Number of citation & quality of research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hummm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was fooling around with the google scholar, which shows the number of citation of each article, and came up with a question.

Do the number of citation of a particular researcher's publications (esp first author publications) speaks to the quality of the research that they do? For example, i was looking up two junior faculty's name (those who got their phd in similar time around 2009/2010). One person has few first author publications that was cited 100-200 times while another has 15-20. What does this difference tell you?

Members don't see this ad.

Doesn't say much without context. Someone can do high quality research in a "not hot" field and not get cited all that much. Another person can do mediocre research in an "hot topic" area and get cited dozens of times per article.

Reactions: 1 user
I was fooling around with the google scholar, which shows the number of citation of each article, and came up with a question.

Do the number of citation of a particular researcher's publications (esp first author publications) speaks to the quality of the research that they do? For example, i was looking up two junior faculty's name (those who got their phd in similar time around 2009/2010). One person has few first author publications that was cited 100-200 times while another has 15-20. What does this difference tell you?

Hey there,

Are you trying to get us to do your economics homework, again?! If so, that's not cool.
:cool:

Do the number speak to the quality of the research? What do you think? I think two researchers propagate their research at different rates. That's for sure. I would have to know more. Like what is the topic: Breast Cancer and ALS? Breast Cancer is usually associated with other cancers so the rates of research could be 100-200 more publications than most. Versus, say, ALS, which specific to the disorder, hence requiring closer, longer-term, comparative studies, then I could see 10-20 really novel benchmark manuscripts (that blow many things out of the water).You may need more information? I would.