NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone that was lucky enough to get accepted,

would you mind posting your stats? I'm about to apply there and was just trying to see where I sat as far as stats and whatnot. Thanks!

cGPA 3.59 sGPA 3.67 MCAT 32

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted chicka chickaaaa! 27M 3.44cGPA 3.30 sGPA good luck for everyone with interviews!

Congrats on all of the acceptances everyone!! :)

How long were your interviews? I heard the interview process isn't too stressful... although I'm getting nervous for my interview 9/29!

Will be great to meet everyone!

Didn't get in. Guess I'm that 10% that doesn't get accepted. I'll give them a call to see what I need to improve.

Got put on the alternate list, really puts the pressure for upcoming interviews.

Congrats on those who got in though!

Didn't get in. Guess I'm that 10% that doesn't get accepted. I'll give them a call to see what I need to improve.

Got put on the alternate list, really puts the pressure for upcoming interviews.

Congrats on those who got in though!

Do u mind sharing your stats?

Do u mind sharing your stats?

Not at all.

3.3 gpa, 3.17 science, 31 mcat. Besides the obvious increase in gpa, not sure what else I could do. Maybe I said something wrong during the interview.

Not at all.

3.3 gpa, 3.17 science, 31 mcat. Besides the obvious increase in gpa, not sure what else I could do. Maybe I said something wrong during the interview.

Wow I would def call them ASAP. Speak to Anastasia, she's been pretty helpful with me. I can't imagine your gpa was a deal breaker with that mcat score.. Unless, like you said, you said the wrong thing... Do you remember if your interview went well?

Wow I would def call them ASAP. Speak to Anastasia, she's been pretty helpful with me. I can't imagine your gpa was a deal breaker with that mcat score.. Unless, like you said, you said the wrong thing... Do you remember if your interview went well?

Yeah, I'm going to call them up tomorrow morning to see what's up with my app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I'm going to call them up tomorrow morning to see what's up with my app.

It's def not your gpa because that gpa got you the invite in the first place. I would say your stats are fine. Sorry to hear... Keep us updated.

Congrats on all of the acceptances everyone!! :)

How long were your interviews? I heard the interview process isn't too stressful... although I'm getting nervous for my interview 9/29!

Will be great to meet everyone!

Mine was about 20-25 minutes. I lucked out and got a really warm interviewer. By pure luck, her son had a very similar background as me and is on the same path (same alma mater as me, currently a physician).

Got the acceptance letter yesterday! 3.6, 27N. Tough interviewer for me, but I guess I did well. It was almost like the interviewer was trying to make me crack, but you can't crack this
cool.gif

I just talked to admissions about my waitlist. They said there was nothing negative written about my application file and nothing explicit about why I was put on the list. Because of this, they speculate it must have been my interview.

I just talked to admissions about my waitlist. They said there was nothing negative written about my application file and nothing explicit about why I was put on the list. Because of this, they speculate it must have been my interview.

Well try not to get too down. You're probably pretty high on the waitlist having interviewed so early so you've still got a decent shot. Just try to put it out of your head and do the best you can on any future interviews. Best of luck to you.

Weird....One would think admissions would have a record of the notes written by the interviewers to confirm if it was indeed the interview.

Interviewing here first week of October. Super pumped. How long do they take to send out acceptances after your interview??

For all current NSUCOM students, how do you like your experience so far at NSU? Do you feel you are getting a good preparation for necessary skills like physical exams? How about preparation for the COMLEX? Do they provide you with prep materials for the COMLEX? (like FirstAid, Kaplan, etc.).

Also, how do you like the hybrid half lecture half case-based learning? is the case based learning challenging and helpful?

Is there anything you don't like (other than the tuition)? and Why?

Thanks for all of the insight!

Interviewing here first week of October. Super pumped. How long do they take to send out acceptances after your interview??
I interviewed 8/30 and received my acceptance on 9/19. So about 2 weeks. Good luck! :)

anyone interviewed 9/8 hear back yet?
So I'm pretty sure the committee met for the first time on 9/2 to go over all completed interviews. I interviewed on 9/1 but my interviewer forgot to sign off on my form (not sure what that means) but I will be reviewed the next time they meet

Last edited:
I interviewed 8/30 and received my acceptance on 9/19. So about 2 weeks. Good luck! :)

Awesome. Thanks for the reply what were your stats like if you don't mind. I think I'm fine with a 28Q and 3.67 but I know being from KY and having no state ties has to hurt some.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply what were your stats like if you don't mind. I think I'm fine with a 28Q and 3.67 but I know being from KY and having no state ties has to hurt some.
Not at all; 3.5sGPA and 30R MCAT. I could be wrong, but I don't think not having any state ties will hurt you at all, especially with NSU being a private institution. I'm from CA and have zero ties to FL.

I think two people have already stated they have been accepted with a 25 and 27 mcat

Accepted!!! :D:D:D
Took a few extra days to reach the west coast, woohoo!!! Interviewed on 9/1

So I'm pretty sure the committee met for the first time on 9/2 to go over all completed interviews. I interviewed on 9/1 but my interviewer forgot to sign off on my form (not sure what that means) but I will be reviewed the next time they meet, which "will be in early October. As a result, you should receive a decision regarding your status no later than the week of October 17, 2011. I apologize for any inconvenience this change may have caused you" It seems as if they only meet once a month, so your group (which is the second interviewed group to get reviewed) will probably be reviewed early October and decision by Oct 17.

Sorry to hear that... I really thought we had a good bunch of interviewees on 9/1 so hopefully you'll get good news soon.

Congratulations to all the acceptances!

For all current NSUCOM students, how do you like your experience so far at NSU? Do you feel you are getting a good preparation for necessary skills like physical exams? How about preparation for the COMLEX? Do they provide you with prep materials for the COMLEX? (like FirstAid, Kaplan, etc.).

Also, how do you like the hybrid half lecture half case-based learning? is the case based learning challenging and helpful?

Is there anything you don't like (other than the tuition)? and Why?

Thanks for all of the insight!

A lot of this I can't answer yet from personal experience. I really like NSU so far, but it hasn't even been 2 months, so we're just in the middle of our first round of (real) exams. We've already had a simulated patient exam and started IGCs (spending a few hours with a doctor in their office/hospital/clinic) so I can tell you that I feel like I'm already getting pretty good physical exam/history taking preparation.

Other than that, I know we'll get Comlex prep books, but I'm not sure which ones yet (although I'm pretty sure the library has the whole First Aid series available online). The case-based learning seems like an interesting idea...but we haven't had it yet :rolleyes:. The first few classes of Foundations talk about stuff like professionalism to give us a chance to learn the basic science information we need before we get into the case-based stuff, which I think we start this week or next week.

The only thing I don't like so far is that the study rooms by the Health Professions Building fill up really quickly when there are M1, M2 and multiple other exams in the same week (Pharmacy I think, and maybe another group too).

Good luck with everything, and hope I see some of you in the next few months when I start giving tours.

Congratulations to all the acceptances!

A lot of this I can't answer yet from personal experience. I really like NSU so far, but it hasn't even been 2 months, so we're just in the middle of our first round of (real) exams. We've already had a simulated patient exam and started IGCs (spending a few hours with a doctor in their office/hospital/clinic) so I can tell you that I feel like I'm already getting pretty good physical exam/history taking preparation.

Other than that, I know we'll get Comlex prep books, but I'm not sure which ones yet (although I'm pretty sure the library has the whole First Aid series available online). The case-based learning seems like an interesting idea...but we haven't had it yet :rolleyes:. The first few classes of Foundations talk about stuff like professionalism to give us a chance to learn the basic science information we need before we get into the case-based stuff, which I think we start this week or next week.

The only thing I don't like so far is that the study rooms by the Health Professions Building fill up really quickly when there are M1, M2 and multiple other exams in the same week (Pharmacy I think, and maybe another group too).

Good luck with everything, and hope I see some of you in the next few months when I start giving tours.

Study rooms aren't bad! Just go to the annex or the sherman library

Do you think my MCAT score, 26Q (V6, B10, P10) will cut me off from secondary application and interview invitations? I haven't added this school yet, however my AACOMAS has been verified already. I am thinking of adding this school, but I don't want to waste the money if my verbal score will cut me out. Anyone has any suggestion? By the way, my cGPA is 3.93 and sGPA is 3.95. I am Arizona resident with permanent residency and an immigrant from Korea seven years ago. I am not sure if this background will hopefully explain my low score on verbal.Which school do you think it is better between TUNCOM and NSU-COM?

So I got a request for official transcripts in my email today, but have yet to recieve any feedback from my 9/7 interview.

Good News, Bad News, Indifferent?

So I got a request for official transcripts in my email today, but have yet to recieve any feedback from my 9/7 interview.

Probably good considering they only ask for transcripts if you're accepted. But then again their whole email system/webstar program is weird. i think definitely not bad though

I called admissions and they told me I'm accepted :) I interviewed on Aug 30 but have not received the letter yet

I just called them, they said official transcripts for for enrollment purposes, so its only needed for those who are accepted

I've been accepted and they haven't requested my transcripts yet..? Anyone else?

I've been accepted and they haven't requested my transcripts yet..? Anyone else?

Your acceptance packet in the mail should include a request for official transcript(s) and signed technical standards form.

Your acceptance packet in the mail should include a request for official transcript(s) and signed technical standards form.

Do you know when they are due? It says 90 days from the "date of registration"? Only reason I ask is because the deposit is not due until December.

would state ties be beneficial to get in to nsu or do they dont really care? i have cousins who are doctors and live and practice in florida for example

i just updated my aacomas info, i have a 3.53 sci gpa and 28 mcat (10 bio 10 ps 8 verbal) so should i wait til next cycle to apply early or apply now?

I am thinking of adding NSU-COM to my verified AACOMAS. Should I apply with sGPA 3.95 cGPA 3.93 with MCAT 26Q (V6 P10 B10)? Also, I only have two science faculty letters with MD letter. This school requires a letter from a liberal arts professor. If I don't have this letter, I can't apply here, right? Should I apply still or is it too late for this application cycle? Let me hear your opinions.

I am thinking of adding NSU-COM to my verified AACOMAS. Should I apply with sGPA 3.95 cGPA 3.93 with MCAT 26Q (V6 P10 B10)? Also, I only have two science faculty letters with MD letter. This school requires a letter from a liberal arts professor. If I don't have this letter, I can't apply here, right? Should I apply still or is it too late for this application cycle? Let me hear your opinions.

Do you have a third science letter? That could count as a liberal arts.

I only sent 2 science letters and one MD letter and I got an interview... I recently sent a DO letter though so I'm not sure if they're still going to make me submit another letter