NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted735168

Hello everyone,
Feel free to post comments/questions/inputs if you are applying to the 2016 cycle. Current Biomeds in the program browsing through, your input/tips will be greatly appreciated. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Atomicdaisy, thanks for taking the time to start this thread! I am so thankful NSU offers a program like this one. I will be applying soon. I am a non-trad student and this application represents a major career change for me.

I would greatly appreciate if any current/former MBS students out there will share their experiences about the program specifically level of difficulty, percentage of students (med track students) who successfully complete the program and matriculate into NSU-COM, and average MCAT/GPA of accepted students.

I also am super thankful NSU offers such an opportunity best of luck to all of us and if any previous MBS students could help us out with the application process and program details i'm sure we would all appreciate it. SO EXCITING!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my application around Jan 5th. Don't think they start reviewing until March?

Can anyone attest of the difficulty of getting 80% on every exam? What is the exact 1 year curriculum and are the exams curved?

Last edited:
I sent in my application around Jan 5th. Don't think they start reviewing until March?
That is correct. From reading through last year's post, it looked like they didn't start reviewing apps till much later than that.

Is it too late in the game to just start an application now? I'm unsure if its wort it.

Screw it applying anyway haha. To those of you who already applied: did anyone else have an extremely difficult time with the character counts on the "Program and Additional Information" section? 300 characters for health-care experience is extremely low... Please let me know just so I know I'm not going crazy, I'm struggling here.

Yeah, the character counter was problematic. I used abbreviations where appropriate and did not write in full sentences.

Yeah, the character counter was problematic. I used abbreviations where appropriate and did not write in full sentences.

Thanks for your response. I did the same. I was also pretty stingy on what I included and what I didn't include unfortunately.

Good luck to everyone applying to this program!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too late in the game to just start an application now? I'm unsure if its wort it.
I don't think it's late to apply. One of the admission counsellors did mention that out of about 3000 applicants last year only about 20 were accepted (15 med, and 5 dental) after nearly 70 or so were given interview invites. So the odds are pretty low, and depends on your application. Best of luck to those applying!

And if anyone hears anything on the status of their application, please keep the rest of us updated here.

Spoke to someone in the admissions counselor today and figured I'd pass along some info! She told me that interviews will start end of March and may go until June. She said about 40 students are accepted into the program, and this year about 6 seats will be reserved for Dental, rest for Med.

@atomicdaisy It seems like I was told totally different info! I was told today that less than 1000 people applied last cycle. Do you by any chance know who you spoke to?

Does anyone know what kind of students this school is looking for?

I've heard "high GPA low MCAT" but honestly I feel like it's a crap shoot with all of these programs lately.

how cool would it be if all of us got in and became best friends forever :)

Reactions: 4 users
@xx3344 hmmm those are very diff answers/stats. I got this from whoever answered the main hpd admissions line and transferred after I said MBS (didn't get a name)..... Still yet to hear directly from the admissions coordinator/director for the program. But I hope your info is correct which leaves more hope!

I think it's for high GPA low mcat and/or low GPA high mcat.... Showing potential in either of the 2 is what I got from browsing previous years threads. I do know it's highly competitive than other postbacc/SMP programs out there.

I've heard "high GPA low MCAT" but honestly I feel like it's a crap shoot with all of these programs lately.

Hey guys! Previous MBS here.

I didn't fit this criteria and still got in. While this may be true generally, it is definitely a case by case basis. Dr. Dribin (histology professor) runs the program and she is very good at determining who is and isn't a good fit for it.

If you're contemplating on applying, I say give it a shot, you have nothing to lose. It's definitely not too late to apply, however, I recommend getting your application in as soon as possible. The earlier the better.

Goodluck all, let me know if I can answer any questions

Hey guys! Previous MBS here.

I didn't fit this criteria and still got in. While this may be true generally, it is definitely a case by case basis. Dr. Dribin (histology professor) runs the program and she is very good at determining who is and isn't a good fit for it.

If you're contemplating on applying, I say give it a shot, you have nothing to lose. It's definitely not too late to apply, however, I recommend getting your application in as soon as possible. The earlier the better.

Goodluck all, let me know if I can answer any questions
Thanks so much for the info I appreciate it!

Did you end up getting into Nova's DO school? Or any school afterwards for that matter? How helpful was this program?

Thanks so much for the info I appreciate it!

Did you end up getting into Nova's DO school? Or any school afterwards for that matter? How helpful was this program?

I did end up matriculating into the DO school. I would say the majority of the students who do the MBS program end up in the DO (or Dental) program. Nova offers an (unspoken) 100% guarantee that if you can get at least a B or better in every class, you will matriculate into the M1 class the following year. That means no Cs. If you get one C, you get 1 more year to try. If you get 2 Cs, you're out.

When I applied, I had gotten into several other MBS programs, but I chose Nova bc of the strong linkage. It didn't make sense for me to spend all of that money, time and stress completing a program just to reapply broadly the following year. Plus, the fact that Nova gives you 2 years to try,gives you a huge cushion. Looking back, it was definitely the best decision that I made.

And yes, the program definitely prepared me well for the DO school bc I was taking the same courses as the first year M1s.

Last edited:
I want to go here so bad it hurts :( are you from Florida?
I did end up matriculating into the DO school. I would say the majority of the students who do the MBS program end up in the DO (or Dental) program. Nova offers an (unspoken) 100% guarantee that if you can get at least a B or better in every class, you will matriculate into the M1 class the following year. That means no Cs. If you get one C, you get 1 more year to try. If you get 2 Cs, you're out.

When I applied, I had gotten into several other MBS programs, but I chose Nova bc of the strong linkage. It didn't make sense for me to spend all of that money, time and stress completing a program just to reapply broadly the following year. Plus, the fact that Nova gives you 2 years to try,gives you a huge cushion. Looking back, it was definitely the best decision that I made.

And yes, the program definitely prepared me well for the DO school bc I was taking the same courses as the first year M1s.

Did you guys receive phone calls that you were completed?

Hi everyone. I'm glad this thread was started. Is anyone applying to other programs. I already put in my application for NSU which is my first choice. I applied to William Carey and Creighton.

Same here! Completed on fri 2/12. I am definitely going to look into some more programs. I hear Tulane, Barry, and Rutgers are great! Considering applying to those.
I did get a phone call saying app was complete!

is there a cutoff score for the mcat? i have a low score 491 and will be retaking in may but it'll be past the deadline. Is it worth applying?

I wrote to the IT department of the school and they were able to increase the character count for me from 200 to 600.

is there a cutoff score for the mcat? i have a low score 491 and will be retaking in may but it'll be past the deadline. Is it worth applying?
There doesn't seem to be a definite "cutoff," but I've heard that they are interested in "low MCAT/high GPA" students (but then again who knows lol). I guess it can't hurt to apply and stay hopeful! Also I would definitely make clear that you are retaking in May on your app.

I wrote to the IT department of the school and they were able to increase the character count for me from 200 to 600.
That's awesome! What number did you call? It seems like NOONE was able to help me with this.

Officially submitted my application! Good luck to everyone and may the force be with you :)

Does anyone know when Interview invites are generally sent out?

Hey guys current MBS here completing my 2nd semester. If you have any questions feel free to message me or reply to my thread. Best of luck!!

Last edited:
Hey guys current MBS here completing my 2nd semester. If you have any questions feel free to message me and or reply to my thread. Best of luck!!

1. Please give us your personal impression of the program?
2. What are some strong points?
3. How could they improve the program?
4. Please provide insight as to how difficult it is to compete with DO students for the 80%?
5. How is the comradery within the class?

Hey guys current MBS here completing my 2nd semester. If you have any questions feel free to message me and or reply to my thread. Best of luck!!

If you would please share your experiences so far with the program, specifically level of difficulty. Also, do you happen to know what percentage of past students (med track) successfully complete the program and matriculate into NSU-COM, as well as the average MCAT/GPA for students who have been accepted into the program?

1. Please give us your personal impression of the program?
2. What are some strong points?
3. How could they improve the program?
4. Please provide insight as to how difficult it is to compete with DO students for the 80%?
5. How is the comradery within the class?

These are some great questions :)
1. Since my first day at campus I felt right at home. Everyone was super welcoming, one of my first impressions in the interview is that everyone wanted to help, all the previous MBS were super encouraging as well as the interview committee. As far as the program, I think it is set up in such a way that you can succeed as long as you put the hard work in.
2. Strong points: Definitely the assistance you get from previous MBS and also the preparation you receive during the semester (tutoring, review sessions etc.). I cannot stress how extremely grateful I am for the support that we receive from the director, the previous MBS students and the professors. By the time you become an M1 you have all the tools you need to be successful in your M1 year and beyond.
3. As far as the MBS program I would not change anything, all the professors are extremely helpful - they want you to succeed as an MBS. The director of the program (Dr. Dribin) is fantastic and is extremely approachable, she is there for you 100%. As far as the actual medical school, the curriculum is extremely rigorous but I imagine that is to be expected as far as medical school is concerned. The MBS program will prepare you for the rigors of the years to come for sure.
4. The program is rigorous. Is it impossible? No. If you put the hard work and effort you will definitely see it pay off. The M1 students take a lot more classes than you do so in that sense you actually have an advantage. 80% and above is definitely within reach.
5. One of the things I actually love the most is the comradery within the MBS group. Because you are such a small group you end up becoming close, everyone works together and helps each other, they become your family away from home. I have met one of the most brilliant and awesome individuals in this program, both old MBS and new.

Hope this helps! Anything else let me know.

If you would please share your experiences so far with the program, specifically level of difficulty. Also, do you happen to know what percentage of past students (med track) successfully complete the program and matriculate into NSU-COM, as well as the average MCAT/GPA for students who have been accepted into the program?

Please see my post above :)
I do not know the exact percentages/stats unfortunately. However, if you receive 80% or above you are in, as of right now that stands. However, I always think it is important to bring up these questions in the interview to get your confirmation. In my interview it was verbally stated.

Hey guys- to anyone who applied to their DO program already this past cycle, they have all of your letters, MCAT scores, transcripts, and LORs. Just thought I'd put that out there because I made the mistake of spending $20 on transcripts only to find out the next day that my app was "complete" because they already had them on file lol. The requirements on the website were a little misleading. you should definitely call to double check!

That's awesome! What number did you call? It seems like NOONE was able to help me with this.
Having the same issue. It is very difficult to even follow their directions on listing the activities without more characters.

Having the same issue. It is very difficult to even follow their directions on listing the activities without more characters.
Agreed. They asked for more than the characters they provided you with. Try calling IT because it seems like they are capable of increasing your characters!

Agreed. They asked for more than the characters they provided you with. Try calling IT because it seems like they are capable of increasing your characters!
Thank you for the suggestion! I will try this out and can post back on how to get it done if all goes well!

Email Christine Cunningham, [email protected]
She responds quickly via phone, the number shows up as the main number for NSU so I can't provide you with a direct number.

Noones heard anything in regards to interviews right?

Noones heard anything in regards to interviews right?
Not a word yet, from the previous posts and previous threads it'll probably be another week or more.

I am confident I am one of the few that first submitted their application in January. This school is very bad with communication. I can't count how many times i call and left a voice mail and no one called me back. it is ridiculous.