Nuclear boards...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreakofMeds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told for the past year that the nuclear boards are generally straightforward. I did the videos, answered the ASNC question modules, read some of Heller.

I finished the exam today, and this thing was tough!!! I just recently did the echo boards, and even though the exam was tough, I still scored ~84% of the questions right, and everyone was telling me the echoboards are a tougher test. Well I can tell you the nuclear board felt just as tough as the echo boards....

I mean the images were not easy, there was a TON of TID, or what I thought looked like TID. Also straight forward artifacts were not there.

I have no idea what the passing score is. If anyone is familiar with the passing score / passing rate of the CBNC exam, please let me know. I am also wondering if anyone else that has done this test has any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Passing rate in years past has been about 80ish percent

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people have said about 70% but in all honesty I do no know if that was made up. So really the answer is no I dont.

Edit: found this http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1936878X08003732

Which says you need 124-130 questions right to pass or roughly 71-74% right. This was when there was a 74% pass rate thing so perhaps they lowered the bar.

Could not agree more with this post. I took echo earlier this year and nuclear this past week. Echo did feel tougher but nuclear wasn't a cakewalk as most former test-takers told me, definitely not a test I could pass with a week prep. Studied for couple months and still found the test difficult. Im banking on the fact that I passed echo despite it feeling tough (got 80%), so hopefully ill pass this too. :-I

I couldn't agree more. I thought it was pretty tough also.

Getting anxious. Any idea when the results came out last year?

Found a historical thread from 2012 on the CBNC exam results. At that time, they mailed results on 2/15 with many receiving results on 2/19.

Going off the printout after the exam and the website, we can likely expect the same.

Anxiously waiting here, too.

Hey guys....just a quick question. I'm coming from Canada. How do you guys get your 80 hours of Radiation Safety lectures?

Are we supposed to get an Email that they mailed the results or what is going in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Per their web site:
http://www.cccvi.org/cbnc/

"CBNC Exam Results to be Mailed Friday, Feb. 19

We are working diligently to complete the process of mailing exam results for the 2015 CBNC Certification and Recertification exams. At this time, we expect all letters to be mailed by close of business on Friday, February 19, 2016. Exam results will be sent via the US Postal Service."

So, that means some people should be getting their results over the coming days.

They've made it clear they send results ONLY by snail mail (http://www.cccvi.org/cbnc/content_150.cfm).

Per their web site:
http://www.cccvi.org/cbnc/

"CBNC Exam Results to be Mailed Friday, Feb. 19

We are working diligently to complete the process of mailing exam results for the 2015 CBNC Certification and Recertification exams. At this time, we expect all letters to be mailed by close of business on Friday, February 19, 2016. Exam results will be sent via the US Postal Service."

So, that means some people should be getting their results over the coming days.

They've made it clear they send results ONLY by snail mail (http://www.cccvi.org/cbnc/content_150.cfm).

This is so silly. At this day and age, why the paper mail? Just make it a pdf that shows up when we log on our account like the rest of the modern world...

Probably because they cater to a much smaller, select group of physicians. Not like AAMC, NBME, or ABIM, which make millions from exam fees and can afford some secure IT management.

I am probably as equally frustrated as you and the rest of the waiting exam candidates.

Looks like they updated their site yesterday:

"Scores for the 2015 CBNC Certification and Recertification exams were mailed on February 19, 2016. Scores will NOT be provided over email or phone and will only be received via regular US postal mail. The online verification page will be updated to include successful candidates from the 2015 exams on Friday, February 26th. Information on exam scoring and appeals may be found under CBNC Pre and Post Exam Information by "clicking" on the above link."

Got the score today. Passed! Suprisingly did much better than i thought. Passing score for future reference was 104 out of 153 questions. The actual exam had 175, but looks like they took a bunch out.

Got the score today. Passed! Suprisingly did much better than i thought. Passing score for future reference was 104 out of 153 questions. The actual exam had 175, but looks like they took a bunch out.

Congrats, me too. So you needed 68-69% right to pass (which was slightly lower than previous years)

What did you guys use for studying?

I used the videos from ?ASNC (I think it was ASNC) and some old exams from like the early 2000s. They were good and really all I thought I needed

Second the ASNC review course material.

Started having anxiety attacks when you guys posted passing results, and mine hadn't arrived until today.

Wanted to contribute my experience. I also felt the exam was relatively difficult, similar if not a bit harder than echo boards - probably because I underestimated its difficulty (based on what I had heard from prior examinees). A lot of questions that were not straightforward and also felt lot I was overcalling TID as well. Also, they ask "trivia" questions every so often that I did not come across during my review.

I also recommend the ASNC review course. What was tough for me was there wasn't a reliable question book for Nuc as there is for echo boards. There is a question bank sponsored by the ASNC but the cost is prohibitive as you have to buy each module separately and it adds up quickly. Also, I did try one of the modules (didn't end up buying all the modules due to the cost) and I'd say the yield is not much better than other question books you can get from Amazon.

In the end, I did pass - thankfully! Did better than expected but honestly, just happy to have passed and was nervous about the results. The # of correct questions needed for my report was 103 and the total questions included was 154, very slightly diff #'s from FreakofMeds. This is a % correct of 66.9%. FWIW, I spoke to one of my nuclear attendings and he mentioned for the traditional Nuc boards, they have the % correct at about 30-40% which makes most of the examinees feel demoralized afterwards. Likely, they have some of the same people contributing to the questions for CBNC...

For anyone who has not recieved the snail mail yet and is waiting, the CBNC website updated, and you can verify your certification / testamur status online to see if you passed.

For anyone who has not recieved the snail mail yet and is waiting, the CBNC website updated, and you can verify your certification / testamur status online to see if you passed.

I forgot, I also perused the Jaber/Ciquera book. It was pretty good and for those who don't have access to another question bank, this was good (especially good for the clinical side of things I thought)