NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
omg I thought this would be the easiest to find flights for, but it is actually the hardest for me..even though its the closest. Does anyone know what time the interview day ends? They need to send this confirmation e-mail so I can book flights!

Members don't see this ad.

when you guys sign onto webstar to see all your information do you also get a section where it states the status of application?
Mine does not state any status updates just general information and requirements.

thanks

Last edited:
when you guys sign onto webstar to see all your information do you also get a section where it states the status of application?
Mine does not state any status updates just general information and requirements.

thanks

I didn't get any updates in the portal when I got my interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get any updates in the portal when I got my interview.

I wasn't referring to when people started getting interviews. I just meant in general, do people have a section where it states an application status.

ie. a couple of days ago I called and asked what my status was and they said i was "decision pending" (but there isn't anything like that anywhere on my portal to follow).

I wasn't referring to when people started getting interviews. I just meant in general, do people have a section where it states an application status.

ie. a couple of days ago I called and asked what my status was and they said i was "decision pending" (but there isn't anything like that anywhere on my portal to follow).

Oh, nope I do not have a status section on my application.

From US News,

For the fall 2009, 2,651 applied, 508 were interviewed and 458 were accepted. 235 ultimately matriculated.

it's the u.s. news & world report book, 4th ed.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Even if those statistics are from two years ago, they shouldnt be TOO far off (I REALLY want to go to NSU lol)

Question, did you put on your app that you were taking another mcat? Because I have one score in close to yours but just took the MCAT again last week and I was wondering if they're gonna wait for my new score to come in or if they're going to review me anyways. thanks

Hey yeah I did, did you? Congrats on having it over with, I cannnnot wait til next Friday :soexcited:

I got an invite! I tried calling today to schedule but I was on hold for at least 15 minutes, during my lunch break, so I had to give up and go back to work. Can someone let me know how you chose which date (i.e., was there a choice of 8/23 vs. 8/30) and if any of those dates are completely booked yet? AHHH

I picked the 30th just because I'll be in Colorado before then and China right after haha but they only do it on Tues and Thursdays, up to Sept 8th or 13th I believe. At least that's the impression I got (for the first round of interviews)

Members don't see this ad :)
omg I thought this would be the easiest to find flights for, but it is actually the hardest for me..even though its the closest. Does anyone know what time the interview day ends? They need to send this confirmation e-mail so I can book flights!

Are you from Bmore? I'm flying out of BWI at like 8:20p and then flying back two days later in the AM. I asked the woman what the time frame was and she just said "it's an all day event"...

I am technically from Baltimore but I live in NC so Im flying out of RDU which is a tiny airport compared to BWI. Im ok on flights there its coming back Im having issues with..I wish they would give us a specific time. I might try calling tomorrow bc I looked at last years thread and it looked like the day ended around 2..
also I need to fly out that night because I really cant take an extra day off work..

Hey yeah I did, did you? Congrats on having it over with, I cannnnot wait til next Friday :soexcited:

Yea I did too, well let's hope they like my first score and give me an interview invite. But yea it feels great to be done, now just gotta finish up these secondaries then I'll be free......until school starts up again haha

where is everyone staying for the interview? mine is 8/30

I have an interview as well! Well I tried calling this morning and I guess no one is in the office on the weekends, but anyone going down to Florida from the Chicago Area?

I have an interview as well! Well I tried calling this morning and I guess no one is in the office on the weekends, but anyone going down to Florida from the Chicago Area?

i am from chicago too, but i havent received an interview invite yet and its freaking me out. i was complete very early like 6/27, and they r still reviewing my application. did u get an e-mail invite and what were ur stats, if u dont mind sharing?

First post and First Intreview at Nova on 9/6.

For current students there is there anywhere around campus that you wouldn't live in?

I know its a little cart before horsish, but I am brining my family with me and want to start scouting places if I get accepted.:xf:

From US News,

For the fall 2009, 2,651 applied, 508 were interviewed and 458 were accepted. 235 ultimately matriculated.

Now to dampen the mood

Now there are 229 of us, consisting of 6-10 people who were originally in the class of 2012. It would've been 7-11 people but 1 person died during 1st year.

1 person was dismissed after 1st year for failing almost all his second semester classes. 2-3 people withdrew from medical school, and the rest were held back a year.

In the class of 2014 (the year behind me), at least 8 people were placed on suicide watch due to the ridiculous logistics of the curriculum.

That's the dark side of it.

To sum it up.
1st year: Boring and lame
2nd year: Interesting and relevant but still lame
3rd year: So far, awesome

M1-M2 are very stressful. Make it past that and Step 1 and you're golden.

First post and First Intreview at Nova on 9/6.

For current students there is there anywhere around campus that you wouldn't live in?

I know its a little cart before horsish, but I am brining my family with me and want to start scouting places if I get accepted.:xf:

Anywhere that isn't gated or doesn't have an alarm system or a guard at the front desk.

It's not violent, but there are burglaries and I prefer to live in a place that lessens the possibility.

That being said, most students live in Sundance, Sunforest, Palm Trace, and Royal Grand

If you can swing it, look around Aventura. It's a bit of a drive from Davie (20 min) but your family will thank you for it.

Now to dampen the mood

Now there are 229 of us, consisting of 6-10 people who were originally in the class of 2012. It would've been 7-11 people but 1 person died during 1st year.

1 person was dismissed after 1st year for failing almost all his second semester classes. 2-3 people withdrew from medical school, and the rest were held back a year.

In the class of 2014 (the year behind me), at least 8 people were placed on suicide watch due to the ridiculous logistics of the curriculum.

That's the dark side of it.

To sum it up.
1st year: Boring and lame
2nd year: Interesting and relevant but still lame
3rd year: So far, awesome

M1-M2 are very stressful. Make it past that and Step 1 and you're golden.

Damn dude. That's crazy.

Care to extrapolate upon the "logistics" issue? I just received my interview invite e-mail on the 5th, but have yet to call them regarding scheduling. Although I am excited about this being my first interview invite, I am also curious as to what you are referring.

Admin loves tinkering with the curriculum, and in the class of 2014's case the curriculum was tweaked to cram too much into too little time during first year. Test averages plummeted and people started going crazy.

They haven't changed much of 2nd year for them though. Maybe admin is actually learning from their mistakes. Go to the interview and ask your tour guide about it.

Admin loves tinkering with the curriculum, and in the class of 2014's case the curriculum was tweaked to cram too much into too little time during first year. Test averages plummeted and people started going crazy.

They haven't changed much of 2nd year for them though. Maybe admin is actually learning from their mistakes. Go to the interview and ask your tour guide about it.

When you change it up every year you are bound to have a bad one every now and then. The good thing is that they recognized the problem and changed it fast. Our curriculum (2015) is nothing like 2014's. I also get the impression that as a class 2014 was not a good group to try to stress. We've been hearing a lot from the admin during orientation about "class personalities" and from what I've seen so far 2014 is best described as incredibly anxious. Then again, maybe there is something of a chicken and egg thing going on there.

Okay so I know this isn't a real estate board, but looking online I am seeing 1-2 bedroom condos for 60K is that for real?

Could you buy a condo and live do there for like $250 per month when they are renting stuff for 600-800?

When you change it up every year you are bound to have a bad one every now and then. The good thing is that they recognized the problem and changed it fast. Our curriculum (2015) is nothing like 2014's. I also get the impression that as a class 2014 was not a good group to try to stress. We've been hearing a lot from the admin during orientation about "class personalities" and from what I've seen so far 2014 is best described as incredibly anxious. Then again, maybe there is something of a chicken and egg thing going on there.

Glad it's changed.

Individually, class of 2014 has some cool people. As a group I've heard them described as demanding and aggressive. They've described my class as intimidating to talk to. Hah, okay.

Admin shouldn't talk, when you put that much **** on anybody's shoulders, they're going to get anxious and stressed. Their schedule was way more ridiculous than my own during 1st year, and I was on the edge of losing my mind back then. I really do not like the way they schedule the 1st year curriculum. I think if it was systems throughout without all the bull**** fluff classes (Hello MHS, Hello 1st year/1st semester PCM) we'd be graduating rock stars from top to bottom. Instead their solution is to pile on classes over basic science classes, mandate attendance, and then people start thinking about offing themselves.

Good luck this year. 1st year here is hands down the worst year of the curriculum. 2nd year is very integrative and hands on and 3rd year so far has been amazing, but I lucked out on the hospital I chose. I'm one month into clinicals, but as far as pathology is concerned I've seen (I'm listing the winners here) a type A aortic dissection that dissected up the brachiocephalic (and the guy lived!), a lymphoma patient with a platelet count of 10 and a completely necrosed tongue, a spectrum of ekg pathology, a common femoral aneurysm, a penile implant, metastatic breast cancer, metastatic prostate cancer, and a crazy alcoholic man who busted open a window with his head (I was there). As far as my involvement I'm treated as part of the team. My notes are charted, the attendings ask about patients and trust what I've told them. In the same hospital, one of my classmates a week into clinicals was given the scalpel on an OB case and asked to make the first incision. "How deep do I know how to go?" he asked. "I gave you a job to do, do it with confidence," the attending told him.

In conclusion, **** 1st year and even though its more interesting, **** 2nd year. Just do your best to push through 1st year, enjoy your summer vacation, and afterwards your training begins.

Okay so I know this isn't a real estate board, but looking online I am seeing 1-2 bedroom condos for 60K is that for real?

Could you buy a condo and live do there for like $250 per month when they are renting stuff for 600-800?
Yes. There's a huge incongruity between sale prices and rental prices here.

I wonder how many applicants will be at each interview day?

Got my interview invite. Going to call tomorrow to schedule. Those stats give me hope to be accepted! Now to book flights and such... *sigh*

Glad it's changed.

Individually, class of 2014 has some cool people. As a group I've heard them described as demanding and aggressive. They've described my class as intimidating to talk to. Hah, okay.

Admin shouldn't talk, when you put that much **** on anybody's shoulders, they're going to get anxious and stressed. Their schedule was way more ridiculous than my own during 1st year, and I was on the edge of losing my mind back then. I really do not like the way they schedule the 1st year curriculum. I think if it was systems throughout without all the bull**** fluff classes (Hello MHS, Hello 1st year/1st semester PCM) we'd be graduating rock stars from top to bottom. Instead their solution is to pile on classes over basic science classes, mandate attendance, and then people start thinking about offing themselves.

Good luck this year. 1st year here is hands down the worst year of the curriculum. 2nd year is very integrative and hands on and 3rd year so far has been amazing, but I lucked out on the hospital I chose. I'm one month into clinicals, but as far as pathology is concerned I've seen (I'm listing the winners here) a type A aortic dissection that dissected up the brachiocephalic (and the guy lived!), a lymphoma patient with a platelet count of 10 and a completely necrosed tongue, a spectrum of ekg pathology, a common femoral aneurysm, a penile implant, metastatic breast cancer, metastatic prostate cancer, and a crazy alcoholic man who busted open a window with his head (I was there). As far as my involvement I'm treated as part of the team. My notes are charted, the attendings ask about patients and trust what I've told them. In the same hospital, one of my classmates a week into clinicals was given the scalpel on an OB case and asked to make the first incision. "How deep do I know how to go?" he asked. "I gave you a job to do, do it with confidence," the attending told him.

In conclusion, **** 1st year and even though its more interesting, **** 2nd year. Just do your best to push through 1st year, enjoy your summer vacation, and afterwards your training begins.

Where are you doing your clinicals? Sounds like at least your hospital is awesome. (feel free to PM if you like)

Hi all. This is my first time posting on SDN but I've enjoyed coming here to answer a lot of questions during the application process. I've got my first interview at Nova on 9/1 and I was wondering if any of the current students, or people who have already interviewed had any advice for a successful interview. Any input would be appreciated. Good luck to everybody!

Hey everyone! I got an interview invite this morning and called them 4 hours later and the earliest date they had was either September 20th or 22nd. I've been reading last year's message board and unless they've changed things, it might be a good thing to call as soon as possible if you get an invite/might want to come here. A good number of people called a week after getting the email and were told that all the spots for the year had been filled up. Comfort Suites Inn is apparently 5-7 minutes away from the school and also offers free shuttles to/from the airport and to/from NSU (around ~$87/night). Hope this is helpful for someone!

That said, is anyone going to be there on 09/22? :]

Anyone know when it'll be over? Just wondering if I'd make an evening flight back to MD, or if I should stay the night again.

Anyone know when it'll be over? Just wondering if I'd make an evening flight back to MD, or if I should stay the night again.
The schedule says that the events wrap up with an optional campus tour (2pm-3pm).

Hello, I was wondering if NSU screens or not? I was verified with AACOMAS about two weeks ago, but I still haven't received a secondary invite yet. My MCAT scores aren't in yet since I took it on July 16th. Anyone help would be appreciated. Thanks!

is there anyone here who had their file complete like the end of June and still hasnt heard anything from NSU....i am guessing this quietness is a pre-interview rejection?

Hey for people looking for a place to stay...the Comfort Suites Airport West that people stayed at last year is now a Holiday Inn Express. Im interviewing 8/23 so for 8/22 with the NSU discount its $69 a night. They have a shuttle that will take you to and from the school and to and from the airport, but you have to call it. I dont want to pay to rent a car so I think I'm going to book there tomorrow...the lady on the phone tonight wasn't the most helpful, but she at least answered my questions.

is there anyone here who had their file complete like the end of June and still hasnt heard anything from NSU....i am guessing this quietness is a pre-interview rejection?

looking at your post history, if you indicated on your AACOMAS app that you are retaking the MCAT on sep. 2nd, they may be waiting for that.