NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone else interviewing on 9/6? I will be driving down the night before. Prolly will stay at the holiday inn. PM me if you wanna meet up that night and kill some time. I've never been to Ft. Lauderdale before so it would be fun to not be cooped up in a hotel the whole night.

Also, judging from the interview feedback, it seems like they mainly ask what would we do to change/improve healthcare and why. Seem about right?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys think it would be bad to tell them that I've already been accepted at lecom-b?

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be giving some of the interview tours on Sep. 1!

My advice is that you guys don't stress the interview. You wouldn't be getting an interview if NSU did not want you. As long as you aren't completely antisocial or an uber tool you will do just fine!

I will be giving some of the interview tours on Sep. 1!

My advice is that you guys don't stress the interview. You wouldn't be getting an interview if NSU did not want you. As long as you aren't completely antisocial or an uber tool you will do just fine!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm really looking forward to actually seeing the campus, from the pictures it looks gorgeous.

Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm really looking forward to actually seeing the campus, from the pictures it looks gorgeous.

I just drove around it today. It really is a beautiful campus.

If anyone is at the holiday inn (a few mins away from campus) and wants to meet up, send me a message! I just got here

Good luck at your interview!! Mine's on 10/13. :)

Let us know how it goes! :thumbup:

If anyone is still looking for a ride tomorrow from the Holiday Inn (2540 Davie Rd) to Nova for the interview, you can meet me in the lobby (just look for a dark gray suit and purple tie) at 8:05 am. I have 3 spots left

If anyone is still looking for a ride tomorrow from the Holiday Inn (2540 Davie Rd) to Nova for the interview, you can meet me in the lobby (just look for a dark gray suit and purple tie) at 8:05 am. I have 3 spots left

Gray suit, purple tie. Very sharp, sir!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!! The campus is gorgeous, the students were really friendly (a lot of them came up and said good luck to us when we were standing around in our suits), and the interview is not stressful at all.

so i am a little confused....do we need to print out and mail the signature sheet or was typing in our name at the end of the secondary the same thing?

so i am a little confused....do we need to print out and mail the signature sheet or was typing in our name at the end of the secondary the same thing?

I never mailed anything, so I assume its the typing the name.

Who else is interviewing 9/1? We should grab dinner tomorrow 8/31! PM me?

Last edited:
I'm interviewing on 9/1. Ahh so nervous! I thought going in with an acceptance would take the pressure off, but I guess interviews are going to be stressful no matter what haha. Can someone link me to the common interview questions page? Thanks!!

No reason to study or rehearse answers. Just go in and be yourself. Admissions people can spot BS a mile away.

Anyone know if NSU has a minimum cutoff for each section of the MCAT, or if they just screen based off the overall score?

Hey everyone, just wanted to give a brief outline of my interview experience today!

We started off with a short 15 minute video followed by a short explanation of the curriculum by the associate dean. Then we were broken up into two groups, one toured the building while the other stayed back to interview. After which, we had lunch and the vice dean of the university spoke with us for a few. Then those that were interested in a bus tour around campus stayed back while everyone else left.

As far as the interview itself, we were called individually. There were two groups of interviewers, my interviewer was alone since the person that was supposed to be with him had a meeting. I was basically asked to introduce myself and talk a little about myself. Most of my questions were actually app specific. He asked me to talk a little about some volunteer work I had done that he found very interesting. He did ask general questions as well such as how I felt about the current state of healthcare and why I was interested in Nova.

Any other questions, just ask!

I'm not going to repeat what happened because I think its mostly covered here but it really is a chill interview and a nice environment, the only complaint I have is we only really talked to M1s...and they havent really been there very long

I'm not going to repeat what happened because I think its mostly covered here but it really is a chill interview and a nice environment, the only complaint I have is we only really talked to M1s...and they havent really been there very long

I'm an M2. What do you want to know?

I'm an M2. What do you want to know?

Are you going to be applying to the omm or research fellowships they offer? I am interested to learn more about these programs. We glossed over it a little during the interview day, but how competitive are these programs?

So... when do we hear back from the admissions committee whether we are accepted or not?

So... when do we hear back from the admissions committee whether we are accepted or not?

Not sure... the admissions counselor said at the end of Sept but I think one of the interviewers told an interviewee that the admissions committee is meeting this Friday? They usually hand out decisions right after the meeting

Not sure... the admissions counselor said at the end of Sept but I think one of the interviewers told an interviewee that the admissions committee is meeting this Friday? They usually hand out decisions right after the meeting

Oh wow, thanks for the information. Do you know if they send out decisions via snail mail or email?

Webster status will be the first thing to change. Last year it took 2-3 weeks to find out their decision.

I think it changes to like provisionally accepted or something if you get accepted. They make it sound sort of of like you aren't in for sure but you are.

I guess I was just curious about how things run day to day and one of the M1s said he still gets lost going to classes sometimes so I didnt always have confidence in everything they said. Also, when I asked about things like Spanish a lot of the time they simply said they didnt know (which is better than making up an answer for sure). Everyone seemed really happy and excited to be there though, so I would assume that overall it would have been really positive regardless of who we talked to. I hope we hear soon (2 weeks rather than 4), I am so ready to put my deposit in lol!

Webster status will be the first thing to change. Last year it took 2-3 weeks to find out their decision.

I think it changes to like provisionally accepted or something if you get accepted. They make it sound sort of of like you aren't in for sure but you are.

At the interview they made it sound like they weren't going to use the portal to let us know... I could be mistaken though

At the interview they made it sound like they weren't going to use the portal to let us know... I could be mistaken though
You will get an email and you will also get snail mail after but it showed up first on webstar :)

For us at least, it was posted on webstar 3 days before we got our email.

does anyone know where to find the addresses for thank you notes? or are you all just sending it as an email?

does anyone know where to find the addresses for thank you notes? or are you all just sending it as an email?

Did you interview yet? They gave us a paper with each of the interviews names and email address. I sent two - one to the interviewer and one to the lady who was in charge of our day from beginning to end. (she emailed me back, the MD did not haha)

I overheard the new head of admissions mention to Ellen about how she deactivated Webstar... I don't think they're using it this year. I could be wrong though.

Also has anyone figured out if Spanish is optional or required? I heard both on our interview day...

Also has anyone figured out if Spanish is optional or required? I heard both on our interview day...

The current m1s are not taking it, but we don't have our schedule for next semester yet. You probably heard both because there hasn't necessarily been a decision made for 2016 yet. Also, as far as optional v required, if you ended up choosing not to take it you could find yourself regretting that decision come 3rd year, or even come preceptorship.

I want to take it. I hope they keep the class for our year because its something I really liked about the school. I think knowing it is important.

Spanish for 2015 is going to be online and taken at our leisure as a P/F course.
It is not activated yet but is supposed to be in January. Either way it won't be the way it was for 2014 which is what people seem to still like to whine about.

Has anyone been invited for an interview with a 25 on the MCAT??

I'm sure lots are. The average for the class of 2014 was 27

I sure hope you are right. That makes sense to me too, considering their average is 27 and people post all the time with MCATs of 29,30,31+ so I would assume that means 26's and 25's make it too, but in the last two years no one on SDN has posted getting an interview (at either NSU or LECOM-B) with a 25 and I am confused as to why. These are my #1 and #2 choices but I can't find any evidence that I will even be considered.

Has anyone been invited for an interview with a 25 on the MCAT??

according to US news, the average mcat @ nova is ~28; a 25 isn't too far from that. i'm sure that there are a fair amount of ppl with 25's that get interviewed, although it's probably less than the number of ppl w/ 28+ that get interviewed. Also, I assume that most schools tend to interview higher stats ppl first

I have a 25 (11 ps, 6 vr, 8 bs) just interviewed this past tuesday. Cgpa 3.59 sgpa 3.48

i think i remember you from our interview day

I have a 25 (11 ps, 6 vr, 8 bs) just interviewed this past tuesday. Cgpa 3.59 sgpa 3.48

You just made my week. I got a 10vb/8ps/7bs (but previously had an 8 in bs). I've had my secondary in for months, so hopefully it's not too late for me to have a shot. I really want to go here. My gpa is a little lower than yours (3.49/3.3) but I work full time and my school is known for grade deflation. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Good luck to you!! I hope you get your acceptance back soon.

You just made my week. I got a 10vb/8ps/7bs (but previously had an 8 in bs). I've had my secondary in for months, so hopefully it's not too late for me to have a shot. I really want to go here. My gpa is a little lower than yours (3.49/3.3) but I work full time and my school is known for grade deflation. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Good luck to you!! I hope you get your acceptance back soon.
are we supposed to get a complete email or an under review email? I got an e-mail with my completed secondary attached and a email later that said they received my letter of rec

Thanks! Good luck to you too, ill keep you all posted

do they lock us out of webstar or am I just being an idiot and forgetting my pin...

Last edited: