NSU opening MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's 50 minutes a week.
Are you saying your OMM is only 50 minutes per week?

Woah 70% of OPP attendance? That's a bit much. I've been to 1 OMM lecture in my life, that stuff can easily be crammed in a few days.

Brooo are you serious? You don't have mandatory OPP each week?

Members don't see this ad.

It may be a positive move or it may not be. We'll see how people respond in 5 years when I tell them I graduated from this place.

I'm still 400k+ in debt, and still ambivalent about the education I received. I remember how pissed I was during the 4 years I was in school. I just did not like most of what I studied or do particularly well with anything in pre-clinical or clinicals. I did not like talking to everyone whom had some variation of "dean" to their name. When I was a pre-med I was on SDN a lot and I just minimized the work, the debt, and the stress that was in a lot of posts.

But maybe that's just a reflection of myself and the choice I made to go down this road. There are really people out there from NSU who loved school, enjoyed life in school, and are doing well as doctors. A lot of them didn't bitch and moan like I did as a student and just ate everything up and built themselves a good personal and professional life.

I do remember before those 4 years wanting to be a doctor, and during my interview there in 2008 being told about most of these plans (research center and teaching hospital), and being impressed at them actually having a university campus and a variety of hospitals to go to. I do remember that after graduating being called doctor, and after getting my full license being asked to moonlight for a lot of money doing doctor work. In that sense, they delivered for me.

Reactions: 2 users
[deleted]

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCHM and MSUCOM barely share anything, besides Sparrow Hospital and anatomy labs They are in different buildings in East Lansing and the other sites are not near each other. MSUCOM actually has way more affiliated hospitals, then again the have twice the amount of students.

Also consider Harvard doesn't have its own hospital, but a list of affiliates. I don't think it's a big deal if NSU wants another med school. They were doing great with the DO school and now they realize they can capitalize off of another. It's all about the Benjamin's as we've been observing lately.

Reactions: 1 user
MSUCHM and MSUCOM barely share anything, besides Sparrow Hospital and anatomy labs They are in different buildings in East Lansing and the other sites are not near each other. MSUCOM actually has way more affiliated hospitals, then again the have twice the amount of students.

Also consider Harvard doesn't have its own hospital, but a list of affiliates. I don't think it's a big deal if NSU wants another med school. They were doing great with the DO school and now they realize they can capitalize off of another. It's all about the Benjamin's as we've been observing lately.

Truuuueeeeee especially that change from the LCME that allows for-profit MD schools to be built now.

On this note. I wonder how much collaboration will go on b/t NSU-COM (DO) and NSU-SOM (MD) in terms of research.

That's what's so weird about this is that they were already on track to be a research powerhouse without the MD school.

Last edited:
Yep! IMO it has to just be a separate entity that proposed the MD school entirely with DO opinion not even a part of that planning process.

Oops, I meant MD.

Anyway, they had the opportunity to create the best DO school in the country, one that could go head-to-head with MD schools.

It just goes to show that it's not that there aren't resources available for DO schools to become top-ranked medical schools. It's that no one wants to put those resources where they need to go.

Anyway, they had the opportunity to create the best DO school in the country, one that could go head-to-head with MD schools.
I think they would first need to get rid of their silly dress code for that to happen lol...

[deleted]

Last edited:
I think they would first need to get rid of their silly dress code for that to happen lol...

We don't have a silly dress code, its just blue scrubs. Or scrub bottoms and any NSU T shirt.

Are you saying your OMM is only 50 minutes per week?

Brooo are you serious? You don't have mandatory OPP each week?

Yeah nobody goes to OPP lectures are PCOM, just the mandatory OMM lab.