Numb.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, third MCAT was a bust. No improvement. Probably not even good enough for DO. I held myself together today, but it just hit me.

Ugh.

Members don't see this ad.

Celebrate that you held yourself together. Seriously. Every day, find something to be thankful for.

Take a day or 2 or 3 and think about next steps. And remember, it will be okay. Maybe not today, or tomorrow, but it will be okay.

Reactions: 1 user
Might want to consider other options at this point. The MCAT is a fairly good predictor of how well you will do on the USMLE/COMLEX, so if you've bombed it three times, you might want to make a realistic assessment of whether you did your best, and, if so, that perhaps your best effort might not be able to get you through medical school even if you were to be admitted. I'm not saying all of this to be harsh, I'm just saying that you should do a realistic self assessment.

Did you do everything you could to succeed? If no, then why? If yes, then perhaps you should reconsider.

Were there confounding factors that you honestly felt hurt your performance? If yes, remember that such things will always occur throughout life, and that, through the several years you go through training, such things will occur, and might affect you at a later point in your career in a similar way.

Do you feel you lacked the resources to succeed? Did you use TBR, EK, etc? If not, maybe it's worth another try. Kaplan and other prep courses are actually quote poor preparation for the MCAT on their own, and most people I have known that use only one resource tend to fail quite miserably. If yes, then, again, maybe this path isn't for you.

Is there anything other than medicine that you feel can make you happy? PA, podiatry, NP, getting an MBA, anything? If so, give these alternate paths very serious consideration, as becoming a physician isn't all that great, honestly, and you'll likely be underwhelmed by what's on the other side of the fence. If not, and if there's deficits that you could see yourself rectifying, maybe it's worth giving the MCAT another go.

Ask yourself these questions and more, and give yourself a long, honest reflection as to why you want to be a physician, whether you've done everything you can to do well on the MCAT, why you failed, what your limits are, and what other options you might be content with.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, third MCAT was a bust. No improvement. Probably not even good enough for DO. I held myself together today, but it just hit me.

Ugh.
Are you more venting or looking for advice? If it's the latter, more info on your background, prep, and goals would be helpful in order to give you useful advice. If it's the former, vent away, my friend.

Reactions: 1 users
If you want to practice medicine, why not look into podiatry? They are very much accepting of lower MCAT's and you'll get to be a doctor in the end...you can even operate. It's a solid career - take a look.