Nsucom 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AACmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a class thread since no one else has yet..

Very excited about Nova! The campus is amazing.. Who else will be attending??

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be there in the fall! So excited :)

I'll be there also! Trying to pull in that last bit of money for the deposit

Members don't see this ad :)
GET OUT!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

I keed. 1st year's intense, but you'll love it here. :cool:

hey all. i'm 2nd year at nova. i'm a little tired as we are just finishing up our last finals. i'll be traveling a bit here after the 4th, but if you have any questions, feel free to forward them on. i'll try to keep up with them as i can over the holiday.

Will officially be attending here in the fall. Just paid the deposit today!

Will officially be attending here in the fall. Just paid the deposit today!

just sent my deposit in yesterday! I got the email talking about getting a sharklink id? Do we sign up somewhere to get the id or wait for them to send it to us?

I am currently an M1 student at NSUCOM. Currently 2 finals left to go and regrettably distracting myself with SDN. If you are from 2016, and have questions ask away. I know some M2s are already offering, perhaps we can both chime in, as experiences are slightly different from their M1 year and our M1 year, and maybe that in itself can clue you in on the school's policies. Can also answer questions on teacher's etc. I'll try to be as unbiased as possible.

I am currently an M1 student at NSUCOM. Currently 2 finals left to go and regrettably distracting myself with SDN. If you are from 2016, and have questions ask away. I know some M2s are already offering, perhaps we can both chime in, as experiences are slightly different from their M1 year and our M1 year, and maybe that in itself can clue you in on the school's policies. Can also answer questions on teacher's etc. I'll try to be as unbiased as possible.
are you guys using ebooks? if so what are your thoughts on them. thanks. good luck with finals

This will be fragmented.

We are indeed using ebooks. The only physical books I recommend are Netters anatomy and perhaps some of the BRS series of books for your first semester. Netters you will be able to get for free once school starts from joining one of the clubs (forgot which, it costs money to join the clubs but you get free things and it appears on your transcript). Netters is one of the provided ebooks through the school for you, but its kind of worth it to get a hard copy. Plus, you cannot take your tablets or phones into the anatomy lab during dissection, and in that case you would want at least someone in your group to have a hard copy of Netters. Also an anatomy coloring book will be useful.

The ebook service is through Vital Source. The program and format on laptops/pcs is much much better than on the iPad. The school could have used various other service providers for the iPad but regrettably it is what it is. Vital Source is currently not out on android, it was expected to be released this year but chances are more so 2012. If you are looking for a tablet right now for school, either wait or get an iPad. Id estimate around 1/4th of our class uses iPads, but I eventually decided that I miss typing and started bringing a laptop instead.

Steel auditorium (the room you will be in 99% of the time first year) barely has any outlets, so keep that in mind.

Some classes you'll have to read the ebooks for (Patient Centered Medicine) and some you will never touch. I've very rarely used the ebooks this semester. Most of the classes provide you with detailed note packets that you just add on to as the lectures go. Our cardiophysio right now is based on a fairly dense and detailed packet that's 120 pages big. Each anatomy exam was based on packets that were probably around 200 pages ish, with pictures.

IF you do manage to get an iPad, get iAnnotate. Its an app a few of us use that is basically a very feature filled pdf editor. We ended up scanning a lot of our notepackets that we received into pdf format and just take notes on the iPad with iAnnotate. The app allows you to highlight, draw, freeform write, take pictures, record, insert images, whatever you might imagine. Its honestly a must if you plan to go the digital route. Plus all the notepackets end up being condensed into the thickness of your iPad. Extreme portability compared to having to carry around packets.

PS: Nova gets really good discounts with Dell, Lenovo, and HP. So if you are going to buy school related/apartment related stuff, wait until you are fully enrolled and use the savings (like 40% off lenovo products for example).

Last edited:
This will be fragmented.

We are indeed using ebooks. The only physical books I recommend are Netters anatomy and perhaps some of the BRS series of books for your first semester. Netters you will be able to get for free once school starts from joining one of the clubs (forgot which, it costs money to join the clubs but you get free things and it appears on your transcript). Netters is one of the provided ebooks through the school for you, but its kind of worth it to get a hard copy. Plus, you cannot take your tablets or phones into the anatomy lab during dissection, and in that case you would want at least someone in your group to have a hard copy of Netters. Also an anatomy coloring book will be useful.

The ebook service is through Vital Source. The program and format on laptops/pcs is much much better than on the iPad. The school could have used various other service providers for the iPad but regrettably it is what it is. Vital Source is currently not out on android, it was expected to be released this year but chances are more so 2012. If you are looking for a tablet right now for school, either wait or get an iPad. Id estimate around 1/4th of our class uses iPads, but I eventually decided that I miss typing and started bringing a laptop instead.

Steel auditorium (the room you will be in 99% of the time first year) barely has any outlets, so keep that in mind.

Some classes you'll have to read the ebooks for (Patient Centered Medicine) and some you will never touch. I've very rarely used the ebooks this semester. Most of the classes provide you with detailed note packets that you just add on to as the lectures go. Our cardiophysio right now is based on a fairly dense and detailed packet that's 120 pages big. Each anatomy exam was based on packets that were probably around 200 pages ish, with pictures.

IF you do manage to get an iPad, get iAnnotate. Its an app a few of us use that is basically a very feature filled pdf editor. We ended up scanning a lot of our notepackets that we received into pdf format and just take notes on the iPad with iAnnotate. The app allows you to highlight, draw, freeform write, take pictures, record, insert images, whatever you might imagine. Its honestly a must if you plan to go the digital route. Plus all the notepackets end up being condensed into the thickness of your iPad. Extreme portability compared to having to carry around packets.

PS: Nova gets really good discounts with Dell, Lenovo, and HP. So if you are going to buy school related/apartment related stuff, wait until you are fully enrolled and use the savings (like 40% off lenovo products for example).
I was thinking of getting the ipad mainly because of the ebooks. But with the powerpoints I might decide otherwise. Thanks for the info!

I'll be there next year too! C/O 2016 Thanks for the great information regarding eBooks, it was definitely a question of mine too. Is there any additional advice you have? (maybe regarding living arrangements, purchasing equipment, do's and don'ts of any 1st year courses)

Last edited:
To continue have the ball rolling, the link below is for the Facebook Group. If there are any suggestions (name change, layout, content, pictures, privacy settings, etc) let me know (PM or FB message)!

NSU-COM Class of 2016 (this is an edit. I deleted the group I created and the link below is to the group that previously existed)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/149336538506187/

--Israel
NSU-COM C/O 2016!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, you're right! sorry. I created the group before I read on this thread that someone had already created one. I had tried to search for one but was unsuccessful. I'll delete the group I created and join the other one. Thanks for the heads up!

NSU-COM Facebook Group (the original one)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/149336538506187/

I'll be there next year too! C/O 2016 Thanks for the great information regarding eBooks, it was definitely a question of mine too. Is there any additional advice you have? (maybe regarding living arrangements, purchasing equipment, do's and don'ts of any 1st year courses)

You'll get a guide handed down that goes through most teachers and some patterns behind them. You will also be placed into academic society groups for your 4 years (Gryfyndorish) and different societies have different sources of information etc.

Some things we learned fairly early on this semester....do not talk in class. You'll still have douchebags that do and interrupt the teacher with the noise, and youll have douchebags that walk in through the front and not the back mid lecture. This is a very very easy way to make the teachers give you a much harder exam. You want to get on the proff good side.

Different clubs offer different things. Netters book and flashcards, and the 5 year test packet themselves are the most important resources from those clubs.

GA scrubs are awesome. Expensive, but considering you will be in them for 60% of your life, well worth it. Very light and comfortable compared to the Dickie's, Cherokee etc.

Its better if you ask questions as opposed to me just giving random advice. Can do it on facebook too if youd like.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there good places to buy scrubs when we get to Nova next summer?

I will be attending next fall also! I interviewed Aug 23.

Hey all:

I am lucky enough to be attending Fall 2016 as well.

I have some questions for the M1s/M2s.

Where should I live?

I like the idea of the beach, but is it worth it in practice?

If I live within walking distance of campus, are there biking lines or sidewalks that lead directly to HPD without any hassle?

Does it rain enough that walking/biking daily is impractical?

In regards to student discounts on furniture/laptops/misc. items, how large is the discount and what is the full array of merchants we can choose from?

When does the discount kick in and what are the stipulations?

Is there a link I can go to, to get that information?

Any information is appreciate, thanks. :thumbup:

Hi I am an m2.. I'll leave the housing and laptop/tablet discount questions to the first years that have done this recently. If you have any other questions pm me.

Any current NSU-COM student wish to share their yearly cost and how they feel about it? (tuition + living etc). On the NSU-COM discussion board there is a lot of talk about NSU being overly expensive compared to other medical schools. What is everyone's take on this?

Any current NSU-COM student wish to share their yearly cost and how they feel about it? (tuition + living etc). On the NSU-COM discussion board there is a lot of talk about NSU being overly expensive compared to other medical schools. What is everyone's take on this?

I second this. NSU is RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I mean, honestly, what gives? I know venting won't solve anything, but it took away a lot of the excitement of finally being accepted, and I'm trying to wrap my head around why this is.

Now I'm trying to find out information about loan forgiveness programs sponsored by the federal government.

Can anyone give some insight into the OMM fellowship and how it relates to paying down the debt for M3 and M4? I vaguely remember hearing that NSU will absorb some of the cost or something like that...I'm not sure.

Where should I live?

I like the idea of the beach, but is it worth it in practice?

If I live within walking distance of campus, are there biking lines or sidewalks that lead directly to HPD without any hassle?

Does it rain enough that walking/biking daily is impractical?
:thumbup:

People in my class (M1) seem to be spread all over the place - a lot live within a few minutes of campus, a lot more live within a 10-20 minute drive, and there's definitely people who live on the beach and love having the ocean, etc., right there. If you don't think it will distract you from going to class/studying :rolleyes:, it's definitely doable. What I've heard is that if lower rent is your number one priority, go further from campus. My biggest concern was being close, since I don't have a car.

There are sidewalks around campus, so it's pretty easy to walk, and you'll figure out the easiest routes pretty quickly. I live in the dorms, and half the time I'll walk instead of waiting for the shuttle. Most of the time when it rains it'll stop within 30 minutes, so walking/biking isn't a huge problem.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the discounts. If it's an official NSU thing you'll probably be able to find a link on sharklink somewhere?

Tuition-wise, I don't really remember the actual numbers from last year. I do remember looking at the tuition for multiple schools at one point, and thinking Nova was pretty comparable (I'm also out of state). I do know that compared to in-state tuition at your state school it will be much higher, but compared to most private school tuitions it seemed pretty much the same. Maybe there's a little bit higher cost of living here than some other locations?

People in my class (M1) seem to be spread all over the place - a lot live within a few minutes of campus, a lot more live within a 10-20 minute drive, and there's definitely people who live on the beach and love having the ocean, etc., right there. If you don't think it will distract you from going to class/studying :rolleyes:, it's definitely doable. What I've heard is that if lower rent is your number one priority, go further from campus. My biggest concern was being close, since I don't have a car.

There are sidewalks around campus, so it's pretty easy to walk, and you'll figure out the easiest routes pretty quickly. I live in the dorms, and half the time I'll walk instead of waiting for the shuttle. Most of the time when it rains it'll stop within 30 minutes, so walking/biking isn't a huge problem.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the discounts. If it's an official NSU thing you'll probably be able to find a link on sharklink somewhere?

Tuition-wise, I don't really remember the actual numbers from last year. I do remember looking at the tuition for multiple schools at one point, and thinking Nova was pretty comparable (I'm also out of state). I do know that compared to in-state tuition at your state school it will be much higher, but compared to most private school tuitions it seemed pretty much the same. Maybe there's a little bit higher cost of living here than some other locations?

Thanks for your response. I looked at tuition for private schools alone on this link and you're right, it is comparable. http://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PRI&year_of_study=2012

I guess it's because I was comparing it to my public state schools, stupid on my part.

So, could you tell me which developments are cheapest right around campus? I've heard sundance, sunforest...any others?

what have you guys turned in so far besides your first deposit?

When will you guys start worrying about applying for loans?

I will be attending in the fall as well. Sending in my deposit tomorrow. SO EXCITED! Thanks for all the info so far guys, it's really helpful. I'm considering getting the iPad now :D

EDIT: for current medical students, how did you all find a roommate? I'm looking to move out near campus when classes start (i currently live in south florida), and I would rather room with another medical student, so I'm just wondering how you went about doing that. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry this is long....

I too went apartment hunting this past week. Here is what I found (keep in mind that I was only looking at studios and 1brs and I have 2 cats):

Also for any non-smokers or those sensitive to smoke keep in mind that almost all (~95%) of the apartment complexes allow smoking in the apartments in Florida.

Laurels at Jacaranda (Plantation):

The studio was really nice and clean. The price was OK ($863-1023 for 680 square feet). A big sticking point for me at this complex was the pet cost ($500 non-refundable per pet). The woman I spoke to said they *may* be able to reduce this but I would have to talk to Cesar the Leasing Manager. They do offer a 3% rent discount for all NOVA students. This place also has individual water meters in all the units which is nice. In most places in Florida each building shares one water meter and it is divided up by how many people live in the building. It also has a stackable washer/dryer in the studio.

They will not know about availability until May as they only require 60 day notice for tenants. They were currently running a special with reduced application fees, security deposit, and administrative fees but basically said during the busy season (the summer) these specials are not run.

As far as the smoking in the apartments the woman gave me an attitude when I asked about it and said that it wasn't her problem and the maintenance manager made the decision about carpets being replaced. When I spoke to Cesar on the phone I loved the place but once I got there and met with this other woman (who gave me Cesar's card when I asked, not hers) it went down on my list.

Jacaranda Club (Plantation):

On the phone it sounded fantastic and the price was awesome ($799 for a studio). It got the highest ratings on apartmentratings.com so I was really hopeful. Once I got there, not so much. The place is a DUMP! It was trash day and on trash day they take out the dumpsters from these cubbies that are next to some of the apartments and put them in the middle of the road. They are swarming with bugs and smell horrible. I can only imagine what it smells like if you are unfortunate enough to live next to once of the dumpster cubbies.

Some studios still have Murphy beds and have cabinets that haven't been updated since the 1970's. Also the kitchens have suspended ceilings that I am assuming were once white but are now dark brown (really gross). When you go on the tour they show you one of the nice, new updated studios (corner unit, new cabinets, etc.) but they only have very few of these and the chances of getting one are slim. The hallways are all concrete and really dark. This place has laundry facilities which are really expensive ($3 per load in really small washer/dryers).

I also didn't like the fact that when my father asked about safety the woman wouldn't answer him. When he pressed she said to visit the Broward county police station. This further concerned my father and he pressed some more. She eventually told him they have issues of stolen property and pets being stolen from cars (not a big deal but still).

Really cheap pet fee though ($200 flat for cats, and $500 for dogs) and the woman told me she knows everyone in the place and can put me in a unit in which there was little to no smoking. Oh there is also a $6/month trash fee. I am not sure what for as you have to walk down to the dumpster and put your trash in it.

I got the feeling there was a TON of vacancy and I just got a really bad vibe from this place.

Lakepointe at Jacaranda (Plantation):

When I went they didn't have a studio to show me so I didn't do a tour. It seemed nice enough but it was hard to tell without doing the tour. It is expensive here though for a studio. Currently standard studios were running $884-919 and "upgraded" were running $959-994 for only 635 square feet. There are also quite a few fees here:

$200/pet under 35lbs (refundable) on top of a $300/pet ownership fee (non-refundable)
All of the following are non-refundable:
$250 move-in administrative fee
$80 application fee
$30 guarantor application fee (if needed)
$40 Spousal add-on fee
$300 deposit on 1br ($500 for 2br)
$50 fitness center key
$30/month covered parking fee (if desired)
and something called a Short term premium for $50/month (not sure what this is and I forgot to ask)

This place is also on the opposite side of the street from NOVA (about 10mins with no traffic) and you have to do a weird u-turn and then turn around again to get into the place.

This place also runs specials but won't be able to say what they are until the week before you sign your lease as they change weekly. They also require renter's insurance with $50,000 coverage.

Sunforest (Davie, 5min. walk to school):

I was really hesitant to look here because of the reviews but I am glad I did.

I was really impressed by the office staff and the complex. The 1br is HUGE (838 square feet) and has W/D hook-ups in the unit. The big selling point is the proximity to the school. I gathered from talking to some students and staff in the bookstore that there is a major traffic issue on University Drive. A quick 10min. drive can quickly turn into 25-30mins. depending on the traffic lights. I was also told that there is a parking issue at the Med School as well and that during the morning rush it takes a long time to get into the garage (I saw this on my interview day; a line of cars moving very slowly trying to get into the garage). This complex is a 5min. walk to the school.

However, this complex does have a lot of fees and is more expensive ($945-1080/month for 1br but nearly 200 square feet larger than Lakepointe and Laurels for about the same price).

Here is the breakdown on fees:
Refundable:
$600 security deposit ($700 for 2br)
$100 holding deposit ($150 for 2br, refunded if application is not approved, otherwise applied to your 1st months rent)
$50 amenity key fee

Non-Refundable:
$500/pet (however, I was given a break and got both for $600)
$350 Administrative fee
$75 Application fee (per applicant so if you need a guarantor it is another $75)

Also:
$25/month valet trash service (pick-up outside your door)
$40-95/month for water/sewer depending on usage (there is only 1 meter per building so it is split between all occupants)
Renter's insurance is also required here with $50,000 coverage.

The thing that sold me on this place was the office staff. I specifically asked about the extremely poor reviews on apartmentratings.com and the supposed mold issues. The assistant property manager Cheryl was horrified to hear this and made me show her the website. It was the first she had heard about the terrible reviews and called the maintenance manager over to read them himself. He explained to me that the review about mold was in fact mildew due to the extreme humidity in southern FL and that it is an issue everywhere. The person who wrote the review did not wipe down the windows as instructed by the complex to help prevent mildew formation. The maintenance manager said they will come in and clean-up mildew and install a dehumidifier for a few days if it does become an issue. He also suggested that using a dehumidifier is common and recommended in all complexes due to the humidity in order control mildew formation. Cheryl also saved the website to show to her boss. I was impressed by her professionalism and her ability to address my concerns.

All in all, I am renting here at Sunforest. All the 1br apartments are corner units which was nice. However, there is already a waiting list and I am 4th on the list for a 1br so if you want to guarantee yourself one you may want to call.

Take the ratings on apartmentratings.com with a grain of salt as people are most likely going to post when they are mad and angry. Also, I would highly recommend going down and taking a look around at several complexes to get a feel for what works for you.

A note about renter's insurance. $50,000 coverage runs about $118/year. You can also be added to your parents home insurance in your home state for MUCH less.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me or shoot me an e-mail ([email protected]) if you have any other questions.

Allison

Reactions: 1 user
I went apartment hunting this past week and thought I might post my review of the different places I looked at. This is probably more helpful for someone looking for a studio or 1 bedroom since thats what I was looking at. I decided on Gatehouse on the Green because it was fully renovated from the inside and cheaper than the other options.

Location: Plantation (5 miles and 12-15m drive from Nova). So not within walking/biking distance, but still a reasonable distance from the school for anyone with a car.

1) Gatehouse on the Green: :xf::xf:

• Completely renovated from the inside. New floors, new cabinets, new appliances and new countertops. Everything had been done within the past couple of years. Ceramic tile flooring in the living room was 'different'...but some people may not like it.

• Price range: 950-1070.
2) Laurels at Jacaranda: :xf: (fully renovated) :thumbdown: (un-renovated)

• Laurels is in the process of renovating their apartments, so not all of them are fully renovated and there are different levels of renovations. If you want an apartment, make sure you ask for a level 2 or level 3 renovation. Level 1 = floors, Level 2 = floors + countertops, level 3= floors + countertops + appliances. Unfortunately, the apartments without new appliances have appliances that look like they are 20 years old.
  • Price range: 920-1200- they have 3 different sizes for 1 bedrooms, a studio, 1 bedroom, and a 1 bedroom + den. (3% discount for NSU students)
  • Honestly though, it really depends on what particular apartment you get. A completely renovated apartment is great...one thats not renovated at all isn't that good. Keep that in mind when looking at this place.
3) Verona View: :thumbdown:thumbdown

• Absolutely awful. The apartments looked dirty from the outside and the inside. The lady that showed us the apartment wasn't even following us around. Had to call out to her to get her to come into the same room. She gave us practically no information about it.
  • Old appliances, old carpets, old everything. Oh, and for whatever reason...there were ducks squatting outside everywhere around the apartments. I think they nest outside the doors of the apartments. Not a huge deal for me...but it was just weird.
  • Price: 1300+. It was unreal for them to be charging this much for the crappy apartments I was shown.
Location: Davie - Close to the school. Within walking/biking distance.

4) Sunforest: :xf:

• Close proximity to Nova (one end of the community is literally across the street from Nova). If you dont have a car, biking/walking are very reasonable alternatives.
  • The apartments were alright. They weren't the newest, but they weren't awful either. Washer/Dryer hookups were +$25 a month.
  • Price range: 1100-1250. They were at 98% occupancy when I talked to them, so I'd imagine that is why the price is so high right now. If you're interested in Sunforest...you may want to contact them quickly before they are out.
5) Palm Trace Landings: :xf:

• Sister-property of Sunforest. The apartments were slightly nicer...although the manager mentioned that some had been renovated (just appliances I think and maybe floors) and some had not. You may want to ask for a newer/renovated apartment. Otherwise, pretty much the same as sunforest. A little farther away from Nova, but probably still within biking distance...maybe not walking distance.
  • If you're deciding between this and Sunforest- its pretty much a tossup. Relatively the same place.
  • Random detail: The manager just acted really strange. She made it seem like it was a big deal/hassle to even talk to us about the property listings. I told her the date I was interested in (end of july) and she said she had nothing available for that time period. She didn't even bother to really try and offer me anything earlier (i.e. early july)...I had to ask about it myself. Usually if people dont have units available when you want them, they try to work with you and find something for a different date. This wasn't the case for here...seems like if you are interested in this place, you may have to sign a lease for early july/late june because I don't think anything was available for late july (at least 1br/1bath). She answered all of our questions but she just seemed annoyed to have to deal with us and show us the apartment.
6) New River Cove::thumbdown:

• Farther away from Nova. Pretty much the same as Sunforest/Palm Trace. It's in a weird location on a secluded side street that runs parallel to the highway. Not worth it imo, go with Sunforest or Palm Trace Landings instead.
Places I was going to look at but didn't:

This was either due to apartments/leasing office looking awful from the outside or because there was no one at the leasing office when I dropped by: Jacaranda Club, Lakepointe at Jacaranda, Cameron Cove.

Good luck to anyone still looking.

Rolling Hills is convenient but you are paying a premium if you choose to live there, for pretty pathetic rooms. The big plus is that the security there is rock solid. There is a 24 hour security guard in the front lobby and a guard who patrols the parking lot at night. I lived here my 1st two years.

I suggest having an alarm system installed wherever you decide to live in Davie, if possible. I personally know 1 girl who had her apartment burglarized in Sunforest and know there was a shooting at Palm Trace a year or two ago. One of my classmates who lived in Royal Grande had his car stolen within a month of moving to Davie. Burglarly and car theft is a major problem in all the apartment complexes surrounding the school. The shooting was a bit out of character for Davie. I personally didn't have any problems around the school, at any hour.

If you have the funds and are willing to drive the extra distance, my opinion is that Aventura is hands down the nicest area to live in. It's a 20-25 minute drive to school and I wish I had found out about the city my 1st year. The problem is price and distance, but the benefits are secluded gated apartment complexes and lots of restaurants and ocean to enjoy.

Rolling Hills is convenient but you are paying a premium if you choose to live there, for pretty pathetic rooms. The big plus is that the security there is rock solid. There is a 24 hour security guard in the front lobby and a guard who patrols the parking lot at night. I lived here my 1st two years.

I suggest having an alarm system installed wherever you decide to live in Davie, if possible. I personally know 1 girl who had her apartment burglarized in Sunforest and know there was a shooting at Palm Trace a year or two ago. One of my classmates who lived in Royal Grande had his car stolen within a month of moving to Davie. Burglarly and car theft is a major problem in all the apartment complexes surrounding the school. The shooting was a bit out of character for Davie. I personally didn't have any problems around the school, at any hour.

If you have the funds and are willing to drive the extra distance, my opinion is that Aventura is hands down the nicest area to live in. It's a 20-25 minute drive to school and I wish I had found out about the city my 1st year. The problem is price and distance, but the benefits are secluded gated apartment complexes and lots of restaurants and ocean to enjoy.

:thumbup: Appreciate the input.

How did the majority of your classmates handle finding roommates before M1? Facebook? SDN? The NSU roommate finder?

I will be attending Nova next fall, my fiance will be moving with me to Florida with our dog, and I was just curious how expensive renting a house with a small back yard would be within 20 minutes of the campus.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say that I'm looking forward to seeing all of you next fall!

Are there any former military joining us? Anyone live in the Boynton Beach/Palm Beach County area?

Regards,

MF

Hello, c/o 2016er here :) I'm taking that Aventura advice and running with it, thanks. I also met a family from Miami visiting NYC this weekend who agreed this is the place to go.) I know it's a bit far but as a 20-something yr old female moving from NYC I really don't want to be somewhere without a 24 hour doorman or someone accounting for the comings and goings. Since its close to the beach I'm fortunate that my parents are going to help me out because they'll be more inclined to make extended visits than if I were further inland.

Any fellow incomings looking in the Aventura area?? Hoping there'll be enough for a local study group! :)

M1s & M2s, my only fear in this whole thing is leaving my two dogs behind in NY. I know I'll have to leave them til I get myself settled and adjusted, but what is the schedule like as far as when you're on campus most days? I'm worried I won't be able to bring them down at all :( I realize that living closer to the school would make this less of a problem but that's not really an option for me. Thanks!

You might have better luck posting this in the c/o 2015 or 2016 facebook pages. This thread isn't getting much action.

to all the current MSU students, can anyone tell me how much time you have to study for boards? How much time do you have between the last day of exams of M2 and the 1st day of M3 rotations?

Also, what kind of board prep material is supplied to the M1s at the moment? thanks!!!

Can someone explain the difference between WebCT, WebStar, SharkLink and WebMail?!?!?!

Can someone explain the difference between WebCT, WebStar, SharkLink and WebMail?!?!?!

Sharklink is the main hub from which you can access all the others (although mail just changed). WebCT is where you go for class things, sorta like Blackboard or other systems. Get syllabi, homework, ppts, tht stuff. WebStar is your paperwork area. Go there for financial aid, matriculation documents, grades, etc. WebMail is, well, webmail. Email, you access it through outlook.

Also, on the security stuff. ILikeFood is entitled to his opinion but I respectfully disagree. There have been some burglaries in the area but it is pretty safe. Like anywhere, be careful at night but don't lose sleep over it. The bubble around the school tends to be unique so I can't speak on other areas but I've never felt unsafe here and don't know anyone who has. Not to start any arguments, just thought I'd add my 0.02. Specifically, there's no reason to feel that you need a 24 hour doorman. Alarm isn't a bad idea if you can foot the bill but let's not live our lives in fear.

Sharklink is the main hub from which you can access all the others (although mail just changed). WebCT is where you go for class things, sorta like Blackboard or other systems. Get syllabi, homework, ppts, tht stuff. WebStar is your paperwork area. Go there for financial aid, matriculation documents, grades, etc. WebMail is, well, webmail. Email, you access it through outlook.

Also, on the security stuff. ILikeFood is entitled to his opinion but I respectfully disagree. There have been some burglaries in the area but it is pretty safe. Like anywhere, be careful at night but don't lose sleep over it. The bubble around the school tends to be unique so I can't speak on other areas but I've never felt unsafe here and don't know anyone who has. Not to start any arguments, just thought I'd add my 0.02. Specifically, there's no reason to feel that you need a 24 hour doorman. Alarm isn't a bad idea if you can foot the bill but let's not live our lives in fear.

I agree. My statements were not meant as a knock against the neighborhood, just some things to keep in mind before an M1 moves there.

Hey all! So I live exactly 2.8 miles from campus in an area called Pine Island Ridge. It's just off of Pine Island Rd and 595. Very easily accessible. I am looking to rent a room for 12 months. I live in an 2/2 apartment with full amenities. It's a top floor, 4th floor, apartment. Very quiet neighborhood. If anyone would like more information let me know! My brother is an M1 currently at NSU and is moving out and getting married! I am from the West Palm area myself attending NSU undergrad for Athletic Training and will be a senior this coming fall.

Can the forum moderator PLEAAAASE change the name of the thread to call CAPS? "NSUCOM 2016", just like all the other thread names? Sorry this realllllly bothers me every time I'm in this thread.

thanks a bunch!

Hey Class of 2016! I, too, will be attending NOVA this fall! I was hoping one of you might know when new student orientation is and/or when the first day of class is? No one in the office can provide an exact day AND I cannot find next year's academic calendar online. Please help!

Thanks!

Hi all, thanks for the great thread.

What are the first year clinical experiences like? How often do you have patient contact in what kind of setting ( e.g., hospital, clinic) and in what capacity?

Hi all, thanks for the great thread.

What are the first year clinical experiences like? How often do you have patient contact in what kind of setting ( e.g., hospital, clinic) and in what capacity?

We do a primary care preceptorship for an afternoon every other week somewhere in the Miami/FtL/WPB megalopolis. Everybody gets a unique doctor (I think they are all DOs) so the capacity varies a bit. Some people have better experiences than others. Mine has been fantastic, my preceptor graduated from SECOM (before the SE/Nova merger) so he really cares that I get a lot out of it. He started me right away with vitals and interviews, shows me interesting cases and has a knack for showing me particular ones that are relevant to what I am learning/have learned.

Last edited:
Good to hear! One more question; I know most of the first two years are large didactic lectures. How much academic support do you get from the faculty/TAs? Are there "recitations" or any other structured opportunities for small group learning?

Thanks again.

woooo novaaaaa! where is everyone living?

Good to hear! One more question; I know most of the first two years are large didactic lectures. How much academic support do you get from the faculty/TAs? Are there "recitations" or any other structured opportunities for small group learning?

Thanks again.

Small group stuff for the major sciences doesn't happen much during 1st year. My understanding is that some does happen during 2nd, but I can't say for certain. As far as organized reviews go, we do have some put on by the faculty (particular faculty are more likely than others). One of the big resources we have for reviews are the MBS graduates; students who pass Nova's SMP are placed into the 1st year class and don't have to retake courses they received a 90 or better in. Those students then run review sessions during lunch for those classes. They took the classes last year so they know what is tested and how, and are a very valuable resource. I'm always surprised when their sessions don't have 200+ attendees. Academic support otherwise is pretty good, if you go to class you are likely to be able to get the ear of any of your professors and there is an open door policy. I've never felt shut-out or on my own.

Oh yeah and the OPP fellows (students taking a year off between 2nd and 3rd year to TA OPP and work in the clinic) put on structured reviews before the practicals and our SOSA and CMDA clubs put on anatomy reviews ahead of anatomy/neuroanatomy practicals/exams. Those are staffed by 2nd years and MBS grads (1st year SMP grads as good if not better than 2nd years, see above).

TL;DR some official reviews go on but the meat is in the student-run reviews. NSU is very student-communal and we all pitch in (group hug time)

Hey guys, first of all congratulations!

I'm an M2 and I own a 2-bedroom/2-bath condo right outside the school that I'm looking to rent for $1200/mo.
The address is 3100 West Rolling Hills Cir Apt 102 Davie, Fl 33328. It's about a half a mile away from school.

Highlights:

• Marble flooring in main living area (bedrooms are tile)
  • Kitchen has granite counter top, stainless steel fridge, convection oven, glass-top stove, dishwasher
  • Washer/dryer combo in unit
  • Small pets allowed
  • Community Pool
  • Twin-size bed included
Please feel free to email me ([email protected]) and I'll be glad to tell you more, and of course send you pictures. On a side note, I can be pretty helpful for info on your first 2 years so don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Thanks guys!​
-Shaakir​

Hey Class of 2016! I, too, will be attending NOVA this fall! I was hoping one of you might know when new student orientation is and/or when the first day of class is? No one in the office can provide an exact day AND I cannot find next year's academic calendar online. Please help!

Thanks!

Do your best to be patient, but I can almost guarantee you'll start the first week of August. ...Now that I look at the calendar I guess that's more likely the 6th. I'm an M1, and I think our fall term starts on the 30th of July, but that's of little relevance since we'll get mostly clinicians and y'all get the PhDs and a spattering of some DO/MD and DPMs (so the calendars don't have to line up) (and yeah, you'll have a few DPMs in anatomy- they're great. One's a surgeon, not sure what the other did in practice, but he's good too).

I'm on the curriculum committee here, so feel free to shoot me up with academic questions! There's a lot of nonsense on SDN, but I'm glad to see Nova's page here seems on point (of the little I've seen). People often whine about things here but... they need to talk to their friends at other DO and MD schools. It's all the same. Biochem is disorganized. The PhD's struggle between clinical and research relevance (so you often learn more than you'll ever need, clinically), etc. My buddies at other schools all complain about the same stuff.

Overall NSUCOM is a great school, and I've had a ball getting to know the faculty. Davie leaves much to be desired, but whatever.

Congrat's, by the way, on getting in!