NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Stay strong!!! You've made it this far which is awesome. Kudos to you.
Ha thanks :) Now, I'm just waiting to hear back!!! This is actually worse than anything I've gone through Ahhhhh lol :corny:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not easy sharing the following but here it goes:

I have a neuromuscular disorder, no cure but there are effective treatments for management. I did great the first two years of college graduating with honors with AA degree. Then, came the progressive onset of symptoms which included diplopia, dysarthria, generalized weakness, severe fatigue and dysphagia. I reached a point I could not communicate with others, swallow food, exercise, lift something as light as a toothbrush. I went years without having a diagnosis, saw multiple doctors who dismissed it as stress related after running a series of tests. I was finally diagnosed months after graduating which at that point, my grades had already suffered somewhat. Taking the MCAT can be highly stressful and stress only makes my condition worse, which is why I fell short every time. After finally being diagnosed, I underwent several treatments, including being hospitalized for weeks time for IV therapy. I saw no improvement and decided on surgical intervention. Turned out, a tumor was exacerbating my symptoms. Since the removal, I have improved drastically and have remained overall stable. I'm still under treatment but very minimal as I am currently asymptomatic for the last 2 years now. These past few years have been dedicated to working in healthcare, acquiring as much clinical experience as possible and to pay off treatment and surgical costs in the thousands. I have had no difficulties whatsoever working under stressful circumstances which has only reassured my capacity to handle the stresses of this program. And now, here I am, applying for the opportunity to prove that I can handle and succeed in medical school and this program is the bridge I need. My whole experience has given me plenty of time to reflect and prioritize the things that mean the most to me. It has also been insightful as to the kind of doctor I aspire to become to help others as I have personally experienced through a patient's eyes the process of being diagnosed, receiving treatments, the social, physical, emotional and psychological toll disease has on an individual. I have met doctors and other medical students through support groups with the same chronic condition and they are an example to me that I can definitely live a lifelong careers dedicated to helping others.
That just proves how strong you are. You got this, and everything else in life!
Hopefully we all get accepted and get to meet each other :)

Is it actually confirmed that they interview about 80 of us..?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else gotten interview invites since that first batch? Also has anyone applied through AACOMAS this cycle as well to Nova and got a "pending" status?

Anyone else gotten interview invites since that first batch? Also has anyone applied through AACOMAS this cycle as well to Nova and got a "pending" status?
I got an II in the first round and also received the "pending" status email yesterday after applying through ACCOMAS.

I got an II in the first round and also received the "pending" status email yesterday after applying through ACCOMAS.
Ok that makes me feel better, for some reason I thought the pending status might affect being considered for the masters program.

So, no one has heard anything again since Tuesday? Another long weekend... +pity+

Reactions: 2 users
Ok that makes me feel better, for some reason I thought the pending status might affect being considered for the masters program.
Not at all, actually irony is the day after I applied to the MBS program I got a call for NSUCOM interview... acceptance to one program will not decrease your chances of getting into the other...

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone!! Current MBS student, just wanted to wish you all the best of luck.. keep in mind this year there are more seats available ( so we have been told) somewhere around 40 or so. In the past there were very few seats available. This program is definitely a blessing in more ways than I can express. From my stats, I had a very high GPA and relatively high MCAT score (considered for the MBS program), and was told on interview day I should just reapply to medical school. You can imagine my distress as I was turned down from several medical schools because my MCAT score was borderline like being good enough and not lol.. I had already taken my MCAT twice and they suggested taking it again which I just did not have it in me to do again, especially since I got the same score both times.. Anyhow, the program by all means is a challenge and is risky but definitely worth the risk. In my opinion its not difficult to maintain above 8o in classes as long as you put the time in.. however dont get me wrong you learn really quick that sometimes that is just not enough... For example, I consider myself to be good in certain subjects and was very surprised to find that my best subject that I love and have always excelled at was the most challenging. Subjects that were most difficult became my best subject here lol.. you see that often, your fellow classmates struggling in one class and vice versa.. everyone has something to bring to the table. The MBS program is family, you meet friends for life and become really close because you are all in it together... Its hard to see some of your brothers and sisters just not make it when they get a 79 in the class and have to do another year of the program.. But keep in mind, even that is not so bad considering you are still on the right path! I believe we have a handful of those who will be doing the second year due to PHYSIOLOGY, class is not hard but questions are very tricky.. I can tell you that right now we are studying for our last few exams and it feels amazing to be right there almost done... it goes by so quickly... benefits of this program are that once you are an M1 you know everything!!! If you manage to get all A's you dont have to repeat those classes which makes your first year a lot lighter and allows you time to tutor others and make extra $$$$.. Along with this certain classes like anatomy, histology neuroanatomy , you can get B's in and NOT retake because you have the option of doing the fellowship which makes you a fellow your M1 year. This means you will get to tutor all the other students.. So many benefits I didnt even appreciate until now..

As for interviews, expect that very soon... heard it thru the grapevine will be starting within the next week or so...be you! Interview is very welcoming.. Dribin will be the first to ask anything that stands out on your application... know your application and be real. Dribin is like our second mom she is there for you and is very real. If they try to pressure you and say things like why dont you take your mcat again, make sure you have a good response.. And dont take that as you will not be accepted, many of us were told either to reapply to medical school or take the mcat again etc and still were accepted.

Good luck!!

I wanted to say thank you for the absolute amazing insight into the program, everyone here had a story to share and couldn't be more ecstatic to hear that this program offers so many benefits. I have not received and interview as of yet but am always keeping up with Dr. Dribin as to progress and honestly cant wait to get the interview E-mail. I wish you luck in your exams and thank you again for taking the time to write this for us.

Reactions: 5 users
I wanted to say thank you for the absolute amazing insight into the program, everyone here had a story to share and couldn't be more ecstatic to hear that this program offers so many benefits. I have not received and interview as of yet but am always keeping up with Dr. Dribin as to progress and honestly cant wait to get the interview E-mail. I wish you luck in your exams and thank you again for taking the time to write this for us.
I hope you get an II soon!! Just curious..does Dr. Dribin answer emails?

Thank you, need all the luck right now.. Anatomy is a lot... its funny last night I was driving home around 2 am from school and I passed a bar and was wondering why it was so packed.... Forgot it was Friday! Hahaha its like that... but dont worry we have lots of fun when we can...

Have a good weekend!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
so erm just heard today that the Miami Dolphins cheerleaders practice on NSUs campus...nice to know ..it would be very helpful for studying anatomy...haha just joking obviously..

Reactions: 4 users
As of right now she is out of town from what she told me so i dont think she will be replying to any interviews

I submitted my application march 25, do I should be worried if haven't heard anything back yet? Do I should call ?

I submitted my application march 25, do I should be worried if haven't heard anything back yet? Do I should call ?
Did you get a phone call saying your application was complete? Make sure you eventually get that phone call! And then the rest is a waiting game haha

no I did't, but online said that everything was received. :/

Don't u worry, last year they call me to let me know they have everything and no II. This year I just received an email. That doesn't make any difference!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920T using SDN mobile

How does the waiting make you all feel? :bang::beat:

no I did't, but online said that everything was received. :/
In your application, it should show a date the app was submitted and a date it was completed. I called the admissions office to verify they had everything. I called them almost every day to make sure they had received every supplemental document.

It is still early in the game. Best of luck!
I don't think I'll feel some peace of mind until I hear back, receiving an II. If I don't, I won't feel so good. :(:unsure:

In your application, it should show a date the app was submitted and a date it was completed. I called the admissions office to verify they had everything. I called them almost every day to make sure they had received every supplemental document.
Me too I called I think 800 times haha, they knew me pretty well from how much I annoyed the crap out of them haha

i have this uncomfortable feeling in my tummy that i just want to get rid of but wont go away haha
Lol same I can't sleep at night knowing that I won't know what I am doing with my life until end of May...

Reactions: 4 users
Me too I called I think 800 times haha, they knew me pretty well from how much I annoyed the crap out of them haha
Haha ditto! The admissions office is very helpful, I felt bad calling every day to bug them haha

The site should be renamed to Support Group for Student Doctors :laugh::rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
do you know if there was another batch of II sent out after the first one ?
This may be good news or it may not but it turns out that Dr. Dribin, who reviews the apps (along with others on the committee) is/has been out of town and is to return early next week. So, that's possibly a reason why I think no other set of II have been sent out...pehaps the committee has not met to review apps until Dr. Dribin returns. But, honestly, who knows haha

This may be good news or it may not but it turns out that Dr. Dribin, who reviews the apps (along with others on the committee) is/has been out of town and is to return early next week. So, that's possibly a reason why I think no other set of II have been sent out...pehaps the committee has not met to review apps until Dr. Dribin returns. But, honestly, who knows haha
hmm they might be pushing back the interview dates then

They started sending out rejections letter. I just received mine!!!!so pissed!!!!

Call the admissions office and ask to speak to someone as to why you received the letter... They should provide you with a reason i think...

Do we still receive an MBS degree if we finish the 1st year successfully and then move right onto MS1?

Thank u 4 your words, must need it!!!!

It's true, dental is the most competitive as there are only like 4 seats like aesthetics said... Ask them how you can make your app stronger, reapply and you will get in for sure!!

Do we still receive an MBS degree if we finish the 1st year successfully and then move right onto MS1?
I don't think so, you have to finish both years to get the degree you have to inform them that is your plan to get the MBS degree so you can do the second year I think...

I just want all of us to get in and we can all be friends forever ...create our own med school squad in southern florida lol cant get much better than that

Reactions: 3 users
I just want all of us to get in and we can all be friends forever ...create our own med school squad in southern florida lol cant get much better than that
Ha! I agree, become a MBS family and get though the 5 years together...

I looked today and there's only 2 interview dates that are still open... May 2 and 9th.

I posted this a while back but is there anyone interviewing on April 18th?

Thank u 4 your words, must need it!!!!

I heard the Barry program is good at getting it's Dental students into Professional school. If you go on their FB page you can see the students and where they got in. Don't give up!