NSU Master of Biomedical Sciences 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kikoman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently submitted my application for the NSU Master of Biomedical Sciences Program and was wondering if there are any current/former students who are willing to share their experiences about the program? I've heard great things about this program and NSU but would love to hear from current/former students!

Anyone else start or submit their application? Would love to get a thread going for the current application cycle.

-Kiko

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Kiko!

I'm so excited you took the initiative to start a new thread for the current cycle. I will be completing my application sometime this week :D

Quick question, did you submit a personal statement intended for Med school or did you write a new one addressing the question they put in the application?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Kiko!

I'm so excited you took the initiative to start a new thread for the current cycle. I will be completing my application sometime this week :D

Quick question, did you submit a personal statement intended for Med school or did you write a new one addressing the question they put in the application?

Hey there!

Thanks figured I should beat someone to it and start a new thread haha! :soexcited:

I actually used my personal statement intended for med school but tweaked it a little so that I am addressing all the points they wanted covered. I definitely wouldn't write one that is literally answering the questions. I have a friend who used to be in the program years ago and he told me to write it in a way that is intended for both med school/master's program. Especially since if you do well in the program you would continue on in the med school the following year. He's told me great things about the school but its been a while since hes graduated from there so I am sure it's changed since then.

I just know that the program is really competitive and there are a limited amount of students they accept for dental/med. I just really want to hear from current/former students. I'm assuming you are applying the med track?

-Kiko

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I was thinking as well! I had a personal statement started intended for med school and just edited it in order to address the question.

I also heard it was competitive I currently have a friend who is in the med school but wasn't in the master's program. I am applying for the med track as well. I was told the master's students take the science classes with the med students and if they receive A's in the class they do not need to repeat it in their first year of med school, which is great!

Did you receive some sort of notification that your application file is complete yet?

Just applied to the program and sent transcripts in. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
That's what I was thinking as well! I had a personal statement started intended for med school and just edited it in order to address the question.

I also heard it was competitive I currently have a friend who is in the med school but wasn't in the master's program. I am applying for the med track as well. I was told the master's students take the science classes with the med students and if they receive A's in the class they do not need to repeat it in their first year of med school, which is great!

Did you receive some sort of notification that your application file is complete yet?

All I received was that my application was sent and I got a PDF version of it and that they received my transcripts. I am still waiting for them to let me know about my recommendation letters. I will most likely email/call them this week to find out if my application is complete and let you know. :)

Just applied to the program and sent transcripts in. Good luck to everyone!

Awesome best of luck to you as well! :thumbup: Are you from out of state or from FL?

Made an account just for this thread haha :hardy: just submitted my application and application materials today :xf: I too only received a PDF document of my application but not of my transcripts.. @kikoman how long did it take for them to tell you they received your transcripts?

Best of luck to you all as well! Hopefully we will all be future classmates or meet each other on interview day :highfive:

Hi, does anyone know if there is a limit for the essay's?

Made an account just for this thread haha :hardy: just submitted my application and application materials today :xf: I too only received a PDF document of my application but not of my transcripts.. @kikoman how long did it take for them to tell you they received your transcripts?

Best of luck to you all as well! Hopefully we will all be future classmates or meet each other on interview day :highfive:
Did they email you a pdf document? All i received via email was a document thanking me for payment.

Did they email you a pdf document? All i received via email was a document thanking me for payment.

I got an email like 2 or 3 days after I submitted my application. It had an attachment of a PDF version of my application. You should get it soon.

Hi, does anyone know if there is a limit for the essay's?

My first one was about 800+ words and the second was about 400-500 words. Not sure if there was a limit but i figured to keep it within a limit of 700-800 words like a med school personal statement.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello Everyone!

I submitted my application last night and I am still waiting to get the PDF document and an email confirming they received my LORs. I sent in my transcripts 2 weeks ago and did get a confirmation email for that and for my payment. Best of luck to everyone applying! :thumbup::prof:

I agree with @Craygummybear about the amount of words for my essay. Mine was around 850 words I think.

Best of luck to everyone! I think they begin sending out interviews invites in march, can someone confirm?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the average stats for acceptance into the program? I was not able to find this info on the website.

Does anyone know the average stats for acceptance into the program? I was not able to find this info on the website.

I read on a previous thread "Dr. Dribin told me they are concerned mainly with grades including high GPAs and mentioned 3.5 and above and low MCAT to be the average like 20-23 MCAT...." (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-masters-in-biomedical-sciences.792687/page-3)

Not sure if that is still the case since that was posted in 2011...

I ALSO read "I do know for a fact if your stats are somewhat completive for medical school you won't be accepted to the program. For instance, if you have a decent GPA and MCAT they will encourage you to retake the MCAT and apply to DO programs. So they're really looking for students who would not be medical school applicants"(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-masters-in-biomedical-sciences.792687/page-6)

Hey all, I was MBS (med) in 2012, currently a second year at Nova. It is a very competitive program, accepting only 18 students for the med track. I think for the most part my class had generally highish GPAs and lower MCAT scores. Interview invites usually start to go out end of March. Hope this helps :) good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
I received a phone call this morning about the completion of my application and what's missing. You all should be receiving phone calls too! :nod:

I read on a previous thread "Dr. Dribin told me they are concerned mainly with grades including high GPAs and mentioned 3.5 and above and low MCAT to be the average like 20-23 MCAT...." (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-masters-in-biomedical-sciences.792687/page-3)

Not sure if that is still the case since that was posted in 2011...

I ALSO read "I do know for a fact if your stats are somewhat completive for medical school you won't be accepted to the program. For instance, if you have a decent GPA and MCAT they will encourage you to retake the MCAT and apply to DO programs. So they're really looking for students who would not be medical school applicants"(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-masters-in-biomedical-sciences.792687/page-6)

that seems confusing.. 3.5 gpa is competitive for med schools but back then they were looking for high gpas... hmm you would think it would be below avg. gpas and mcat scores.

Hey all, I was MBS (med) in 2012, currently a second year at Nova. It is a very competitive program, accepting only 18 students for the med track. I think for the most part my class had generally highish GPAs and lower MCAT scores. Interview invites usually start to go out end of March. Hope this helps :) good luck everyone!!

Thanks so much for this! Any chance you know the averages for the MCAT scores? Are there any students who were accepted with low GPAs/MCAT combo? Just trying to get a feel for what type of students they look for. I also read in previous threads that they look for students who have taken the MCAT more than once.. would you say that's true? I really appreciated your taking the time to write on this thread :thumbup:

I received a phone call this morning about the completion of my application and what's missing. You all should be receiving phone calls too! :nod:

I got one too! My application is complete and now we wait till March :banana:

Thanks so much for this! Any chance you know the averages for the MCAT scores? Are there any students who were accepted with low GPAs/MCAT combo? Just trying to get a feel for what type of students they look for. I also read in previous threads that they look for students who have taken the MCAT more than once.. would you say that's true? I really appreciated your taking the time to write on this thread :thumbup:

I got one too! My application is complete and now we wait till March :banana:

Well I don't really know my classmates stats really, but I believe for the most part there weren't really people with both low GPAs and low MCATs. Yes this is a second chance program, but they are still looking for candidates who can do well in a med school environment, especially since you'll be taking classes with the current med students. As for multiple MCATs, I would say that's true (I took it 3 times), but they have also taken students who have taken it just once. It really depends on how strong of an applicant you are. MCAT average, um I think the range may have been 21-26 but honestly I don't even remember haha.

If it helps, you can message me for my stats.

Complete today after I called. Still no email with a pdf after 7 days but all is well. I hope we all get in.

Complete today after I called. Still no email with a pdf after 7 days but all is well. I hope we all get in.

That's really weird did you check your spam? At least it is marked as complete :thumbup:

I sent an email to NSU's HPD admissions office to inquire more about the program and they responded with this and I highlighted the most important thing everyone has been looking for in blue :woot::

"Thank you for your interest in Nova Southeastern University (NSU). The seven colleges of NSU’s Health Professions Division provide faculty of world-renown, state-of-the-art facilities, and ground-breaking research and internship opportunities.

Applications are available from January 1st to April 15th each year.
Application Procedures - http://medsciences.nova.edu/master-biomedical-sciences/application-procedures.html

There are 25 available seats each year. We recommend students have at least a 3.4 GPA and DAT score of 20 or MCAT score of 25 to be considered competitive. Keep in mind that you're competing against HUNDREDS of applicants, most of whom have fulfilled ALL admission requirements. Your goal is to be as competitive as possible.

Here are a few university highlights:
  • NSU is the largest private university in the Southeast and the eighth largest not-for-profit, private institution nationally, with enrollment of more than 29,000 students.
  • NSU is the sixth largest four-year, not-for-profit, private Carnegie research university in the United States. The university enjoys an excellent reputation for its innovation and quality in both traditional and distance education.
  • NSU researchers are at the leading edge of scientific breakthroughs on many fronts. More than 150 research projects are currently underway, including anti-cancer therapies, coral reef restoration, stem-cells, and wildlife DNA forensics.
There is much to learn about Nova Southeastern University and we would be happy to answer any questions that you may have. You are also invited to have a tour of our facilities and meet with an admissions counselor.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for Choosing NSU"

Reactions: 4 users
I sent an email to NSU's HPD admissions office to inquire more about the program and they responded with this and I highlighted the most important thing everyone has been looking for in blue :woot::

"Thank you for your interest in Nova Southeastern University (NSU). The seven colleges of NSU’s Health Professions Division provide faculty of world-renown, state-of-the-art facilities, and ground-breaking research and internship opportunities.

Applications are available from January 1st to April 15th each year.
Application Procedures - http://medsciences.nova.edu/master-biomedical-sciences/application-procedures.html

There are 25 available seats each year. We recommend students have at least a 3.4 GPA and DAT score of 20 or MCAT score of 25 to be considered competitive. Keep in mind that you're competing against HUNDREDS of applicants, most of whom have fulfilled ALL admission requirements. Your goal is to be as competitive as possible.

Here are a few university highlights:
  • NSU is the largest private university in the Southeast and the eighth largest not-for-profit, private institution nationally, with enrollment of more than 29,000 students.
  • NSU is the sixth largest four-year, not-for-profit, private Carnegie research university in the United States. The university enjoys an excellent reputation for its innovation and quality in both traditional and distance education.
  • NSU researchers are at the leading edge of scientific breakthroughs on many fronts. More than 150 research projects are currently underway, including anti-cancer therapies, coral reef restoration, stem-cells, and wildlife DNA forensics.
There is much to learn about Nova Southeastern University and we would be happy to answer any questions that you may have. You are also invited to have a tour of our facilities and meet with an admissions counselor.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

If your numbers are that good then why would you need a master's program? I thought the program was for a solid applicant with maybe just one flaw in his or her application such as a low mcat score or a low science gpa?

If your numbers are that good then why would you need a master's program? I thought the program was for a solid applicant with maybe just one flaw in his or her application such as a low mcat score or a low science gpa?
I second this. A 3.4 gpa seems like a solid gpa for most DO schools. I know damn sure that if that were my gpa, I wouldn't waste any time applying to a post bacc.

Yeah that is a bit odd I would agree that one should just apply to the DO school directly. But then again it is a competitive program with a very limited amount of seats so I can see as to why they are selective especially since it's a linkage program. Hmm I guess we will wait and see come March :shrug:

Current MBS student here.

My biggest recommendation is to apply as early as possible (i.e. now). If you do that, you'll have a better chance at them taking a look at everything in your application. This was the case for me. I didn't have some of the numbers that are mentioned ITT and I still got in.

Due to the volume of applicants and the number of seats available, of course the application will be competitive, so the higher your GPA/MCAT the better. However, if you don't fit the exact criteria of low MCAT/decent GPA don't worry, take a shot and apply anyway. You still have a chance at getting in.

Yeah that is a bit odd I would agree that one should just apply to the DO school directly. But then again it is a competitive program with a very limited amount of seats so I can see as to why they are selective especially since it's a linkage program. Hmm I guess we will wait and see come March :shrug:

is it a true linkage? i was under impression you would get an interview if maintain good grades after 1st year..??

is it a true linkage? i was under impression you would get an interview if maintain good grades after 1st year..??

Nova's MBS is 100% linkage which is why I chose it over other SMP/MBS programs (both MD and DO). If you get at least a B in every class then you are guaranteed a spot the following year. The interview is just a formality.

I also submitted an application recently to the MBS program and hope to attend their Dental School program afterwards.. I take my DAT on March 19th. I am also planning on applying to several other programs.

**UPDATE (1/26/15)** Received the PDF copy of my application along with a call last week regarding what they were waiting on with my application.

Last edited:
Can anybody comment on how competitive my stats are for this program (maybe current or past students)?

I'm applying with these stats:

cGPA: 3.08 (3.02 undergrad, 3.45 grad)
sGPA: 2.89
MCAT: 30 (12 PS, 10 BS, 8 VR)

Can anybody comment on how competitive my stats are for this program (maybe current or past students)?

I'm applying with these stats:

cGPA: 3.08 (3.02 undergrad, 3.45 grad)
sGPA: 2.89
MCAT: 30 (12 PS, 10 BS, 8 VR)

I see that you have received sound advice from Goro. My two cents and trust me, I am new to this game also, I would pursue an MBS program somewhere to get that sGPA up. That is what I would do. The MCAT scores are competitive especially for DO school. The sGPA is not. You have come this far, you obviously have the calling of wanting to be a doctor, I would give this a try.

I see that you have received sound advice from Goro. My two cents and trust me, I am new to this game also, I would pursue an MBS program somewhere to get that sGPA up. That is what I would do. The MCAT scores are competitive especially for DO school. The sGPA is not. You have come this far, you obviously have the calling of wanting to be a doctor, I would give this a try.
Well the only thing that worried me about this program is that somebody posted above that they favor applicants with higher gpa and lower MCAT. Since I'm the opposite of that, I'm wondering what my chances are of getting into the program.

Well the only thing that worried me about this program is that somebody posted above that they favor applicants with higher gpa and lower MCAT. Since I'm the opposite of that, I'm wondering what my chances are of getting into the program.
Not sure I am qualified to answer this since I am not a current student (Just an applicant to the program) but here it goes. With an MCAT of 30 which is an excellent score for DO Schools and a Low GPA you could:
1) retake a few courses that you made C's in (Cheapest option) and then reapply
2) Do an SMP with linkage to the school which is what this program is obviously
#2 Is gonna cost you 50-60K and if something happened that caused you to fail a class or two then that could be detrimental to your chances in the future.
I am weighing out these options myself but my stats are opposite of yours (High GPA, Low MCAT) so I could see where this program might be more beneficial for someone with a Low MCAT. Just my two cents
I heard this program was excellent though and I hope that all of us applying gets in. Good luck to everyone!

Many of my peers are in the same boat. My MBS program has an MCAT review, mock interviews, research and profs willing to help you etc. A lot of students have high GPA's and moderate MCAT scores. Some have high MCAT scores and the cutoff for GPA admission. Some have highs in everything and for some unknown reason were overlooked for admission into Med School. Let's face it, it is a crap shoot but we still have to do the race if we want to get to the finish line. Some students have not taken the MCATs yet. Some have and are accepted into Med Schools during this final semester. Some are taking a gap year to apply to Medical schools this upcoming cycle. It runs the whole gamut of scenarios. My thinking.........If you are not accepted into Med school this cycle, you have to improve your resume in some sort in order to be noticed. What better way? I think you have a good chance for admission into an MBS program. You won't know unless you try. Just my thoughts. On a side note, your score in Physics and Bio on the MCAT are good. I know you can do the work in the MBS program. You have to be committed to the studying however. Taking 16 - 18 credits a semester of Science courses is brutal. All of us probably had good and bad semesters in college for various reasons that would affect our gpa's. Stuff happens!

Last edited:
Not sure I am qualified to answer this since I am not a current student (Just an applicant to the program) but here it goes. With an MCAT of 30 which is an excellent score for DO Schools and a Low GPA you could:
1) retake a few courses that you made C's in (Cheapest option) and then reapply
2) Do an SMP with linkage to the school which is what this program is obviously
#2 Is gonna cost you 50-60K and if something happened that caused you to fail a class or two then that could be detrimental to your chances in the future.
I am weighing out these options myself but my stats are opposite of yours (High GPA, Low MCAT) so I could see where this program might be more beneficial for someone with a Low MCAT. Just my two cents
I heard this program was excellent though and I hope that all of us applying gets in. Good luck to everyone!

My program runs the whole gamut of students........Moderate GPA, High MCAT. Low MCAT, High GPA, Moderate GPA and Moderate MCAT. Some have applied to Med schools and not accepted to date, some applied during their first semester of MBS and accepted immediately, some accepted later in the semesters. Some not applying and taking a gap year entering the new cycle for application to Med Schools. I will have absolutely no idea how many completed the program, applied to Medical Schools and still did not get in. That would be a killer! There is no perfect model it seems to me. The same for medical school applicants. Each student brings something different to the table. The question ............Is the Medical school willing to bite with you being a student~ I was willing to do anything in order to get into Medical School. There was no plan B for me. I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad. For some unknown reason, it worked out for me. Good luck to all. Many years from now after I have been in the profession, I would like to be at a college in some capacity, working in admissions. I will remember.........................

My program runs the whole gamut of students........Moderate GPA, High MCAT. Low MCAT, High GPA, Moderate GPA and Moderate MCAT. Some have applied to Med schools and not accepted to date, some applied during their first semester of MBS and accepted immediately, some accepted later in the semesters. Some not applying and taking a gap year entering the new cycle for application to Med Schools. I will have absolutely no idea how many completed the program, applied to Medical Schools and still did not get in. That would be a killer! There is no perfect model it seems to me. The same for medical school applicants. Each student brings something different to the table. The question ............Is the Medical school willing to bite with you being a student~ I was willing to do anything in order to get into Medical School. There was no plan B for me. I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad. For some unknown reason, it worked out for me. Good luck to all. Many years from now after I have been in the profession, I would like to be at a college in some capacity, working in admissions. I will remember.........................
What is your program?

Hello all. I just applied today and sent my LOR's and transcripts in last week. Good luck to everyone. I'm so nervous.

If you don't mind, could you share your stats?
I'm still waiting on my MCAT scores. They come back next week, but my sGPA 3.3 and cGPA 3.4. I just received a PDF format of my application today.

I'm still waiting on my MCAT scores. They come back next week, but my sGPA 3.3 and cGPA 3.4. I just received a PDF format of my application today.

I just got mine today as well. cGPA 3.08, sGPA 2.89, MCAT 30 (12 PS, 10 BS, 8 V).

Hi everyone!!
I also applied recently and very excited!! my stats are very average( somewhat below average) :
GPA :3.4
DAT: 19

First, I will say that I am very impressed with their communication (especially after reading other threads from previous years on SDN).
I just received the 2nd call today regarding my application. All they are waiting on is my DAT scores (told me to submit unofficial when I get them) and my last transcript. Last time I checked, my cGPA is 3.6 and my sGPA is probably around a 3.5ish. I am taking 25 credit hours this quarter AND studying for the DAT (yes, this is miserable) and will graduate next quarter when I complete my last 25 credit hours. Still a chance to get the GPA up more (fingers crossed). I have 2 red flags on my app as far as time of degree completion and with-drawls, but my app is super strong in extracurricular activities, student involvement, and leadership so a bit nervous. I am applying to 2 other MBS programs as backup but this is definitely my first pick! Goodluck Everyone!

1. Has anyone who applied for the 2015 cycle (DO-track) received any interview invites yet???

1. Has anyone who applied for the 2015 cycle (DO-track) received any interview invites yet???

I have not... I applied 1/27 and received a call that day saying I was complete but have not heard anything since. I don't think they start reviewing anything until March!

I spoke to them on the phone yesterday and they said they start reviewing once they receive test scores and transcripts.

My bad! According to the website, "Interviews for this program begin in March, therefore it is in the applicant's best interest to apply before the April 15th deadline." This is why I didn't anticipate anything yet.