No!
TR: "Bark like a dog?"
HOD: "Dude, no!"
TR:"Ok, what about a wedgie? Pull my finger?"
HOD: ...
TR: "Hello?"

You should get a hidden camera and microphone, live internet feed, and let us "go with you on the UNE/NSU tours", so we all can get a second look!

TR: "Hey, HOD!"
HOD: "Yeah?"
TR: "Ask that biochem professor to hop up and down on one leg!"
HOD" "Uh, No!
TR: "Bark like a dog?"
HOD: "Dude, no!"
TR:"Ok, what about a wedgie? Pull my finger?"
HOD: ...
TR: "Hello?"
Don't tempt me. I just might do that. I might be going down with a few people from here.

Don't tempt me. I just might do that. I might be going down with a few people from here.

Hey, if you get a chance, could you maybe find out about the fellowships? I think there are at least two, maybe three: anatomy, OMM, and research. I was wonderng things like:

-how many spots
-criteria for acceptance
-how competitive
-pros and cons

There's not a lot of in depth information on their website, and I emailed the program director, but so far no response.

I would love to get the experience, and only pay two years of tuition.

Only if you have the time!:)

for omm, it's 8/9 spots, for anatomy i believe it's something along those lines. Research spots are limited to two right now and possibly opened to 4 beginning next year. like i told HOD, they will break ground on a new medical research building next year so in a couple of years those spots will soar. Don't know much else. Just wanted to begin answrering your question and let others fill in the meaty details....ummmm, meaty (drooling).

for omm, it's 8/9 spots, for anatomy i believe it's something along those lines. Research spots are limited to two right now and possibly opened to 4 beginning next year. like i told HOD, they will break ground on a new medical research building next year so in a couple of years those spots will soar. Don't know much else. Just wanted to begin answrering your question and let others fill in the meaty details....ummmm, meaty (drooling).

Thanks, Ossari! Do you know if you are able to apply simultaneously for different ones? I would enjoy either OMM or research, but I think #1 would be research. You do have to work on someone else's project though, so unless its an interesting one...:sleep:

Thanks, Ossari! Do you know if you are able to apply simultaneously for different ones? I would enjoy either OMM or research, but I think #1 would be research. You do have to work on someone else's project though, so unless its an interesting one...:sleep:
I don't see why not but don't know for sure. I wanna start getting more info. from them cuz there is nothing new for me to learn from the info they have available online.

Email the fellows. Make sure that you put in a "subject" so that they don't delete you.

This is what I have written:

Alberto: [email protected]
Graves: [email protected]

Post your results!!

That's what I am thinking too. OMM has a research component to it. Either way, I'd love to be a fellow.

I only have 1. He's a wire-haired dachshund.

He looks a litle different in your current avatar. One of my dogs was a short-haired dachshund. They are little stinkers! Now I got me two cats. Actually three. One is a stray living on my porch until his feline leukemia test comes back. Then he's going to my mom's "for the winter". Meet Trouble, Tess, and Skankers:

Attachments

• trouble.jpg
    trouble.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 165
  • tess.jpg
    tess.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 163
  • skankers.jpg
    skankers.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 169
well NSU is starting to look more and more like my destination next year after my UMDNJ waitlist. The only way I might not be going to Nova is if UMDNJ magically gets me off of their waitlist.

Hey, if you get a chance, could you maybe find out about the fellowships? I think there are at least two, maybe three: anatomy, OMM, and research. I was wonderng things like:

-how many spots
-criteria for acceptance
-how competitive
-pros and cons

There's not a lot of in depth information on their website, and I emailed the program director, but so far no response.

I would love to get the experience, and only pay two years of tuition.

Only if you have the time!:)
You have to realize that also the one extra year of living in florida + being one year behind on getting a residents/attending salary far surpasses the two years of tuition you get. So, really only go into it if you ABSOLUTELY love it. Otherwise you are losing a year of your life and also a years worth of an attending's salary.

I believe that with most of the fellowships there is about one spot for every 2-3 people that apply. It is not ultra-competitive because most of the class will not want to do it. On the flip side, however, you must show strong interest in OMM during your first two years to be considered. This means going to the OMM clinic during your free time and sucking up to the profs.

Anatomy fellowship is the summer after your first year. OMM spots are available after second year AND after 3rd year now. So you can even do one year of rotations first then do the fellowship. Research fellowship is after your second year and it pretty much is a year to slack off but at the same time possibly get a publication or two. anyway that's all I can think of.

You have to realize that also the one extra year of living in florida + being one year behind on getting a residents/attending salary far surpasses the two years of tuition you get. So, really only go into it if you ABSOLUTELY love it. Otherwise you are losing a year of your life and also a years worth of an attending's salary.

Thanks, HoodyHoo. Yeah, I was worried about this. Seems like saving 70K of tuition would be better in the long run, but i haven't sat down and actually done the math yet. I am interested, but must be realistic.

Oh right, then subtract living expenses for the extra year, duh! Much less attractive.

But you need to factor in the interest on the debt you will accrue if you pay all 4 years of tuition.

well NSU is starting to look more and more like my destination next year after my UMDNJ waitlist. The only way I might not be going to Nova is if UMDNJ magically gets me off of their waitlist.

Dr Kuba, how long are you willing to wait for NJ? The day before classes start? :eek: I don't think you will wait long at all. There is probably going to be a lot of movement. Hang in there!!! :luck: