NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
New year, new thread! Let's hear your discussion!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everybody, I will be matriculating at NSU this coming fall so I just literally got done with this application process. Feel free to ask any question! Good luck :luck:

Ditto here! I'm open to questions as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys...I'm a senior undergrad this year but I'm just now applying to schools. Would you mind kind of going over what lead you to choosing Nova? Thanks

Hey guys...I'm a senior undergrad this year but I'm just now applying to schools. Would you mind kind of going over what lead you to choosing Nova? Thanks

1) Rock solid rotation sites and their proximity to campus.

2) Resources available for students including research,scholarships, fellowships, etc.

3) Bomb preclinical faculty during M2

4) Great reputation, good board scores, and consistently decent matching.

5) Proximity to other schools such as U Miami, FIU, etc if one wants to do research projects that NSU can't accomodate.

6) Gorgeous setting and hot south florida chicks :laugh: Not really, but it sure as hell doesn't hurt lol.

Definitely my number one pick for medical school. I can't wait to apply here and hopefully I'll be seeing you all fall of 2012. :xf:

Thanks for being here for questions, too, guys.

hey good luck during the application process, i know these months can really be nerve wracking.

i chose nova for 2 main reasons:

1) i think that during the first two years, nova really prepares their students not only for the comlex, but for the M3 and M4 years. it really helps, going into the hospitals for your rotations, that they give students alot of patient contact. this includes shadowing a doctor where you would actually be interacting with the patient and doing differential diagnoses. during the M1-2 years you would be learning basic life support, pediatric life support and advanced cardiac life support. that doesn't mean that you will be giving the calls as a M3, but it gives you a much better foundation when the seconds count.

2) the rotations are taught in really good hospitals

other food for thought: great location; match list is impressive

Not going to be entering for another 3 years or so but can any current students comment on the dress code and the computer requirements?

Thanks.

I'll be applying here as well. With just finishing up finals week and cramming for my May 20th MCAT (but feeling the pressure to get everything together for the AACOMAS), I'm starting to get butterflies. Here's to hoping for a successful application cycle that will hopefully end me up in Florida!

Pretty much everything that munchyman said.

For me it came down to reputation, resources/facilities and location.

Reputation: Several of my friends from undergrad went on to Nova in various professional programs (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy) and were unanimous in their support for the school. They all said I'd love it there. Furthermore, because Nova puts out so many students in so many programs - and they've been doing it for such a long time - they have built quite a name for themselves.

Resources/facilities: I was really blow away during the interview tour. They just have everything you can think of... not just lecture halls, OMT lab, library, cafe but also a student union, gym and on-site medical/dental offices. They took us to one lab with a dummy that could simulate different cardiac scenarios and the students could listen in using special stethoscope radio receivers. Oh, and they have a dermatology residency affiliated with the school!

Location: My family is situated in south Florida. It puts me within driving distance (30 minutes) of everyone, which is super convenient for holidays, etc.

It's a great program and I'm extremely excited about the chance to be part of it!

I am really interested in doing the joint MPH/DO program. Is anyone else interested? Or are any of you current NSU-COM students doing a joint degree? Or have anything to say about it?

I am really interested in doing the joint MPH/DO program. Is anyone else interested? Or are any of you current NSU-COM students doing a joint degree? Or have anything to say about it?
I'm thinking about it, but you cannot start the program until you finish your first semester as an M1. I don't want to imagine trying to take the additional classes alongside gross anatomy.

I'd love to apply to NSU, but I dunno if i can get another science prof LOR. I know you need two, but i only have 1 each from science prof, liberal prof, and a DO....any way around it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Those already accepted to NOVA... Is it possible to find affordable housing in a decent area? I've heard Florida can be pricey. Also, what is the NOVA tuition? Thanks guys

Those already accepted to NOVA... Is it possible to find affordable housing in a decent area? I've heard Florida can be pricey. Also, what is the NOVA tuition? Thanks guys

Housing in the immediate school area rents for about 850-1100 monthly.

If you're willing to live farther from campus, you can knock a couple hundred off these prices. Definitely talk to a realtor and have some rental properties lined up when you go. Makes it so much easier...

Nova tuition is 44k/year for the 2011-2012 school year. Expect it to go up.

The tuition for Nova is unreal...I just do not understand it needing to be that high. The debt sux :(

So starting to get nervous about being in the first round of interviews. Can anyone let me in on this process a little more? I'm currently finishing up with filling out my AACOMAS, but my pre-health committee said it will take them an additional 2-3 weeks to process everything on their end (managing the LORs and finishing my committee letter). This is a little after when I expect to hear back from the fee assistance program for AACOMAS and have all the transcripts finalized/my new MCAT score in/everything verified.

If I am not verified/complete until the end of June, will this put me behind for getting into the first round of interviews if I have quick turn around (~1 day) on both my primary and secondary? Thanks!

The tuition for Nova is unreal...I just do not understand it needing to be that high. The debt sux :(

So starting to get nervous about being in the first round of interviews. Can anyone let me in on this process a little more? I'm currently finishing up with filling out my AACOMAS, but my pre-health committee said it will take them an additional 2-3 weeks to process everything on their end (managing the LORs and finishing my committee letter). This is a little after when I expect to hear back from the fee assistance program for AACOMAS and have all the transcripts finalized/my new MCAT score in/everything verified.

If I am not verified/complete until the end of June, will this put me behind for getting into the first round of interviews if I have quick turn around (~1 day) on both my primary and secondary? Thanks!

It shouldn't. I submitted my AACOMAS on 6/20 last year, and was verified around mid to late July. Also, my last LOR didn't come in until some time in August. I interviewed on the 2nd possible day of interviews ~mid September and that's because I passed up on the first day and was accepted a week later. You should be in good shape as long as you stay on top of everything with the pre-health office and have your primary submitted ASAP.

It shouldn't. I submitted my AACOMAS on 6/20 last year, and was verified around mid to late July. Also, my last LOR didn't come in until some time in August. I interviewed on the 2nd possible day of interviews ~mid September and that's because I passed up on the first day and was accepted a week later. You should be in good shape as long as you stay on top of everything with the pre-health office and have your primary submitted ASAP.

You're simply amazing. Thanks a ton!

I hate to be a buzzkill, but Nova is still a few grand cheaper than many private DO schools. Western U COMP and AZCOM for instance are both around 48k/year. The story is even worse if you want to go to a public school from out of state.

It's ridiculous, but as has been discussed ad nauseum here, schools don't have much of an incentive to lower tuition.

You're simply amazing. Thanks a ton!

Haha thanks, I do what I can with what I've got. Let me know if you have any other questions about the app cycle, sounds like you're following a timeline similar to mine.

I hate to be a buzzkill, but Nova is still a few grand cheaper than many private DO schools. Western U COMP and AZCOM for instance are both around 48k/year. The story is even worse if you want to go to a public school from out of state.

It's ridiculous, but as has been discussed ad nauseum here, schools don't have much of an incentive to lower tuition.

agree with munchymanRX, unless you are going to one of the LECOM or TCOM in Texas, most DO schools have hefty tuition since most of them are private schools. Nova is not the exceptionally pricey school here. Ppl who goes to CCOM will have to shell out close to 50K :eek:, for example.

whats the class size at NSU? is it greater than 250

No, you are totally right. I guess I'm just basing everyone's tuition off of LECOMs, which is insanely unfair - it's just a lot of $ to shell out, but I'd still happily pay it if I get an acceptance, lol.

I'd love to apply to NSU, but I dunno if i can get another science prof LOR. I know you need two, but i only have 1 each from science prof, liberal prof, and a DO....any way around it?

I think that you have 2 options: get a letter from a different source (non science professor, research) and then call the schools you are applying to and explain that you can't get a letter from a science professor, and would like to know what other options you have. I personally don't think that is the best option, because the school might just label your file " applicant with issues" and just toss it.

I happened to be in a situation where I was having a very difficult time getting a second rec. Letter, so I tracked down a professor who taught me 3 years ago and explained that I am applying to medical school and he would be an amazing help if he can take the time to write a letter on my behalf. (Something along those lines) it might not be the best rec. Letter that you get, but in my opinion, you need to track down one of your science professors and just get another letter somehow.
Good luck

It's great to hear that everyone seems to be impressed with the faculty and the facilities. Does anyone have any numbers on the COMLEX/USMLE first time pass rates?

I was told by a former NSU-COM graduate that it was in the low 80% which is a little concerning because pre-health advisers say any schools w/ scores below 90% usually need some justification.

Thanks for all of your help!

It's great to hear that everyone seems to be impressed with the faculty and the facilities. Does anyone have any numbers on the COMLEX/USMLE first time pass rates?

I was told by a former NSU-COM graduate that it was in the low 80% which is a little concerning because pre-health advisers say any schools w/ scores below 90% usually need some justification.

Thanks for all of your help!

I haven't heard this, but I did a quick search and based on this post from 2009, that isn't true..

http://206.82.221.137/showthread.php?t=586991&page=3

How long ago did the alum graduate? Maybe it happened, but recent numbers are definitely much higher. I know, for example, that UNECOM historically has a very good pass rate but a couple of years ago dipped into the mid 80's and everyone absolutely freaked out until it got back up, like the next year. So it does happen, but don't put too much stock in it.

Also, blah blah blah what you put in is what you get out blah blah.

The alumn graduated about a year ago. so it would have been the score report for about 2 years ago. I was told that they were implementing a new teaching method and it failed miserably. They said it was going back to the old method that worked for NSU before but I was worried that maybe the quality of teaching had not improved since. Hearing otherwise though is nice to know.

So I saw the post on last years thread that the supplemental application was available before they sent out an e-mail to everyone. I went to NSU's website and went under Admissions Procedure and then on the right clicked on the Webstar and filled out the supplemental application. I was about to submit when I realized that this could be bad b/c I submitted my AACOMAS 6/10 but haven't been verified yet (I suspect in the next day or two I will be) and my info hasn't been released to schools. Before I pay the $50 (boo to no fee waiver), does anyone think this application won't count since I haven't been released to schools yet? I don't want to submit and pay only to have it not count. Thanks!!

So I saw the post on last years thread that the supplemental application was available before they sent out an e-mail to everyone. I went to NSU's website and went under Admissions Procedure and then on the right clicked on the Webstar and filled out the supplemental application. I was about to submit when I realized that this could be bad b/c I submitted my AACOMAS 6/10 but haven't been verified yet (I suspect in the next day or two I will be) and my info hasn't been released to schools. Before I pay the $50 (boo to no fee waiver), does anyone think this application won't count since I haven't been released to schools yet? I don't want to submit and pay only to have it not count. Thanks!!

Don't waste your $50 yet. In all reality, it will not matter if you are the 5th person to submit your primaries rather than the 1st before anyone gets their apps released. I can only see this hurting your application in that it just might slow the application process down. Just save your answers until you're app is released and then if you're comfortable with filling it out before the secondary invite, go ahead :)

looks like secondary emails are going out

I just received my secondary invite via email. It basically asks for a list of your E.C's. How are you guys filling it out? Looks like it could just be copied and pasted from the aacomas, but I don't want to be the only one who does that :)

I just received my secondary invite via email. It basically asks for a list of your E.C's. How are you guys filling it out? Looks like it could just be copied and pasted from the aacomas, but I don't want to be the only one who does that :)

thats what i did.. i little editing not much

is the secondary email the NSU AACOMAS Service Application Receipt? In it, it says "
Dear Applicant:

The Office of Admissions at Nova Southeastern University's (NSU) College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM) has recently received your application from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Services (AACOMAS). NSU-COM requires each applicant to complete an NSU Admission Application and to pay a $50 nonrefundable application fee.

We encourage you to review the application process by visiting the website at www.medicine.nova.edu and completing the NSU online admissions application at https://webstar.nova.edu/pls/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon. "

No where does it say secondary or supplemental so I'm assuming no but the last thing I want to do is mess something up.

Thanks

is the secondary email the NSU AACOMAS Service Application Receipt? In it, it says "
Dear Applicant:

The Office of Admissions at Nova Southeastern University’s (NSU) College of Osteopathic Medicine (NSU-COM) has recently received your application from the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Services (AACOMAS). NSU-COM requires each applicant to complete an NSU Admission Application and to pay a $50 nonrefundable application fee.

We encourage you to review the application process by visiting the website at www.medicine.nova.edu and completing the NSU online admissions application at https://webstar.nova.edu/pls/PROD/bwskalog.P_DispLoginNon. "

No where does it say secondary or supplemental so I'm assuming no but the last thing I want to do is mess something up.

Thanks

Ok, so the question I have is about "level of responsibility" in the "work experience" and "health-related activities": At my job I'm just a tech, no responsibility other than what I'm told to do... in my health-related volunteering, I've had some responsibility, and in my health-related jobs, again, I show up and do as I'm told basically... What do I put for this "level of responsibility" info...

Ok, so the question I have is about "level of responsibility" in the "work experience" and "health-related activities": At my job I'm just a tech, no responsibility other than what I'm told to do... in my health-related volunteering, I've had some responsibility, and in my health-related jobs, again, I show up and do as I'm told basically... What do I put for this "level of responsibility" info...

You write down the more impressive things you've done. You're not telling the plain-vanilla truth here, if you know what I mean

You write down the more impressive things you've done. You're not telling the plain-vanilla truth here, if you know what I mean

I haven't submitted it yet, but since it just asks for basics, I put "non-managerial" in the info, it basically runs like this: 04/1997-04/1999, phlebotomist/medical-historian, non-managerial, 25

Should I do something else? I'm not sure, I don't get why they don't just ask for a resume. Or use the AACOMAS info, it's all in there...

I am writing a simplified version of what I put in AACOMAS for "list of responsibilities" because I guess I would rather be safe and explain a bit rather than too short. :confused:

But it says 'level of responsibility' which implies management/non-management... Or to me it does

I think they are expecting most of these jobs to be non-management...unless you have a degree in another health care field. I don't know, but I do know that a lot of secondaries are repetitive of AACOMAS.

That was the best secondary ever. All done and now I wait anxiously for the interview invite....all my toes, fingers, and sarcomeres crossed...

did you guys send ur letters? i have 5 and I send all of em (one committee, two physican, two faculty). i hope i didnt do the wrong thing

did you guys send ur letters? i have 5 and I send all of em (one committee, two physican, two faculty). i hope i didnt do the wrong thing

I sent mine already through Interfolio (4 letters)

question:

when i go to the 'application summary' part of the app....

nothing has been received (aacomas app, mcat score, transcripts)... i'm sending my LORs tomorrow via interfolio....

shouldn't the stuff be received? I submitted the secondary today

does shadowing count as one of our significant health care related activities? Or do they only mean like volunteering and working...?

To you guys getting the secondary, have you submitted all of your letters and your MCAT score or do you get a secondary email after you're verified?

I finished my secondary application and sent all my LOR's to NSU, but I'm having an issue submitting the secondary app. When I click on submit payment, I get an error message that says web page is not available. Anyone else having this problem? I tried 2 different computers and I got same thing on both

Hello my name is Lobna I just graduated from the BMS program in May and will still be living in south florida. Im currently looking for a trustworthy roommate i will be moving to a 2 bedroom 2 bath in the miramar / pembroke pines area which is about 10mins from NSU and extremely close to all major highways. Please let me know if you can help me get the word out or if you know anyone in the program who is also looking for a roommate. contact me at [email protected]